Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
and if he isn't registered does he not have a bigger problem with the FAA regardless of the "intent of the flight"? The FAA requires registration and has fines attached to not doing so the AMA does not.
The AMA has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Mike
It would depend on the severity of the violation. The FAA said they would investigate membership on a case by case review.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:21 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:26 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Why? The FAA doesn't want anything to do with nor have provisions to inspect 55lb+ model aircraft. It is up to the CBO at that point.

Here are your Guidelines Ira: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/520-a.pdf
Thanks for the info and now that I think of it I think I have seen that info before. I do agree the FAA really does not want anything to do with inspecting model aircraft but the responsibility for enforcing that part of the 336 rule
falls on them but hopefully they won’t actively enforce it.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:48 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by ira d
Thanks for the info and now that I think of it I think I have seen that info before. I do agree the FAA really does not want anything to do with inspecting model aircraft but the responsibility for enforcing that part of the 336 rule
falls on them but hopefully they won’t actively enforce it.
You are welcome. I get the feeling we will not have to worry about the FAA going after 55lb plus aircraft. At least until someone does something to attract bad attention.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:02 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:02 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are welcome. I get the feeling we will not have to worry about the FAA going after 55lb plus aircraft. At least until someone does something to attract bad attention.
Exactly!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by init4fun
I believe the same could be said for all types of hobby flight , don't make a nuisance of yourself and you won't be gone after , do something bad with a .40 sized Alpha trainer or a 55# craft and expect to meet Mr. FAA and his book of fines ....
Very true. As long as we don't have a fixed wing pilot wanting to try to chase off blimps with his 40 size bird, we will all me okay.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:56 AM
rcmiket

Very true. As long as we don't have a fixed wing pilot wanting to try to chase off blimps with his 40 size bird, we will all me okay.
Once 16 years ago now that's a major problem.

Mike
Old 08-11-2016, 11:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
All it takes is one guy...like Pirker...
Old 08-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by porcia83
All it takes is one guy...like Pirker...
Damn fixed wing pilots....
Old 08-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Mike
You bet. It could easily happen again any day now. Well no chance if Tougas wins and confiscates all our R/C equipment to return to "traditional modeling" (aka rubber powered free flight).
Old 08-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Silent-AV8R

Interesting article. Look at the second page especially:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl.../#74570e1c6743
Old 08-24-2016, 04:24 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R

Looks like AMA is being offered bargaining options: Must be dues-paying AMA member to be "within the programming" of a CBO to fly a model airplane vs AMA being Dronz R US.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Link won't work for me, but it's prob my system. Is this good or not so good news. Some of the writers at Forbes aren't the most "unbiased"
Old 08-24-2016, 04:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Looks like AMA is being offered bargaining options: Must be dues-paying AMA member to be "within the programming" of a CBO to fly a model airplane vs AMA being Dronz R US.
The AMA or any other CBO I presume?
Old 08-24-2016, 04:38 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by porcia83
The AMA or any other CBO I presume?
Are you still parroting AMA in saying there are other CBOs that meet the definition they wrote?
Old 08-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

It reads like a catch 22. It's pretty obvious that the FAA isn't too worried about who's rules we hobbyists follow as long as we avoid interfering with with the safety of full scale and innocent bystanders on the ground. But once the FAA's attention is called to someones flying negligence, then I highly doubt that having a CBO membership will be of much saving grace.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 PM
rcmiket

The new drone rules set to go into effect Monday — known as Part 107 for the section of the federal aviation regulations — are expected to be a boon to commercial operators, lifting many current expensive and time-consuming requirements, including the need to have a manned aircraft pilot’s license and to stay more than 500 feet from people, cars and structures. The new rules do require a commercial operator to get a Remote Pilot Certificate with a Small Unmanned Aircraft Rating — licensed, current pilots have to pass a simple online test; non-pilots have to pass an aeronautical knowledge test which includes the ability to read aeronautical charts, understand and decipher aviation weather reports, in addition to learning the new operational drone rules. It costs approximately $150 to take the test. After taking the test, would-be drone pilots need to be vetted by TSA to determine whether they are a security risk. Only after that vetting is done will the FAA issue an applicant a certificate to fly a drone.
The catch here is that while the new rules are a significant easing of restrictions for commercial operators, they bring a huge change to the way the FAA has distinguished between hobby or recreational flyers and non-hobby or business flyers. So come Monday, many hobby flyers will be lumped in with commercial operators. And require an FAA certificate to fly their drones. Of course operating without an FAA license will subject these hobbyists to potential FAA enforcement action, including fines of $1,100 per violation.
After August 29, the effective date of the new rules, being a hobbyist is no longer enough to evade commercial drone requirements, as it has been in the past. Prior to these new rules the FAA created a clear distinction in terms of requirements for hobby or recreational flyers and those who flew unmanned aircraft for commercial or business purposes. By the end of August, that simple distinction disappears. That will likely come as a shock to many of you who have been flying model aircraft or drones and are caught unawares by these new rules. But while many people have been celebrating the new rules, hobby and recreational flyers have largely been unaware of the changes that are about to hit them next week.
But as my colleague at Vaughn College of Aeronautics, Loretta Alkalay, recently warned in an article in the Drone Law Journal, the law’s changes were worrisome for hobby flyers. And she was right. The FAA today confirmed that many hobbyists will now be required to get an FAA license and comply with the same rules as commercial operators. Like Amazon or Google GOOGL -0.36%.

So for example, if you’ve gotten into drone racing, whether you fly for hobby or not, the FAA confirmed to me today that if you fly FPV – first person view – you will be required to get a drone pilot’s license and comply with the new Part 107. Below is my question and the FAA’s response:
Q: Could you confirm whether hobby FPV flyers will have to get a Part 107 remote pilot certificate after August 29 when the new drone rules go into effect?
A: Under the FAA’s current interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, modelers who want to fly their drones using first-person-view systems must operate under Part 107, which requires a Remote Pilot Certificate. The operator also would need to comply with any other applicable Part 107 requirement.
The FAA’s response indicates that it may review this requirement in the future, but starting Monday Part 107 is the law applicable to FPV flyers. According to the FAA: “The FAA solicited comments to its interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and received over 33,000 comments, including comments on the use of FPV. The FAA is considering the issues raised by those comments and plans to issue a final interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft that reflects its consideration of the comments.”

Not only will FPV flying be prohibited without a license but operators who don’t operate “in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization” will also be required to hold an FAA license and comply with Part 107. If you are an Academy of Model Aeronautics member and fly under their guidelines, you’re safe – unless, of course, you want to fly FPV. The FAA has determined that the AMA meets the criteria for a nationwide community based organization. But if you’re not an AMA member or fly under its guidelines? Here are my questions and the FAA’s response.

Q: Also, will model aircraft pilots who do not belong to the AMA have to get a remote pilot certificate under Part 107 after August 29?
A: The FAA does not mandate membership in any particular community-based organization. To qualify for the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, an unmanned aircraft must, among other things, be operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization. If a hobbyist can’t show that he or she is operating in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization, then he or shee will have to meet the requirements of Part 107
Q: Has any organization other than the AMA been determined to qualify as a community based organization for the purposes of Part 101?
A: The FAA’s interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which was published in the Federal Register on June 25, 2014, noted that the AMA qualified as a community-based organization to provide an example of what types of organizations would qualify. The FAA does not intend to maintain a list of organizations that would qualify as a CBO under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. Rather, the FAA will consider the language of the Conference Report that accompanied H.R. 658, which ultimately became the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, when the need to determine whether an organization qualifies arises. The Conference Report indicates that a nationwide community-based organization is a membership-based association that “represents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground; develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions, government entities and other aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members.”
So as far as whether you’re operating in accordance with “a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization,” the FAA is apparently unwilling to tell you ahead of time, which leaves hobby flyers vulnerable if they operate under the guidelines of an organization which the FAA subsequently determines doesn’t qualify.
So how do young people fare under these new rules? Unfortunately, you need to be at least 16 years old to qualify for an FAA drone license. So if you want to get into drone racing, kids, you’ll have to wait until you’re 16, or fly indoors.

Interesting.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-24-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:13 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If that is true, then that is the end of hobby (non part 107) FPV racing.

Not a huge issue here because FPV is illegal where I fly anyway.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
If that is true, then that is the end of hobby (non part 107) FPV racing.

Not a huge issue here because FPV is illegal where I fly anyway.
Illegal? In your club, town, state?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Are you still parroting AMA in saying there are other CBOs that meet the definition they wrote?
Parroting...lol. Simply asked a question.

The definition that who wrote? So far as I've seen, the FAA didn't designate the AMA as the CBO, just noted CBO in general. Don't get me wrong, there is no CBO better than the AMA, but there's nothing stopping from any other CBO from getting in on the game!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you seen any posts on this yet on the AMA government relations blog?
Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

if this holds,
all those FPV quad racers that joined AMA because their racing association required it are gona be rather cheesed off.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 PM
ira d

Yes interesting indeed, to me the FAA is still not as clear as they should be with this info which should tell us exactly what we should or should not do or in other words how do we show that we are operating
under a CBO. I also think that until we get a test case in court we don’t know how this will play out but with the FAA’s ambiguity on the subject I think the FAA should loose any case they bring.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by mongo
if this holds,
all those FPV quad racers that joined AMA because their racing association required it are gona be rather cheesed off.
Good point I thought the FAA was supposed to leave anyone operating by AMA rules alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.