Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 09:59 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

It is time for a change.
The AMA has strayed from its mission.
We must return the AMA’s focus back to traditional modelers.

These are the first 3 lines of District 10 VP Larry Tougas' campaign statement

So at least one AMA VP agrees with the sentiment that I find I am surrounded with at my club.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
It is time for a change.

The only thing constant is change. Mr. Tougas should state why he feels it's time for a change.

If so, how has the AMA strayed from its missin? What will Mr. Tougas do to return the AMA to it's mission and how will he do it?

I don't have any interest in rubber power free flight and there's no way in hell Mr. Tougas will be confiscating my radio control models. Too bad Mr. Tougas can't even figure out how to describe what he means by "traditional modelers".

So at least one AMA VP agrees with the sentiment that I find I am surrounded with at my club.

Absolutely nothing more than vague generic campaign statements with zero specifics provided. Another campaign with no substance going nowhere.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by mr_matt
It is time for a change.

That boosted him from "acceptable" candidate to "preferred" IMHO.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Absolutely nothing more than vague generic campaign statements with zero specifics provided. Another campaign with no substance going nowhere.
Care to share which candidate's campaign has substance, is going "somewhere", and has a statement with specifics?

Astro
Old 08-11-2016, 11:51 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
Care to share which candidate's campaign has substance, is going "somewhere", and has a statement with specifics?

Astro
Tiano!

Actually this is interesting because isn't Tougas a good old boy since he's inside? Or it's OK since he wants a change to traditional modeling.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:51 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of who is running if they say something as generic as we need change they should be specific in terms of what change they want and how they are specifically going to go about making that change
Old 08-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Astro
Here's a perfect example:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12240082
Old 08-11-2016, 12:04 PM
astrohog

UMMM....he's not listed as a candidate...

Care to try again?

Astro
Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 PM
TimJ

How did the AMA stray from it's purpose?

ARTICLE II
Purposes

Subject to the limitations set forth in the Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc., Articles of Incorporation, the primaryobject of the AMA is to promote and foster educational and scientific advancement in model aeronautics, to giverecognition to model leadership and to provide guidance and direction of national model aeronautic affairs by thoseindividuals who, through their accomplishments in the model field, have demonstrated their qualifications for suchresponsibility. More particular purposes are listed below, but shall not be considered exclusive.(a) To encourage the study and discussion of scientific problems and to disseminate scientific news and views.(b) To organize and sponsor discussion conferences and the presentation of technical papers at such conferences.(c) To encourage through recognition, leadership in model aeronautics.(d) To recognize leadership of unusual quality by the conferring of special honorary titles.(e) To encourage joint discussion directed toward group agreement on development needs relating to modelaviation.(f) To keep model leaders informed through the publication of scientific journals and news bulletins.(g) To encourage the contribution of articles on the development of model aeronautics for the AMA publication.(h) To associate interested organizations and individuals for group support of education and development needsrelated to model aeronautics.(i) To guide and direct national model activities to the end that model aeronautics may be advanced in the UnitedStates in a manner that will best serve model aviation as a whole.(j) To guide and assist in the acquisition and retention of flying sites for the further growth and development ofmodel aeronautics.(k) To establish and maintain official regulations governing the conduct of model airplane records and contests andissue sanctions for same.(l) To direct the technical organization and conduct of national and international model contests held within theUnited States and to act through the National Aeronautics Association as the aeromodeling representative in theUnited States for the Federation Aeronautique Internationale.(m) To license model aircraft and fliers thereof for competition.(n) To promote recognition in the United States and abroad of all officially sanctioned competitions and recordswhich are conducted by AMA Contest Directors.(o) To have as its guiding principle, Of, By, and For the Model Airplane Enthusiast.(p) To operate through the National Aeronautic Association in representing all activities of United StatesAeromodeling to the FAI, such operation to be in accordance with a written agreement between AMA and NAA.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:07 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by porcia83
Tiano!

Actually this is interesting because isn't Tougas a good old boy since he's inside? Or it's OK since he wants a change to traditional modeling.
Not sure who said that?
Is that a question or a statement?
Yours? Cause I never said that. You are so confusing!

Astro
Old 08-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Care to try again?

Astro
So Frank is not running for AMA President?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
How did the AMA stray from it's purpose?
Can you please provide specific examples?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:15 PM
astrohog

So Frank is not running for AMA President?
Not according to the official AMA website. I only see three candidates listed there.

Astro
Old 08-11-2016, 12:19 PM
TimJ

Can you please provide specific examples?
I'm not the one claiming the AMA strayed from it's purpose.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:19 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:21 PM
TimJ

Here is a mission statement as presented by David Matheson in 2011.

Mission Statement
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose ofpromotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation,recognition, education and scientific/technical development to modelers.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:29 PM
astrohog

That would be an excellent question to ask the candidates. There has been an exhausting amount of dialogue on what constitutes traditional modeling, and there has been no consensus to date (at least not to my knowledge).

Crispy made it very clear a couple of posts ago that he believes traditional modeling to consist of rubber-powered activites and Does NOT include any RC activities.

Lots of different opinions out there, that is for sure!

Astro
Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mission Statement
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose ofpromotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation,recognition, education and scientific/technical development to modelers.

Yes...."modeling activities".....not "autonomous flying camera" activities

As BV said for years, if the AMA kept embracing drones (flying camera, semi autonomous drones) we would all go down together. The AMA should have done everything in its power to highlight our model hobby (flying an aircraft for the fun of watching it fly) versus autonomous camera platforms (drones).

I believe we need to work to differentiate between traditional model aircraft from the "flying tripods" aka drones.

AMA......the "M" stands for "Model"

Last edited by mr_matt; 08-11-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:32 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83
Tiano!

I can't consider him a "good old boy". He came into office as VP with some neat ideas and enthusiasm, but seemed to be kicked to the curb at every intersection.

Maybe as president he can be more persuasive?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Care to try again?

Astro
Do you understand the difference between a ballot and a candidate?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I can't consider him a "good old boy". He came into office as VP with some neat ideas and enthusiasm, but seemed to be kicked to the curb at every intersection.

Maybe as president he can be more persuasive?
Maybe it was self inflicted....
Old 08-11-2016, 12:37 PM
cj_rumley

Mission Statement
Emphasis added

Where it says "modelers" it used to say "its members." Perversely, the words changed even as it started becoming more self centered.

That's one way that " the AMA strayed from it's purpose." Another of course is their obsession with turning AMA into Dronz R Us, paraphrasing liberally an objective than L. Tougas addressed.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I'm not the one claiming the AMA strayed from it's purpose.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:54 PM
astrohog

Maybe it was self inflicted....
Was it?
Old 08-11-2016, 01:00 PM
astrohog

Do you understand the difference between a ballot and a candidate?
Ballot = piece of paper used to cast ones vote
Candidate = person who is nominated for election

Am I still missing something?

Or do you have a "secret" definition of your own?

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.