Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

400 foot? NOPE

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

400 foot? NOPE

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Peppermint? The ones that have affected us are more like under cooked brussel sprouts

Init, I doubt unless you landed on the Whitehouse lawn you'd be "prosecuted", more likely some fine gentleman or lady with a car or truck with a flashy light bar would ask you to cease operations and be on your way. Spout off about your rights and or they come back 10 minutes later and you're flying again, then you might find yourself in more trouble but most modelers are blissfully unaware of TFR's and NOTAMS. Which is why the AMA emails members within a certain radius when a TFR is issued that affects their local area.
I've always received TFR notification in a timely manner from the AMA. It's a great value added service and I and all my club members greatly appreciate that the send them out and hope they continue to do so in the future.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:50 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"...most modelers are blissfully unaware of TFR's and NOTAMS. Which is why the AMA emails members within a certain radius when a TFR is issued that affects their local area.
But in fairness, not all TFRs - only those that mention "model aircraft." Correct?

And what is the geolocation window for who gets the TFRs? Is it anything within 10 miles? 50? 200? By state? I'm just curious how they decide for us what does and does not apply
Old 08-11-2016, 12:55 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Peppermint? The ones that have affected us are more like under cooked brussel sprouts

Init, I doubt unless you landed on the Whitehouse lawn you'd be "prosecuted", more likely some fine gentleman or lady with a car or truck with a flashy light bar would ask you to cease operations and be on your way. Spout off about your rights and or they come back 10 minutes later and you're flying again, then you might find yourself in more trouble but most modelers are blissfully unaware of TFR's and NOTAMS. Which is why the AMA emails members within a certain radius when a TFR is issued that affects their local area.
You do make a great point here Andy , and the funny thing is that at the local soccer field that a bunch of us old guys all gather at and fly electric parkflyers some early mornings and early evenings , the Police like us being there cause 5 or 10 old guys standing around farting around with toy planes are a pretty good deterrent against any drug dealing or other illegal nonsense going on . Whose gonna be sitting there selling drugs when 10 obviously not drug involved people with cellphones are standing around there ?

Last edited by RCKen; 08-16-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

A club got kicked out of a military installation down here, we made the point that a bunch of guys, mostly ex military types, using the facility at random times was the best security they could hope for. It was opened again within weeks
Old 08-11-2016, 01:34 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

That is great and it's nice to hear of those kinds of successes . I guess I'm the luckiest RC flyer in the world because not only are there several clubs very close by , there are also fields like I described that we are welcome to fly at because we have never made nuisances of ourselves to get a bad name in the neighborhood . We fly , for instance , at the soccer field only when there are no soccer activities so we have the whole place to ourselves . If folks have a soccer game or practice , we have a second and even third small field we can gather at to fly the parkies . It's funny that if anyone passes by it's "wow , nice planes ... You got any drones ?" and a couple of the guys actually do fly MRs , it's just that they fly them with no FPV more in the way of "traditional" RC helis .

Last edited by RCKen; 08-16-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:53 PM
franklin_m

A club got kicked out of a military installation down here, we made the point that a bunch of guys, mostly ex military types, using the facility at random times was the best security they could hope for. It was opened again within weeks
That's interesting. With respect to use of military facilities by non-government groups, my SJA always reminded me that "What you do for one group, you have to do for any similar group." So unless they're allowing any private club to use government facilities, I wonder how that's getting past the IG?
Old 08-11-2016, 05:00 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

with a wink and a nod, i would imagine.
at least until there are complaints from other folks.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:14 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
That's interesting. With respect to use of military facilities by non-government groups, my SJA always reminded me that "What you do for one group, you have to do for any similar group." So unless they're allowing any private club to use government facilities, I wonder how that's getting past the IG?
Perhaps it's the previous relationship they had...or perhaps, more importantly...the way they approached the base afterwards.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:32 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[h=1]Marine Infantry Squads May Get Their Own Drone Operators[/h]http://www.defensetech.org/2016/08/1...C=eb_160812.nl
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Perhaps it's the previous relationship they had...or perhaps, more importantly...the way they approached the base afterwards.
That's all well and good, but unfortunately the ethics rules don't recognize 'relationships' as a reason. They're still bound to the policy of doing the same for others. I can only figure the IG doesn't know about it. Certainly not the HQ level IG - those folks tend to have a rather black and white view of the world.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:32 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mongo
...at least until there are complaints from other folks.
Yep. Other dues collecting clubs that have been denied use of facilities will be the first. I had folks all the time asking to use classrooms, fields, etc. to host events. Most were told no for this reason. Exceptions were BSA/GSA (legal exemption), and those directly affiliated with military groups (Navy Relief, etc.).
Old 08-12-2016, 12:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

That's all well and good, but unfortunately the ethics rules don't recognize 'relationships' as a reason. They're still bound to the policy of doing the same for others. I can only figure the IG doesn't know about it. Certainly not the HQ level IG - those folks tend to have a rather black and white view of the world.
I can only wonder if the IG will be made aware of this now....
Old 08-12-2016, 12:11 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Exceptions were BSA/GSA (legal exemption), and those directly affiliated with military groups (Navy Relief, etc.).

All the places I know of, they are Military groups. Of course other members get to fly there, but the umbrella is some sort of military group(s)
Old 08-12-2016, 12:15 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
All the places I know of, they are Military groups. Of course other members get to fly there, but the umbrella is some sort of military group(s)
Well...most places. You're probably going to read shortly about a time where that didn't happen. It will explain a lot.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:47 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Notice I wasn't specific where "down here" is, District V is the largest district in the country so it may take a while to track down
Old 08-12-2016, 02:15 PM
franklin_m

Notice I wasn't specific where "down here" is, District V is the largest district in the country so it may take a while to track down
As I recall, it was Pensacola. Probably at Corry Station, but could be at one of the OLFs.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:21 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I understand what you're getting at, but to be military affiliated it's more of a formal relationship. I.E. Navy Relief. Where it's a tax free organization specifically serving Navy and Marine Corps personnel.

If a club was only open to Navy and Marine Corps, military only, say retirees and dependents, then it might get past the IG. But allowing non-military affiliated people, as part of a dues collecting private group, to come on base gets problematic in a hurry (at least from the IG / ethics perspective) - especially if they come through a fence line. If no fenceline, less of an issue, but then there's still the issue of non-military affiliated folks (AD, dependent, retiree, or GS) being allowed on military bases. I don't know of many anymore that are "open."
Old 08-12-2016, 02:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

Oh..I have no doubt that little detail would not deter someone, anyone who was intent on making sure that if they couldn't have it...nobody should. Especially when one has friends and contacts in high places.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:12 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Oh..I have no doubt that little detail would not deter someone, anyone who was intent on making sure that if they couldn't have it...nobody should. Especially when one has friends and contacts in high places.
Not that hard. Just remember what I read in MA and a little knowledge of the area. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's either OLF Saufley or Site 8A out by I-10 west of the main air station.

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-12-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Silent-AV8R

District V is the largest district in the country so it may take a while to track down
Since when?? District X used to be the largest by both area and population (membership).
Old 08-12-2016, 03:26 PM
franklin_m

Corry Station, OLF Saufley, or Site 8 out by I-10?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:35 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

As Bart Simpson says "Oh Crappity, Crap Crap Crap" Here we go again. Watch and listen to the first part all about FAA Regs Part 101 and 107 Taking affect yesterday 29 Aug 2016.

Some interesting stuff from FAA.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=276

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl.../#74570e1c6743

Need to read and watch.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
As Bart Simpson says "Oh Crappity, Crap Crap Crap" Here we go again. Watch and listen to the first part all about FAA Regs Part 101 and 107 Taking affect yesterday 29 Aug 2016.

Some interesting stuff from FAA.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=276

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl.../#74570e1c6743

Need to read and watch.
This has been discussed in one of the other threads and dismissed by the everything is wonderful crowd and there's nothing to worry about.

Mike
Old 08-29-2016, 03:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
This has been discussed in one of the other threads and dismissed by the everything is wonderful crowd and there's nothing to worry about.

Mike
And equally discussed by the everything is horrible see I knew it would happen and oops it didn't really happen but trust me after 14 years I know something bad is going to happen just around the corner crowd.

Meanwhile, back in reality, folks continue to fly just as they have done all along. The amazing power of positive thinking and going on with life without daily doom and gloom. If they don't do nothing wrong....they won't get caught. Easy peazy lemon squeezy!
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 AM
TimJ

The law of attraction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.