Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't think BLOS operations are legal yet.
Referring to the future.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:35 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

2nd time to post this link in the last year.

http://www.dronevibes.com/forums/thr...1/#post-223099

mini ADS-B is already on at least 1 MR that is flying these days.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:37 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

this one even appears to be a better idea

http://www.dronevibes.com/forums/thr...8/#post-224534
Old 07-11-2016, 06:19 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Members, We want to share with you a promising development related to FAA reauthorization. The House and Senate came to an agreement last week on language for a short-term FAA funding extension. Importantly for our hobby, this extension preserves the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (the AMA amendment included in the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act) through September 2017. AMA aggressively engaged with both the House and Senate during the drafting process to achieve the best possible result for our members. The bill affirms our right to continue to fly within AMA's community-based safety program and free from additional government regulations, as Congress continues to recognize the importance and safety commitment of community-based organizations like the AMA. Meanwhile, it does not contain the problematic language that existed in earlier FAA bills. When passed, this new law will not preclude the need for FAA registration, AMA is still working to resolve this issue. We expect the House and Senate to vote on the extension, and the President to sign it into law, sometime this week. Once this happens, the status quo will remain in effect for our members through September 2017. While this legislation will provide some short-term clarity for our members, we know many of you want and expect long-term certainty for our hobby. This extension gives us more than a year to work with Congress on a long-term reauthorization bill that will further strengthen the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and advance other protections of our longstanding hobby. We will update you next week once the FAA extension passes the House and Senate, and is signed into law. Thank you for your continued support of AMA. Kind regards, AMA Government Affairs Team
Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Dear Members, We want to share with you a promising development related to FAA reauthorization. The House and Senate came to an agreement last week on language for a short-term FAA funding extension. Importantly for our hobby, this extension preserves the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (the AMA amendment included in the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act) through September 2017. AMA aggressively engaged with both the House and Senate during the drafting process to achieve the best possible result for our members. The bill affirms our right to continue to fly within AMA's community-based safety program and free from additional government regulations, as Congress continues to recognize the importance and safety commitment of community-based organizations like the AMA. Meanwhile, it does not contain the problematic language that existed in earlier FAA bills. When passed, this new law will not preclude the need for FAA registration, AMA is still working to resolve this issue. We expect the House and Senate to vote on the extension, and the President to sign it into law, sometime this week. Once this happens, the status quo will remain in effect for our members through September 2017. While this legislation will provide some short-term clarity for our members, we know many of you want and expect long-term certainty for our hobby. This extension gives us more than a year to work with Congress on a long-term reauthorization bill that will further strengthen the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and advance other protections of our longstanding hobby. We will update you next week once the FAA extension passes the House and Senate, and is signed into law. Thank you for your continued support of AMA. Kind regards, AMA Government Affairs Team
So basically, we have a year or so stay....
I guess, during this period; we'll see what trickles down from all these studies FAA is supposed to have....
Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

ya, pretty much.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:17 AM
H5487

Can someone clarify something for me? The way I understand it, as long as we abide by a set of community-based standards (universally understood to be the AMA's safety code), then the FAA will leave non-commercial model airplanes alone. I assume this means that those modelers who join AMA are considered to be following those standards but what about those who aren't members?

I guess, in a nutshell, I'm asking if joining AMA is going to become a requirement if non-commercial modelers don't want to be hassled by the FAA?

Harvey
Old 07-12-2016, 05:20 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by H5487
I guess, in a nutshell, I'm asking if joining AMA is going to become a requirement if non-commercial modelers don't want to be hassled by the FAA?

Harvey
That's the million dollar question. The AMA would love it if that were to happen but other CBO's could be formed.
Here's one.

http://www.dontflystupid.org/

How can they be excluded?

Mike
Old 07-12-2016, 05:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Can someone clarify something for me? The way I understand it, as long as we abide by a set of community-based standards (universally understood to be the AMA's safety code), then the FAA will leave non-commercial model airplanes alone. I assume this means that those modelers who join AMA are considered to be following those standards but what about those who aren't members?

Harvey
I'd wager the same million dollar question and say no....it's not in the cards. The federal govt is not going to force a member of the public to join the AMA or any other CBO in order to fly an airplane. Nobody has been "hassled" to date either, and the FAA certainly isn't staffed to start doing that now.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

I'd wager the same million dollar question and say no....it's not in the cards. The federal govt is not going to force a member of the public to join the AMA or any other CBO in order to fly an airplane. Nobody has been "hassled" to date either, and the FAA certainly isn't staffed to start doing that now.
Why not? They are making you buy health insurance or pay a tax. The FAA could do the same thing. Tax all new drones for say $200 or pay the AMA less.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
That's the million dollar question. The AMA would love it if that were to happen but other CBO's could be formed.
Here's one.

Mike
LoL...ya, who could possibly think they wouldn't be taken seriously.

Is there any sane person that could look at that complete joke of a site and think anyone would give it more than a chuckle? Perhaps those are the same people who read an article on The Onion and take it as gospel. It takes more than a Go Daddy website and some rantings to become a CBO. Then again, so far nobody has taken a serious crack at it, other than some folks calling themselves the "Drone Underground Group". They might have a legimate shot at creating something, however they have lifted the AMA's language almost word for word.

I'm sure the AMA would like more members, in fact they plan on it. Over 200,000 to be exact. Membership has been on an upswing for some time now (since about 2012), and despite many of the "traditional" modelers predicting nobody who flew MR would join, that's been proven to be 100% incorrect.

http://www.dontflystupid.org/hall-of-shame.html

6 video examples of stupid flying, only problem is 5 of them are the same video of a guy on a bike. Looks polished and professional! I seem to recall you having a big problem with a dead link and misspelling, but this site you think is legit? LoL!

Last edited by porcia83; 07-12-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

Why not? They are making you buy health insurance or pay a tax. The FAA could do the same thing. Tax all new drones for say $200 or pay the AMA less.
So...in effect you don't really have to have health insurance is what you are saying? What again would be the incentive for this huge govt agency to force little johnny to join the AMA? Please don't say payoffs, or something along those lines.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Here's one.

Mike
What a great name for a CBO...I'm looking forward to seeing this pop up on sig lines like all those "Brotherhood" affiliations I see.

Don'tflystupid Brotherhood # 12.

Lol....it has a nice ring to it.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

So...in effect you don't really have to have health insurance is what you are saying? What again would be the incentive for this huge govt agency to force little johnny to join the AMA? Please don't say payoffs, or something along those lines.
No and some are paying the tax because the health insurance went up too much. They could do the same hoping that they will fly from AMA fields and leave the airports alone. But with millions of drones sold they might do it just for the tax!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:17 AM
H5487

I suspect that a tax on drones, especially a big tax, would be counterproductive because I think that more drone owners would then "go rogue" than pay the tax.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:25 AM
porcia83
Banned

No and some are paying the tax because the health insurance went up too much. They could do the same hoping that they will fly from AMA fields and leave the airports alone. But with millions of drones sold they might do it just for the tax!
Right, so in effect one doesn't have to buy health insurance.

Your assumption is flawed in that there are plenty of existing AMA fields that are already close to airfields. In fact, some are actually AT airports. So how exactly would that work again? What about the park flyer program and those "fields"?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

I suspect that a tax on drones, especially a big tax, would be counterproductive because I think that more drone owners would then "go rogue" than pay the tax.
Yup, agree.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Right, so in effect one doesn't have to buy health insurance.

Your assumption is flawed in that there are plenty of existing AMA fields that are already close to airfields. In fact, some are actually AT airports. So how exactly would that work again? What about the park flyer program and those "fields"?
Hey its hyperbole!! Nit pick if you want. The government will likely find a way and do it if the present trend continues.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

The government would be happy because they can then fine the rogues. In other words its about the money and control, not protecting the public. OK some hyperbole their, but you get the point?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:04 AM
rcmiket

Looking at the number of "drones" sold vs the number that have registered I think we still have a rogue problem without a tax.

Mike
Old 07-12-2016, 07:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

Hey its hyperbole!! Nit pick if you want. The government will likely find a way and do it if the present trend continues.
it's not nitpicking if what you said wasn't true, hyperbole notwithstanding. As for the what might happen in the future, sure, anything is possible. The predictions though are always ominous and negative and are almost always absent on reason or motive. Since AMA fields are already flying well within 5 miles of many airports, and some are actually ON airport property, I don't see the govt forcing folks to join AMA.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:08 AM
H5487

The government would be happy because they can then fine the rogues. In other words its about the money and control, not protecting the public. OK some hyperbole their, but you get the point?
The end reality might be more truth than hyperbole.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

Flawed again..."they" can already fine the rogue flyers to begin with, a tax has nothing to do with that? They aren't making any "money" on fines, those go to a general fund, not the FAA. And control is a part of protecting the public.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Looking at the number of "drones" sold vs the number that have registered I think we still have a rogue problem without a tax.

Mike
There will always be a rouge problem, regardless of the aircraft being flown, laws being enacted, taxes or fines being levied.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
So basically, we have a year or so stay....
I guess, during this period; we'll see what trickles down from all these studies FAA is supposed to have....
Any update on that FAA visit to your club?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.