Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:25 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ira d
The AMA is who pushed this law through congress concerning models that have to be inspected by the AMA, if they don’t want the liability they should have thought of that before they lobbied for the law. Now the AMA should just inspect any models that the law requires inspection on where it be a AMA members models or not and leave it at that, and also the FAA should require that the AMA follow the law.
Interesting take, but say what? Explain how they should be responsible for non members airplanes? Can you see the outrage now about the AMA and some of it's members doing the work of the feds without payment or indemnification! That will stoke the anti AMA rhetoric for the next 10 years.

They advocate on behalf of their paying membership.....as they should. If some of what they do opens to door for another CBO to come along and enjoy the fruits of the AMA's labor...so be it.

What would you guess though will ultimately be the need for this? 3 times a year? 5? Still feels like this is a tempest in a teapot.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Really? What evidence do you have that the AMA lobbied for this law?
I am sure if you take the time to do some research you will find the evidence. Do you really believe that someone just made up the law about operating under a CBO without input of the AMA? If you
do I would like you to start depositing funds in my account because it is a Ira account.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

I am sure if you take the time to do some research you will find the evidence. Do you really believe that someone just made up the law about operating under a CBO without input of the AMA? If you
do I would like you to start depositing funds in my account because it is a Ira account.
Finally someone else with a sense of humor!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure if you take the time to do some research you will find the evidence.

So you don't have any actual evidence.

Do you really believe that someone just made up the law about operating under a CBO without input of the AMA?

You think this is the first law Congress wrote?

If you

Post your account number.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Sport_Pilot

Really? What evidence do you have that the AMA lobbied for this law?
I hope they did! We would be in a big hurt if not for this law.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 PM
cj_rumley

You are correct Ira, the CBO thing hatched at the sUAS and AMA rep Hanson picked it up and ran with it, even before the ARC made their report. You can see it all in the ARC report. It, and Hanson's comments on it were available on the AMA website, and a search on the ARC topic in this forum will turn up some lengthy and lively threads.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I hope they did! We would be in a big hurt if not for this law.
Certainly possible that if the AMA didn't already have an inspection program in place > 55lb models could be grounded indefinitely. Yet, rather than be thankful, all those who post here don't have anything close to a 55lb model are complaining the most. More AMA = bad mantra.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:12 PM
cj_rumley

If FAA deems flying MA over 55 lbs being restricted to CBO members has become a PITA for them, they have an easy out. FAA represents the US as a member state of ICAO. ICAO's definition of a model aircraft includes a 25 kg upper weight limit. They are not restricted by 336 from doing this, as it not a new restriction, but rather an existing one they have not gotten around to codifying. That isn't surprising; before the sUAS ARC the FAA was pretty much hands off regulating model aircraft and all proposed regulation of UAS specifically excepted them, citing the guidance in AC 91-57 as authorization to fly.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:07 PM
franklin_m

I'm just thankful they clarified, explicitly, that AMA membership is not required to comply with the "...guidelines.. and programming..." paragraph (a)(2) of PL112-95 Section 336

"The FAA does not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336 (a) (2) as requiring membership in a CBO, nor does the FAA list any CBOs. You must only follow the guidelines of a CBO [emphasis added]".

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]
http://www.faa.gov/uas
Old 07-28-2016, 04:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

lol, they "clarified" something almost everyone knew already..how many times are we going to hear this?

Last edited by porcia83; 07-28-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/RL0xU1daTlMoE" width="480" height="443" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 07-28-2016, 04:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

ouch
Old 07-28-2016, 04:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
ouch
It gets better after a few hours. Keep watching.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:56 PM
franklin_m

lol, they "clarified" something almost everyone knew already..how many times are we going to hear this?
Just getting the thread back on the titled subject.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

okey dokey!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:22 PM
franklin_m

FYI, although you intimated that this isn't news, that it's something everyone knew all along (paraphrasing), apparently some at the AMA still think you have to be a member.

Chad Budreau on 25 July - "To operate within AMA’s programming, membership is required [emphasis added]."

Tyler Dobbs on 28 July - "To operate within AMA’s nationwide community-based programming, a pilot needs to be a member [emphasis added]."

As we know though, the only organization with the authority to enforce has said that membership is not required. Whew!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
FYI, although you intimated that this isn't news, that it's something everyone knew all along (paraphrasing), apparently some at the AMA still think you have to be a member.

Chad Budreau on 25 July - "To operate within AMA’s programming, membership is required [emphasis added]."

Tyler Dobbs on 28 July - "To operate within AMA’s nationwide community-based programming, a pilot needs to be a member [emphasis added]."

As we know though, the only organization with the authority to enforce has said that membership is not required. Whew!
Whew indeed! Thank god you forced them to "admit" this.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 PM
cj_rumley

Wonder why the usual suspects didn't reveal what they, presumably among the "almost everybody knew already" in any of the many posts on the topic they revved up their keyboards to "contribute" to the discussion before Franklin posted the reply to his query to FAA.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Wonder why the usual suspects didn't reveal what they, presumably among the "almost everybody knew already" in any of the many posts on the topic they revved up their keyboards to "contribute" to the discussion before Franklin posted the reply to his query to FAA.
Economic analysis.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:07 PM
cj_rumley

Economic analysis.
Good point. I can see the economic advantage of propagating that disinformation to increase membership/revenue flow.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Really, that's the response? That's the best effort?

Tomorrow I'll write the FAA and ask them if I need to register my 2.5 pound foamy, because it's an airplane, not a drone. After they write me and tell me that yes, I do, and it's now called an "drone", I'm going to post that response in a thread here and then wait for the thanks and adulation to pour in.

Say, I didn't see you asking the question that Franklin did, before he did. Was that because you genuinely didn't know but didn't want to let on, or you pretty much already knew but didn't want to publicly disagree with him? <rhetorical question>
Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

Good point. I can see the economic advantage of propagating that disinformation to increase membership/revenue flow.
It's all a part of the great scheme you've been calling out for the last 10-13 years.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:31 PM
cj_rumley

Really, that's the response? That's the best effort?

Tomorrow I'll write the FAA and ask them if I need to register my 2.5 pound foamy, because it's an airplane, not a drone. After they write me and tell me that yes, I do, and it's now called an "drone", I'm going to post that response in a thread here and then wait for the thanks and adulation to pour in.

Say, I didn't see you asking the question that Franklin did, before he did. Was that because you genuinely didn't know but didn't want to let on, or you pretty much already knew but didn't want to publicly disagree with him? <rhetorical question>
Because I genuinely didn't know. Silent-AV8R stated that it was so, and despite a long history of spirited disagreement between him and myself as to opinions, when he makes a statement of fact, I trust and respect what he said. He has earned cred with me and from appearances broadly across the model aviation community. Right now I believe that he was misinformed rather than prevaricating.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Because I genuinely didn't know. Silent-AV8R stated that it was so, and despite a long history of spirited disagreement between him and myself as to opinions, when he makes a statement of fact, I trust and respect what he said. He has earned cred with me and from appearances broadly across the model aviation community. Right now I believe that he was misinformed rather than prevaricating.
I'd rather do my own legwork than rely on someone else, cred or no cred. To each their own.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:49 PM
cj_rumley

I'd rather do my own legwork than rely on someone else, cred or no cred. To each their own.
Yes, it's clear that cred doesn't matter to you. Got it, quite some time past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.