Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimJ
One guy whom doesn't seem to fly or at least doesn't seem to fly at controlled fields has an issue with safety? I can't help but wonder if said person is only here to post for sport or looking for attention. Not sure which. He/She seems like a rebel without focus or ability, against model aviation as a whole. Most like that will fade away over time unless there is some sort of mental dysfunction or true conscience decision making to upset model aviation as a whole. Hints may be his feeling for voting for Frank is appealing to him? My apologies in advance if I've misjudged the situation.
Who knows anymore. I doubt the feelings will fade, it's been pretty strong in one direction for at least 10 years, even more so the past few after not being "heard" by the AMA.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Here is the FB page for Laurence Tougas, who announced in May that he would be running. His opinion on MR/Drones is quite clear, as is his discussion about "traditional" modeling. I would have thought that would be enough for the "Traditional" modelers to throw their vote to him, but I guess not. Not much in terms of specific actions he will take in dealing with the most important issue of the times, dealing with the feds. Just more generic "i'll look at the plan" and see what needs to get done. Hello...you've been a District VP for how many years now....if anyone knows what's been going on it's YOU! I like that he plays up the fact that he visits club and actively flies, big marks off for commenting that he is the only one flying each week. A bizzare tidbit that's unable to be validated, and sorta presumptuous.

He seems to fit all of the criteria for the job. I might not agree with everything he says, but kudos for his service to date, and even more so for wanting to assume more responsibility.

https://www.facebook.com/tougas4pres...30956167085721
Old 08-01-2016, 11:47 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a surprise! The GOBs need somebody to fill the 3rd slot in the nominating committee quota to keep Tiano off the ballot.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

This has been discussed publicly so I don't think I'm releasing anything out of turn.

The candidates on the ballot for AMA president are

Eric Williams - District II Vice President
Lawrence Tougas - District X Vice President
Rich Hanson - Government Affairs consultant
Old 08-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Tepid Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Per a post from another party that allegedly came from Frank, he merely noted that he wasn't selected. He certainly met the technical criteria that was noted by the EC. So probably the EC had selected three people that for whatever reasons they felt were more qualified. Two of the three announced they were running (one back in May), I would assume the AMA will be officially releasing their names shortly. Ballots due in Sept I believe.
Thank you for the civilized response.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 08-01-2016, 12:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
What a surprise! The GOBs need somebody to fill the 3rd slot in the nominating committee quota to keep Tiano off the ballot.
What a shocker, you don't agree with something the EC did!

I've yet to hear from those complaining (yet again) how or why someone on the EC shouldn't be able to put their hand in the air and run for office. Who exactly should be on the nominating committee. Should anyone be able to run, unlimited candidates? The usual complaints, after the fact, but no useful suggestions or alternatives presented.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:26 PM
TimJ

Here is the FB page for Laurence Tougas, who announced in May that he would be running. His opinion on MR/Drones is quite clear, as is his discussion about "traditional" modeling. I would have thought that would be enough for the "Traditional" modelers to throw their vote to him, but I guess not. Not much in terms of specific actions he will take in dealing with the most important issue of the times, dealing with the feds. Just more generic "i'll look at the plan" and see what needs to get done. Hello...you've been a District VP for how many years now....if anyone knows what's been going on it's YOU! I like that he plays up the fact that he visits club and actively flies, big marks off for commenting that he is the only one flying each week. A bizzare tidbit that's unable to be validated, and sorta presumptuous.

He seems to fit all of the criteria for the job. I might not agree with everything he says, but kudos for his service to date, and even more so for wanting to assume more responsibility.

https://www.facebook.com/tougas4pres...30956167085721
Please don't ask me to comment on this.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:40 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot
Why?

TP
AMA 59376
A reason was never given. Which I find odd considering that Frank qualified in the past to run for AMA President, of which Frank ultimately lost.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

I knew enough NOT to!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:15 PM
jetmaven

Thanks Barracuda , were I to vote today it would be for Rich Hanson , the Government affairs guy .
We don't anyone sitting in the Presidents seat with an ill temper, or a short fuse .
Most of the time an " establishment " person will do just fine .
Old 08-01-2016, 01:16 PM
cj_rumley

Roger that, and WILCO.

Just a somewhat related anecdotal event comes to mind.....
While running for D-X Laurence was the subject of a demeaning, protracted anti-campaign in this very forum, similar to what is currently been directed at Frank T. by a (very) small minority. As you well know, he won the election.
Deja vu
Old 08-01-2016, 01:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

Roger that, and WILCO.

While running for D-X Laurence was the subject of a demeaning, protracted anti-campaign in this very forum, similar to what is currently been directed at Frank T. by a (very) small minority. As you well know, he won the election.
Deja vu
Truth hurts sometimes...facts are facts. Folks can bury their heads in the sand and stick their fingers in their ears, it doesn't negate what is there for the reading. You'll note the "very" small minority hasn't started attacking those ardent Tiano defenders. It's all about getting the information out there for all to see.

Sure would clear a lot of questions up to hear from the candidates though...not their proxies via a whisper/grassroots campaign. I'll be asking all of them the same questions. I'd rather have all the info at my disposal rather than pick someone on one simple issue.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Roger that, and WILCO.

Deja vu
I've often said, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Did you vote for Tougas at the and help secure his victory. He certainly has a very anti-drone platform already.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

Roger that, and WILCO.

Deja vu
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...ml#post9049091

Interesting discussion from 7 years ago.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:46 PM
rcmiket

Anyone know just what happened and why Franks not on the ballot? I've contacted Harville looking for more info on what transpired and am awaiting a response.

Mike
Old 08-01-2016, 01:50 PM
cj_rumley

I've often said, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Did you vote for Tougas at the and help secure his victory. He certainly has a very anti-drone platform already.
Yes, I did vote for Tougas. I liked the other guy also, so it was a toss up.

I'm not going to vote against anyone in this race. I will be doing that when I vote for POTUS.

Hanson is the obvious choice of the GOB's, but I won't hold that against him, I think he's a good man. It's pro forma to have others on the ballot, pseudo democracy and all that, so they had to name some also-rans as well.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:57 PM
rcmiket

Interesting, this is from Tougas's FB page (a re post from Tim J. I'm posting it due to the fact that I along with others have been saying just this since we ( the AMA) started chasing the "droners" thinking we would get a influx of new members. According to him it ain't happening.
Now is it fact or just BS to get the "traditional modeler" vote?

"Since an MRM pilot doesn’t need flight instruction and they can be flown from a small area there is no incentive to join a local club or the AMA. This is reflected in our membership numbers. Less than 10% of our members list MRM or First Person View (FPV) as their interest. Most of the current MRM and FPV pilots that are AMA members are traditional modelers who have expanded into these areas not new recruits to our fold. So if we are not seeing a large increase in membership in these areas then why is the AMA chasing people who have clearly spoken that the AMA is not for them? Like most important questions it’s a complex issue. The original decision to market to MRM and FPV modelers was made with the best intentions. The thought was the AMA would have a new stream of members to fund all of our membership programs such as flying site assistance grants, education scholarships, political outreach, etc. Now we have a much better understanding of the market and it shows that it is time to reassess our plan. Elect me and I will conduct a review of our plan and work with the Executive Council to make the needed changes."

Mike
Old 08-01-2016, 02:26 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
?

"Since an MRM pilot doesn’t need flight instruction and they can be flown from a small area there is no incentive to join a local club or the AMA. This is reflected in our membership numbers. Less than 10% of our members list MRM or First Person View (FPV) as their interest. Most of the current MRM and FPV pilots that are AMA members are traditional modelers who have expanded into these areas not new recruits to our fold. So if we are not seeing a large increase in membership in these areas then why is the AMA chasing people who have clearly spoken that the AMA is not for them? Like most important questions it’s a complex issue. The original decision to market to MRM and FPV modelers was made with the best intentions. The thought was the AMA would have a new stream of members to fund all of our membership programs such as flying site assistance grants, education scholarships, political outreach, etc. Now we have a much better understanding of the market and it shows that it is time to reassess our plan. Elect me and I will conduct a review of our plan and work with the Executive Council to make the needed changes."

Yep that is basically it.....all good intentions

"Park Pilot Program" redux
Old 08-01-2016, 03:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Yes, I did vote for Tougas. I liked the other guy also, so it was a toss up.

I'm not going to vote against anyone in this race. I will be doing that when I vote for POTUS.

Hanson is the obvious choice of the GOB's, but I won't hold that against him, I think he's a good man. It's pro forma to have others on the ballot, pseudo democracy and all that, so they had to name some also-rans as well.
That election seemed incredibly close! At least from the thread, Tougas handled himself well, answered the questions as best he could, and equally as important was dignified in noting what the outcome was, a real class act. Goes to show too how nothing is ever written in stone and if he had gone off the deep end with complaints and conspiracy theories it might have come back to haunt him this time around.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Interesting, this is from Tougas's FB page (a re post from Tim J. I'm posting it due to the fact that I along with others have been saying just this since we ( the AMA) started chasing the "droners" thinking we would get a influx of new members. According to him it ain't happening.
Now is it fact or just BS to get the "traditional modeler" vote?

(snip)

Mike
I would say it's a bit of both actually. Actually the closer it's read,the closer it looks and smells like pure BS, a blatant play really for the "traditional" folks. His use of the stat that "less than 10% list MR as their interest" is pretty vague, but lets take that number at face value and apply it to the membership numbers. 180,000 by 10%....18,000...knock of 2,000 just because, and your at 16,000 people. His own stat....16,000. Oh, and lets not forget the whole percentage of people who respond to surveys in the first place right? 5%, maybe 10%.

So on one hand he says about 16,000 list MR as their interest....but goes right on to say "so we are not seeing a large increase in membership in this area...." Err...wait, wha? Which is it, one or the other. we already know about 700 joined just this year along with the Best Buy program. That seems to have been left out of his discussion.

And oh, both he and Tiano have given vague general answers as to what they will do, sort of like "we'll make us strong again, we'll build a wall, just don't ask how, believe me, we'll do it". Anyone who thinks anything they are going to do will change anything the FAA has already done is absolutely insane. There is no turning back the clock. There is no do over. Whats done is done, and what's been done isn't that big of a deal (registration). Reassess our plan...really, like how? Specifically. And how ill this right the ship?

And oh, let's not forget the position isn't a dictatorship...he'll have to work with ALL of the EC members.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-01-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Yep that is basically it.....all good intentions

"Park Pilot Program" redux
If only all the attention and programs could be directed to guys who build 10 and $15,000 airplanes. Serious, well intentioned traditional modelers.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:18 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
This has been discussed publicly so I don't think I'm releasing anything out of turn.

The candidates on the ballot for AMA president are

Eric Williams - District II Vice President
Lawrence Tougas - District X Vice President
Rich Hanson - Government Affairs consultant
damn, i was hopeful that there would be at least one running i could believe was actually qualified to be president. gonna be another case of hold the nose and vote for the least offensive one on/or off the ballot.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:22 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Thank You Andy .

So , with this being the final list (the AMA does not count "write ins" , am I correct ?) the Frank Tiano candidacy would appear a dead issue ? Even if write ins were counted , I wonder , would enough folks ever write in someone whose been considered and declined by the nominating process ? I do know if I had to go on name recognition and someone whose personally treated me fine in any on line conversations I've had to date I'd have to go with Rich Hanson . I mean this as no slam against either of the other two candidates , I do not know them and I do know that the right way will be to examine the campaign statements and past performance/accomplishments of all three candidates and not to just automatically pick Rich cause he's the name I most recognize .
a decade or 2 ago, Horace Cain won a write in campaign for DVP, course he was the incumbent in that election as well.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.