Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Old 08-09-2016, 06:48 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruff
I asked at [email protected] how to verify you are flying within a CBO program if a problem came up. They're reply was that they would do case by case review, which includes checking
for membership of CBO.
Bob
Case by case...but not requiring membership, just seeing if the party wad part of one.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:49 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked at [email protected] how to verify you are flying within a CBO program if a problem came up. They're reply was that they would do case by case review, which includes checking
for membership of CBO.
Bob
Checking for membership in a organization your not required to join now that's the government for ya.

Mike
Old 08-10-2016, 05:10 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Checking for membership in a organization your not required to join now that's the government for ya.

Mike
Doubtful that's the case but of course it's popular to make those kind of assumptions about the govt, or the ama
Old 08-10-2016, 06:17 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

One reason the FAA might check for membership would be to validate if an individual was flying as a hobbyist vs commercial. That could pull some weight regarding the intent of a suspected violation.

Last edited by Tipover; 08-10-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:27 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Tipover
One reason the FAA might check for membership would be to validate if an individual was flying as a hobbyist vs commercial. That could pull some weight regarding the intent of a suspected violation.
Seems like a check of the FAA Registration site would net them that info as commercial use requires a bunch of paperwork that the FAA not the AMA requires. As the AMA has stated several time FAA registration is up to the individual.

Mike.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:39 AM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a text version of my E-mail.
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2016 7:51 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: PL112-95 S336 and CBO

The FAA conducts thorough investigations of unsafe or unauthorized operations to develop evidence of
possible regulatory misconduct. Determinations regarding whether a modeler is operating in accordance
with a CBO are made on a case by case basis based on the evidence available, including membership.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]
http://www.faa.gov/uas

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 12:18 PM
To: 9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA)
Subject: PL112-95 S336 and CBO

Greetings,
Having seen the FAA response stating you are not required to join a community-based
organization. How does one determine, LEO, FAA, general public if a sUAS pilot is flying under the
guidelines of a community-based organization ? Membership card in CBO?

Thanks you,
Bob Ruff
FAA FA33A77K9L
AMA 2028

Bob
Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Seems like a check of the FAA Registration site would net them that info as commercial use requires a bunch of paperwork that the FAA not the AMA requires. As the AMA has stated several time FAA registration is up to the individual.

Mike.
But either way there's a chance the individual isn't registered with the FAA, in which case a hobby club membership could indicate the intent of the flight.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Here is a text version of my E-mail.
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2016 7:51 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: PL112-95 S336 and CBO

The FAA conducts thorough investigations of unsafe or unauthorized operations to develop evidence of
possible regulatory misconduct. Determinations regarding whether a modeler is operating in accordance
with a CBO are made on a case by case basis based on the evidence available, including membership.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]
http://www.faa.gov/uas

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 12:18 PM
To: 9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA)
Subject: PL112-95 S336 and CBO

Greetings,
Having seen the FAA response stating you are not required to join a community-based
organization. How does one determine, LEO, FAA, general public if a sUAS pilot is flying under the
guidelines of a community-based organization ? Membership card in CBO?

Thanks you,
Bob Ruff
FAA FA33A77K9L
AMA 2028

Bob

Thanks for sharing what you received from the FAA UAS Integration Office. This is very helpful for all of us.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:06 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:11 AM
bruff

I personally think that to operate within a CBO you need to be a member. The FAA can not force you to join that is why they have their guidelines also posted to follow . Example, for the over 55 lb model. Unless it is certified under a CBO program(requires membership) you need to use the FAA rules.
Bob

Last edited by bruff; 08-10-2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:51 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by init4fun
That's fine that you personally think that . But the FAA on the other hand , appears to have now sent out two very different Emails saying two very different things to two different people . Now , the last guy who posted up an FAA Email was called a liar because that Email did not fit the narrative that some here are pushing , are you too calling his Email a fraud , and if so , what proof is there of ANY of these Email being authentic ? So tell me Bob , which Email AM I supposed to believe , the one that fits my view , your view , or neither , since now there appear to be two at direct odds with each other ?

PS , my view is that it's gonna be a cold day in Hell when the FAA comes right out and says AMA membership is required , and that why they've danced around the issue with language like "within the programming" and so fourth . If you want the AMA to be a forced membership group that's your opinion and an opinion that's shared by at least a couple of your fellow posters around here , but my opinion is that the forced member is not a happy member , and thus no real asset , other than financial , to our organization . Is it really ALL about the money to you and the other "forced membership" proponents ? No "quality instead of quantity" of members as long as the $$$ are rollin in ?
Init, the FAA reply Email that Bob posted is consistent with AC91-51A para 6.c. Determination of Model Aircraft" Status. In an investigation of an incident (accident, report of unsafe operation, etc) involving a small UAS, it is conceivable that identification of the craft as being a model aircraft or a drone (or rock, arrow, chucked pumpkin, or anything, else that flies), as it relates to what provision of the what law may have been violated. As if the investigator might not recognize what is a model aircraft, CBO membership might be one small bit of evidence that the perp was flying a model aircraft. Far fetched, but it is stated in the AC.

Determination of “Model Aircraft” Status

. Whether a given unmanned aircraft operation
may be considered

a “model aircraft
operation

is determined with reference to section 336
of Public Law 112-95
Old 08-10-2016, 09:54 AM
bruff

I agree the FAA will never force any one the join a CBO. I'm not asking any one to be force to join a CBO. The FAA guidelines work for most hobbyist but if you want to fly outside of those rules, (example 55+ or larger , large fast turbines, etc) then you will need to join a CBO to use their rules instead of the FAA rules.
Bob
Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:45 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 AM
franklin_m

"The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities. The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education and scientific/technical development to modelers."

What still perplexes me is why those so altruistically dedicated to promoting, advancing, safeguarding, and protecting of modeling activities would not want more people to use the code – even if they’re non-members?

After all, just think of how many fewer near miss reports there would be if all those loathed “drone” fliers didn’t feel like they needed to be members to participate in the “programming?”

But instead, some are talking about being required to pay for the use of the very same code that AMA says is key to their "impeccable" 80-year history of flying safely?

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-10-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:00 AM
TimJ

That's fine that you personally think that . But the FAA on the other hand , appears to have now sent out two very different Emails saying two very different things to two different people . Now , the last guy who posted up an FAA Email was called a liar because that Email did not fit the narrative that some here are pushing , are you too calling his Email a fraud , and if so , what proof is there of ANY of these Email being authentic ? So tell me Bob , which Email AM I supposed to believe , the one that fits my view , your view , or neither , since now there appear to be two at direct odds with each other ?

PS , my view is that it's gonna be a cold day in Hell when the FAA comes right out and says AMA membership is required , and that why they've danced around the issue with language like "within the programming" and so fourth . If you want the AMA to be a forced membership group that's your opinion and an opinion that's shared by at least a couple of your fellow posters around here , but my opinion is that the forced member is not a happy member , and thus no real asset , other than financial , to our organization . Is it really ALL about the money to you and the other "forced membership" proponents ? No "quality instead of quantity" of members as long as the $$$ are rollin in ?
Bob is a friend of mine, I doubt he would post this to fit some sort of agenda as you have suggested. Careful how you tread.

As I've said in the past (and I disagree with Bob) one does NOT need to be a member of the AMA to follow safety guidelines of a CBO. But as the rules are written, if you plan to operate a model aircraft that is over 55lbs, then you have no choice but to be a member of a CBO such as the AMA or you can choose to apply for an "N" number (register) with the FAA to operate your model aircraft. Your choice.....Personally I would rather a person have their aircraft inspected by a CBO who know what to look for...........Really, how hard is it to understand what is written rule?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:17 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:26 AM
TimJ

Now , the last guy who posted up an FAA Email was called a liar because that Email did not fit the narrative that some here are pushing , are you too calling his Email a fraud , and if so , what proof is there of ANY of these Email being authentic ? So tell me Bob , which Email AM I supposed to believe , the one that fits my view , your view , or neither , since now there appear to be two at direct odds with each other ?
My Apologies, Once you started to attack Bob's character, it did not sit well with me.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

That's fine that you personally think that . But the FAA on the other hand , appears to have now sent out two very different Emails saying two very different things to two different people . Now , the last guy who posted up an FAA Email was called a liar because that Email did not fit the narrative that some here are pushing ,

No one said anything of the sort. You should really stop making up stuff to try and make your case. Verification and validation are common everyday practices in many businesses and professions.

are you too calling his Email a fraud , and if so , what proof is there of ANY of these Email being authentic ?

So tell me Bob , which Email AM I supposed to believe , the one that fits my view , your view , or neither , since now there appear to be two at direct odds with each other ?

You can believe anyone you want. Better yet, why not ask the FAA yourself?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:42 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Tipover
But either way there's a chance the individual isn't registered with the FAA, in which case a hobby club membership could indicate the intent of the flight.
and if he isn't registered does he not have a bigger problem with the FAA regardless of the "intent of the flight"? The FAA requires registration and has fines attached to not doing so the AMA does not.
The AMA has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Mike
Old 08-10-2016, 12:52 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Bob is a friend of mine, I doubt he would post this to fit some sort of agenda as you have suggested. Careful how you tread.

As I've said in the past (and I disagree with Bob) one does NOT need to be a member of the AMA to follow safety guidelines of a CBO. But as the rules are written, if you plan to operate a model aircraft that is over 55lbs, then you have no choice but to be a member of a CBO such as the AMA or you can choose to apply for an "N" number (register) with the FAA to operate your model aircraft. Your choice.....Personally I would rather a person have their aircraft inspected by a CBO who know what to look for...........Really, how hard is it to understand what is written rule?
You know its strange I have seen any guide lines as to what to look for when inspecting over 55b models. IMO the FAA should post those guidelines if they intend to enforce the 336 rule.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:54 PM
cj_rumley

and if he isn't registered does he not have a bigger problem with the FAA regardless of the "intent of the flight"? The FAA requires registration and has fines attached to not doing so the AMA does not.
The AMA has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Mike
A practical example of how it might apply is the Pirker case. He said he was legitimately flying a model airplane as authorized under AC91-57. Would holding an AMA card have helped his case, to show he was operating a model aircraft? I doubt it, but ymmv (not you specifically, but somebody, like a judge).
Old 08-10-2016, 01:06 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by ira d
You know its strange I haven't seen any guide lines as to what to look for when inspecting over 55b models. IMO the FAA should post those guidelines if they intend to enforce the 336 rule.
Why? The FAA doesn't want anything to do with nor have provisions to inspect 55lb+ model aircraft. It is up to the CBO at that point.

Here are your Guidelines Ira: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/520-a.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.