Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Old 07-28-2016, 07:28 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 AMA Presidential Elections

Larry Tougas
It is time for a change.The AMA has strayed from its mission.
We must return the AMA’s focus back to traditional modelers.

If you agree with those sentiments please read on to see why I, Lawrence Tougas am the best choice to be the AMA’s next President.
The AMA is celebrating its 80th anniversary this year. We’ve had a wonderful history. A history filled with the safe operation of model aircraft. We’ve done this largely invisible to the general public. We were invisible that is, until recently.
Starting in 2014 a tidal wave of bad news stories crashed down on AMA members. There seemed to be a report daily of some model flying close to a manned aircraft or over a place it shouldn’t have been flying. These stories were in the most prominent news publications and television networks. The common denominators in these events were that the offender was flying a multi-rotor model (MRM) and they were not an AMA member.
MRM’s are not inherently bad. The problem is that they require little skill to fly. Novices with no modeling experience can and do fly them. Since an MRM pilot doesn’t need flight instruction and they can be flown from a small area there is no incentive to join a local club or the AMA. This is reflected in our membership numbers. Less than 10% of our members list MRM or First Person View (FPV) as their interest. Most of the current MRM and FPV pilots that are AMA members are traditional modelers who have expanded into these areas not new recruits to our fold.
So if we are not seeing a large increase in membership in these areas then why is the AMA chasing people who have clearly spoken that the AMA is not for them? Like most important questions it’s a complex issue. The original decision to market to MRM and FPV modelers was made with the best intentions. The thought was the AMA would have a new stream of members to fund all of our membership programs such as flying site assistance grants, education scholarships, political outreach, etc. Now we have a much better understanding of the market and it shows that it is time to reassess our plan. Elect me and I will conduct a review of our plan and work with the Executive Council to make the needed changes.
Now let me give you some information about my background. I started modeling when I was young. I was introduced to our sport by my father and enjoyed the better part of 50 years flying with him. I’ve tried a little bit of everything, free flight, control line and radio control. An early introduction to aviation shaped my life. I choose to study Aeronautical Engineering and have a degree from the University of California. I also became a full scale pilot earning my pilot’s license at 18 and going on to have a commercial multi-engine license with instrument privileges. I have worked in the defense and space industry and have spent the last 25 years working in the airline industry.
I have served as the AMA’s District X Vice President for almost 6 years. I have made it a point to travel the district attending events and meetings with as many clubs as possible. I fly competitively. I currently fly Precision Aerobatics in the Advanced class and have attended the last 4 NATS and in 2015 finished second or as I like to call it Vice Champion :-) In fact, I am the only candidate for President that flies models on a weekly basis. I have spent 25 years working as an Engineer with a major U.S. airline and have dealt with the FAA extensively. I am the only candidate with this much experience with the FAA. I will fight on your behalf to ensure that our membership is free to pursue modeling without the FAA’s interference.
The most important thing you can do this year as a modeler is vote for the next AMA president. There are real and substantial differences between my opponents and myself. Take the time to understand these differences and be sure to vote.
Sincerely,
Lawrence Tougas
AMA 232
P.S. Remember if you want the AMA to return its focus to traditional modelers, and a President who actually flies model aircraft then I am your best choice for AMA President
Frank Tiano - Write-in
I’m just a regular guy who’s been blessed with making a living from the Hobby / Sport that I love so dearly! If you’re interested, my story is probably not far different than most of yours. I learned to fly RC in ‘72 and by 1974 was a frequent contestant in the many pattern and scale contests held up and down the East Coast.
Sometime around 1973 I started writing for Flying Models magazine, and by 1976 was doing contributing articles for many other magazines as well. I’ve been fortunate to have been published in Radio Control Modeler (RCM), Model Airplane News (MAN), Flying Models, Model Aviation, RC Report, Scale RC Modeler and Fly RC Magazine.
In 1979, I formed an alliance with House of Balsa and Robart Mfg. and we called ourselves “Sticky Group International”. Together we introduced a product called ZAP, a form of super glue, for the modeling industry. That product line still thrives today.
In the late 80’s I found myself wishing for just a little “more” from scale competitions. In 1989 I started a scale competition event, hoping to bring worldwide attention to aero modeling. My vision to this end would be called Top Gun; an invitational event supported by the industry, featuring some of the most talented builders and skilled RC pilots in the world. I’m very fortunate. Top Gun has been a phenomenal success, much to make the public aware of how exciting and fun modeling can be. Based on the success and popularity of Top Gun, I used the same formula to start other events: Florida Jets, 12 O’Clock High and Red Flag. One of these events, Florida Jets, has become one of the largest, non-competitive, jet-togethers in the world.
In addition, my company, FTE, has donated cash and prizes to many AMA-sanctioned events throughout the U.S.A. I have been instrumental in developing the AMA prize program at their annual trade show and have featured their presence at both Top Gun and Florida Jets.

Because of the experience gained in both the Hobby Business and Directing 4 huge modeling events, for almost 40 years, I believe I am more than qualified to be your new AMA President. I have been an AMA Contest Director for 28 years, an Associate VP in District 5, I am a Leader Member, an Experimental Aircraft Inspector aa well as a member of the AMA Hall of Fame. I know I have the Right Stuff to get the job done, meaning; to facilitate what the membership really wants. I feel I can be instrumental in helping to streamline some AMA procedures, cut some waste, without sacrificing service and make the organization one that people will be proud to say they are a member of. I have plans to attract more youngsters, to streamline some programs to make them palatable for more experienced members and to offer a respected voice when our “Rights” are challenged. I’m good at fixing things, and tend to surround myself with real experts in the fields I am dealing with. I do NOT claim to “Know Everything” but I sure as heck “Know” how to get those who DO Know, to work alongside me for the same goals. And for the AMA to grow in the way it should, we need that kind of leadership.
I mentioned youngsters. I strongly believe enough is not being done to show them how challenging, and rewarding, model aviation can be. I’d like to develop an event, or events, that offer young people a chance to do something with their hands, and minds, and experience the excitement of watching something they’ve created soar! I eat, breathe and sleep model airplanes and run a successful hobby related business. Let me work for You and Yours.
Our organization is “The Academy of Model AERONAUTICS”.
Bottom line, if you’re tired of samo-samo. I’m your guy!
Most Sincerely,
Frank Tiano

Eric Williams

Eric Williams

Schenectady, New York

Campaign Statement

My name is Eric Williams and I'm running for the office of AMA President. I've served as

the AMA District 2 VP for the past 5 years and was previously an AVP for Gary Fitch. In 2008,

I worked with current AMA Executive Director Dave Mathewson, assisting AMA in strategic

planning. My priorities for AMA are strengthening governmental relationships, improving

communication, developing permanent flying sites, enhancing education, and vigorously

promoting and protecting our hobby.

Model aviation has experienced its greatest challenges in just the last few years. While the

way we fly has not significantly changed, governmental oversight and rampant technical

growth has. AMA must protect our traditional categories of flight while ensuring our hobby's

future. The Special Rule for Model Aviation is paramount for our members, and remains a key

objective for AMA.

I have met with every level of government to represent model aviation. In January of 2016,

I traveled to Washington DC with other AMA officers calling on Congress. Regionally, my

district has an enviable record of defeating local laws that would have impacted club flying

sites. In my meetings with law enforcement and elected officials, the distinction between

responsible AMA members and careless UAV operators is always made abundantly clear.

We've created exceptionally positive relationships in District 2. AMA must build on this

success to ensure strong government relationships throughout the country.

Since its founding in 1936, AMA has always kept a special focus on youth, education, and

the preservation of our hobby for future generations. AMA's Education Department has

developed advanced programs, such as in STEM, to introduce model aviation to youth.

However, AMA must also create educational tools and programs our members can use to

promote their clubs. These programs would help our members introduce model aviation to the

public, with a visibly positive presence in the community.

Camp AMA is the fruition of an Aviation Camp that I proposed in 2009. Camp AMA has

encouraged many youth modelers, with several pursuing aviation careers. Most importantly,

AMA “campers” establish life-long friendships with others that enjoy model aviation. These

young people will recall their Camp experiences and go on to be model aviation ambassadors

for their lifetimes.

Communication is critical to any organization. Keeping members informed on a timely

basis is essential. So too is listening to your ideas, concerns and questions. Admittedly, AMA

can do more to be clearer and more responsive to our members! As your president, I will work

to significantly improve and increase communication at all levels.

Among my accomplishments have been improved Flying Site Disaster benefits, free trial

memberships for charitable events, lifesaving AED grants, and an upcoming free nonsanctioned

event calender for clubs. I will always have the best interests of our hobby, our

clubs, and our members in mind.

AMA's Take off And Grow grants have helped hundreds of clubs. My EC motion this year

provided additional grant funds to clubs across the country. While this progress is

encouraging, AMA must also work to establish permanent, regional flying sites, owned and

operated by local clubs. AMA can enable this through flying site acquisition grants, legal

assistance, zoning guidance, community and local government expertise, and other means.

Organizations like AMA rely on effective leadership, a shared vision, clear communication,

and meeting the needs of its members. I believe I have these qualities and ask for your vote

to lead AMA. Visit www.amaelection.com

Last edited by TimJ; 08-04-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 AM
rcmiket

I like it.

Mike
Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I like it.

Mike
If you want to vote for Frank, just remember you have to write him in when you receive your ballet. Oh, and don't forget to mail it off before the deadline.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is going to have a different standard by which to make a decision. This election has already startedt run exactly along the lines of the national political one..party lines. To use another possible term, "traditional". As I read the different posts across forums the comments can literally be lifted from the national election to the AMA one, right down to themes and even words and phrases.

Nobody is perfect, everyone has slipped up here and there, to expect perfection is unrealistic. For me, I want to weigh the pros and the cons, then consider what the missteps might have been. Equally as important, is how the person dealt with the mistake, did they own it, or did they fight it and double down. Is temperament and ability to deal with others an ongoing issue, or a one off? Those are but a few of the things I'm going to be looking for.

Another interesting thing, people don't even know for sure who is running, but they have already said they are voting for Tiano. Hey, they may know him already and think he's perfect for the job, but wouldn't it be a touch more realistic to see who else is running, and what they are running on?

I mentioned earlier I don't care how much they have donated to the AMA, to clubs, or to events in terms of money/prizes. Irrelevant for the most part for me. I didn't like that when Cain did it, and I won't like it if any of them do it going forward. That's just me though. So far his technical/building qualification are superior, his ability to run large scale events excellent, and his business accumin solid as well (owner of multiple businesses). What he's done in the past, and what is wants to do in the future is important too.

Finally, in terms of who was selected. The EC chose who they chose, however the final candidates may be. As far as I'm concerned, all of them (3) met the criteria for the position, so it would seem senseless for anyone to argue they are or are not qualified based on technical/AMA credentials. If what he has said is is true, that he was not selected as a candidate, I think he should respect that decision. The decision is made with a large group of people, not one or two sitting around the table. That some of them might have been on the committee and voted for themselves, well duh, so what! Nothing wrong with putting you hand up to assume more responsibility! This isn't some start chamber deal with 4 people sitting in a backroom cutting sweetheart deals. Who else would really be able to decide who gets to run other than the EC which don't forget includes VPs from across the country. It's not realistic to think that everyone in the world could run as a write in candidate, there has to be some limitations there. If that was the case, we might actually see Boaty McBoatface as the new president.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by init4fun
Tim , Thank You for starting this thread . I had considered doing just that this morning but didn't get to it . My reason for thinking of starting it was that I felt sad that your Amazon thread got overtaken by the Tiano subject cause the Amazon thing is a good topic in it's own right and didn't deserve to get brushed aside .

Now , as to the Frank Tiano letter , Everything he wrote looked ok to me , right till he got to the last line with the "same old same old" comment . His hobby cred is impeccable , he sure appears well spoken in his letter , and I was fine with the whole missive right up till that last thought . Why do I question that ? Well , it seems as though every candidate for anything these days somehow feels the need to push the "Hope & Change" promise as though things today are in SUCH disarray that unless drastic action is taken , the ship is sunk . Now I understand perfectly why this is , in order to unseat a sitting official one must show that things aren't great under him and they will be better if I'm elected . But in this case will they ? The AMA has recently scored what I consider the biggest victory in the last 40 years , all in the obtaining the short but oh so important 400 foot letter from the FAA . While I do have to respect Mr. Tiano's accomplishments in the hobby I am compelled to ask , just exactly what IS this "same old same old" that's "holding the AMA back" in his opinion ? Talking hope and change is one thing , explaining exactly what we're hoping to change being an entirely different matter and with that as the last thought rather than the first , there was no further elaboration of that comment forthcoming . I really WOULD like to hear exactly what it is he hopes to change ........
I'm very much in agreement with you on the highlighted sentence. Even so, I doubt that either you or I are anywhere close to being as appreciative about it as is Frank Tiano. Looking at the potential regulation threats that AMA lobbied for 336 to address, all appear to favorably impact on Tiano and his interests/enterprises more than anyone else I can think of. Certainly that was not the samo, samo he had in mind. I too want to hear just what it is he will change if elected.

btw, has the short list of candidates been made public yet? I have seen reports that 2 of them serving on the nomination committee nominated themselves. Unconfirmed, but if so it doesn't help change the GOB image the AMA management has earned.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I'm very much in agreement with you on the highlighted sentence. Even so, I doubt that either you or I are anywhere close to being as appreciative about it as is Frank Tiano. Looking at the potential regulation threats that AMA lobbied for 336 to address, all appear to favorably impact on Tiano and his interests/enterprises more than anyone else I can think of. Certainly that was not the samo, samo he had in mind. I too want to hear just what it is he will change if elected.

btw, has the short list of candidates been made public yet? I have seen reports that 2 of them serving on the nomination committee nominated themselves. Unconfirmed, but if so it doesn't help change the GOB image the AMA management has earned.
No, officially the list wasn't made public yet, but that didn't stop some on the EC from sharing the closed session info with others and letting it leak out, slowly. Good for the rumor mill though.

As for the AMA image, well, that's in the eye of the beholder isn't it? Some have held the GOB image of them from the start, and held tightly on it ever since. Curious as to what they have done themselves to improve that image.

Also curious, for all those folks who have such an issue with the EC nominating people...exactly who else should be doing that? Should someone on the EC be precluded from nominating themselves to run? Seems a ludicrous thought....don't we want people to get more involved. Is it more appropriate to have someone else nominate them? A silly formality. And who better to know what those people are capable off than those on the EC that have worked with them?

Is the alternative to have a massive unlimited write in campaign that might actually result in Boaty McBoatface winning?
Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I have seen reports that 2 of them serving on the nomination committee nominated themselves. Unconfirmed, but if so it doesn't help change the GOB image the AMA management has earned.
Spend some time reading, understanding, and learning the by-laws of non-profits, many have nominating committees and operate this way so it's SOP. Even some smallish clubs operate this way as well.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:49 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by init4fun
.......Talking hope and change is one thing , explaining exactly what we're hoping to change being an entirely different matter and with that as the last thought rather than the first , there was no further elaboration of that comment forthcoming . I really WOULD like to hear exactly what it is he hopes to change ........
Init, perhaps this item lifted from Frank's page will at least partly address your questions.

Wow, sometimes it's so tough to convey my thoughts. It's like I know what I am thinking but the thoughts do not transform into the proper words! The REASONS I sought to be president were MULTIPLE. For Example;
1- I'd like to streamline the Large Scale Airplane program so that pilots don't have to sign up every year for the same airplane they have been flying for the past 12 months. Just creates paper work and unreasonable expense, for everyone.
2- One person alone CANNOT father a program for youth without an audience! I'm am SO surprised you don't recognize that Jay. The Prez. has a magazine column with 100,000 viewers, a considerable presence at Trade Shows and a mile high Soap Box! To get a youth program going you need the entire AMA behind you. Right now, they have ZERO!
3- I'd like to see more insurance coverage made available, for those who run events and are WILLING to PAY for the premium.
4- I'd lilke to see Event SPONSORS names allowed to be added to the Additional Insured List. They are NOT allowed currently.
5- I'd like to see more "teeth" into how a person flying dangerously is reprimanded.
6- I'd like to see a severe separation in applicable rules" between DRONES and Model AIRCRAFT!
7- I'd lke to see the AMA cater to fixed wing pilots to the SAME Degree as they curently do to Drone operators, thousands of who, by the way, have blatently said they have no USE for the AMA's rules or procedures!
Must I go on? How about this? I wanted to be President to be instrumental in EVERYTHING that needs to be done and HAS NOT BEEN! I know the president cannot do it by himself, but the proper leader, who knows WHAT HE's DOING, can be mighty helpful in leading the way. Of course I have an Ego. Most people that are successful in what they do KNOW they are successful. I've been doing this hobby thing for more years that most of the members are old, and I paid attention along the way, made lots of mistakes, and made some really good moves as well. I thought I was QUALIFIED for the position. The board thought differently and voted in their own.
End of story. Hopefully this response may answer at least some of your questions
Old 07-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Also curious, for all those folks who have such an issue with the EC nominating people...exactly who else should be doing that?
Is that a trick question? Of course all the nominating committee should be a few random posters from a public Internet forum based on sweat cred, I mean post count.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:57 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Is that a trick question? Of course all the nominating committee should be a few random posters from a public Internet forum based on sweat cred, I mean post count.
My bad. If I recall correctly, wasn't something said last year by a member about the value of their planes too, ie how much it cost?
Old 07-28-2016, 12:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Init, perhaps this item lifted from Frank's page will at least partly address your questions.
Nope, not from Frank's page. It's someone posting on his behalf, admin from Giant Scale News I believe (who curiously has thrown their endorsement to him before noting who the other candidates were).

Why isn't Frank posting his own information and announcing his candidacy?

It is some more information, but seems to geared towards things that will benefit HIM...and a small segment of the hobby.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

My bad. If I recall correctly, wasn't something said last year by a member about the value of their planes too, ie how much it cost?
I vaguely remember something about that. Was it list price or street price?
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

I vaguely remember something about that. Was it list price or street price?
List price with value added for street cred. I know it was a CA dude, and it might have even been a turbine pilot too. Either 10 or 15k was noted. I wouldn't have the nerve to fly something that expensive, I admit it. Barely have cars worth that much lol!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM
TimJ

Nope, not from Frank's page. It's someone posting on his behalf, admin from Giant Scale News I believe (who curiously has thrown their endorsement to him before noting who the other candidates were).

Why isn't Frank posting his own information and announcing his candidacy?

It is some more information, but seems to geared towards things that will benefit HIM...and a small segment of the hobby.
NO. and NO.

What CJ posted is posted directly on Frank's personal facbook page.

You keep claiming this bull**** about only benefiting him. Someone else in this thread said the same thing about the 400 foot rubbish.

Both are wrong from what I know. Clearing up the 400 foot deal helps the whole industry, including companies such as Global Jet Club, Soaring USA, Horizon, Hobby People. The list can go on and on. The hobby as a whole benefits from it.

So try again folks.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I can't help but notice how his campaign statement says so little about what he plans to do if elected president. His whole first paragraph is nothing more than how he earned a living the past several decades. While it's good to see his been successful financially in the hobby it says nothing about the challenges the AMA is facing nor how he plans to address them.

With all the focus on his hobby related business ventures in his campaign statement me thinks his only reason for running is to protect and grow his vested financial interests as well as those of other associates in the hobby industry.

We need someone who can lead people and run the AMA focusing on the membership and model aviation, not their vested financial interests.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM
TimJ

With all the focus on his hobby related business ventures in his campaign statement me thinks his only reason for running is to protect and grow his vested financial interests as well as those of other associates in the hobby industry.

We need someone who can lead people and run the AMA focusing on the membership and model aviation, not their vested financial interests.
Show us where Frank is only thinking of himself? This is complete bull****. Come up with something better than this.

Below are things Frank has talked about out loud. Have fun attacking this stuff instead of some BS conspiracy that Frank is only thinking of himself and not the industry as a whole.
Wow, sometimes it's so tough to convey my thoughts. It's like I know what I am thinking but the thoughts do not transform into the proper words! The REASONS I sought to be president were MULTIPLE. For Example;
1- I'd like to streamline the Large Scale Airplane program so that pilots don't have to sign up every year for the same airplane they have been flying for the past 12 months. Just creates paper work and unreasonable expense, for everyone.
2- One person alone CANNOT father a program for youth without an audience! I'm am SO surprised you don't recognize that Jay. The Prez. has a magazine column with 100,000 viewers, a considerable presence at Trade Shows and a mile high Soap Box! To get a youth program going you need the entire AMA behind you. Right now, they have ZERO!
3- I'd like to see more insurance coverage made available, for those who run events and are WILLING to PAY for the premium.
4- I'd lilke to see Event SPONSORS names allowed to be added to the Additional Insured List. They are NOT allowed currently.
5- I'd like to see more "teeth" into how a person flying dangerously is reprimanded.
6- I'd like to see a severe separation in applicable rules" between DRONES and Model AIRCRAFT!
7- I'd lke to see the AMA cater to fixed wing pilots to the SAME Degree as they curently do to Drone operators, thousands of who, by the way, have blatently said they have no USE for the AMA's rules or procedures!
Must I go on? How about this? I wanted to be President to be instrumental in EVERYTHING that needs to be done and HAS NOT BEEN! I know the president cannot do it by himself, but the proper leader, who knows WHAT HE's DOING, can be mighty helpful in leading the way. Of course I have an Ego. Most people that are successful in what they do KNOW they are successful. I've been doing this hobby thing for more years that most of the members are old, and I paid attention along the way, made lots of mistakes, and made some really good moves as well. I thought I was QUALIFIED for the position. The board thought differently and voted in their own.
End of story. Hopefully this response may answer at least some of your questions
Old 07-28-2016, 12:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

1- I'd like to streamline the Large Scale Airplane program so that pilots don't have to sign up every year for the same airplane they have been flying for the past 12 months. Just creates paper work and unreasonable expense, for everyone. So benefits and changes for one small segment of the hobby, one that he is almost exclusively involved in. Conflict?
2- One person alone CANNOT father a program for youth without an audience! I'm am SO surprised you don't recognize that Jay. (hmm...who is Jay?) The Prez. has a magazine column with 100,000 viewers, a considerable presence at Trade Shows and a mile high Soap Box! To get a youth program going you need the entire AMA behind you. Right now, they have ZERO! (Warning bells screaming full blare now. This guy wants to run the AMA and doesn't realize that not only does the AMA have a youth program, they have umm...multiple programs?) That is a not good right there.
3- I'd like to see more insurance coverage made available, for those who run events and are WILLING to PAY for the premium. So, more additional perks that benefit HIM, and a small minority of members. Of course he didn't get specific there, does he mean CD's, vendors, helpers, who exactly. Not commercial vendors right?
4- I'd lilke to see Event SPONSORS names allowed to be added to the Additional Insured List. They are NOT allowed currently. Ah...well, sponsors, ie vendors. Of which his company/companies are? So another perk that benefits him? These are commercial companies that already have multiple layers of coverage, why do they need more? And for that matter, is something happening that is of concern that multiple layers of millions in coverage isn't already enough? Safety concerns? Franklin might need to see that.
5- I'd like to see more "teeth" into how a person flying dangerously is reprimanded. Now we're talking, but no specifics, just generalities. Give me something more. Define "dangerous". Does that mean intentional, or accidental. Oh, does this mean at giant scale events, or for everyday operation at fields. What specifically are the "teeth". Any warnings allowed, or go right to...well, I'm not sure what to go to. No details there. Also, and most importantly, has he applied this when he ran his own events, and when he was a district AVP. If so, what specifically did he do, and was it effective.
6- I'd like to see a severe separation in applicable rules" between DRONES and Model AIRCRAFT! Where to even start on that one. That ship has sailed. This is just a blatant call out to the anti drone folks. Once again, not one tiny bit of specifics, just an impossible hope/dream. The past is gone, time to move on.
7- I'd lke to see the AMA cater to fixed wing pilots to the SAME Degree as they curently do to Drone operators, thousands of who, by the way, have blatently said they have no USE for the AMA's rules or procedures! Air horns blowing. The true motive here, or perhaps the big one. Drones. Drones=Bad. AMA has catered to drones, seriously LOL. I wonder if he felt the same when when giant scale and turbine jets were welcomed into the fold. Somehow, I doubt it. And worse yet, he's speaking as if he has spoken to thousands of drone users. This is the same guy who had no idea what 3D flying was all about? And he wants to run the AMA?
Must I go on? How about this? I wanted to be President to be instrumental in EVERYTHING that needs to be done and HAS NOT BEEN! (great, like what specifically, details please) I know the president cannot do it by himself, but the proper leader, who knows WHAT HE's DOING, can be mighty helpful in leading the way. Of course I have an Ego. (o/k, more warning bells there. Do you lead, or command? Big difference. There is an Executive committee...it multiple people) Most people that are successful in what they do KNOW they are successful. I've been doing this hobby thing for more years that most of the members are old, and I paid attention along the way, made lots of mistakes, and made some really good moves as well. I thought I was QUALIFIED for the position. The board thought differently and voted in their own. (another warning bell. Stop with the complaints and slights and laying the groundwork to complain when you don't win. Horrace did that too, didn't work out so well for him)
End of story. Hopefully this response may answer at least some of your questions Not really, it frankly opens up a whole can of worms.

Some additional questions that would be good to have an answer to.

1: You were an AVP for 5 years. At some point you no longer were, why? What happened there?

2. While you were an AVP, what did you do specifically to promote the hobby. I'd like specifics too if possible, ones that don't involved only those things having to do with your companies or giant scale events. Did you visit and help clubs? Did you actively search out possible Leader Members? Did you always agree with your VP, and if not, how did you handle that?

3. If you are elected, do you realize that you will be leading a large team of people from diverse backgrounds, who will not always see things the same way. If this group is not in agreement with how you want to lead, or decision you want to make, how are you going to deal with this?

4. Speaking of diversity...I know, a third rail topic that oddly doesn't get brought up.....have you noticed anything in particular about the current EC? As I look at that group, and even go to the MA magazine and see the authors who attach pics to their columns, I think a certain "profile" can be noticed. I'll note I don't know every columnist, but of those I've seen in the past year, they pretty much fit the same profile. I know this will be a sore subject for some, but really, they will just have to deal. I'd like to know if it's something he ever thought of, and if so, what specific plans or ideas does he have to really try to attract a broad spectrum of members that we don't current see either in the EC, and possibly the membership as a whole.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
NO. and NO.

You keep claiming this bull**** about only benefiting him. Someone else in this thread said the same thing about the 400 foot rubbish.

Both are wrong from what I know. Clearing up the 400 foot deal helps the whole industry, including companies such as Global Jet Club, Soaring USA, Horizon, Hobby People. The list can go on and on. The hobby as a whole benefits from it.

So try again folks.
Struck a nerve there? Touchy touchy. I like how you quality your statement though...."from what I know". Uh huh. Profanity and I'm sure name calling won't be far behind, but I hope not. It is possible to hash an issue out isn't it?

I looked on his website, didn't see anything in the past week about this directly from him. I'm more than happy to admit if I made a mistake on that, or just didn't read it right. Not a Facebook fan, don't use it, but I saw one Facebook link and it didn't look like his. If you have a source and can link it here, I'll do a double mea culpa. I would link to what I saw, but honestly I think it's actually blocked here by filters. At least it was in PM form.

Not sure what rubbish you're talking about regarding 400 foot only benefiting Frank. That's a new one on me, but again, a link would be helpful.

You're already setting this discussion up at some kind of competition or battle ground. Relax, it's a discussion that will involved opinions. nobody is going to be more right or wrong than the other.

Sure, what benefits GIANT SCALE TURBINES at GIANT SCALE EVENTS run by Frank and his companies and vendor affiliates I guess could benefit the hobby, and I guess the AMA too. If you don't see any potential conflict or issues there, well, o/k.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Show us where Frank is only thinking of himself? This is complete bull****. Come up with something better than this.

Below are things Frank has talked about out loud. Have fun attacking this stuff instead of some BS conspiracy that Frank is only thinking of himself and not the industry as a whole.

What percentage of the AMA membership does this actually benefit?

What is he planning to do here? Zero specifics given.

How does this benefit the AMA membership? Does Frank run events personally or through his business? Me thinks these are business endeavors.

Again, it's all about protecting business interests while having the membership pay for it. Yeah!

Again, talk is cheap, no specifics given.

Again, zero specifics. The FAA makes no distinction between drones and model aircraft.

Again, no specifics given. How is the AMA catering to drone operators? Fixed wing pilots? Does he even know there are rotary wing pilots in the AMA?

Must I go on?

Please do. Another half-baked attempt attempt isn't helping your case.

How about this? I wanted to be President to be instrumental in EVERYTHING that needs to be done and HAS NOT BEEN!

What do you feel is not getting done that need to get done? An explanation would be very helpful.

I know the president cannot do it by himself, but the proper leader, who knows WHAT HE's DOING, can be mighty helpful in leading the way.

A good lead doesn't know everything, but he knows how to learn.

Of course I have an Ego.

Exactly what we don't need.

Most people that are successful in what they do KNOW they are successful. I've been doing this hobby thing for more years that most of the members are old, and I paid attention along the way, made lots of mistakes, and made some really good moves as well.

Kind of a big difference between leading an organization and retail....

I thought I was QUALIFIED for the position.

You thought wrong.

The board thought differently and voted in their own.

I can't fault them.

End of story.

The story was over a long ago.

Hopefully this response may answer at least some of your questions

It doesn't answer much, if anything.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

To get a youth program going you need the entire AMA behind you. Right now, they have ZERO! (Warning bells screaming full blare now. This guy wants to run the AMA and doesn't realize that not only does the AMA have a youth program, they have umm...multiple programs?) That is a not good right there.
Maybe he's planning to force everyone to use Zap for the delta darts program.... You know, presidential decision to use his own products.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

See above in response to your first question. Keep in mind, it's an OPINION. ymmv, it happens.

Well again, I think there is a genuine question on the floor about him "talking out loud". I've yet to see an official statement from him, by him. So far, only links from his supporters. I find that odd, but that's just me. And once again, it looks like you are setting up any dissension from your thoughts and opinions as an attack. Stop making it so personal. Do you not think that the other candidates are going to be questioned as well, and hopefully as thoroughly? This is a very important decision we're going to be asked to make, I want my vote to count but ultimately I want the best person in there. I've got no dog in this race (I missed nominating myself lol). If it ends up being Frank, great, the people have spoken and we should continue (well, some of us) to do what we can to promote the hobby and make the AMA work hard on our behalf. I would feel the same if it had been Horrace or even you if you were elected. That's the way elections work (well, most of 'em).
Old 07-28-2016, 01:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Maybe he's planning to force everyone to use Zap for the delta darts program.... You know, presidential decision to use his own products.
Now you're crossing the line...I loves me some ZAP ! All those products are great, US made too if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:15 PM
porcia83
Banned

NO. and NO.

So try again folks.
O/K, lets go in another direction. Forget his campaign statement (wherever it might have come from). Forget what he wrote, and my specific responses. You're going to discount them completely I think it's fair to say. But...how about these questions, do you think they are fair to ask of someone running for this office? Granted some might not have been AVPs, but you get the gist.

1: You were an AVP for 5 years. At some point you no longer were, why? What happened there?

2. While you were an AVP, what did you do specifically to promote the hobby. I'd like specifics too if possible, ones that don't involved only those things having to do with your companies or giant scale events. Did you visit and help clubs? Did you actively search out possible Leader Members? Did you always agree with your VP, and if not, how did you handle that?

3. If you are elected, do you realize that you will be leading a large team of people from diverse backgrounds, who will not always see things the same way. If this group is not in agreement with how you want to lead, or decision you want to make, how are you going to deal with this?

4. Speaking of diversity...I know, a third rail topic that oddly doesn't get brought up.....have you noticed anything in particular about the current EC? As I look at that group, and even go to the MA magazine and see the authors who attach pics to their columns, I think a certain "profile" can be noticed. I'll note I don't know every columnist, but of those I've seen in the past year, they pretty much fit the same profile. I know this will be a sore subject for some, but really, they will just have to deal. I'd like to know if it's something he ever thought of, and if so, what specific plans or ideas does he have to really try to attract a broad spectrum of members that we don't current see either in the EC, and possibly the membership as a whole

EDIT to add...I'll be asking this of all the candidates, without the AVP questions if not applicable.

Last edited by porcia83; 07-28-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.