Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Before you crucify us "mods" for letting this "go on" let me address this. When we set up an election sub-forum such as these we do offer the candidate a little extra protection from being personally attacked in the sub-forum, but that doesn't normally extend to protection from comments, or even attacks, against his campaign. However, when those comments were made in the sub-forum I did ask Frank if he wanted them removed and he choose to leave them in place and wanted to be given the opportunity to respond to them. So please know that we are watching the sub-forum for inappropriate materials, heck I just caught a previously banned member who returned under a shill account and banned that, and keep it all cleaned up.

Ken
Disappointment is not crucifixion by any means. I don't believe I called for running you out on a rail or tar and feathered.

Mike
Old 09-13-2016, 07:57 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the questions asked of him, by numerous parties, have been factual in nature, all based on his own word, actions, and responses. He has validated all of them to some degree or another, and provided his explanation for what transpired. It's troubling to think he was consulted about posts that could stay or go. Has AIW been afforded the same opportunity as he was wrongly accused of being arrested? Frank made that allegation and AIW said it never happened.

When I posted emails Frank later confirmed he sent, but he said were modified, I redacted them taking his word. At a minimum Frank should take that statement back about the arrest, but I realize that's his choice.

I applaud the fact that the site afforded the candidates a chance to interact with potential voters, and even more so that threads are generally not closed here when there is legitimate disagreement.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:08 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Disappointment is not crucifixion by any means. I don't believe I called for running you out on a rail or tar and feathered.

Mike
Sorry, bad choice of words on my part. It's been a bad morning here. Kind of a Monday part 2 going on work wise and when I answered to your posting I simply chose my words poorly. I am sorry and I hope you can accept my apology.

Ken
Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by RCKen
Sorry, bad choice of words on my part. It's been a bad morning here. Kind of a Monday part 2 going on work wise and when I answered to your posting I simply chose my words poorly. I am sorry and I hope you can accept my apology.

Ken
No worries Ken I've done the same more than once.

Mike
Old 09-21-2016, 08:16 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Seems to me it comes down to this read Frank's Richard's Lawrence, and Eric's statements, read them again and a gain if necessary then pick one. Fill in your ballot and mail it then wait for the results. We're all big boys and girls I believe we can make up our own minds. We all have opinions and this board is a place we can express them hopefully in a polite adult manner. You can beat this dead horse from now until the cows come home and it doesn't mean a thing if you don't vote,
Old 10-01-2016, 12:45 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a thread. Reading Tiano's qualification resume, looks like he is applying for a new job. Does he need one ? What is going on with the participation at his meets ? Increasing or decreasing ?

Is there a salary for the AMA president position ?

Crank
Old 10-01-2016, 03:35 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by crankpin
What a thread. Reading Tiano's qualification resume, looks like he is applying for a new job. Does he need one ? What is going on with the participation at his meets ? Increasing or decreasing ?

Crank
All the candidates statements look like resumes for a job after all the position of AMA president is a job, While not a paid position still a job.

Mike
Old 10-01-2016, 07:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by crankpin

Crank
Nope, the position is unpaid. Imagine that? As are all the Divisional VP, and AVP, and Leader Member positions as well. As for needing a job, don't know that either, but I'm sure the AMA Presidency position wouldn't hurt his other business ventures. He already suggested several changes he would make that would benefit him and his business ventures (and the AMA too of course).

As for Tiano's events and their popularity, all I can say is I've never seen one broadcast on ESPN. I've never seen spectator numbers either, and the poster above me has indicated that's a metric to judge how popular an event is, or isn't. I posted a pic from the last Florida Jet event...looked pretty sparse. Not really surprising given how few AMA members actually participate in that niche, far less than MR racing, we know that for a fact. Tiano has said in the past that giant scale building/flying is decreasing in popularity, again not to surprising given the time and cost element involved.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:20 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Not really surprising given how few AMA members actually participate in that niche.
While certainly not definitive, the activity on the threads at this site would suggest otherwise.

FPV, UAV and Drone forum has 500 threads and 2,100 posts.

RC Jets forum has 51,833 threads and 928,000 posts.

It's always nice to have some numbers to put things in perspective.

far less than MR racing, we know that for a fact
Exactly how many members participate in jets and how many participate in MR racing?

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-01-2016, 10:40 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
While certainly not definitive, the activity on the threads at this site would suggest otherwise.

Exactly how many members participate in jets and how many participate in MR racing?

Regards,

Astro
I love numbers.

I've got some curling viewer numbers vs drone racing viewer numbers if anyone is interested. The Joe Nall numbers both you and I have mentioned speak volumes about "traditional" aviation participation. Guess only the drone racing guys need 12 million to try and get it going. I really hope they weren't too attached to that money.

Mike
Old 10-01-2016, 01:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I love numbers.

I've got some curling viewer numbers vs drone racing viewer numbers if anyone is interested. The Joe Nall numbers both you and I have mentioned speak volumes about "traditional" aviation participation. Guess only the drone racing guys need 12 million to try and get it going. I really hope they weren't too attached to that money.

Mike
By all means share the numbers, it will be a nonsensical comparison, buy hey, it will be fun.

More projections if doom for something non traditional, but I doubt anyone will be losing money. Sounds like more fear, more feelings of being old and not needed, and no longer being relevant.

For the record I don't think anybody in this hobby should feel that way.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

Regards,

Astro
Well you said it, thread activity is no indicator. You also overlooked the fact that it's here that we're talking about not elsewhere. This isn't exactly a site that has embraced this new technology. And just to be clear I don't mean that the site or the admins haven't embraced it rather this isn't a place where multi-rotor and drone users actively gather to discuss what they do. There are numerous other sites where they go to do that

As for jet Pilots vs. Multi-rotor Pilots I have to refer back to tougas in his own comments that indicate just under 10% of AMA membership not their primary interest is multi-rotor it's about 19000 people but hey let's even say it's fifteen thousand people. Do you think we have even 10% of that you fly turbine Jets I don't think so. I'm not even sure we have that many Pilots to fly and a 10 giant scale and turbine events combined. I have to guess the majority of our membership is flying something in between. I would guess the giant scale / turbine jet Pilots and multi-rotor Pilots represent the high or the low end of the bell curve.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:51 AM
astrohog

So, you made a statement of fact in your previous post. I believe that statement of fact was, "Not really surprising given how few AMA members actually participate in that niche, far less than MR racing, we know that for a fact."

I then asked you for some clarification and verification of that "fact" by asking you this, "Exactly how many members participate in jets and how many participate in MR racing?"

And you respond with the following:

but hey let's even say it's
Do you think we have even 10% of that
I don't think so.
I'm not even sure
I have to guess
I would guess
Sounds more like you don't know, or that because PORCIA thinks so, it is now a fact.

Once again, for the integrity of these threads, can we stick to the REAL facts please? Opinions are fine too, but don't state them as facts.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-02-2016, 01:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

So, you made a statement of fact in your previous post. I believe that statement of fact was, "Not really surprising given how few AMA members actually participate in that niche, far less than MR racing, we know that for a fact."

I then asked you for some clarification and verification of that "fact" by asking you this, "Exactly how many members participate in jets and how many participate in MR racing?"

And you respond with the following:

Sounds more like you don't know, or that because PORCIA thinks so, it is now a fact.

Once again, for the integrity of these threads, can we stick to the REAL facts please? Opinions are fine too, but don't state them as facts.

Regards,

Astro
LoL...threads are only here for "facts" now, and I presume you're the judge of what is and what isn't fact? I missed that memo. I know you like to end some sentences with "and thats a FACT"..but saying it doesn't make it so. Opinions only allowed when followed by +1 or consensus? 99% of what you and the others write is opinion, usually doom and gloom based, or criticism after the fact, almost every bit of it opinion. You might recognize words I use like "I think" and " I would guess" as denoting opinion, not fact. When I do present evidence (first hand), or via the AMA reports, that's usually dismissed as well. if you want to be a fact checker/thread monitor, apply your standards evenly, that means to Mike, Franklin etc etc. Or don't...no biggy either way. Good to see the thread topic being discussed though....at least it got a bump!
Old 10-02-2016, 02:36 PM
astrohog

LoL...threads are only here for "facts" now, and I presume you're the judge of what is and what isn't fact? I missed that memo. I know you like to end some sentences with "and thats a FACT"..but saying it doesn't make it so. Opinions only allowed when followed by +1 or consensus? 99% of what you and the others write is opinion, usually doom and gloom based, or criticism after the fact, almost every bit of it opinion. You might recognize words I use like "I think" and " I would guess" as denoting opinion, not fact. When I do present evidence (first hand), or via the AMA reports, that's usually dismissed as well. if you want to be a fact checker/thread monitor, apply your standards evenly, that means to Mike, Franklin etc etc. Or don't...no biggy either way. Good to see the thread topic being discussed though....at least it got a bump!
Why must you always use sarcasm as a defense? It gets old.....

I guess you missed the part where I said opinions are fine, let's just keep them separate from the facts.

These threads took on a much more positive tone last week while you were absent. Why must you bring your negativity back into them?

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-03-2016, 06:15 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I gauge hobby participation on a number of factors, one being the avialability of materials and where they came from. Years ago you couldn't spit without hitting a local hobby shop now they are getting like hen's teeth to find. A new hobby shop has a less than 10% chance of surviving after the first year. The number of companies dedicated to manufacturing hobby supplies is shrinking, say what you will but the consolidation of Great Planes, Hobbico, Tower, etc has probably kept them in business. Look at the big hobby manufacturers most of them have other products/businesses that pay the overhead and keep them in business, their hobby products are a sideline. We have seen a lot of new laser cutting services but most of these guys have another job. They cut airplane kits and short kits to supplement their costs and help pay for their laser cutting setup. Our hobby is not alone. My wife loved to do needlepoint she would buy these kits with all the threads and the design was printed on the background material. Back in the 1980s their would be rows and rows of kit to choose from but try and find a place that sells the kits or kits that are still made. Its easier to find a new R/C kit. If you do find any they are usually counter cross stitch which means you get a drawing and count the threads on the background material to locate the stitches, the design is no longer printed on the cloth and with her eyesight she can't do it.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

Why must you always use sarcasm as a defense? It gets old.....

I guess you missed the part where I said opinions are fine, let's just keep them separate from the facts.

These threads took on a much more positive tone last week while you were absent. Why must you bring your negativity back into them?

Regards,

Astro
It's nice when everyone agrees with one another isn't it, +1 ! Glad to see you're allowing opinions now, thanks. I apologize for my absence last week, noticed you were off too (if I don't post the threads kind of die down), but I was super busy. Updates coming shortly, including info on how the AMA spends their money. Stay tuned!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I gauge hobby participation on a number of factors, one being the avialability of materials and where they came from. Years ago you couldn't spit without hitting a local hobby shop now they are getting like hen's teeth to find. A new hobby shop has a less than 10% chance of surviving after the first year. The number of companies dedicated to manufacturing hobby supplies is shrinking, say what you will but the consolidation of Great Planes, Hobbico, Tower, etc has probably kept them in business. Look at the big hobby manufacturers most of them have other products/businesses that pay the overhead and keep them in business, their hobby products are a sideline. We have seen a lot of new laser cutting services but most of these guys have another job. They cut airplane kits and short kits to supplement their costs and help pay for their laser cutting setup. Our hobby is not alone. My wife loved to do needlepoint she would buy these kits with all the threads and the design was printed on the background material. Back in the 1980s their would be rows and rows of kit to choose from but try and find a place that sells the kits or kits that are still made. Its easier to find a new R/C kit. If you do find any they are usually counter cross stitch which means you get a drawing and count the threads on the background material to locate the stitches, the design is no longer printed on the cloth and with her eyesight she can't do it.

+1 !

Hobby shops are becoming scarce too...I think the internet has played a large role in their demise (although many still are here and are thriving), and to some degree the internet has opened up so many other choices for folks to get their interest piqued! Some other interesting vendors have come along too though, lot's of folks advertising for custom 3D printed goods and parts, vinyl decal fabricators are starting to pop up too among others.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:38 AM
wattmhite

Originally Posted by timj
if you want to vote for frank, just remember you have to write him in when you receive your ballet. Oh, and don't forget to mail it off before the deadline.
lol!!!