Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

400 foot? NOPE

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

400 foot? NOPE

Old 07-28-2016, 04:40 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Not at all. It's an example of how I make big decisions. I usually set a deadline at a point in the not too distant future, far enough out to avoid making a rash decision in the moment, yet not so far as to undermine the goal of the decision.
I guess we look at the definition of "big" decisions differently. A nominal member fee isn't that big of a deal to me. But you've felt the same way about the AMA for going on 10 years now, and the small increase in dues was pretty nominal at the end of the day. Seems to be a looong time to make this decision.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I would suggest careful matching of battery to motor so that the battery doesn't overheat, as well as good ventilation. Good charging practices. As you could imagine I am no electric motor expert.
Come over to the dark side of silent (well mostly) flight! You won't want to go back to nitro!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Come over to the dark side of silent (well mostly) flight! You won't want to go back to nitro!
Tried it, don't like it. The silent part is one of the issues. Can't find the darn thing when I take my eyes off of it. After a while the batteries burned, this was before Lipo so it was not a bonfire, but it did destroy the model. I even hate the receiver batteries because they have from time to time scorched the model or quit causing a crash and possibly a fly away never to be seen again. So no will not do that except for very small models.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:00 AM
franklin_m

I guess we look at the definition of "big" decisions differently. A nominal member fee isn't that big of a deal to me. But you've felt the same way about the AMA for going on 10 years now, and the small increase in dues was pretty nominal at the end of the day. Seems to be a looong time to make this decision.
I started to be unhappy with some AMA decisions about ten years ago, but as I said, I had to be a member to fly at the clubs. Now that I'm not a member of a club, the need to be a member is, and I think you'll agree, much less. I think it was a measured approach, to first drop the high dollar club membership ($100 a year) that I wasn't using, then making a decision about cutting the cord with AMA at my next renewal opportunity.

We all have different definitions of nominal, especially when folks don't agree with the direction and performance of the AMA and it's leaders. I just discovered the FT write in effort, read his platform, and there's a lot I agree with. Particularly his desire to be more muscular in the handling of dangerous acts. I've argued for a long time that's needed...so I might just hang around if he's elected.

I'd think you'd welcome that if it happens, as my membership dollars could be used to offset even more free memberships. Especially when it's virtually guaranteed that AMA insurance would never pay for someone like me (home owner plus umbrella policy coverage).
Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 AM
franklin_m

Can't find the darn thing when I take my eyes off of it.
If that's true, then how in the world are you able to spot full scale traffic approaching ... when the sound of their motors still quite low due to the closer and louder nitro motors?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

If that's true, then how in the world are you able to spot full scale traffic approaching ... when the sound of their motors still quite low due to the closer and louder nitro motors?
They are much larger when close enough to worry about. Almost as loud as the model as well, and a distinctive different sound. Not as hard to spot as a small electric.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:15 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started to be unhappy with some AMA decisions about ten years ago, but as I said, I had to be a member to fly at the clubs. Now that I'm not a member of a club, the need to be a member is, and I think you'll agree, much less. I think it was a measured approach, to first drop the high dollar club membership ($100 a year) that I wasn't using, then making a decision about cutting the cord with AMA at my next renewal opportunity.

No need to wait for that renewal opportunity. The AMA offered you a refund.

We all have different definitions of nominal, especially when folks don't agree with the direction and performance of the AMA and it's leaders. I just discovered the FT write in effort, read his platform, and there's a lot I agree with. Particularly his desire to be more muscular in the handling of dangerous acts. I've argued for a long time that's needed...so I might just hang around if he's elected.

That's especially funny since that burn incident happened at one of his events and IIRC he didn't give you the time of day when posting about it.

I'd think you'd welcome that if it happens, as my membership dollars could be used to offset even more free memberships. Especially when it's virtually guaranteed that AMA insurance would never pay for someone like me (home owner plus umbrella policy coverage).

Still time to take them up on their refund offer.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 AM
franklin_m

They are much larger when close enough to worry about. Almost as loud as the model as well, and a distinctive different sound. Not as hard to spot as a small electric.
Just checking. I wonder if the pilot of the manned aircraft shares the same definition of "close enough to worry about" as you do?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:41 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon

No need to wait for that renewal opportunity. The AMA offered you a refund.

That's especially funny since that burn incident happened at one of his events and IIRC he didn't give you the time of day when posting about it.

Still time to take them up on their refund offer.
I would think an AMA member as loyal as you would be interested in keeping members. After all, hasn't this been a focus of communications from leadership? All the talk about new members, stemming the 15 year tide of declining club membership, etc.?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Just checking. I wonder if the pilot of the manned aircraft shares the same definition of "close enough to worry about" as you do?
If the airplane is below 1000 feet he is easy to spot. I have never had a problem seeing them and land right away. The only issue might be a low flying helicopter, but have never seen one at the field.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I would think an AMA member as loyal as you would be interested in keeping members. After all, hasn't this been a focus of communications from leadership? All the talk about new members, stemming the 15 year tide of declining club membership, etc.?
Most certainly! Every member counts and we all know there's strength in numbers. The last thing I want to see is members leaving the AMA.

However, on a personal basis, it's far more meaningful for me to help my friends achieve their life long financial goals. The experience has been just as rewarding for me as it is for them. $75 is certainly a lot of money and you know the old saying, "a penny saved is a penny earned". In the past, I've seen folks who can easily create their economic analysis, justify it, but executing it is the hard. There's always the uncertainty, the unknown. Once they get over that and start executing it it becomes easier and the uncertainty is just a fading memory.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Most certainly! Every member counts and we all know there's strength in numbers. The last thing I want to see is members leaving the AMA.

However, on a personal basis, it's far more meaningful for me to help my friends achieve their life long financial goals. The experience has been just as rewarding for me as it is for them. $75 is certainly a lot of money and you know the old saying, "a penny saved is a penny earned". In the past, I've seen folks who can easily create their economic analysis, justify it, but executing it is the hard. There's always the uncertainty, the unknown. Once they get over that and start executing it it becomes easier and the uncertainty is just a fading memory.
O yeah, if I didn't have to spend all those AMA dues I could retire on that!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:30 AM
rcmiket

Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Well, I have 20 or so of them already. Flown in everything from electric planks (moderate stress), electric helis (high stress), EDFs / racers (extreme stress), and not a single one of them has "blow[n] and burn[ed] up" in my face.

Perhaps they haven't been a problem even once because I apply the same risk management and technical approach to flying and maintaining my aircraft and equipment that I applied in full scale military aviation? Things like knowing the limits of your equipment, measuring actual demand and comparing against predicted, tracking performance over time, performing regular maintenance, plan - test - verify new applications / uses.
Do U do Annual or Progressive Inspections Of your Toy Airplanes? And just what in the world do these inspections have to do with an AMA membership or "NO" AMA membership? I really don't understand your methods. If I had to worry where I was going to get an extra $75 ($65 for us O'l Farts) I'd crawl in that BOX and close the lid my self. Besides if I don't spend it My Daughter will, and have nothing to show for it either, But that a whole nuther dis-cus-tion.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

The more members the merrier, gadflys included. Our dues are used in a number of ways, I'm more than happy with how they go. They went in part to get the letter that was the main point of this thread. That they go to helping to support (nominally) a youth membership and programs is a o/k with me. Your "virtually" example is off base however, your prior statements about increasing claim payments by the AMA sort of contradict that.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
+1
Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

The more members the merrier, gadflys included. Our dues are used in a number of ways, I'm more than happy with how they go. They went in part to get the letter that was the main point of this thread. That they go to helping to support (nominally) a youth membership and programs is a o/k with me. Your "virtually" example is off base however, your prior statements about increasing claim payments by the AMA sort of contradict that.
The Bennies of being an AMA memberfrom the AMA web site:
Welcome to the[h=2]Academy of Model Aeronautics[/h]The Largest Model Aviation Organization in the world!

[h=3]Your Membership Comes With All This.[/h]

[h=3]Model Aviation Magazine or Model Aviation Digital[/h]Product reviews, technical and "how-to" articles, AMA news, and special features

[h=3]Member Insurance Benefit[/h]
[h=3]If You Purchased It[/h]

$2.5 Million Liability Umbrella
$400 or more a year

$25,000 Medical Coverage
$600 or more a year

$1,000 Fire and Theft Coverage
$30 or more a year

[h=3]AMA Member Credentials[/h]ID card and decal

[h=3]2,400 AMA Chartered Clubs[/h]Learn to fly at our clubs

[h=3]AMAFlightSchool.org[/h]"How do I???"...Answered!! Online Learning

[h=3]Government Advocacy[/h]

[h=3]AMA Today[/h]Monthly e-newsletter

[h=3]AMA Air[/h]Monthly online program with AMA and modeling news

[h=3]College Scholarships[/h]Nearly $50,000 awarded annually

[h=3]Discounts/Programs[/h]Nationwide Insurance
EAA AirVenture - Oshkosh
Enterprise and National Car Rental

[h=3] NEW ADULT MEMBERSHIP $75[/h][h=3] NEW SENIOR MEMBERSHIP $65[/h](65 as of July 1st, 2016)

Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM
porcia83
Banned

Don't forget the Taj Mahal in Muncie!
Old 07-28-2016, 01:35 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The Bennies of being an AMA memberfrom the AMA web site:

Model Aviation Magazine or Model Aviation Digital (Mostly the same stuff I see or have seen in other mags)

$2.5 Million Liability Umbrella (already have one)
$25,000 Medical Coverage (already have employer and mil retiree coverages)

AMA Member Credentials (YGTBSM! That's a benefit? I have more robust, and useful, luggage tags)
2,400 AMA Chartered Clubs (only if you use them, I don't)
Learn to fly at our clubs (don't need to learn, self taught at mil base)

AMAFlightSchool.org (I looked at it, mostly rehash of stuff already covered elsewhere)
"How do I???"...Answered!! (ditto)

AMA Today, Monthly e-newsletter, AMA Air, & Monthly online program with AMA and modeling news (honestly, never read them. I just looked and they're rehash of what's already been on website or in other mags)

College Scholarships: Nearly $50,000 awarded annually (already been to college)

Discounts/Programs:
Nationwide Insurance (my existing policy is better...for less)
EAA AirVenture - Oshkosh (never been)
Enterprise and National Car Rental (my other discounts are better)
In fairness, I don't know if my insurance will cover 1,000 in fire or loss. But honestly, if my stuff gets stolen it's my fault for not adequately securing it or watching it. Same with burned up. If that happens, it's my fault and I deserve to lose them.

In fairness, I don't advocate with the government. So that's something I don't already have.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:41 PM
franklin_m

Don't forget the Taj Mahal in Muncie!
Only if you make a trip there. I've made nine cross country trips in 20 years (military moves), stopped there not once. I doubt that I'm going to take a week off work so I can spend two days driving there, fly a couple days, and spend two more driving back.

I have stopped at various lakes to use our boat, stopped at Presidential libraries, Hearst Castle, Grand Canyon, the Alamo, the National Museum of Naval Aviation, Yellowstone, all sorts of civil war battlefields, USS Alabama, etc.

My point is that if I stop in Muncie, I would be the only one that would have been even mildly interested. I'm not that selfish with my family. I'd rather do things we all enjoy.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

For those selfish folks I guess who enjoy the hobby, from around the world mind you....they have a word class place to fly. Of course some of them actually bring their family who enjoy the hobby as well.

Having been to the Alamo, I can tell you I'd rather go to Muncie...but obviously it's about personal preference.

Last edited by porcia83; 07-28-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

In fairness, I don't know if my insurance will cover 1,000 in fire or loss. But honestly, if my stuff gets stolen it's my fault for not adequately securing it or watching it. Same with burned up. If that happens, it's my fault and I deserve to lose them.

In fairness, I don't advocate with the government. So that's something I don't already have.
Gotta start somewhere!
Old 07-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So if it's your fault does that mean you wouldn't file a claim with your homeowner's policy?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

So if it's your fault does that mean you wouldn't file a claim with your homeowner's policy?
Personal preference!
Old 07-28-2016, 01:57 PM
franklin_m

For those selfish folks I guess who enjoy the hobby, from around the world mind you....they have a word class place to fly. Of course some of them actually bring their family who enjoy the hobby as well.

Having been to the Alamo, I can tell you I'd rather go to Muncie...but obviously it's about personal preference.

The selfish thing is how I was raised - "self last." As for whether they'd like it or not, my family does not enjoy the hobby. I'm the only one, so it would be an imposition on them. That gets back to the selfish thing. I'm just not that way.

My family is big into US history. My 12yo daughter knows more about Lee and Gettysburg than most adults. My sons have seen more historical sites in the country than just about all of their classmates, and even better they can talk about them in detail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.