Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

400 foot? NOPE

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

400 foot? NOPE

Old 07-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Interesting.I look forward to reading about it.

Mike
Reading about what?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Who were those people, Silent?
I provided a link to the actual document written by the conference committee that worked on the FMRA. So they were people from the House of Representatives and the Senate, you know, the people who wrote the bill. I'm sure you can track down the names of the actual individuals.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:09 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I provided a link to the actual document written by the conference committee that worked on the FMRA. So they were people from the House of Representatives and the Senate, you know, the people who wrote the bill. I'm sure you can track down the names of the actual individuals.
Interesting revision of history. AMA and their lobbyist(s) didn't have anything to do with Section 336 of P.L. 112-95.....it resulted entirely from an initiative of some member(s) of Congress. Okay, have your way.........but then how does AMA earn credit claimed for this wonderful piece of legislation?
Old 07-17-2016, 03:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Why would his CBO need to lobby for the same exclusion since any one CBO that meets the definition of a CBO is supposed to be as good as any other ?

The bottom line here is that as it stands now , the CBO , OUR CBO , has done a good thing here with the elimination of the 400 foot cap , and I think the AMA deserves a rousing "Well Done !" .

Now , as to the numbers of CBOs , which seems today to stand at , one , well if any other CBOs come along and want to advocate for my ability to fly my model aircraft , they're more than welcome to do so , but as discussed in a different thread the AMA is serving the CBO need adequately and just like in an old western ; "This Town ain't big enough fer both of us !" , I really don't see any other organization having a chance in such a limited market .....
This CBO might be fighting the good fight for a number of reasons, mostly I think it's for us, but also because it might want to preserve our rights and abilities for any other CBO that comes along in the future. What's good for the AMA might be good for others.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by dr.E
As previously stated, some organizations are already doing so but it there are some beurocratic obstacles to overcome... Local CBO's are easy to form but they carry the same federal credibility as your local Home Owners Association...

I just laugh every time a Drone Gypsy Operator is confronted by the police and they rapidly bring out a copy of the AMA UAV Operations Manual.... Similar to not belonging but dressing like an USMC member... The only thing you get is candy on October 31....
Or Bacon!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Interesting revision of history. AMA and their lobbyist(s) didn't have anything to do with Section 336 of P.L. 112-95.....it resulted entirely from an initiative of some member(s) of Congress. Okay, have your way.........but then how does AMA earn credit claimed for this wonderful piece of legislation?
They shouldn't get credit for anything. They just take their big fat salaries (you know, the volunteers) and lush perks and do nothing but spend money on the field at Muncie. They have done nothing that warrants praise or even mild amusement on behalf of modelers. AMA=Bad, or ineffective, or negligent, or powerless, etc etc etc.

Better?
Old 07-17-2016, 04:02 PM
cj_rumley

No, unless your objective is solely to produce noise to create a diversion from the topic when you have nothing sensible to contribute.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Silent-AV8R

Ah, I see, you are confused by the legislative process. While outside groups/lobbyists certainly have input into laws the laws themselves are still proposed, debated, and voted on by Congress. So this concept that you cling to that the AMA in a desperate attempt to force you to belong somehow magically circumvented the entire legislative process and wrote a law themselves. The credit goes for working with Congress to get a law favorable to our hobby on the books, and that is what you dislike. The core of your every thought in this forum is that the AMA is an evil and corrupt organization hell-bent on the domination of the poor freedom loving modeler.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:19 PM
cj_rumley

Ah, I see, you are confused by the legislative process. While outside groups/lobbyists certainly have input into laws the laws themselves are still proposed, debated, and voted on by Congress. So this concept that you cling to that the AMA in a desperate attempt to force you to belong somehow magically circumvented the entire legislative process and wrote a law themselves. The credit goes for working with Congress to get a law favorable to our hobby on the books, and that is what you dislike. The core of your every thought in this forum is that the AMA is an evil and corrupt organization hell-bent on the domination of the poor freedom loving modeler.
Well, thanks for your pro bono psychoanalysis.
Now lets get back to what you were trying to say when you entered this thread. You 'corrected' Andy (the OP) by saying the news he reported was not that a special privilege for AMA members was being granted, but rather that it applied to any of those conforming to Sec 336 provisions in PL 112-95. The next post you made argued that Sec 336 only applies to AMA members. That closes a circle in the reasoning of your inputs to the thread for me. What did you really mean to say?
Old 07-17-2016, 06:21 PM
TimJ

This is good news. Now the same thing needs to be done for 55 pound and up aircraft
Old 07-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by TimJ
This is good news. Now the same thing needs to be done for 55 pound and up aircraft
Already written into 336.

(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design,construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by acommunity-based organization;
This type of wording did not exist for the altitude issue.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Silent-AV8R

The next post you made argued that Sec 336 only applies to AMA members. That closes a circle in the reasoning of your inputs to the thread for me. What did you really mean to say?
Well actually I never said that. What I did say is that 336 does not apply specifically to the AMA and only the AMA. So go start a CBO and you too can operate under 336. What is so difficult to grasp about that concept?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:33 PM
cj_rumley

Well actually I never said that. What I did say is that 336 does not apply specifically to the AMA and only the AMA. So go start a CBO and you too can operate under 336. What is so difficult to grasp about that concept?
That's in agreement with what I presumed you were squirreling around about. It applies to any member of a CBO that meets the definition of a CBO as sought after/ advised to Congress by AMA:
In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean a membership based association thatrepresents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members acomprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground;develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions,government entities and other aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members
Certainly there is a multitude of organizations that qualify under those conditions. Not. The bottom line is obvious to anyone with an IQ above a par golf score.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Nope, that would require work.

Yup, that's for sure. There's a group of Monday morning sideline second guesser reporters that continue that narrative, AMA=Bad. They lie about what the AMA does, insist that this non profit is driven by greed and money, and even now claim that they are trying to force kids to join for the fees (oops, kids are free).
Easy, anyone with an IQ above a par golf score can figure that out...starting a CBO would require actual skills, and work ethic, and knowledge of how to organize and lead. The sideliners routinely show they have none of that.

That's in agreement with what I presumed you were squirreling around about. It applies to any member of a CBO that meets the definition of a CBO as sought after/ advised to Congress by AMA:

Certainly there is a multitude of organizations that qualify under those conditions. Not. The bottom line is obvious to anyone with an IQ above a par golf score.
Double bogey score on that one. Do let us know when the AMA is listed as the CBO that one must be joined. There's a reason the FAA didn't list them, certainly you can figure that out right?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:27 AM
Dokesflyer

Do you think Congress simply dreamed up a need for protecting model aviation?

AMA was highly involved in Section 336 of P.L. 112-95! The section was introduced by Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma as an amendment, that was then accepted and incorporated in the full bill. Senator Inhofe is not an AMA member nor a modeler.

AMA has been an involved advocate for model aviation for decades. 72mhz R/C frequencies, used before 2.4 Mhz, were a direct result of AMA working with the FCC. The fact that the US EPA highly recommends that it's remediated sites be used as model airplane fields is a direct result of AMA working with the agency. The fact that clubs with permits are still allowed to fly in National Parks is a direct result of AMA working with the US National Park Service. The fact that the expanded Washington DC FRZ no-fly-zone for model aircraft was lifted was a direct result of AMA working with the FAA, national security entities, and law enforcement. And yes, the fact is Section 336 of P.L. 112-95 is a direct result of efforts by AMA working with Congress.

Last edited by Dokesflyer; 07-18-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer

AMA was highly involved in Section 336 of P.L. 112-95! The section was introduced by Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma as an amendment, that was then accepted and incorporated in the full bill. Senator Inhofe is not an AMA member nor a modeler.

AMA has been an involved advocate for model aviation for decades. 72mhz R/C frequencies, used before 2.4 Mhz, were a direct result of AMA working with the FCC. The fact that the US EPA highly recommends that it's remediated sites be used as model airplane fields is a direct result of AMA working with the agency. The fact that clubs with permits are still allowed to fly in National Parks is a direct result of AMA working with the US National Park Service. The fact that the expanded Washington DC FRZ no-fly-zone for model aircraft was lifted was a direct result of AMA working with the FAA, national security entities, and law enforcement. And yes, the fact is Section 336 of P.L. 112-95 is a direct result of efforts by AMA working with Congress.
Hole in one!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

We need a LIKE button here. Well said
Old 07-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

+1!
Old 07-18-2016, 05:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
We need a LIKE button here. Well said
Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
+1!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	2173440  
Old 07-18-2016, 06:00 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:06 AM
rcmiket

Gotta be honest here , I'm perfectly fine with RC craft over 55 pounds being held to a higher standard of safety by at least needing to be gone over by a second set of eyes before it's first flown . By the time your flying better than 55 pounds , your well entrenched into the hobby enough that a simple inspection from a fellow AMA member should be a fairly easy thing to get done . I just looked at Horizon's site at a 1/4 scale Cub , flying weight a mere 18 pounds ! The size of an RC craft that exceeds 55 pounds is what , 1/2 scale ? That's a damn lot of potential energy and were I to fly it I'd feel FAR more comfortable knowing that a fellow RC aircraft hobbyist "proof read" the build for possible unnoticed errors .
Agreed. Inspections need to stay in place for obvious reasons.
Mike
Old 07-18-2016, 06:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

Gotta be honest here , I'm perfectly fine with RC craft over 55 pounds being held to a higher standard of safety by at least needing to be gone over by a second set of eyes before it's first flown . By the time your flying better than 55 pounds , your well entrenched into the hobby enough that a simple inspection from a fellow AMA member should be a fairly easy thing to get done . I just looked at Horizon's site at a 1/4 scale Cub , flying weight a mere 18 pounds ! The size of an RC craft that exceeds 55 pounds is what , 1/2 scale ? That's a damn lot of potential energy and were I to fly it I'd feel FAR more comfortable knowing that a fellow RC aircraft hobbyist "proof read" the build for possible unnoticed errors .
I'm thinking about the jets, not even the scale size. Some of those jets are approaching 55 pounds in weight, and can haul out at 200 plus mph!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I have no objections against inspections. If I were building something that large I'd welcome a second pair of eyes to look at it. Certainly better to get it checked out during the build process as well too though. Wouldn't want to wait until it's all done to find a problem.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Lets see if i can attach a PDF
Attached Thumbnails FAA AMA Letter.pdf  
Old 07-18-2016, 06:35 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.