Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
In any organization, when the group culture turns toward looking back and focuses on preserving tradition instead of looking forward to grow, innovate, and develop, death is one generation away. The AMA has done a tremendous job helping aeromodeling develop over the years primarily because as a group aeromodelers have embraced new technologies and new ways of doing things. But as the median age of the AMA has risen, the culture has become past minded. If we vote in a candidate focused on tradition rather then innovation and incorporating the new products into our hobby in productive ways, we will be choosing not to have the AMA survive beyond the current generation of members.
Too much government overreach can have a similar affect, so it's become a fine balancing act. As far as embracing technology we've had a good run, but the times are changing and how much advancement the hobby can embrace is yet to be seen.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:13 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipover
but the times are changing and how much advancement the hobby can embrace is yet to be seen.
The advancements will eventually get to the point where the difference will be great enough to require a totally new classification of hobby flight . Of this I truly do believe . To my eye , it's not the multirotors that are changing things , it's the flying camera , whether it's strapped to a multirotor or a fixed wing , the flying camera is an entirely different species than we've had in the hobby thus far . Interesting times ahead , that's for sure ....

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:55 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In any organization, when the group culture turns toward looking back and focuses on preserving tradition instead of looking forward to grow, innovate, and develop, death is one generation away. The AMA has done a tremendous job helping aeromodeling develop over the years primarily because as a group aeromodelers have embraced new technologies and new ways of doing things. But as the median age of the AMA has risen, the culture has become past minded. If we vote in a candidate focused on tradition rather then innovation and incorporating the new products into our hobby in productive ways, we will be choosing not to have the AMA survive beyond the current generation of members.
You are absolutely on point on all accounts, but certainly are not part of the popular opinion, at least here. The AMA certainly has continued to accept and embrace new technologies over the past 80 years. If not, the organization would have died years ago. One only need look at the IMAA as an example of a group of folks that look at one style of flying and one general type of aviation to see that this type of myopic focus eventually leads to stagnation, and eventually poof, it's gone. (before the standard you're wrong comments start, it's a general example, yes I know it's still around) The age profile of the memberships certainly isn't going down, and the AMA has taken steps to involve more youth, consider the scholarships given out, the STEM program, outreach to schools and civic groups, and even free memberships to youth. You might have noted that free membership to youth thing is a huge issue with some folks, you know, since as adults they have to pay dues. So as usual they find themselves in the position of being damned if they do, damned if they don't. "Traditional" modeling ie scratch-building has plummeted in popularity, heck even bigger size arf aircraft purchases and associated parts/vendor segment is down as well, and that's coming right from one of the inside/outsiders running for office, Frank Tiano. They have embraced smaller park flyers and tried to build membership that way, and were pilloried for it. They embraced MR/Drone technology, and oh lord they were vilified for that. Oddly enough, one of the criticisms is that they embraced that segment of the market to get more members. Can you imagine the AMA wanting to build membership, the horror of it all. That program of course has been successful, but to the virulently anti-MR segment, nothing will ever be right again.

And the similarities between the national organizations and the the AMA ones are really startling when you sit down and read the campaign statements,well, for at least two of the members. It's like they are taking playbook pages right out of Trump's campaign. Take the xenophobia, fear mongering, elitists, Nationalism, and plain demagogy and you can see the same themes creeping into this campaign.

Let's make the hobby great again, get back to "tradition". Let's build a wall and make sure we separate THEM from US. If we keep embracing THEM, we'll have the govt continue to get involved and then take our THINGS away. Pick me and I'll make everything right again, I can do it (but no specifics there, just generalities) Oh, those are from folks that have been involved at the EC level already, and or other higher positions in the AMA. And of course those are just the high level themes. Tiano appears to have a history of making slurs against folks, as well as making veiled threats of violence against people, based on e-mails he reportedly sent. At least none of the candidates are talking about sending the MR/Drones back to the country they came from. Then again, it's early in the campaign!

I hope all of the candidates will make themselves available for either a debate (yes, it can be done), or at a minimum some type of prearranged or times Q and A, sort of like Reddit does with the "ask me anything". Campaign statements are normally worked over canned messages that appeal to the broadest spectrum of potential voters and don't normally address timely issues, and provide specific suggestions or solutions to the issues at hand.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:03 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by init4fun
The advancements will eventually get to the point where the difference will be great enough to require a totally new classification of hobby flight . Of this I truly do believe . To my eye , it's not the multirotors that are changing things , it's the flying camera , whether it's strapped to a multirotor or a fixed wing , the flying camera is an entirely different species than we've had in the hobby thus far . Interesting times ahead , that's for sure ....
I think the time is here and now, Init. The drones aka flying cameras are a different breed, but that's not to invalidate them as a worthwhile hobby pursuit. They deserve to have organization, representation and advocacy just as much as model aircraft enthusiasts do.......but not by the same organization.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:41 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I think the time is here and now, Init. The drones aka flying cameras are a different breed, but that's not to invalidate them as a worthwhile hobby pursuit. They deserve to have organization, representation and advocacy just as much as model aircraft enthusiasts do.......but not by the same organization.
My biggest flying camera objection centers around any "hobby based" unrestricted BLOS flight . We know it's out there happening cause there are literally hundreds of hours of it on UTube . To me , the AMA #550 adherents really aren't any kind of problem cause they are in their fields within their spotter's line of sight and aren't making any kinds of menace of themselves . It's the darned unrestricted BLOS that's the problem . How many #550 flyers are out there getting in the jetliner's way VS the unrestricted "hobby based" BLOS flyers flying where and when they choose ? With every new major development the the technology comes first , the misuse of the technology comes second (in this case unrestricted BLOS) , and then the regulations come third . So far us LOS hobby flyers haven't been affected much yet , other than the FAA number next to the AMA number my flying has remained the same and I hope in the future as more and more of the unrestricted BLOS crew causes trouble we can still maintain that that's not us , our code don't allow BLOS and so we don't need any more regulating , we've done pretty good with it all these years ourselves just by keeping our eyes directly on the models we are flying ..... .

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

And yet flying cameras were around for decades before MR/Drones came to be. They were just hooked up to fixed wing aircraft. So really doesn't seem it's the flying camera concept as much as it is a MR/Quad issue for you.

But lets say for arguments sake "they" get their own organization, representation, and advocacy. What does that change for the AMA, or it's members? This benefits us how? Does is change anything the FAA is doing, no. Does the AMA kick out those that are already in as members, and tell them to go to this new organization? What about folks who fly both disciplines, or better yet more than that...fixed wing, fixed wing with camera, MR, and Drone". Do they now have to join two orgs in order to enjoy the benefits of a CBO?

I see the candidates calling for this artificial construct of US and THEM, ie "we need to differentiate ourselves"....but not one person has said exactly how this would be done. You know, the actual details rather than the sound bite ie "we need change". Nor have any of them, or for that matter you, said exactly what the expected outcome would be. I'm not taking a shot at you, but what exactly would be the expected outcome of a different CBO being involved here, would anything really change for the AMA? And if that was to happen, how exactly would you expect the current members to be treated?

Not a bad question really to put to Tougas since he seems to be asking for the same thing in principle.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:24 PM
cj_rumley

My biggest flying camera objection centers around any "hobby based" unrestricted BLOS flight . We know it's out there happening cause there are literally hundreds of hours of it on UTube . To me , the AMA #550 adherents really aren't any kind of problem cause they are in their fields within their spotter's line of sight and aren't making any kinds of menace of themselves . It's the darned unrestricted BLOS that's the problem . How many #550 flyers are out there getting in the jetliner's way VS the unrestricted "hobby based" BLOS flyers flying where and when they choose ? With every new major development the the technology comes first , the misuse of the technology comes second (in this case unrestricted BLOS) , and then the regulations come third . So far us LOS hobby flyers haven't been affected much yet , other than the FAA number next to the AMA number my flying has remained the same and I hope in the future as more and more of the unrestricted BLOS crew causes trouble we can still maintain that that's not us , our code don't allow BLOS and so we don't need any more regulating , we've done pretty good with it all these years ourselves just by keeping our eyes directly on the models we are flying ..... .
Repeating I know, but I regard drones that fly at model fields, chartered club or not, are model aircraft and are restricted to same boundaries as traditional model aircraft. I think we agree on that. I sincerely doubt that the attraction of them for most enthusiasts is is flying within the bounds of a club field or equivalent, viewing and photographing featureless ground intentionally selected or made so to avoid crashing into people or their property. DJI ads proudly boast of a 5 km range for the video downlink their latest Phantom 4 is equipped for. This is the industry leader by a big margin, and it seems very clear to me the market they are serving would not be happy being leashed to visual LOS range of operation, or not flying over people or their things. I'm not saying they should not be allowed the freedom to fly as they wish, just that they need safe operating standards and regulation that is very different than what applies to model aircraft. They need an organization dedicated to their hobby/sport, not being restricted to what applies to model airplanes. AMA is not the right organization. From L. Tougas campaign statement
The original decision to market to MRM and FPV modelers was made with the best intentions. The thought was the AMA would have a new stream of members to fund all of our membership programs such as flying site assistance grants, education scholarships, political outreach, etc. Now we have a much better understanding of the market and it shows that it is time to reassess our plan.
So, the "best intentions' of AMA were not serve the interests of the drone hobbyists, but to gain from their pocketbooks a revenue stream to fund ongoing AMA programs.
They need their own organization, and we don't need the bad publicity associated with their growing pains.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:14 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

I think the fixed wing folks are simply feeling nostalgic and hoping to revert back to way things were before MR technology showed up on the scene, which is highly unlikely we can ever go back there at this point in the game. That autonomous flight technology can and has been used with many flight platform types, and therefore it presents the same security concern to the FAA regardless of the aircraft type being flown. Once a technology falls into the hands of the main stream consumer, it becomes pretty difficult to control where it will be used next.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

I think the fixed wing folks are simply feeling nostalgic and hoping to revert back to way things were before MR technology showed up on the scene, which is highly unlikely we can ever go back there at this point in the game. That autonomous flight technology can and has been used with many flight platform types, and therefore it presents the same security concern to the FAA regardless of the aircraft type being flown. Once a technology falls into the hands of the main stream consumer, it becomes pretty difficult to control where it will be used next.
I think you are spot on. It's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:08 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
And yet flying cameras were around for decades before MR/Drones came to be. They were just hooked up to fixed wing aircraft. So really doesn't seem it's the flying camera concept as much as it is a MR/Quad issue for you.

But lets say for arguments sake "they" get their own organization, representation, and advocacy. What does that change for the AMA, or it's members? This benefits us how? Does is change anything the FAA is doing, no. Does the AMA kick out those that are already in as members, and tell them to go to this new organization? What about folks who fly both disciplines, or better yet more than that...fixed wing, fixed wing with camera, MR, and Drone". Do they now have to join two orgs in order to enjoy the benefits of a CBO?

I see the candidates calling for this artificial construct of US and THEM, ie "we need to differentiate ourselves"....but not one person has said exactly how this would be done. You know, the actual details rather than the sound bite ie "we need change". Nor have any of them, or for that matter you, said exactly what the expected outcome would be. I'm not taking a shot at you, but what exactly would be the expected outcome of a different CBO being involved here, would anything really change for the AMA? And if that was to happen, how exactly would you expect the current members to be treated?

Not a bad question really to put to Tougas since he seems to be asking for the same thing in principle.
the camera is easy to blame, but it isn't what really made the difference between the anything/anywhere folks and us hobbyists. that item is the autonomous flight control unit that has made flying anything, fixed/helo/mr easy for anybody with no training required.
just turned out that a mr with flight control unit and camera was fit-able into a box already completely built, just charge the batts and go. not so easy for a fixed wing.
and, of course, that hover in place thing.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:03 AM
rcmiket

It had nothing to do with government regulation of the hobby just guys feeling "nostalgic"

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-15-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
the camera is easy to blame, but it isn't what really made the difference between the anything/anywhere folks and us hobbyists. that item is the autonomous flight control unit that has made flying anything, fixed/helo/mr easy for anybody with no training required.
just turned out that a mr with flight control unit and camera was fit-able into a box already completely built, just charge the batts and go. not so easy for a fixed wing.
and, of course, that hover in place thing.
So more of the Us versus Them mentality here I guess. As well as the continued fallacy that the AFC units require no training, just charge a battery and off you go. The programming and electronics absolutely make it easier to fly, no doubt about it. The pilot still needs to operate the unit, and most importantly calibrate and program it for flight. Keep in mind I'm talking about the more high end ones, not the units bought at grocery stores and toy stores. Incidentally, Horizon Hobby already has fixed wing planes that take off on their own, fly pretty much on their own, and now land on their own as well. I flew one this week. Will we start seeing a call to separate those folks from the "hobbyists" as well?
Old 08-15-2016, 05:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
It had nothing to do with government regulation of the hobby just guys feeling "nostalgic"

Mike
Govt regulation? How has the hobby changed for you or I over the past few years? Are you flying any differently now than you were a year, or two, or three ago? Where is this regulation you are talking about, or do you mean the $5.00 registration that took 5 minutes to complete?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:47 AM
cj_rumley

To my Friends out here , It's been nice talking with you all , but my time here is done . Happy Flying .....
Happy Flying to you, Buddy. Hope to chat with you again soon.

Cletus
Old 08-15-2016, 08:46 AM
TimJ

Well said!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:09 AM
franklin_m

One thing that occurred to me in reading these posts is that unlike FW, heli, and even FPV racing, the "flying" of the MR is incidental to what you can do with the MR. In the latter, the MR is merely a tool that allows someone to achieve a purpose largely unrelated to flying - photograph impossible to get otherwise, inspections, seeing if your gutters need cleaned, etc.

Model aviation has been largely focused on the flying itself as the primary motivation. I'd argue it still is, even including the MR FPV racing. But that use is fundamentally different than those where the flying device is merely a platform that allows completion of a function not as directly related to flying.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
One thing that occurred to me in reading these posts is that unlike FW, heli, and even FPV racing, the "flying" of the MR is incidental to what you can do with the MR. In the latter, the MR is merely a tool that allows someone to achieve a purpose largely unrelated to flying - photograph impossible to get otherwise, inspections, seeing if your gutters need cleaned, etc.

Model aviation has been largely focused on the flying itself as the primary motivation. I'd argue it still is, even including the MR FPV racing. But that use is fundamentally different than those where the flying device is merely a platform that allows completion of a function not as directly related to flying.
Really, perhaps you mean drones in the truest sense, ie autonomous ones with camera?

Because I'm pretty sure that someone flying a scratch built multi-rotor around a pylon race track is doing exactly what the pilot of a scratch built quickie 500 plane is doing while flying around a pylon race track.

Not all MR are flown by FPV.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 AM
franklin_m

Really, perhaps you mean drones in the truest sense, ie autonomous ones with camera?

Because I'm pretty sure that someone flying a scratch built multi-rotor around a pylon race track is doing exactly what the pilot of a scratch built quickie 500 plane is doing while flying around a pylon race track.

Not all MR are flown by FPV.
I consider folks racing drones, FPV or not, as closer to FW and Heli than they are to other stuff. The flying, albeit for speed, is the principle goal of the action. As for the other ones, I don't mean strictly autonomous MRs. But rather those what are autonomous enough to make the flying incidental to what they're being used to accomplish (photos for example).
Old 08-15-2016, 11:02 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree 100%. It is this simple.

Model aviation has been largely focused on the flying itself as the primary motivation. I'd argue it still is, even including the MR FPV racing. .
Yes...traditional modeling focuses on the flying itself. The experience of flying. And I agree, to me MR Racing (FPV or not) is 100% a form of the modelling hobby......100% it can stand as a traditional model activity. We have already hosted one big race at our field. But even these guys have limited need for a classic, traditional "AMA type" field. They set up well in soccer fields, places like that

But that use is fundamentally different than those where the flying device is merely a platform that allows completion of a function not as directly related to flying.
Again, I agree 100%. The VAST majority of the mass market "drone" units sold (especially when GoPro finally starts shipping) are not models but flying camera platforms. I would be very surprised if the GoPro will even feature any conventional 3 axis controls at all. It will be a phone app or it will just follow you and point the camera. And within 6 months they will sell more high end drones than everyone else put together has inception to date. Not models.

In my experience people that have such a hard time differentiating drones from traditional model aircraft have a vested interest (hidden or not) in keeping them mixed and they feign ignorance....to everyone else it is plain as day what the differences are.

Many of my fellow club members see this and I believe Larry Tougas sees it and I bet others on the EC do as well.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I agree 100%. It is this simple.

Yes...traditional modeling focuses on the flying itself. The experience of flying. And I agree, to me MR Racing (FPV or not) is 100% a form of the modelling hobby......100% it can stand as a traditional model activity. We have already hosted one big race at our field. But even these guys have limited need for a classic, traditional "AMA type" field. They set up well in soccer fields, places like that

Again, I agree 100%. The VAST majority of the mass market "drone" units sold (especially when GoPro finally starts shipping) are not models but flying camera platforms. I would be very surprised if the GoPro will even feature any conventional 3 axis controls at all. It will be a phone app or it will just follow you and point the camera. And within 6 months they will sell more high end drones than everyone else put together has inception to date. Not models.

In my experience people that have such a hard time differentiating drones from traditional model aircraft have a vested interest (hidden or not) in keeping them mixed and they feign ignorance....to everyone else it is plain as day what the differences are.

Many of my fellow club members see this and I believe Larry Tougas sees it and I bet others on the EC do as well.
So do we know start looking at including different forms of flight systems into their spacial needs at a field? Helis probably need less room than a MR to fly around and do their thing, should the AMA look to draw a clear comparison (US versus THEM) as well?

Oh Tougas has certainly made his feelings on the issue know, too bad though that it's extremely vague and non specific in terms of what he actually wants to do about it. We want change..great, what change. We want to differentiate ourselves...great, how? And what difference will that make to anything at this point. Lets focus on traditional modeling...great, rubber powered and free flight? Just more platitudes and attitudes, no form or function.

His "traditional" mantra is only going to reach so far, he better get specific and lay out a reasonable plan of action. Or perhaps he'll take the safe approach and just call for general statements and not get mired down in those annoying details.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by DREAMER-RCU
It might be a good idea to look at the track records of the candidates. How long have the candidates been AMA members (leader members). Have they introduced any items to be voted upon or do they just vote on fluff. Do they have modeling experience? Who pays their travel expenses?
Got to thinking more about this yesterday and today, and would again agree, and also expand. The three on the ballots clearly meet the technical merits, perhaps the same with Tiano. So in addition to meeting those requirements, and along the lines of what you mention....can they show specifically what they have actually done to make their districts better? Did they come into office with plans, if so how were they executed and what came of them? So far I've heard some folks like Tougas because of his stance on "traditional modeling", but I've also heard he failed to accomplish any of the things he set out to do. Whether that was his fault, or a district thing who knows,, but I'd like to know. If he or any of them struggled at the district level, what would happen at a national level.

All appear to have deep experience in modeling, and one was even a scale heli pilot.

Tiano was a district AVP but then wasn't. I'd like to know specifically what he did while an AVP, and why he was no longer one. That doesn't usually happen. Looks like Ken has reached out to the AMA to allow them some space here to post, so I'm interested to hear what they have to say.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:24 PM
cj_rumley

Tiano was a district AVP but then wasn't. I'd like to know specifically what he did while an AVP, and why he was no longer one. That doesn't usually happen. Looks like Ken has reached out to the AMA to allow them some space here to post, so I'm interested to hear what they have to say.
Now that's funny

At least two posters in this thread are "no longer one."
Old 08-15-2016, 03:30 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The question was asked what will happen if "we" separate from "them." The answer is the death of the AMA. There are already several community organizations for MR flying. None have gained the critical mass yet to become a national representative yet, but they are on their way. If the AMA pushes away the MR crowd, their organisations will grow. Then they'll become a real player in government negotiations and grow more. If they are smart, they'll incorporate benefits for the park flyer crowd who are probably also flying MR vehicles. That will give them the two fastest growing segments of the RC hobby while the AMA continues to age. Eventually dues won't be able to support AMA services and promotion, so it will cease to exist. That will take a while, but a decision to be traditionalist now will make it a certainty. Then when the AMA goes, so will most clubs' insurance. Some might find other coverage, but many won't be able to and will have to close. As an organization, we need the funds and the energy of young people. If that means embracing newfangled gadgets that they like, so be it. But the truth is that most have already been turned away by selfish jerks who only want to be around glow powered balsa planes. Such people have already doomed their clubs to death once their generation is gone. If we let them, they will do the same to the AMA.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

Now that's funny

At least two posters in this thread are "no longer one."
Oh I'm sure it's a real knee slapper....lol inducing for sure, but I'm sure it's an inside joke ( and probably worse) but no doubt completely off topic...unless two posters here are running for the job and are both no longer avp's. Is that the case? If not...it's unclear why you would try to bring it into the conversation???
Old 08-15-2016, 03:49 PM
cj_rumley

Oh I'm sure it's a real knee slapper....lol inducing for sure, but I'm sure it's an inside joke ( and probably worse) but no doubt completely off topic...unless two posters here are running for the job and are both no longer avp's. Is that the case? If not...it's unclear why you would try to bring it into the conversation???
You brought it into the conversation, and this isn't the first instance. You want Frank Tiano to wear it like a scarlet letter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.