Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 PM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Grief!!! I go off to an FAA meeting for a couple of hours and then come back to find y'all still going at it!

First off, Franklin M's background in aviation is probably better than all of the rest of us combined! I have NO doubts that he knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately, when he talks, few are listening here because those few cannot, or will not, accept that his education and experience probably trumps EVERYTHING the rest of us have done with our lives!

Second, neither Franklin nor the military can say that, someday, there will NEVER be another accident. With such a HUGE array of variables that cannot be controlled 100% (such as material stresses, corrosion, weather, etc) a TOTALLY accident free future just isn't going to happen. At least not in our lifetimes!

What military accident investigations attempt to do is to identify the steps that led up to the crash, figure what could've/should've been done to break that chain of events (and thus, lead to a different outcome) and then incorporate those findings into future pilot training, aircraft design, maintenance, weather forecasting, etc so that one more cause of aircraft accidents can be eliminated (the ultimate goal) or at least reduced as low as possible (the more realistic goal).

And here's something else to think about... All five US militaries use aircraft that are designed for one purpose and that's to win a battle against an adversary that may very well be better than us. Such a goal (or call it a promise to the American people) requires that we design aircraft and train pilots/mechanics/flight surgeons/weather briefers/etc to abilities beyond that point which we thought was good enough last time. Pushing our limits has always been risky, and from those risks come education (often at the cost of loss of life). We learn, try to keep the risk manageable, and press on. To do less is to let down those who we promised to defend!

In closing, let me point out that our own space program had several near-disasters as well as a few big disasters. However, we learned from the resulting post-accident investigations, and pressed on. The end result is that space travel has become so accident-free nowadays that no one watches what's going on with rocket launches or the space station anymore. And even though the Soviets tried their hardest, to date only US footprints are on the surface of the moon, with less than a forth of the Soviet's casualties.

I'd say that our accident investigation programs work!

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-26-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H5487
Guys,

First off, Franklin M's background in aviation is probably better than all of the rest of us combined! I have NO doubts that he knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately, when he talks, few are listening here because those few cannot, or will not, accept that his education and experience trumps EVERYTHING the rest of us have done with our lives!

Second, neither Franklin nor the military can say that, someday, there will NEVER be another accident. With such a HUGE array of variables that cannot be controlled 100% (such as material stresses, corrosion, weather, etc) a TOTALLY accident free future just isn't going to happen. At least not in our lifetimes!

What military accident investigations attempt to do is to identify the steps that led up to the crash, figure what could've/should've been done to break that chain of events (and thus, lead to a different outcome) and then incorporate those findings into future pilot training, aircraft design, maintenance, weather forecasting, etc so that one more cause of aircraft accidents can be eliminated (the ultimate goal) or at least reduced as low as low as possible (the more realistic goal).

And here's something else to think about... All five US militaries use aircraft that are designed for one purpose and that's to win a battle against an adversary that may very well be better than us. Such a goal (or call it a promise to the American people) requires that we design aircraft and train pilots/mechanics/flight surgeons/weather briefers/etc to abilities beyond that point which we thought was good enough last time. Pushing our limits has always been risky, and from those risks come education (often at the cost of loss of life). We learn, try to keep the risk manageable, and press on. To do less is to let down those who we promised to defend!

In closing, let me point out that our own space program had several near-disasters as well as a few big disasters. However, we learned and pressed on. The end result is that space travel has become so accident-free nowadays that no one watches what's going on with launches or the space station anymore. And even though the Soviets tried their hardest, to date only US footprints are on the surface of the moon!!!

Harvey
Agree with almost everything you have said, especially the part about not being able to completely avoid future accidents. I'm not going to put words in your mouth, but I read that to mean you would agree that more can be done, or that in fact, there is only so much that can be done.

You seem to give almost absolute deference to what Frankin will say because of his background, and probably yours as well. All fine and well, you clearly share some similarities, and few can challenge this technical resume. It's damn impressive. It doesn't however mean he is right on every point, or that his opinions on all issues aren't subject to review and scrutiny. It's not just one or two who might disagree with him either, there are more, but the disagreements are't usually technical based. They are his opinions and conclusions on other issues, like how virtually everything associated with the AMA is bad, horrible, crooked, nefarious etc etc. 10 years of this, along with a few others as well. Some have been saying the same thing for more than 10 years, predicting the end of times and the AMA etc etc, all to see their prognostications not come to fruition. So ya, some folks won't buy everything he writes as gospel...even more so when he refuses to even approach the very issue you just noted, the impossibility of a risk and loss free program.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 PM
H5487

Originally Posted by porcia83
So ya, some folks won't buy everything he writes as gospel...even more so when he refuses to even approach the very issue you just noted, the impossibility of a risk and loss free program.
ALL of us, including Franklin, know deep down that we will never be completely free of risk and loss. However, to pick a point that is acceptable is not the goal either. We'll continue to shoot for that elusive 100% loss-free point, regardless of the improbability of ever reaching it!

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-26-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:00 PM
porcia83
Banned

ALL of us, including Franklin, know deep down that we will never be completely free of risk and loss. However, to pick a point that is acceptable is not the goal either. We'll continue to shoot for that elusive 100% loss-free point.

Harvey
Well that's good to hear from you, and I would think that everyone would agree with that, but Franklin certainly has gone out of this way to not agree with that. Acknowledging that we can't be perfect in every sense is not been conceding to failure or mediocrity.

Here's an interesting link that a friend just sent me.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016...on-white-house
Old 07-26-2016, 09:17 PM
H5487

Well that's good to hear from you, and I would think that everyone would agree with that, but Franklin certainly has gone out of this way to not agree with that. Acknowledging that we can't be perfect in every sense is not been conceding to failure or mediocrity.
But to surrender to the reality that we cannot totally eliminate risk and loss isn't acceptable either.

If I'm ever in an airliner that's caught in a storm so bad that everyone is sure the plane is going to crash, you better believe that I'm hoping that the cockpit crew is still shooting for a 100% successful outcome!

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-26-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Thought I would mention, just got the AMA mag for August. Another great edition, imo. Great article by Bill Pritchett who tackled a whole host of issues, including the rumors and misinformation out there. He did mention membership though, and some great numbers were noted. 188,000 members (it would have been as of June), but that the youth membership figures are the highest ever. Within the last 5 years 39,000 youths have joined the AMA, up from 11,000..so we're now at 50,000. All time high number of 188,000 should be a good thing right?

The article is a must read, and for those on either side of the AMA=Bad fence, an eye opener. It's on page 144 in the mag, not sure about the digital edition.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

But to surrender to the reality that we cannot totally eliminate risk and loss isn't acceptable either.

If I'm ever in an airliner that's caught in a storm so bad that everyone is sure the plane is going to crash, you better believe that I'm hoping that the pilot isn't going to give up!

Harvey
I don't see accepting fact and reality as synonymous with surrender, perhaps that's why we aren't on the same page here. You and/or Franklin can keep framing it this way to whatever end, but it's nothing close to what I've said. There will always be more that can be done, that doesn't mean anyone needlessly or recklessly accepts risk.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 PM
H5487

I don't see accepting fact and reality as synonymous with surrender, perhaps that's why we aren't on the same page here. You and/or Franklin can keep framing it this way to whatever end, but it's nothing close to what I've said. There will always be more that can be done, that doesn't mean anyone needlessly or recklessly accepts risk.
No, no, don't take it the wrong way. I didn't use the "surrender" word in a bad way. I meant it to mean that while 100% is the desired goal, there's a point where most of us throw up our hands and say we've done all we can do. However, I applaud those who feel that more can still be done.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-26-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

No, no, don't take it the wrong way. I didn't use the "surrender" word in a bad way. I meant it to mean that while 100% is the desired goal, there's a point where most of us throw up our hands and say we've done all we can do. However, I applaud those who feel that more can still be done.

Harvey
agree 100%
Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Agree with almost everything you have said, especially the part about not being able to completely avoid future accidents. I'm not going to put words in your mouth, but I read that to mean you would agree that more can be done, or that in fact, there is only so much that can be done.

You seem to give almost absolute deference to what Frankin will say because of his background, and probably yours as well. All fine and well, you clearly share some similarities, and few can challenge this technical resume. It's damn impressive. It doesn't however mean he is right on every point, or that his opinions on all issues aren't subject to review and scrutiny. It's not just one or two who might disagree with him either, there are more, but the disagreements are't usually technical based. They are his opinions and conclusions on other issues, like how virtually everything associated with the AMA is bad, horrible, crooked, nefarious etc etc. 10 years of this, along with a few others as well. Some have been saying the same thing for more than 10 years, predicting the end of times and the AMA etc etc, all to see their prognostications not come to fruition. So ya, some folks won't buy everything he writes as gospel...even more so when he refuses to even approach the very issue you just noted, the impossibility of a risk and loss free program.
Agree, but also the education doesn't matter when you force the numbers to fit your agenda.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:03 AM
franklin_m

I won't ever accept that 100% isn't possible. In 2015, US Part 121 air carriers flew 6,059,756 flights domestically with ZERO fatalities (Note 1)

And they did it after years of incorporating many small changes as a result of lessons learned. Mind you, none of these changes prevented all accidents, but they prevented some. The net result of all of these small improvements was a 100% fatality free year.

In fact, there were only 30 incidents of any type in those 6,059,756 flights. That's just one mishap of any type in every 268,658 flights. Is model aviation that good? If not, then there's still work to be done.

So again, why not incorporate two changes in the LMA inspection program, changes that stem directly from actual losses of a LMA, that reduce the likelihood of future accidents of the same type.

Note 1 -
Num of flights is from DOT statistics. http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/acts/cus...tt&ascc&ascp=1

Num of mishaps (zero) comes from NTSB search on this page http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx using:
To: 12/31/2015
Injury Severity: fatal
Operation: part 121

Injury events? Change severity to "all"
Old 07-27-2016, 04:06 AM
franklin_m

There will always be more that can be done, that doesn't mean anyone needlessly or recklessly accepts risk.
So does this mean that you're supportive of the two changes to the LMA inspection policy that I've proposed? Two changes directly as a result of lessons learned in two full loss LMA mishaps?

Does it also mean you'd support removing ambiguity in the LMA inspection policy? Specifically the undefined "minimal voltage drop" section?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:24 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I won't ever accept that 100% isn't possible. In 2015, US Part 121 air carriers flew 6,059,756 flights domestically with ZERO fatalities (Note 1)

And they did it after years of incorporating many small changes as a result of lessons learned. Mind you, none of these changes prevented all accidents, but they prevented some. The net result of all of these small improvements was a 100% fatality free year.

In fact, there were only 30 incidents of any type in those 6,059,756 flights. That's just one mishap of any type in every 268,658 flights. Is model aviation that good? If not, then there's still work to be done.

So again, why not incorporate two changes in the LMA inspection program, changes that stem directly from actual losses of a LMA, that reduce the likelihood of future accidents of the same type.

Note 1 -
Num of flights is from DOT statistics. www.rita.dot.gov/bts/acts/customized/table?adfy=2015&adfm=1&adty=2015&adtm=12&aos=6&artd=1&arti&arts&asts=1&astns&astt&ascc&ascp=1

Num of mishaps (zero) comes from NTSB search on this page http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx using:
To: 12/31/2015
Injury Severity: fatal
Operation: part 121

Injury events? Change severity to "all"
So does this mean that you're supportive of the two changes to the LMA inspection policy that I've proposed? Two changes directly as a result of lessons learned in two full loss LMA mishaps?

Does it also mean you'd support removing ambiguity in the LMA inspection policy? Specifically the undefined "minimal voltage drop" section?
I guess Harvey spoke to soon on your behalf, lol.

We can keep going round and round on the questions, to what end? I've already answered your questions numerous times, I'm all for learning from past mistakes and taking corrective action. That specific action confirms my premise, that more can usually be done, which confirms that there is only so much that can be done. Short of not flying, there is no perfect solution. That's the answer you're going to keep getting from me. Ask the same questions over and over as if to make some point, then I can come back with several that you refuse to answer, like if you have explicit approval of the town to fly in the park that you fly in. Whats the point? I think I made mine, there isn't a person here who lives in the fantasy world where everything is preventable.

If you feel like you have the solutions to all of the safety issues that presently face modelers, share it with the AMA via the appropriate channels, or better yet share the info with your fellow hobbyists. If someone can learn something from it, fantastic.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Agree, but also the education doesn't matter when you force the numbers to fit your agenda.
Right. Numbers are a funny thing, they can be utilized so many different ways. Gotta look past the number to get to the real information, and that does sometimes mean looking at who paid for the data to be gathered, does it appear biased in any way, and how the information is being used to either support or argue a specific position.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:34 AM
franklin_m

Thought I would mention, just got the AMA mag for August. Another great edition, imo. Great article by Bill Pritchett who tackled a whole host of issues, including the rumors and misinformation out there. He did mention membership though, and some great numbers were noted. 188,000 members (it would have been as of June), but that the youth membership figures are the highest ever. Within the last 5 years 39,000 youths have joined the AMA, up from 11,000..so we're now at 50,000. All time high number of 188,000 should be a good thing right?

The article is a must read, and for those on either side of the AMA=Bad fence, an eye opener. It's on page 144 in the mag, not sure about the digital edition.
I read the article, and you're right, it bounced around a variety of issues. It's encouraging that just under 75% of our members pay dues.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:37 AM
franklin_m

If you feel like you have the solutions to all of the safety issues that presently face modelers, share it with the AMA via the appropriate channels, or better yet share the info with your fellow hobbyists. If someone can learn something from it, fantastic.
Tell you what. You offered to nominate me for office. How about this instead. YOU submit the two ideas. Heck even take the credit for them. I'll be curious to see if they get a vote.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

I read the article, and you're right, it bounced around a variety of issues. It's encouraging that just under 75% of our members pay dues.

Hey, it's encouraging to see you use the word encouraging in any sentence that has to do with the AMA, even if it's sarcastic in nature.

The good news is that the AMA has so many youngsters involved, and it's fair to say they will be a large part of the future (and continued) success of the AMA and the hobby. I'm thrilled that some of my dues (probably a very small part) goes to any benefits they can derive from membership. And even more good news, the membership at large is o/k with this as well. Membership continues to increase, more kids joining....my goodness things are looking up!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	2174578  
Old 07-27-2016, 04:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Tell you what. You offered to nominate me for office. How about this instead. YOU submit the two ideas. Heck even take the credit for them. I'll be curious to see if they get a vote.
I might have to walk back that offer to nominate you.....this election cycle looks to be pretty interesting!

Yours is a kind offer, but I would never take the credit for your work. You know how to communicate with the folks at the AMA (you've been sharing the PM's you get from them here and elsewhere), so I'm sure you know how to go about it. If in doubt, check with your local AVP or VP.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 AM
franklin_m

Yours is a kind offer, but I would never take the credit for your work. You know how to communicate with the folks at the AMA (you've been sharing the PM's you get from them here and elsewhere), so I'm sure you know how to go about it. If in doubt, check with your local AVP or VP.
You have my permission to take credit. Besides, it's an experiment. Aren't you just the least bit eager to prove to me that if I was just "nice," like you, I'd get a much better response from the organization? In light of your many comments to me that it's my style, I'd think you'd be eager to prove me wrong.

If you want to feel better about it, submit the idea and say "this idea was forwarded to me by a colleague..."

That way we'll see if they're any more open to suggestions from such strong supporters as you vs. folks that challenge them (like me).
Old 07-27-2016, 05:34 AM
franklin_m

The good news is that the AMA has so many youngsters involved, and it's fair to say they will be a large part of the future (and continued) success of the AMA and the hobby. I'm thrilled that some of my dues (probably a very small part) goes to any benefits they can derive from membership.
Absolutely. Maybe we can get our paying membership down to 25%! Or less! Think of the tens of thousands of youngsters that would mean!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:52 AM
rcmiket

The trick will be getting those 50,000 turned into paying members when the time comes. We the paying members are not getting any younger.................................I have nothing against the youth membership.but anyone with 1/2 a brain will see that challenges lay ahead.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-27-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:35 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Really? That sounds like a hysterical conclusion you've reached there, sort of like blaming Chris for calling all AMA members dishonest thieves. Keep repeating both of those, sort of like the Jedi mind trick of "believing" and it might be "fact" eventually.

I'll accept anything reasonable that cuts down on damages of any type. Have yet to say anything contrary to that, not withstanding your comments above. I haven't said what are you claiming, at this point you just appear to be lying, intentionally misstating what I said, or just misunderstand. I hate to feel that way, but this appears to be where we are going, regrettably.

Nothing you've shown so far indicates there isn't more work to be done, which is really another way of saying there is only so much that can be done.
Sounds to me like you're trying to cover the fact that Franklin just took your point and shoved it back in your face. His reasoning is so sound that you can't refute it so you're going back to the tried and utterly weak "There is only so much that can be done" line. I'm going to take this one step further. I lost several family members in a head on crash back in 1972. They were in a full sized 70 Mercury, state of the art for the day in safety. The front of the car was so smashed due to the impact, caused by a drunk driver in the other vehicle, that the front tires were pushed back to along side the front doors, still attached to the front axle. Had they been in a 77 or later with the redesigned energy absorbing structure, the front of the car would have absorbed the impact by crushing, possibly saving some of the occupants. By the reasoning you use and the one Franklin so easily found fault in, the automotive design change might not have saved everyone so it shouldn't have been done at all and we should all be driving cars that aren't designed to protect the passengers but, rather, survive a crash with as little damage as possible as was the case back in the early 70s.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-27-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The trick will be getting those 50,000 turned into paying members when the time comes. We the paying members are not getting any younger.................................I have nothing against the youth membership.but anyone with 1/2 a brain will see that challenges lay ahead.

Mike
Folks with half a brain or more have been bleeting on about challenges and declining membership and what the AMA have been doing, or in most cases NOT doing on their behalf for more than 10 years...some even 13. Their comments then almost perfectly mirror those of today, only their predictions never came to be. Different times, different issues, different ama leadership, and different outcomes. But still the same dire forecasts and cynicism. And keep in mind that was well before the drone or even the park flyer program was in play.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:23 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
By the reasoning you use and the one Franklin so easily found fault in, the automotive design change might not have saved everyone so it shouldn't have been done at all and we should all be driving cars that aren't designed to protect the passengers but, rather, survive a crash with as little damage as possible as was the case back in the early 70s.
Hydro,

I don't remember anyone saying that if we can't reach 100% safety, we shouldn't try at all. (Or at least I think that's what you're saying.) At the risk of misunderstanding the gist of this conversation, I believe the two sides are saying:

Franklin: Anything less than 100% is unacceptable and we can't rest until we achieve it.

Porcia: 100% is not realistically attainable so let's be satisfied to get as close as we can.

Interestingly, BOTH sides are correct. Franklin is driven to make safety Job 1. On the other hand, Porcia recognizes that no matter how much money and manpower is devoted to totally fixing a problem, 99% may be the realistic maximum attainable. As an example, an automobile that is constructed of 20ft thick rubberfoam all of the way around may be 99.999% safe; however, it's not really feasible.

If I had cancer, I would want my surgeon to have Franklin's attitude. However, if I didn't have unlimited medical insurance, I would accept Porcia's. (This isn't intended as an insult, Porcia. I just wouldn't want to deplete my family's savings in order to pursue immortality.)

So, who's wrong? NEITHER!!!

Hydro, I'm so very sorry about your loss. Please take comfort in that those horrific accidents so many years ago have contributed in making automobiles much safer today. Driving still isn't 100% safe but it's getting closer!

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-27-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.