Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA (AMA) Irony - Misplaced Priorities

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA (AMA) Irony - Misplaced Priorities

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Tepid Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA (AMA) Irony - Misplaced Priorities

The FAA, with the full capitulation - oops - I mean cooperation of AMA, chose to require model flight enthusiasts to acquire a "license" in order for us to "legally" operate.

Meantime, a few miles from our home, a hot air balloon hit some high tension power lines The propane exploded and slaughtered 15 innocents along with a very reckless operator. Worst hot air balloon accident in US history.

According to various news sources the NTSB had requested, some two years ago, that the FAA increase inspection and regulation of the hot air balloon tourist industry due to risk factors. The FAA declined, said "very low risk," you can look it up.

Talk about misplaced priorities.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot
The FAA, with the full capitulation - oops - I mean cooperation of AMA, chose to require model flight enthusiasts to acquire a "license" in order for us to "legally" operate.

Meantime, a few miles from our home, a hot air balloon hit some high tension power lines The propane exploded and slaughtered 15 innocents along with a very reckless operator. Worst hot air balloon accident in US history.

According to various news sources the NTSB had requested, some two years ago, that the FAA increase inspection and regulation of the hot air balloon tourist industry due to risk factors. The FAA declined, said "very low risk," you can look it up.

TP
AMA 59376

Sorry but you are sadly mistake. There is not a license requirement for you to fly a model aircraft for hobby pleasure.

However, if you choose to fly a sUAS (model aircraft) for financial gain, you must follow part 107 and pass a test.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Tepid Pilot

TimJ - You funny dude. Suggest you get hip to the cogitation.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 AM
TimJ

TimJ - You funny dude. Suggest you get hip to the cogitation.

TP
AMA 59376
I suggest that you inform yourself before suggesting something that is false.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TP
AMA 59376
Talk about misplaced priorities. What a ghoulish attempt to juxtapose two completely issues (one involving horrific loss of life), to try to make some kind of point about the AMA.

Horrifically insensitive.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Tepid Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Talk about misplaced priorities. What a ghoulish attempt to juxtapose two completely issues (one involving horrific loss of life), to try to make some kind of point about the AMA.

Horrifically insensitive.
My apologies. The point I was trying to make is only about FAA over-regulation regarding model aviation. Apparently I failed miserably.

What I'm asking, is why the FAA is so concerned about activities that have proven to be harmless and so unconcerned about activities that can be destructive of human life.

Sorry you missed the point, sorry I was unclear.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Tepid Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
I suggest that you inform yourself before suggesting something that is false.
Same here.

TP
Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 AM
TimJ

My apologies. The point I was trying to make is only about FAA over-regulation regarding model aviation. Apparently I failed miserably.

What I'm asking, is why the FAA is so concerned about activities that have proven to be harmless and so unconcerned about activities that can be destructive of human life.

TP
AMA 59376
Now I better understand what you are trying to do and say here.

And again, I will inform you that NO license is required to fly aircraft of model aviation for pleasure.

As for the hot air balloon, I could also include ultra-lite aircraft to your comparison. Two major reasons the FAA has us on the radar. One, the amount of news coverage of multi-rotor aircraft and tax revenue potential created by commercial enterprise such as Amazon, DHL and others. Amazon is spending big money to receive the ability to use 0 to 400 feet for delivery drones or sUAS devices.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by init4fun
I'll bet he is referring to the FAA Registration which at present is just that , a registration as no knowledge test comes along with it (yet) .
Good Point.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

TP
AMA 59376
I missed the point because it wasn't clear, and remains unclear. You're still comparing one thing as if it has to do in any way with the other, all the while taking a shot at the AMA. While the AMA may deserve some knocks here and there....this one is so far off base, and more contemptible because of the scenario. Shameful.

Did you know that there are already federal guidelines in place in order to pilot a balloon such as this? Clearly the FAA felt it was important to have these. See Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regs for further clarification. Average time to complete the requirements that this balloon pilot would have needed is about 14 months.

Feel free to post up the corresponding "license" that "model enthusiasts" are now "required" to hold in order to "legally" operate (whatever that means) thanks of course to the "full capitulation" of the AMA. If you are so inclined, post up the links to for those licenses needed for both classes of aircraft, .55 ounces and above.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'll bet he is referring to the FAA Registration which at present is just that , a registration as no knowledge test comes along with it (yet) .
Probably, but he specified license, and was noting NTSB in his discussions so it's safe to presume he knows the difference.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:59 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Probably, but he specified license, and was noting NTSB in his discussions so it's safe to presume he knows the difference.
Remember that "assume" can be broken down into "ass" out of "u" and "me". He obviously has no idea of the difference because he continued to spout that ridiculous nonsense.

To repeat for the umpteenth time, the FAA by Congressional order has required that aircraft be registered for many, many years. Hobbyists have not been exempted from that requirement, we have merely been ignored mostly due to not knowing how to fairly treat the fact that many hobbyists have multiple airplanes and requiring each to be registered would be very expensive. Thanks to few a-holes who refused to follow some simple flying guidelines, Congress insisted that our toys be registered so that if someone actually damages a full scale aircraft then he can be dealt with. To reduce the cost to us hobbyists the FAA decided that a single registration number could be used on all RC models owned by one person.

Now can we stop the s--t about licensing?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Tepid Pilot

Gosh, talk about your good times. Thanks for missing my actual point and setting me straight. Never should have brought AMA into discussion. Sorry to have used the term "licensing" when I should have said "registering." My mistake. Whatever. Still seems to me as though FAA has misplaced priorities, however.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 08-01-2016, 12:35 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Tepid Pilot

I am curious what priorities you would have the FAA place on what or whom ? I do not ask this to bait you for an answer to jump on , I would like to know what priorities you feel are out of order and how you would prioritize things instead ?
IMO the safety and regulation of airborne vehicles that carry persons should be top priority.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 08-01-2016, 02:11 PM
cj_rumley

IMO the safety and regulation of airborne vehicles that carry persons should be top priority.

TP
AMA 59376
I fully agree with you, TP. Who do you think should have the last say on what is safe in the NAS, FAA or AMA?
Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Silent-AV8R

TP
AMA 59376
The FAA agrees with you and this is the prime reason they have become so concerned about "drones". In addition, the FAA follows the NTSB recommendations most of the time:

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets...m?newsId=11186

And let's not forget that it was the NTSB that affirmed that model airplanes are in fact "aircraft" for the sake of regulation. FAA took that to heart!!
Old 08-01-2016, 02:51 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:59 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I fully agree with you, TP. Who do you think should have the last say on what is safe in the NAS, FAA or AMA?
That's an easy one, the same ones who will always have a say in that, congress. The FAA will then enforce that.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:27 PM
cj_rumley

That's an easy one, the same ones who will always have a say in that, congress. The FAA will then enforce that.
Now that's scary
Old 08-01-2016, 05:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Now that's scary
Can't disagree totally...but then again, who else should be doing this? Please don't say that the feds, nor congress should have a say in the NAS, or that we should left to our own devices. Please?
Old 08-01-2016, 05:43 PM
cj_rumley

Can't disagree totally...but then again, who else should be doing this? Please don't say that the feds, nor congress should have a say in the NAS, or that we should left to our own devices. Please?
If you meant to say "Please don't say that neither the feds, nor congress should have a say in the NAS, or that we should left to our own devices. Please?" then okay, I wont.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.