Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mornin' Guys,

Can someone please explain the "operating within proximity of an airport" rules to me? Specifically, what constitutes an "airport"? Of course, LAX, JFK, BWI, etc are airports but what about smaller, non-commercial, private runways? Are non-towered, privately-owned "residential airparks" considered airports?

Here in SE Texas, it seems like there are dirt cropduster strips EVERYWHERE. If all runways fall under the FAA's definition of "airport", I'll have to move to rural New Mexico before I won't be within 5 miles of an "airport"!!!

Thanks,

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 06-29-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling error
Old 06-29-2016, 08:21 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Harvey! You're probably not far off at all. As I understand it, and I may be wrong, any place that has ever had a full-size plane on it is considered to be an airport. From various threads here, I understand there are strips across the country that haven't seen a plane in DECADES and are still classified as active airports. Guess they're just like taxes - once there, always there.

I have an active privately owned airport just a couple miles from where I fly - no tower, nothing more than a runway and fuel tank. I've been flying here for over 30 years and have never heard a peep from them - whoever they are. Typically, there are 4-5 planes parked there all the time, 2 helis operate from there daily, no problems. Of course, I'm flying 90 degrees from their runway direction and I'm about 4 miles from there, but still no problems.

Guess it's going to depend on your specific situation too.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H5487
Mornin' Guys,

Can someone please explain the "operating within proximity of an airport" rules to me? Specifically, what constitutes an "airport"? Of course, LAX, JFK, BWI, etc are airports but what about smaller, non-commercial, private runways? Are non-towered, privately-owned "residential airparks" considered airports?

Here in SE Texas, it seems like there are dirt cropduster strips EVERYWHERE. If all runways fall under the FAA's definition of "airport", I'll have to move to rural New Mexico before I won't be within 5 miles of an "airport"!!!

Thanks,

Harvey
Shoot just go over one day when the plane is parked and just asked if you can just fly from his strip lol. He'll probably say yes especially if you say you have AMA coverage up to 1million or so.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Shoot just go over one day when the plane is parked and just asked if you can just fly from his strip lol. He'll probably say yes especially if you say you have AMA coverage up to 1million or so.
You are not required to ask permission, send a letter telling him where you will be flying from.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
H5487

Skylark-Flier,

PM sent

Harvey
Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
You are not required to ask permission, send a letter telling him where you will be flying from.
Sport Pilot,

I sent you a PM.

Harvey
Old 06-29-2016, 09:49 AM
GSXR1000

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot

I know that, i'm telling him to go the airstrip and just fly from there, maybe that can do some formation flying
Old 06-30-2016, 06:45 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Good for you ! I am actually almost in the same boat. NO PUN INTENDED ! LOL
I have a recently completed BUSA Eindecker 90 and have not even taken it out of my building shop yet to fire up the engine or perform a maiden test flight. But, I have considered running my Warehouse Hobbies Off Shore boat. Mind you with NO worries or problems from any organizations.
Quite frankly I have been flying my giant Rascal, Giant Stick, and Joungmann bipe w/o problems at all from any organization EVER. Well, all my "problem" was that I had to put my registration number inside my models...

If you really like to worry about things that might happen sometime in the future, start worrying about death, because you will all DIE (one day). The past is gone forever, let it go. The future? Why would I worry about something that might or not happen. I know my days are numbered... As do you!

I prefer to enjoy today, because I can, so, when I am not working or traveling, I enjoy this hobby exactly like I did about 40 years ago, when I started. Life is way to short to waste...

Gerry.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Quite frankly I have been flying my giant Rascal, Giant Stick, and Joungmann bipe w/o problems at all from any organization EVER. Well, all my "problem" was that I had to put my registration number inside my models...

If you really like to worry about things that might happen sometime in the future, start worrying about death, because you will all DIE (one day). The past is gone forever, let it go. The future? Why would I worry about something that might or not happen. I know my days are numbered... As do you!

I prefer to enjoy today, because I can, so, when I am not working or traveling, I enjoy this hobby exactly like I did about 40 years ago, when I started. Life is way to short to waste...

Gerry.
Great outlook...so much wasted energy and time worrying and complaining about the past, and wondering about all the bad things that might happen in the future. Now is now...and there's plenty of great flying to be done.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Silent-AV8R

I would not put my dancing shoes on just yet. Word today is the Congress is close to a compromise FAA authorization extension through the end of 2017 that will contain "most elements" of the Senate version.

https://morningconsult.com/2016/06/2...eadline-looms/
Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I would not put my dancing shoes on just yet. Word today is the Congress is close to a compromise FAA authorization extension through the end of 2017 that will contain "most elements" of the Senate version.

https://morningconsult.com/2016/06/2...eadline-looms/
Stay tuned for the next exciting episode........................... .

Mike
Old 06-30-2016, 01:35 PM
H5487

Originally Posted by GerKonig

Gerry.
Originally Posted by porcia83
Great outlook...so much wasted energy and time worrying and complaining about the past, and wondering about all the bad things that might happen in the future. Now is now...and there's plenty of great flying to be done.
That IS a great outlook but it seems to me that there's a touch of Sticking-Your-Head-In-The Sand in it. Unfortunately, no matter how rosey we want life to be, we still need to keep one eye on Washington because our government has a bad record of The-Camel's-Nose-Under-The-Tent syndrome!

If my metaphors are confusing, PM me.

Harvey
Old 06-30-2016, 01:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Stay tuned for the next exciting episode........................... .

Mike
I'm on the edge of my seat!
Old 06-30-2016, 01:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

That IS a great outlook but it seems to me that there's a touch of Sticking-Your-Head-In-The Sand in it. Unfortunately, no matter how rosey we want life to be, we still need to keep one eye on Washington because our government has a bad record of The-Camel's-Nose-Under-The-Tent syndrome!

Harvey
Metaphorically speaking, I'm buying what your sellin.

I usually get the rose colored lens r or Pollyanna comment, so the camel/tent thing is refreshing!

There is a balance between those, and the constant doom and gloom and the world is coming to an end philosophy that some espouse here. I've been a constant champion of doing more than just complaining online, in fact constantly advocating folks getting more involved. A collective voice is more powerful than a single voice. We all must be educated and vigilant as to what is going on that can adversely affect us. We need to make the AMA aware of local and state issues, and then trust that they have the ability to run with the ball. While not perfect, I'm o/k with how they have handled the situation overall to date.

Meanwhile, I think folks should go out and fly as much, and as often as they can, even more so in areas other than TX where you folks seem to have great flying weather for most of the year! Some of the clubs and flying fields look absolutely amazing down there. Huge plots of land, all flat, no annoying trees to jump up and snatch a plane....so nice!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:05 PM
rcmiket

Harvey
Trust is earned and they ( our government) have a way to go to earn back mine.

Mike
Old 06-30-2016, 05:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Trust is earned and they ( our government) have a way to go to earn back mine.

Mike
Did they ever have it to begin with?
Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did they ever have it to begin with?
Yeah, once ... long, long ago.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:17 AM
GSXR1000

We had the FAA over to our field once already, since we lease from the corp of engineers on a lake... The FAA guy didn't know all rules and cited us for lots of bs. He said we couldn't fly inverted over our main run way which is wrong, He then got on us about our own bylaws because we weren't displaying our AMA cards on our old frequency board and some other stuff that he didn't know or make up. So we are now policing ourselves with leaving our AMA cards on our board.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:29 AM
rcmiket

We had the FAA over to our field once already, since we lease from the corp of engineers on a lake... The FAA guy didn't know all rules and cited us for lots of bs. He said we couldn't fly inverted over our main run way which is wrong, He then got on us about our own bylaws because we weren't displaying our AMA cards on our old frequency board and some other stuff that he didn't know or make up. So we are now policing ourselves with leaving our AMA cards on our board.
Why am I not surprised by that. Just another government official with no clue. Unfortunately they hold all the cards.

Mike
Old 07-01-2016, 05:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

What? Sounds completely bizzare. He can't just make stuff up, nor are your club's bylaws part of his duties. Not sure I follow the citation thing either? Can you post up pics of what he gave you? I'd request everything in writing from him going forward. Also...get his immediate supervisor and his next in command as well. Something seems off.... documentation will be important.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:04 AM
GSXR1000

What? Sounds completely bizzare. He can't just make stuff up, nor are your club's bylaws part of his duties. Not sure I follow the citation thing either? Can you post up pics of what he gave you? I'd request everything in writing from him going forward. Also...get his immediate supervisor and his next in command as well. Something seems off.... documentation will be important.
We didn't get anything written, this is what he brought verbally to the members at the flying field the day he showed up. Yeah I wondered myself why he would bring up our bylaws about having our AMA cards posted, and about flying inverted over the field...I don't know if he has been back to the field to follow up, i'll email our prez and ask him about all the things the faa guy brought up.

another thing he brought up was us taxing to the pits, that has nothing to do with airspace.... once the plane is on the ground..

Last edited by GSXR1000; 07-01-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Please post copies of the citations.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Why am I not surprised by that. Just another government official with no clue. Unfortunately they hold all the cards.

Mike
It's not just the government officials....
Old 07-01-2016, 06:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

We didn't get anything written, this is what he brought verbally to the members at the flying field the day he showed up. Yeah I wondered myself why he would bring up our bylaws about having our AMA cards posted, and about flying inverted over the field...I don't know if he has been back to the field to follow up, i'll email our prez and ask him about all the things the faa guy brought up.

another thing he brought up was us taxing to the pits, that has nothing to do with airspace.... once the plane is on the ground..
Did you get his name, field office, badge number, etc? Sounds likely it was someone impersonating a government official. There's no way a legitimate FAA official would be asking about club by-laws or a frequency board.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
No, they don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.