Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 03:20 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

does anybody here have any idea what that last post of porcia's is about or trying to say.
sounds like lost ramblings to me.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
So the magazine loses a million, but generates $11,000.00 in new member dues........I'm no rocket scientist and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but it would seem that it still leaves a lot of red in the books....

Astro
Depends on the kind of accounting you use. Since a majority of the members could care less about this stuff it just slides by. Now when you have a program like the Best Buy deal for the new "droners" and give them a opportunity to get a FREE membership ( no cost to them) in a organization by redeeming a coupon and a very small percentage take advantage of the FREE membership seems like they have no interest at all in said organization offering them a FREE membership.
Lets all remember though that these are the future of the hobby. Now this Christmas if they offered FREE membership to fixed wing and heli buyers wonder how many would be redeemed?

Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 03:52 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mongo
does anybody here have any idea what that last post of porcia's is about or trying to say.
sounds like lost ramblings to me.
Lol.....I'm sure the troops will weigh in shortly, send out another alert.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Depends on the kind of accounting you use. Since a majority of the members could care less about this stuff it just slides by. Now when you have a program like the Best Buy deal for the new "droners" and give them a opportunity to get a FREE membership ( no cost to them) in a organization by redeeming a coupon and a very small percentage take advantage of the FREE membership seems like they have no interest at all in said organization offering them a FREE membership.
Lets all remember though that these are the future of the hobby. Now this Christmas if they offered FREE membership to fixed wing and heli buyers wonder how many would be redeemed?

Mike
Ya, funny how that accounting works eh Mike? Sort of like how the FREE membership netted the AMA how much? At least you've qualified that now (free to the new member). Those pesky facts and logic!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

So the magazine loses a million, but generates $11,000.00 in new member dues........I'm no rocket scientist and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but it would seem that it still leaves a lot of red in the books....

Astro
Ha! I'm surprised we haven't heard the comment "well you have to spend money to make money" yet !
I mean we all know print membership/readership is up across the country for newspapers, magazines, etc.. and it's a big revenue generator...........right ? So these ama figures for the magazine must be incorrect.

It's time to pull the plug on the money-loosing magazine and lower the dues or spend that money more wisely elsewhere in the organization.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Lower the dues, always a great solution! Wouldn't that mean less money the AMA could give out to the clubs it "cherry picks"?
Old 08-17-2016, 05:19 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Sure, that seems like a good number, perhaps a lofty goal. Is that a problem though? I can't understand why looking for additional members is so stigmatized here. Isn't that a good thing? Of course we don't know what the true number of drone sales were, or if all of them would be subject to registration or the need/want for an AMA membership.

But again, why is it wrong to seek new membership? They also used Facebook, as well as Google advertising (at cost of 6.00 per new membership), Seems like the are casting a wide net for all types of new members, is this bad?
Labeling something, "good" or "bad", "right" or "wrong" is highly subjective. The AMA was originally founded by modelers, for modelers and has largely operated that way since its inception until recent years. When an organizations purpose is to serve its members and to allow them to enjoy, share and further their hobby, it seems rather desperate and counter-intuitive to have to "buy" new membership in order to stay alive. When the focus of an organization ls to simply grow its ranks by any means, it tends to lose focus on its original intent and core membership. I believe that is exactly what is happening now, hence some of its members starting to be more vocal and voice their concerns. These are the members that you have labeled "anti-AMA" and "haters".

Again, the AMA is a by modelers, for modelers organization. If times have changed and there are not enough modelers left to stay solvent, then so be it, there have been lots of organizations that have become extinct due to losing their relevancy as times change. By reaching out and having to beg, buy (pay to acquire), lure (offer "free" and convenient membership to drone buyers) and use their CBO status as a sole reason to join its ranks, it is only alienating itself from its core members and will only serve to further dilute and divide its membership and will become weaker, not stronger. Strength is not solely based on sheer numbers. A strong organization is a unified an passionate organization regardless of sheer numbers (ever see the movie Braveheart?). We have discussed the apathy within our ranks (one thing that I think we actually all agree on) as witnessed by low voter turnout, lack of knowledge about our own organization and its inner workings (by-laws, election protocol, Model Aviation day, etc.). By buying, enticing, or otherwise simply acquiring membership that it will actually be a stronger, healthier organization. I believe that it should instead focus its attention on serving their existing members, a large percentage of which have been members for many decades. How long an organization keeps its members is a much better barometer than how many members it has.

So, as you can see, it is not as simple as making the blanket statement, "Is it wrong to seek new membership".

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 05:26 AM
rcmiket

Labeling something, "good" or "bad", "right" or "wrong" is highly subjective. The AMA was originally founded by modelers, for modelers and has largely operated that way since its inception until recent years. When an organizations purpose is to serve its members and to allow them to enjoy, share and further their hobby, it seems rather desperate and counter-intuitive to have to "buy" new membership in order to stay alive. When the focus of an organization ls to simply grow its ranks by any means, it tends to lose focus on its original intent and core membership. I believe that is exactly what is happening now, hence some of its members starting to be more vocal and voice their concerns. These are the members that you have labeled "anti-AMA" and "haters".

Again, the AMA is a by modelers, for modelers organization. If times have changed and there are not enough modelers left to stay solvent, then so be it, there have been lots of organizations that have become extinct due to losing their relevancy as times change. By reaching out and having to beg, buy (pay to acquire), lure (offer "free" and convenient membership to drone buyers) and use their CBO status as a sole reason to join its ranks, it is only alienating itself from its core members and will only serve to further dilute and divide its membership and will become weaker, not stronger. Strength is not solely based on sheer numbers. A strong organization is a unified an passionate organization regardless of sheer numbers (ever see the movie Braveheart?). We have discussed the apathy within our ranks (one thing that I think we actually all agree on) as witnessed by low voter turnout, lack of knowledge about our own organization and its inner workings (by-laws, election protocol, Model Aviation day, etc.). By buying, enticing, or otherwise simply acquiring membership that it will actually be a stronger, healthier organization. I believe that it should instead focus its attention on serving their existing members, a large percentage of which have been members for many decades. How long an organization keeps its members is a much better barometer than how many members it has.

So, as you can see, it is not as simple as making the blanket statement, "Is it wrong to seek new membership".

Regards,

Astro
Well put.

Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 05:40 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd say the reason the Best Buy program didn't work is through same reason the MR crowd still isn't interested in the AMA. That reason is a lack of value in the membership. The AMA leadership assumes that all RC hobbyists know what the AMA is and want to be a part of a national organization. That was a safe assumption for the builder and maybe the boomer generation, but not for anyone under 45. The AMA really doesn't give the MR crowd anything for their money, so why should they join?

The AMA reached out to them with FREE memberships thru Best Buy that by their own admission didn't do well but did net about 900 new FREE members. Now just how many FREE offers we given out and how many were redeemed I don't have off hand.
From the Jan EC minutes.

[B]"• Best Buy Program: the program is underperforming, not meeting expectations by a wide margin.
Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 05:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Perhaps someone will quote this so you can help us understand how so called FREE memberships as you call them generate $62,092.00 in revenue for the AMA? Where does this blatantly wrong information keep coming from?

FREE means 0
$62,092.00 doesn't sound so free.

More interesting info...fun fact: That "rag" magazine some call Model Aviation brought in 146 members...to the tune of about $11,000.
People either confuse or intentionally twist the information. The membership was either free or discounted to the buyers as I recall, but I believe it was paid by Best Buy.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:56 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I'd say the reason the Best Buy program didn't work is through same reason the MR crowd still isn't interested in the AMA. That reason is a lack of value in the membership. The AMA leadership assumes that all RC hobbyists know what the AMA is and want to be a part of a national organization. That was a safe assumption for the builder and maybe the boomer generation, but not for anyone under 45. The AMA really doesn't give the MR crowd anything for their money, so why should they join?
They do not need or want membership. The low redemption rate of a FREE membership just reinforces that. Maybe down the road someone will start a organization they do find of value and join that. I don't see that happening though.

Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You could be Larry Tougas' speech writer!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

They do not need or want membership. The low redemption rate of a FREE membership just reinforces that. Maybe down the road someone will start a organization they do find of value and join that. I don't see that happening though.

Mike
The free part was paid for by Best Buy. Problem is you don't bother to read all of the information.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Then why all of those new memberships through Best Buy?
Old 08-17-2016, 06:02 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The free part was paid for by Best Buy. Problem is you don't bother to read all of the information.
Right and I can read just fine and I figured most would be smart enough to figure it out but I was wrong. With that cleared up the bottom line is the end user DID NOT REDEEM THE FREE MEMBERSHIP. Who paid for it is beside the point the end user saw no value in a FREE membership.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-17-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

Right, but the bottom line is the end user DID NOT REDEEM THE FREE MEMBERSHIP. Who paid for it is beside the point the end user saw no value in a FREE membership.

Mike
They were late on the offer and not that many sold with the free offer as most were sold before that, but they did net about 900 new members, maybe more since reported.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:46 AM
rcmiket

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/academy-...&skuId=4565900

Just a few user reviews ( expand on reviews to see them) on the FREE membership from customers. BB still offers AMA memberships in their stores I wonder how many they have sold?

Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 06:57 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They were late on the offer and not that many sold with the free offer as most were sold before that, but they did net about 900 new members, maybe more since reported.
Speaking about not reading......the numbers were posted in this thread a mere page ago! Best Buy accounted for 692 new members, 821 total w/ renewals. I am taking that to read that 692 people signed up through the BB program and 129 have already renewed their membership.

I think what Mike was trying to say is that although the AMA saw the revenue from these "free" memberships (essentially $$ subsidized by retailer who stood to profit from such subsidy), the actual members were likely merely taking advantage of a free offer, and could give a hoot about the AMA, and may not have otherwise joined. It will be interesting to see how man of the 692 will actually renew their membership when they have to write the check themselves (it looks like 129 may have already done so). Hopefully, the AMA can track these 692 members to see what percentage of them will renew. Until those numbers are known, it is premature to judge the success or failure of this Best Buy initiative.

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

The you go with facts and logic!!!

He will keep using the word FREE in caps as if it's a slight on the AMA. Nothing new there, AMA =BAD, partnership with Best Buy bad, new members bad. Oh, and sure we got about 900 members but how many will really stay with the ama?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
You could be Larry Tougas' speech writer!
Or Tianos'
Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 AM
rcmiket

Speaking about not reading......the numbers were posted in this thread a mere page ago! Best Buy accounted for 692 new members, 821 total w/ renewals. I am taking that to read that 692 people signed up through the BB program and 129 have already renewed their membership.

I think what Mike was trying to say is that although the AMA saw the revenue from these "free" memberships (essentially $$ subsidized by retailer who stood to profit from such subsidy), the actual members were likely merely taking advantage of a free offer, and could give a hoot about the AMA, and may not have otherwise joined. It will be interesting to see how man of the 692 will actually renew their membership when they have to write the check themselves (it looks like 129 may have already done so). Hopefully, the AMA can track these 692 members to see what percentage of them will renew. Until those numbers are known, it is premature to judge the success or failure of this Best Buy initiative.

Regards,

Astro
Exactly unless those who received that free membership are converted to a paying member there is no gain. Same holds true for the youth members. I'll say it again how many would have been redeemed if this same offer were given to fixed wing or heli pilots? This will never happen as that group actually needs the AMA as most flying sites require it.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-17-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Right and I can read just fine and I figured most would be smart enough to figure it out but I was wrong. With that cleared up the bottom line is the end user DID NOT REDEEM THE FREE MEMBERSHIP. Who paid for it is beside the point the end user saw no value in a FREE membership.

Mike
I guess only the gifted few were able to see through the whole charade. Stay focused on those that didn't redeem the membership as that appears to fir the continued narrative, meanwhile over 60,000 poured into the AMA coffers from this magically FREE membership.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

Exactly unless those who received that free membership are converted to a paying member there is no gain. Same holds true for the youth members. I'll say it again how many would have been redeemed if this same offer were given to fixed wing or heli pilots? This will never happen as that group actually needs the AMA as most flying sites require it.
Mike
We've already seen the use of the word "never" fail. You previously used this in noting NO mr users would ever join the AMA as it had nothing to offer them. Rather than acknowledge the error there we see a doubling down. It's usually best not to speak in absolutes.

Say, how about that 10% of the membership focused solely on MR that Tougas has noted? Was he just making that number up?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Regards,

Astro
Someone else reported 900 I am sure it is way over a thousand by now, so I didn't not see that your report from 6 months ago was even close to being accurate.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike
It was paid for! They are paid members, likely most will remain members.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.