Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 01:57 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I prefer to ask those question of the folks who were, and still are, responsible for oversight.
Convenient dodge. I guess when I want to know what's going on my first inclination is to ask those directly involved, those folks who profess to be experts in the area and well versed on what goes on. But yes, I guess it makes some sense to skip multiple layers of involvement and go right to the president to inquire about a SIG that has been basically dormant for years.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
More likely, the AMAs problem will be a concern troll that stirs things up with the FAA before the AMA FPV quad racing event in Muncie.

Like most of these FAA issues, concerned "safety types" in the club's/AMA's own membership should be most members number 1 concern.

Has the AMA said they will legally ($) defend someone against this (long standing) FAA FPV interpretation if it comes to that?
Boy did you ever just hit the nail on the head, at least on the concern part. IRS, FAA, AMA...hard to figure which will get the most attention. LOL.

As for the AMA...why defend anyone, but not 100% what you are noting they would be defended over? Criminal charges? No. Civil charges? No. We're all responsible for our own actions. At least imo.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:53 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
I guess when I want to know what's going on my first inclination is to ask those directly involved, those folks who profess to be experts in the area and well versed on what goes on. But yes, I guess it makes some sense to skip multiple layers of involvement and go right to the president to inquire about a SIG that has been basically dormant for years.
The safety culture of an organization (in my world it's also called "Command Climate") is the responsibility of the top leader - nobody else. When a unit has an issue with it's safety culture, they don't go to the rank and file members, or even middle managers, they go straight to the #1 guy. For no matter what, it's his responsibility to set the safety climate / culture, his responsibility to clearly communicate his expectations with respect to execution of that safety climate / culture, his responsibility to enforce the safety climate / culture, and his responsibility to know whether or not the safety climate / culture is effective.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:54 PM
franklin_m

Boy did you ever just hit the nail on the head, at least on the concern part. IRS, FAA, AMA...hard to figure which will get the most attention. LOL.

As for the AMA...why defend anyone, but not 100% what you are noting they would be defended over? Criminal charges? No. Civil charges? No. We're all responsible for our own actions. At least imo.
You wouldn't want your beloved organization violating the Internal Revenue code or the Federal Air Regulations would you?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

The safety culture of an organization (in my world it's also called "Command Climate") is the responsibility of the top leader - nobody else. When a unit has an issue with it's safety culture, they don't go to the rank and file members, or even middle managers, they go straight to the #1 guy. For no matter what, it's his responsibility to set the safety climate / culture, his responsibility to clearly communicate his expectations with respect to execution of that safety climate / culture, his responsibility to enforce the safety climate / culture, and his responsibility to know whether or not the safety climate / culture is effective.
A rousing commentary, an ode to perfection and how things should work in a perfect world. A great glimpse into an ideal that all should strive for, alas, we have the human condition otherwise known as reality to deal with.
[h=3]¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/h]
Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 PM
franklin_m

A rousing commentary, an ode to perfection and how things should work in a perfect world. A great glimpse into an ideal that all should strive for, alas, we have the human condition otherwise known as reality to deal with.
I lived in a very real world that worked that way for over 22 years. Where disciplined operations are the expectation. Why? Because nothing else is tolerated. Deviation from operating procedures is considered unprofessional, and tolerating someone being unprofessional is even worse.

I saw successful command climate from the front lines early in my career, and I was the one accountable for the command climate in my later years. I know what it takes to establish a successful command climate and safety culture. But it requires leaders to be engaged, and it requires leaders to not accept deviation from the standards they set.

As an investigator for very real mishaps, I've also learned to recognize characteristics common in failed command climates - ones that produce catastrophic events. And I can say a climate where leaders "know there is a problem," but have done nothing about it. And it's very dangerous when there is no accountability for overt violations of policy or regulation. No amount of "education and communication" is going to fix that. Only by holding people accountable will you fix an accountability problem.

First three things I'd do?
(Keep in mind, that trying to change a culture quickly ... one serious mishap away... requires more aggressive steps)

- Yank the turbine waiver for the offending pilot and the CD, and yank the CD's authority to CD.

- Change policy so that when a waiver is revoked, and later restored, the record of that revocation is carried on a list in the members only area of the AMA site for a period not less than three years after the date of the restoration. It brings a bit more community accountability for behavior. If people know their name will be on a list for a while, they might be less likely to do things that would get them on the list.

- Write a very open and honest MA article about it for the next magazine. Use that as an opportunity to communicate the safety culture expectations and outline consequences for folks that don't help hold each other accountable. The culture I found most effective was to hold the CD (agent of the AMA) or senior member accountable for addressing misconduct in his presence. If he doesn't address it, then he's held accountable. Trust me, it works. Since there's no "rank" per se, absent a CD, you could hold the senior turbine waiver holder present accountable.

And once the above is complete, make a very public example of the next violator. You have to send a signal of zero tolerance for willful deviation from established SOPs. If you don't do that, then all you're doing is taking the first step backward the normalization of deviance.

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-25-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

You wouldn't want your beloved organization violating the Internal Revenue code or the Federal Air Regulations would you?
A curious choice of words.

It's our organization, not mine. Membership is voluntary, and is different for all of us.

Beloved? Not sure about that. One man's beloved, is another man's meh, whatever. I'll tell you what is isn't for me though. It isn't an organization that I revile, that I loath, that I have utter contempt for, that I look upon with seething resentment, that I mock, or label their efforts at youth engagement as pathetic, that I question their absolute every move, that I spend effort and time and to proactively harm. I'm not angry at them, I appreciate what they do, and try to do. That's why I pay my dues, kick in a few extra bucks, and volunteer my time when I can. As I read the AMA threads going back 10 plus years, that seems to be just some of my observations, albeit from a small sometimes changing minority.

The good news though, is that the membership continues to grow, new members are coming into the fold, and the AMA continues to advocate on behalf of all enthusiasts. Times are not carefree in this hobby, but overall it's a great time to be involved. I would encourage all to enjoy it to it's fullest capacity. Have a great night.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-26-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:34 AM
franklin_m

A curious choice of words.

It's our organization, not mine. Membership is voluntary, and is different for all of us.

Beloved? Not sure about that. One man's beloved, is another man's meh, whatever. I'll tell you what is isn't for me though. It isn't an organization that I revile, that I loath, that I have utter contempt for, that I look upon with seething resentment, that I mock, or label their efforts at youth engagement as pathetic, that I question their absolute every move, that I spend effort and time and to proactively harm. I'm not angry at them, I appreciate what they do, and try to do. That's why I pay my dues, kick in a few extra bucks, and volunteer my time when I can. As I read the AMA threads going back 10 plus years, that seems to be just some of my observations, albeit from a small sometimes changing minority.

The good news though, is that the membership continues to grow, new members are coming into the fold, and the AMA continues to advocate on behalf of all enthusiasts. Times are not carefree in this hobby, but overall it's a great time to be involved. I would encourage all to enjoy it to it's fullest capacity. Have a great night.
It's great that there's selfless and altruistic folks like you out there, never questioning, never doubting.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:05 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are threatening 180,000 plus members of the AMA.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:04 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ
Sounds like you are threatening 180,000 plus members of the AMA.
Simply exercising a well documented right of every citizen to communicate with Federal agencies.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:26 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Franklin:

You are totally wrong when it comes to safety responsibility!!!!!!! Military or civilian, safety is everyone's responsibility from the top to the bottom and the bottom to the top. You may be a self proclaimed military expert but if you have ever been to a complex industrial facility, you will learn very quickly that everyone is responsible for maintaining a safe environment. Maintaining safety is not a finger pointing exercise after the fact but a preemptive effort to keep people from physical injury.

Paul S
Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by paulsf86
Franklin:

You are totally wrong when it comes to safety responsibility!!!!!!! Military or civilian, safety is everyone's responsibility from the top to the bottom and the bottom to the top. You may be a self proclaimed military expert but if you have ever been to a complex industrial facility, you will learn very quickly that everyone is responsible for maintaining a safe environment. Maintaining safety is not a finger pointing exercise after the fact but a preemptive effort to keep people from physical injury.

Paul S
Paul, actually I'm formally trained, educated, and experienced in safety management programs. I managed military aviation and other safety programs for over 20 years. I'm now employed in program management of policy and processes under OHSA 1910.119.

The execution of a safety program is an all hands effort.

However, if you re-read my comments, I was speaking of the overall responsibility for the programmatic aspects of the safety culture. the establishment of it, the management of it, and the processes for holding people accountable for following it. These aforementioned functions are the the sole responsibility of the organizational / unit leader.

Example: individual front line workers were not held accountable for the safety culture on Deepwater Horizon. It was onsight and corporate management that were held accountable for the failed safety culture on that rig.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:05 AM
franklin_m

I can't help but notice on the FAA's own website (https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/), under the flying for recreation, it says only that you have to follow CBO safety guidelines. Despite having the opportunity to say that you also have to be a member, the FAA does not say that at all.

Flying for Fun (recreational or hobby)

1.What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?

Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division."

2.Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?

There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
a. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
b. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
c. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
d. Give way to manned aircraft
e. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
f. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
g. Register the aircraft (UAS over 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 lbs. can be registered online at registermyuas.faa.gov; UAS 55 lbs. or greater must be registered through the FAA's paper-based process)

For more information Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational or hobby UAS operations under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

Option #2. Fly in accordance with the FAA's Small UAS Rule (Part 107). This requires operators to:
a. Obtain a remote pilot certificate or be under the direct supervision of someone who holds such a certificate.
b. Register the aircraft as a non-modeler at registermyuas.faa.gov
c. Follow all the operating rules in accordance with the regulation
For more information visit our "Fly for Work" webpage for rules that apply to UAS operations under Part 107.

Note that in Option #1, it says you have to "Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines." It does not say anything on this official FAA web page that you need to be a member.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

probably because you don't need to be a member. Something that is pretty obvious.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:49 AM
franklin_m

probably because you don't need to be a member. Something that is pretty obvious.
You might want to tell the "AMA Staff" that.

As recently as yesterday at 13:04 they said this: "...you can operate within the safety programming of another CBO and be exempt from Part 107. Participation in AMA’s community-based safety program requires membership in the AMA in that…"

They're still trying to insinuate that you must be a member of a CBO to fly legally under 101.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ther you go, Leader Member contradicting what AMA has broadcast to all of its members, desperately hoping those that cannot see the obvious will spread that fabrication to any non members they encounter.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

I can't help but notice on the FAA's own website (https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/), under the flying for recreation, it says only that you have to follow CBO safety guidelines. Despite having the opportunity to say that you also have to be a member, the FAA does not say that at all.

Flying for Fun (recreational or hobby)

1.What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?

Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division."

2.Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?

There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
a. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
b. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
c. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
d. Give way to manned aircraft
e. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
f. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
g. Register the aircraft (UAS over 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 lbs. can be registered online at registermyuas.faa.gov; UAS 55 lbs. or greater must be registered through the FAA's paper-based process)

For more information Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational or hobby UAS operations under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

Option #2. Fly in accordance with the FAA's Small UAS Rule (Part 107). This requires operators to:
a. Obtain a remote pilot certificate or be under the direct supervision of someone who holds such a certificate.
b. Register the aircraft as a non-modeler at registermyuas.faa.gov
c. Follow all the operating rules in accordance with the regulation
For more information visit our "Fly for Work" webpage for rules that apply to UAS operations under Part 107.

Note that in Option #1, it says you have to "Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines." It does not say anything on this official FAA web page that you need to be a member.
What happened to part 101? Or did I miss the reference?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

As recently as yesterday at 13:04 they said this: "...you can operate within the safety programming of another CBO and be exempt from Part 107. Participation in AMA’s community-based safety program requires membership in the AMA in that…"

They're still trying to insinuate that you must be a member of a CBO to fly legally under 101.
The FAA won't say, but how do you operate "within the programming of a CBO" without joining?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:23 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The FAA won't say, but how do you operate "within the programming of a CBO" without joining?
Judge and/or jury will need to figure that out
Old 08-31-2016, 11:30 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Judge and/or jury will need to figure that out

I agree.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Just because you repeat over and over that you think they are insinuating, doesn't make it so. It's your take, not everyone's. Press onwards and forwards though.

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Ther you go, Leader Member contradicting what AMA has broadcast to all of its members, desperately hoping those that cannot see the obvious will spread that fabrication to any non members they encounter.
LoL...another on the LM kick, join in! There is fabrication and misinformation out there for sure, usually pushed by folks with an agenda. I've yet to see the AMA broadcast what you say. Just keep repeating a lie over and over and pretty soon it becomes "fact".

Last edited by porcia83; 08-31-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

The implication is that you follow the rules, but do not have to be part of the CBO. Makes perfect sense. Fly safe, but the FAA is not going to force you to join a private membership club.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Is this the new membership plan in place, a subtle double secret plan to bamboozle members into joining? I must have missed that in the EC notes.
*Perhaps this is the new marketing strategy. They heard the complaints about the BB partnership, and even more complaints about the $6.00 per new member cost of from Google...so what better way to drum up membership is to have our own members (LM especically) try to trick non members into joining! The folks on the EC are entitled to raises for this plan....er wait, they don't get paid. New shirts and pins, all around!

This stuff gets better and better and more entertaining each day, this is Alex Jones level stuff here.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-31-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: and then it hit me......
Old 08-31-2016, 12:09 PM
Sport_Pilot

The implication is that you follow the rules, but do not have to be part of the CBO. Makes perfect sense. Fly safe, but the FAA is not going to force you to join a private membership club.
The law say's "within the programming", not just follow rules.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

The law say's "within the programming", not just follow rules.
"Within the programming" can be defined as operating within the rules of CBO. The language is intentionally vague and non specific about forced membership in a CBO. As Matt has indicated a judge may need to make a specific ruling on that, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.