Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

400 foot? NOPE

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

400 foot? NOPE

Old 07-18-2016, 10:32 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please remember the Safety Guidance:
  • I will fly below 400 feet
  • I will fly within visual line of sight
  • I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: faa.gov/go/uastfr
  • I will not fly directly over people
  • I will not fly over stadiums and sports events
  • I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports
  • I will not fly under the influence
To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged and in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. For further information on the safety guidance visit faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft
When you register with the FAA your agree to these rules. I doesn't say anything about joining that CBO just abiding to the rules.

Mike
Old 07-18-2016, 10:36 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged and in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. For further information on the safety guidance visit faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft
When you register with the FAA your agree to these rules. I doesn't say anything about joining that CBO just abiding to the rules.

Mike

LoL...seriously?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike
It says "safety guidance you have acknowledged". How are you going to do that without joining?
Old 07-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Silent-AV8R

Once again, keep in mind that a guidance is not the same thing as a rule or regulation. As I have said many, many times, if it is NOT in the FAR's it is NOT a regulation. AC 91-57A said it best, the FAA views 400 feet as a "best practice", meaning they think most people should fly below 400 feet. But this letter makes clear that people operating under a CBO safety program in accordance with Section 336 are granted a bit more latitude when it comes to that guidance.

Mike
Old 07-18-2016, 12:12 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It says "safety guidance you have acknowledged". How are you going to do that without joining?
By signing the registration form.

Interesting that it says you must operate in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. Some will read into the phrasing that one must belong to a CBO operate as a hobbyist. Lots of lawless folks out there, in numbers far exceeding dues-paying members of any one of the CBOs extant or imagined.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:19 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Is that the Sec 336 that the AMA had absolutely nothing to do with? Did you need the link again?
i seem to remember the AMA telling us how they worked with senator Inhoi(however you spell his name) very closely in formulating the wordage for sec 336 in the bill.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is good news, exactly what I was hoping for. 400' is just a guideline and not a hardcap.... Jets, Sailplanes, etc... can rejoice.

There was just no way a turbine flyer will do a maneuver with his apex capped at 400', that would be unsafe and costly...
Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
i seem to remember the AMA telling us how they worked with senator Inhoi(however you spell his name) very closely in formulating the wordage for sec 336 in the bill.
Preaching to the choir here.......

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...washington-dc/

I don't know how this link can be dismissed, but nothing surprises me anymore in terms of what lengths people will go to in ignoring what the AMA has done for us, and/or the energy that goes into finding fault with them. Some have mastered the head in the sand, or fingers in the ears technique.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
This is good news, exactly what I was hoping for. 400' is just a guideline and not a hardcap.... Jets, Sailplanes, etc... can rejoice.

There was just no way a turbine flyer will do a maneuver with his apex capped at 400', that would be unsafe and costly...
+1.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:38 PM
cj_rumley

Preaching to the choir here.......

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...washington-dc/

I don't know how this link can be dismissed, but nothing surprises me anymore in terms of what lengths people will go to in ignoring what the AMA has done for us, and/or the energy that goes into finding fault with them. Some have mastered the head in the sand, or fingers in the ears technique.
Hmmm......“The senator has been a great advocate for AMA and all aeromodelers and we sincerely appreciate his efforts on our behalf,” said President Brown.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Hmmm......“The senator has been a great advocate for AMA and all aeromodelers and we sincerely appreciate his efforts on our behalf,” said President Brown.
Double representation for me! Glad I'm getting my tax dollars and AMA membership out of it.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:21 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Double representation for me! Glad I'm getting my tax dollars and AMA membership out of it.
Goodie for you. The public taxpayers that pay AMA's share of the tax burden get zip, zero, squat.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Goodie for you. The public taxpayers that pay AMA's share of the tax burden get zip, zero, squat.
So the AMA isn't paying their fair share? Seriously? Did the AMA make up the 501(c)(3) rules too?
Old 07-18-2016, 02:55 PM
cj_rumley

So the AMA isn't paying their fair share? Seriously? Did the AMA make up the 501(c)(3) rules too?
Yes, yes and no. AMA gets the advantaged tax-exempt status in trade for providing a service for the public good per 501(c)(3) intent. Running a private members-only club that seeks special privilege under federal law for it's dues-paying members doesn't much resemble a service for the public good to me. YMMV, and I'm certain it does.

If you want to discuss it further, start another thread. This one has already taken enough off-topic trajectories.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

AMA=Bad,even when they are working on our behalf, (like even back in 2012).

Last edited by porcia83; 07-18-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yes, yes and no. AMA gets the advantaged tax-exempt status in trade for providing a service for the public good per 501(c)(3) intent. Running a private members-only club that seeks special privilege under federal law for it's dues-paying members doesn't much resemble a service for the public good to me. YMMV, and I'm certain it does.

If you want to discuss it further, start another thread. This one has already taken enough off-topic trajectories.
I see, just your personal opinion because you're not benefiting. What a surprise.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Watch it, appears we have another mod wannabe, the do as I say, not as I do kind. Keep on track will you, AMA=Bad,even when they are working on our behalf, (like even back in 2012).
More AMA = Bad, bad, bad.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:01 PM
cj_rumley

I see, just your personal opinion because you're not benefiting. What a surprise.
Yes, just my personal opinion. Whose opinions are you expressing? There has been some speculation about that in this forum. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Flying at 401 feet tomorrow!

Last edited by porcia83; 07-18-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Dokesflyer

A "members-only club" ? Do you have a club that does not have members? Or is it a club consisting of non-members? Do you know why AMA has 501(c) (3) status?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:34 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
A "members-only club" ? Do you have a club that does not have members? Or is it a club consisting of non-members? Do you know why AMA has 501(c) (3) status?

Last edited by porcia83; 07-18-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:56 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

I won't moderate my own thread but please settle down guys or someone will end up doing a clean up.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

No matter how good the news for the AMA and its members there will always be a few that have to rain on someone's parade because they feel as though someone got something they didn't and they're entitled to it too.

Despite all the negativity towards the AMA they're the only voice we have and the only group lobbying on our behalf. I'm glad we got the letter from the FAA as this has been a bone of contention for many AMA members and clubs and I'm glad Andy was able to share it with us.

A huge thanks to everyone at the AMA who made this possible.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:11 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
Man, your previous input to the thread was cogent and well presented. Don't spoil it.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Man, your previous input to the thread was cogent and well presented. Don't spoil it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.