Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our battles are not over!

Amazon is still pursuing drone delivery and has plans to start in the UK.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36887325 Follow the link to read more about it.

[h=1]New trials for delivering goods by drones[/h] By Richard Westcott Transport correspondent, BBC News

The government's getting together with the retail giant Amazon to start testing flying drones that can deliver parcels to your door.

Amazon's paying for the programme, which will look at the best way to allow hundreds of robotic aircraft to buzz around Britain's skies safely.
The company claims it'll eventually mean small parcels will arrive at your house within 30 minutes of ordering them online.
Ministers say they want to pave the way for all businesses to start using the technology in future, but they will still have to convince the public that having automated drones flying around is both safe and won't invade people's privacy.
[h=2]Three big problems[/h]The trials will look at cracking three big problems:
  • How can you operate drones safely beyond "line of sight"? The current rules say a pilot has to be able to see the aircraft at all times
  • How can you build a drone that won't bump into things? Much like autonomous cars it would need sensors to help it avoid objects
  • How can you build a system where one pilot is responsible for many drones?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford had it right. Quality is Job 1. However quality includes safety as it is not a quality product if not safe. Quality in other areas would in fact improve safety, so they work hand in hand.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
Our battles are not over!

Amazon is still pursuing drone delivery and has plans to start in the UK.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36887325 Follow the link to read more about it.

New trials for delivering goods by drones

By Richard Westcott Transport correspondent, BBC News

The government's getting together with the retail giant Amazon to start testing flying drones that can deliver parcels to your door.

Amazon's paying for the programme, which will look at the best way to allow hundreds of robotic aircraft to buzz around Britain's skies safely.
The company claims it'll eventually mean small parcels will arrive at your house within 30 minutes of ordering them online.
Ministers say they want to pave the way for all businesses to start using the technology in future, but they will still have to convince the public that having automated drones flying around is both safe and won't invade people's privacy.
Three big problems

The trials will look at cracking three big problems:
  • How can you operate drones safely beyond "line of sight"? The current rules say a pilot has to be able to see the aircraft at all times
  • How can you build a drone that won't bump into things? Much like autonomous cars it would need sensors to help it avoid objects
  • How can you build a system where one pilot is responsible for many drones?

Not sure about the UK but the biggest problem in the US will probably be birdshot.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:47 AM
H5487

I see Amazon's quest as being more gimmicky than feasible; at least with today's technology and that in the foreseeable future. How can you send 300 parcels that vary between 1oz and 70lbs to 300 customers more cheaply than one brown truck and a driver?

Harvey
Old 07-27-2016, 07:54 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by H5487
I see Amazon's quest as being more gimmicky than feasible; at least with today's technology and that in the foreseeable future. How can you send 300 parcels that vary between 1oz and 70lbs to 300 customers more cheaply than one brown truck and a driver?

Harvey
It's not gimmicky. Amazon is serious in this pursuit. They plan to deliver up to 55lb packages with on type of craft.

Intel invested 60 million in Yuneec, a full size electric aircraft manufacture and Drone manufacture. With that investment money Yuneec have developed collision avoidance technology. Who know what else Yuneec has up their developers sleeves for the coming years.

I wouldn't discredit the amazon deal just yet. They are investing time and money into the effort. It's no longer a marketing scheme.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Harvey
People think that battery power is free or at least cheap. Not free and not as cheap as you may think. Especially when it is time to replace the batteries.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

It's no longer a marketing scheme.
It most certainly is. And will be till implemented.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Hydro,

I don't remember anyone saying that if we can't reach 100% safety, we shouldn't try at all. (Or at least I think that's what you're saying.) At the risk of misunderstanding the gist of this conversation, I believe the two sides are saying:

Franklin: Anything less than 100% is unacceptable and we can't rest until we achieve it.
Not true, he's saying 100% isn't acceptable but any gain toward it is better than not trying

Porcia: 100% is not realistically attainable so let's be satisfied to get as close as we can.
Agreed, to a point. I read his comments as "If we can't get 100%, why bother doing anything"

Interestingly, BOTH sides are correct. Franklin is driven to make safety Job 1. On the other hand, Porcia recognizes that no matter how much money and manpower is devoted to totally fixing a problem, 99% may be the realistic maximum attainable. As an example, an automobile that is constructed of 20ft thick rubberfoam all of the way around may be 99.999% safe; however, it's not really feasible.

If I had cancer, I would want my surgeon to have Franklin's attitude. However, if I didn't have unlimited medical insurance, I would accept Porcia's. (This isn't intended as an insult, Porcia. I just wouldn't want to deplete my family's savings in order to pursue immortality.)

So, who's wrong? NEITHER!!!

Hydro, I'm so very sorry about your loss. Please take comfort in that those horrific accidents so many years ago have contributed in making automobiles much safer today. Driving still isn't 100% safe but it's getting closer! My comments about the crash were included to show why I consider the 100% or nothing I was reading in Porcia's posts to be shortsighted and unrealistic I see safety, whether in transportation of people or goods or hobby, be it aircraft, cars, boats or quads, needs to be a number one priority. Franklin's comments about safety testing are spot on, based on the videos of the two Superfortress crashes. IN FACT, the one that went over the flight line should never have gotten as far as it did due to the fact that you can hear in the video one engine wasn't running properly when the pilot started his take off roll.

Harvey
Harvey, I've replied in blue in your post.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:29 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It most certainly is. And will be till implemented.
100 percent not. Amazon has invested time and money in the project. Their Prime Air program I think will start in the UK first. But there are still legal hoops to jump through.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 AM
H5487

100 percent not. Amazon has invested time and money in the project. Their Prime Air program I think will start in the UK first. But there are still legal hoops to jump through.
I think solving the legal hoops will be the easy part. The practical barriers will be another matter. Things like avoiding other air traffic (both big and small), avoiding powerlines, avoiding sensitive areas, not hitting anybody, maneuvering close to the ground to deliver a parcel to a recipient's point of delivery (which may be anything from the front door of a house to inside the lobby of a high rise).

TimJ, with all due respect, it's a marketing gimmick, regardless of the amount of time and money that Amazon is investing. The proof is that (1) it's something new and exciting, (2) it was announced in a news release that was aimed to excite existing customers and attract new ones, (3) Amazon is hoping to get a jump on its competitors, and (4) it was announced LONG before any of the legal and practical barriers have been solved.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-27-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Come to think it will be a marketing tool even after it is implemented. Just as the brown vans are marketing tools for UPS as well as practical delivery vehicles. But that won't make drones a reliable deliver system. Just too many shotguns out there.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

I think solving the legal hoops will be the easy part. The practical barriers will be another matter. Things like avoiding other air traffic (both big and small), avoiding powerlines, avoiding sensitive areas, not hitting anybody, maneuvering close to the ground to deliver a parcel to a recipient's point of delivery (which may be anything from the front door of a house to inside the lobby of a high rise).

TimJ, with all due respect, it's a marketing gimmick, regardless of the amount of time and money that Amazon is investing. The proof is that (1) it's something new and exciting, (2) it was announced in a news release that was aimed to excite existing customers and attract new ones, (3) Amazon is hoping to get a jump on its competitors, and (4) it was announced LONG before any of the legal and practical barriers have been solved.

Harvey

Actually unless Amazon is bribing officials the legal part is the hard part. Not likely to bribe all of the FEDS, and State, and local officials. Too many people will be complaining about these large low flying vehicles. Feds presently are fighting Amazon over their 200 foot rule. I doubt they will make them quite enough to satisfy many people. A 1/4 ton drone will make too much noise for many.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:15 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Not sure about the UK but the biggest problem in the US will probably be birdshot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	2174603  
Old 07-27-2016, 11:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Harvey
It's marketing now, but I have no doubt they will try to implement something along these lines. They are looking to satisfy our need for instant gratification and shrinking delivery times from days to a day...and in some instances hours. they are partnering with Uber/Lyft to get that ball rolling. I doubt they will be able to saturate the market with drone deliveries as they are presenting, but i have no doubt they will move forward it. They just built a second HUGE warehouse in CT (not a big state) and my understanding is two more are coming as well. Just so we can get our books and toilet paper sooner!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:56 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's marketing now, but I have no doubt they will try to implement something along these lines. They are looking to satisfy our need for instant gratification and shrinking delivery times from days to a day...and in some instances hours. they are partnering with Uber/Lyft to get that ball rolling. I doubt they will be able to saturate the market with drone deliveries as they are presenting, but i have no doubt they will move forward it. They just built a second HUGE warehouse in CT (not a big state) and my understanding is two more are coming as well. Just so we can get our books and toilet paper sooner!
I agree but with the following clarification...

Change:
They are looking to satisfy our need for instant gratification...

To:
They are looking to cash in on our inability to wait for something...

Harvey

PS... Please don't mention to Franklin that I agreed with you on something. He out-ranks me!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hydro,

I don't remember anyone saying that if we can't reach 100% safety, we shouldn't try at all. (Or at least I think that's what you're saying.) At the risk of misunderstanding the gist of this conversation, I believe the two sides are saying:

Franklin: Anything less than 100% is unacceptable and we can't rest until we achieve it.

Porcia: 100% is not realistically attainable so let's be satisfied to get as close as we can.

Interestingly, BOTH sides are correct. Franklin is driven to make safety Job 1. On the other hand, Porcia recognizes that no matter how much money and manpower is devoted to totally fixing a problem, 99% may be the realistic maximum attainable. As an example, an automobile that is constructed of 20ft thick rubberfoam all of the way around may be 99.999% safe; however, it's not really feasible.

If I had cancer, I would want my surgeon to have Franklin's attitude. However, if I didn't have unlimited medical insurance, I would accept Porcia's. (This isn't intended as an insult, Porcia. I just wouldn't want to deplete my family's savings in order to pursue immortality.)

So, who's wrong? NEITHER!!!

Hydro, I'm so very sorry about your loss. Please take comfort in that those horrific accidents so many years ago have contributed in making automobiles much safer today. Driving still isn't 100% safe but it's getting closer!

Harvey
No insult taken, I actually don't mind being disagreed with and I actually like the way you put the different positions up there. Evidence that we can have a discussion and disagree without losing it. LoL. My only comment albeit late, is that my comment needs to be taken at face value, and only that. It's not pro/con safety, it's merely a statement that confirms a limitation to what man can do. In no way does it promote acceptance of failure, or complacency. We are as far as we are as a human race because of learning from our mistakes, adapting, and marching forward.
No insult taken, I actually appre
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

I agree but with the following clarification...

Change:
They are looking to satisfy our need for instant gratification...

To:
They are looking to cash in on our inability to wait for something...

Harvey

PS... Please don't mention to Franklin that I agreed with you on something. He out-ranks me!
It will be our dirty filthy little secret, I swear!

( and yes, I plead guilty to being impatient as well. I ordered two new 6 cells packs for one of my planes yesterday and I've already checked tracking twice).
Old 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM
rcmiket

With enough money behind it any hurdle or legal hoop can be overcome.

Mike
Old 07-28-2016, 04:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
With enough money behind it any hurdle or legal hoop can be overcome.

Mike

They could pour billions into this and they will still have an issue with public acceptance, and birdshot.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Sounds to me like you're trying to cover the fact that Franklin just took your point and shoved it back in your face. His reasoning is so sound that you can't refute it so you're going back to the tried and utterly weak "There is only so much that can be done" line. I'm going to take this one step further. I lost several family members in a head on crash back in 1972. They were in a full sized 70 Mercury, state of the art for the day in safety. The front of the car was so smashed due to the impact, caused by a drunk driver in the other vehicle, that the front tires were pushed back to along side the front doors, still attached to the front axle. Had they been in a 77 or later with the redesigned energy absorbing structure, the front of the car would have absorbed the impact by crushing, possibly saving some of the occupants. By the reasoning you use and the one Franklin so easily found fault in, the automotive design change might not have saved everyone so it shouldn't have been done at all and we should all be driving cars that aren't designed to protect the passengers but, rather, survive a crash with as little damage as possible as was the case back in the early 70s.
Apologize for not responding sooner, not sure how I missed this one. So, perhaps the reason you can't or won't accept a factual comment is because you're too emotionally involved. That's not a slight on you, others have responded the same way, and it's not a slight on them either. They are looking at it through a different lens. Trying to take a factual statement and argue emotion, and wrap in a bunch of other non related stuff to support their emotional position. And I'm not disagreeing necessarily with their premise (more can be done, learn from past mistakes etc etc). The fact that they say more can be done by learning from our past mistakes is to me another way of saying, we can only do so much.

You can get emotional and call my statement tired and utterly utterly weak, yet you fail to show a perfect solution to the problem, just as Franklin has. Other than not flying, there is no solution. There is only so much that can be done. Your story about lost family members is a touching one, and obviously things have changed safety wise since the 70's. Airbags, crumple zones, lighter and stronger components etc. We have learned form past mistakes and/or design deficiencies.

By your own logic I guess we've solved the problems with auto collisions and fatalities? I think the families of the million plus people who die in car accidents each year (about 3200 per day) would disagree. I won't call your logic tired or utterly weak, I'll just say it appears to be faulty.

It looks like there's only so much the auto industry can do to prevent fatal and injury sustaining accidents. Short of not driving, there is no perfect solution.

When you or Franklin provide a 100% foolproof plan to ensure a 100% safety record, post it here or sent it to the AMA.

Last edited by porcia83; 07-28-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:16 AM
porcia83
Banned

They could pour billions into this and they will still have an issue with public acceptance, and birdshot.
The birdshot issue is a read herring, it's just not going to be a real factor.

Hate to be cynical, but the public is going to be absolutely a o/k with drone delivery if they get their stuff cheaper, and faster! In fact, Amazon has already done the hard work. No, not lobbying and building infrastructure and paying for the drones. No, they have already done massive amount of intelligence gathering via their customers. They've become the worlds best at predictive modeling for consumers wants, needs, and buying practices. There is nobody even close to them (Walmart is second best, but can't peel the onion back as far as Amazon can).

They aren't going into this on a lark, or just for marketing PR to say oh look at us and how innovative we are. They are doing it because their customers are asking for it.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:58 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by porcia83
(Amazon isn't) going into this on a lark, or just for marketing PR to say oh look at us and how innovative we are. They are doing it because their customers are asking for it.
I'm not so sure about that because I don't think the customers were asking for drone delivery until Amazon put the idea into their heads. I still think it's more gimmicky (or call it futuristic) than practical at this point due to the legal and practical issues that must be overcome first. As an example, self-driving cars are just now becoming a possibility but they're still a long ways off before they'll be reliable enough to be turned loose on the streets. And cars only operate in two dimensions. Adding a third (altitude) and the complication factor is increased by a whole lot more than just 50%.

I will admit that drone delivery may eventually become a reality but will it be easier and cheaper than a big brown truck and driver? Probably not for many years. In the meantime, Amazon has excited the masses with its proposal and that has brought positive attention to the company. I think THAT may be more to Amazon's stockholders benefit than actually putting drones in the air. At least for right now.

The unfortunate reality of implementing a new idea is that closing your eyes and dreaming it up was the easy part.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-28-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

They are doing it because their customers are asking for it.
Have you seen anybody extoll how much they want this? I haven't. But I suppose many customers do want this, but they may also have many neighbours with shotguns who do not. Now I suppose the shotgun is not a problem in your area, but it most certainly is in the rural south, I was not kidding about that.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Adding a third (altitude) and the complication factor is increased by a whole lot more than just 50%.
It's exponential. If complication is C then complication for drone VS car is C^(3/2).
Old 07-28-2016, 06:15 AM
H5487

It's exponential. If complication is C then complication for drone VS car is C^(3/2).
Show off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.