Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

This just in, email from ama

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

This just in, email from ama

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yes sir! I'll join a posse to round up them there renegade flyers and bring them back to the AMA commune to be programmed. Will there be shiny badges? Guns?
Budget accordingly.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:49 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by chris p. Bacon
budget accordingly.
lol
Old 07-20-2016, 10:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
And in other news....THE SKY IS FALLING....
Oh noooooooo...

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Just like yesterday.
And just wait, it will probably happen tomorrow...or later. Time will tell!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Oh noooooooo...

I'm just waiting for the reports of the AMA trying to buy a major world religion. Come on, you know it's coming! You can't make this stuff up!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

That seem to be your boilerplate response to anyone with gripe about AMA. The loo in the local public house reeks...... I should volunteer to do the janitor's job.
I wouldn't look at it as much of a boilerplate response, but more of a challenge. I sure have said it a lot though, and over the past two or three years, I have yet to see person take up the challenge. Perhaps they enjoy the stench of the loo too much? Who knows.

What I do know is that there are those that have done nothing but whine and complain and gnash their teeth and second guess and always come up with suggestions about how things SHOULD be done, or SHOULD have been done. They are just like the folks at your club (assuming you're part of one) that have all these great suggestions at meetings about how the next event should be run, or how to fix something, or you know just about anything. And when they are told, great idea, put that together and then come back to us and let us know you're plan.....poof...they crawl back under their rock, never to be heard from again. Or until the next meeting, when the cycle repeats itself.

So, go back 10 years worth of AMA threads and tell me, what's one trend running throughout. You've been there, so you should know. The constant drone of the know it alls, the prognosticators and Carnacks, all gifted with the keen ability of 20/20 vision. Oh how they would change the world. Oh how they would do things. Oh how much better it would be. Ironically the discussion of "Traditional" versus "others" was alive way back then too, well before the drones arrived and filled the EC with bloodlust and visions of world domination.

Only one guy I can think of tried to take the bull by the horns and do something, and the campaign and lead up to the elections were nothing short of a dumpster fire. He was resoundingly voted down, and had the class to admit it, then move on. I wonder if the same will be said for the next AMA VP or Presidential candidate who doesn't make it to the top. Time will tell

So ya, boilerplate response or challenge, call it what you will. Is anyone going to do anything about it or spend the next ten years doing the same thing they have already done...whine from the sidelines? Based on history...I know what my bet is on.

Please wash the hands before leaving the public house.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:14 AM
TimJ

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	owned-paliza-spank.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2173737  
Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

in no instance is that even called for or funny, tim.
i thought we were all adults...
Old 07-20-2016, 11:36 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by mongo
in no instance is that even called for or funny, tim.
i thought we were all adults...
Was that the initiation of a Smogsville AMA AVP?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:50 AM
cj_rumley

I wouldn't look at it as much of a boilerplate response, but more of a challenge. I sure have said it a lot though, and over the past two or three years, I have yet to see person take up the challenge. Perhaps they enjoy the stench of the loo too much? Who knows.
See post 22
Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 PM
TimJ

Clearly a wide variance in since of humor, whit and nothing to do with the age of oneself.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
Clearly a wide variance in since of humor, whit and nothing to do with the age of oneself.
Some lost their sense of humor a long time ago, replacing it with negativity, anger, and discontent.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

See post 22
see post 30. 10 years, still the same narrative. Does it ever get old?

Those that can, do. Those that can't, watch from the cheap seats.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Oh noooooooo...

It's tomorrow somewhere. Did the sky fall yet? I really hope we don't have to wait another day for it to fall, again.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

The sun come up this morning, all is well. For now.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:40 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sun come up this morning, all is well. For now.
bet your bottom dollar, tomorrow.....
Old 07-21-2016, 05:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
bet your bottom dollar, tomorrow.....
Lol!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 12:42 PM
franklin_m

------- 10 Jul 2016 email from me to FAA UAS Integration Office ------

"Public law 112-95 section 336 paragraph (a)(1) through (a)(5) details five conditions that must be met for a sUAS / sUAS operation to be considered a "model aircraft" under the law. Paragraph (a)(2) discusses a community-based organization and uses the word "and" on two conditions within that sentence. In the FAA's "Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft" the question of a membership requirement was left unanswered.

It is an important question as to whether the FAA will require citizens to be members in private dues collecting organizations in order to enjoy the privilege of operating a "model aircraft" in the public airspace. Requiring membership in the AMA to operate as a "model aircraft" as defined in PL112-95 Section 336(a)(2) would be the legal equivalent of requiring membership in AOPA to operate as a private pilot. Therefore, this is an important ambiguity to be resolved.

Therefore, Yes or no, does the FAA interpret PL112-95 Section 336 paragraph (a)(2), "the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;" to mean that to be considered a "model aircraft" under the law, the operator must be a member of a community-based organization? [emphasis added]"

----- 12 July 2016 FAA UAS Integration Office response --------

"The FAA does not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336 (a) (2) as requiring membership in a CBO, nor does the FAA list any CBOs. You must only follow the guidelines of a CBO. [emphasis added]"
Old 07-22-2016, 02:27 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
"The FAA does not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336 (a) (2) as requiring membership in a CBO, nor does the FAA list any CBOs. You must only follow the guidelines of a CBO. [emphasis added]"
So you can pick your CBO from any list you want and you can pick the "guidelines" of said CBO that you want to follow?

Does the AMA have guidelines?
Old 07-22-2016, 02:44 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

AMAs is called the safety code. at least that is what they have been telling us for a few years.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

------- 10 Jul 2016 email from me to FAA UAS Integration Office ------

"Public law 112-95 section 336 paragraph (a)(1) through (a)(5) details five conditions that must be met for a sUAS / sUAS operation to be considered a "model aircraft" under the law. Paragraph (a)(2) discusses a community-based organization and uses the word "and" on two conditions within that sentence. In the FAA's "Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft" the question of a membership requirement was left unanswered.

It is an important question as to whether the FAA will require citizens to be members in private dues collecting organizations in order to enjoy the privilege of operating a "model aircraft" in the public airspace. Requiring membership in the AMA to operate as a "model aircraft" as defined in PL112-95 Section 336(a)(2) would be the legal equivalent of requiring membership in AOPA to operate as a private pilot. Therefore, this is an important ambiguity to be resolved.

Therefore, Yes or no, does the FAA interpret PL112-95 Section 336 paragraph (a)(2), "the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;" to mean that to be considered a "model aircraft" under the law, the operator must be a member of a community-based organization? [emphasis added]"

----- 12 July 2016 FAA UAS Integration Office response --------

The ambiguity is created by you, and seemingly only you (other than the Pavlovian type response from another) and is just another tempest in a teapot stirred vigorously in hopes of well...who knows.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
AMAs is called the safety code. at least that is what they have been telling us for a few years.
And presumably what you have been following for years, with nary a concern in the world.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:12 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mr_matt
So you can pick your CBO from any list you want and you can pick the "guidelines" of said CBO that you want to follow?

Does the AMA have guidelines?
It would appear so. Saves you $75 a year (for now) unless you need CBO membership for some other reason.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

It would appear so. Saves you $75 a year (for now) unless you need CBO membership for some other reason.
(for now)...because the rates are bound to go up right?

"savings" will be in the eye of the beholder....folks join for many reasons.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:21 PM
franklin_m

The ambiguity is created by you...
http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx

Beginning at about 35 seconds, Chad makes the following explicit statement: "We've made it clear, that to operate within our safety program, you must join the AMA and affirm your willingness to comply with our safety code and related safety guidelines. [emphasis added]"

You accuse me of creating ambiguity? Is Chad not speaking for the AMA? In that capacity did he not say that "to comply with our safety program, you must join the AMA." No ambiguity there. Certainly none created by me. Chad made the statement in an AMA produced video.

Thankfully, the FAA UAS Integration Office does concur with AMA's position. In response to a direct question that even used the AMA as an example, they explicitly rebuked the AMA's statement by saying that "The FAA does not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336 (a) (2) as requiring membership in a CBO, nor does the FAA list any CBOs. You must only follow the guidelines of a CBO. [emphasis added]"
Old 07-22-2016, 05:25 PM
franklin_m

(for now)...because the rates are bound to go up right?

"savings" will be in the eye of the beholder....folks join for many reasons.
Rates going up? All it takes is a motion and a vote by the board right? My point is that there's nothing that prevents it.

As for savings / eye of the beholder / join for many reasons.... don't disagree. I just know that operating as a "model aircraft" under PL112-95 Section 336 (a)(2) isn't one of them. FAA says quite clearly that you do not need to be a member to operate lawfully under the law as a "model aircraft."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.