Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:16 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
So then it sounds like compared to non-profits, their compensation is, shall we say, generous?
It is what it is.....are we back to salary shaming again?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:31 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Or is it just salary comparing , Hmm ..

Last edited by RCKen; 08-16-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:37 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious, where do you get the $1.7M in cost for magazine, when they list it on the Expense form as $2.5M? Where does the extra $800K come from? Not saying you're wrong, just want to understand.
Page 4 of the 2014 Annual audit. Also to add to this, I'm not sure what percentage of our dues goes towards the magazine. So I don't have that additional revenue added in.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:40 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Oh boy did someone get scooped!

Dave's salary was really 119,000....the other "compensation" is insurance, 401k etc. Remarkably low I think.

Total compensation is indeed a valid measure. And the AMA's ED's total compensation ($138K) is more than the median ($131K) for similarly sized 501c3 organizations ( $3.5M < expenses < $13.5M) in the Midwest, per "Charity Navigator" study.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ay=studies.ceo
Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ
Page 4 of the 2014 Annual audit. Also to add to this, I'm not sure what percentage of our dues goes towards the magazine. So I don't have that additional revenue added in.
Ok. But I'm not mixing data from internal reports with information filed with the Feds. I'm sticking with the document filed under the following:

"Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return, includ1ng accompanying schedules and statements, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is true, correct, and complete."

And the tax form is pretty explicit per my post above, showing a $1.4 million loss on "Aviation Magazine".
Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by init4fun
Or is it just salary comparing , Hmm ....
Or simply members who want to be informed about how our money is being spent? And not based on internal reports, but based on filings with the federal government.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:02 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Or simply members who want to be informed about how our money is being spent? And not based on internal reports, but based on filings with the federal government.
Sounds like a fair assessment to me . Now , I may not be any kinds of high finance or business guru here by any means , but even I have to ask shouldn't both sets of numbers , the internal reports and the Federal filings , be one and the same ? Would there ever be any legitimate reason other than an honest mistake , for them to be different ?

Last edited by RCKen; 08-16-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:18 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Franklin, I have to differ on your cost of the magazine comment. Going by what was reported in the AMA official audit, the magazine for the year 2014 did the following:
Rev: 1,114,928
Cost: 1,733,819
Loss/profit: -618,891 (Loss)
Over the years others have attempted to calculate the true cost of the magazine, I vaguely remember there are AMA staff that work on the magazine (in whole or part time) and their costs are not allocated to the magazine in these financial statements.

I have also heard it argued that the ad rates are indeed below market. And of course the ad sales costs (for the guy who sells the ads) are a whole other kettle of fish.

EDIT: Maybe the loss now is higher in this statement as the AMA had to allocate those staff costs to the magazine finally??
Old 08-12-2016, 01:36 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Over the years others have attempted to calculate the true cost of the magazine, I vaguely remember there are AMA staff that work on the magazine (in whole or part time) and their costs are not allocated to the magazine in these financial statements.

I have also heard it argued that the ad rates are indeed below market. And of course the ad sales costs (for the guy who sells the ads) are a whole other kettle of fish.

EDIT: Maybe the loss now is higher in this statement as the AMA had to allocate those staff costs to the magazine finally??

I don't know. What they tell us about the audit will be interesting. I wonder if audit results are available from the IRS? As a 501c3 the forms themselves are public information, not sure why an audit of that public information wouldn't be public information.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by TampaRC
Nothing more than its interesting to see the 6 figure incomes and a president that is a volunteer. And a single vendor that is getting almost 10% of the of the annual revenue. Just numbers that caught my eye.
I never cease to be amazed at people who are surprised to discover that the ENTIRE Executive Council, meaning ALL the District VPs, the President, Vice President, etc. are ALL elected volunteers who get no money!

Only the actual employee staff, all of who are managed by Dave M. are paid.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 PM
TimJ

Ok. But I'm not mixing data from internal reports with information filed with the Feds. I'm sticking with the document filed under the following:

"Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return, includ1ng accompanying schedules and statements, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is true, correct, and complete."

And the tax form is pretty explicit per my post above, showing a $1.4 million loss on "Aviation Magazine".
Make no mistake, these are NOT internal reports. These are are independent auditors reports.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Right. Oh...these records are available, and have been, for anyone to review.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

Total compensation is indeed a valid measure. And the AMA's ED's total compensation ($138K) is more than the median ($131K) for similarly sized 501c3 organizations ( $3.5M < expenses < $13.5M) in the Midwest, per "Charity Navigator" study.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ay=studies.ceo
So slightly above the median......some might say he's underpaid.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:16 PM
rcmiket

I don't know. What they tell us about the audit will be interesting. I wonder if audit results are available from the IRS? As a 501c3 the forms themselves are public information, not sure why an audit of that public information wouldn't be public information.
If there are issues and I'm not saying there are it could effect the tax exempt status. Ever since our friend in the White House started looking for new sources of revenue the IRS was turned loose to get as much as they could. All Non-Profits were given a pretty good looking over. I would think we ( the AMA ) would cover or butts on this.

Mike
Old 08-12-2016, 02:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Or is it just salary comparing , Hmm ....
Or just comparing apples to oranges, or perhaps a slice of each, but not the whole picture.

Another data set though that's suddenly of interest, yet has always been out there.

Wonder if the outsider Tiano or Tougas would suggest a raise?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I never cease to be amazed at people who are surprised to discover that the ENTIRE Executive Council, meaning ALL the District VPs, the President, Vice President, etc. are ALL elected volunteers who get no money!

But all that good old boy power, prestige, gravitas, and of course the gold gilded halls of Muncie!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

So ask for the results.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:23 PM
franklin_m

Make no mistake, these are NOT internal reports. These are are independent auditors reports.
I understand, but my trust is in data filed with the IRS.

I'd be concerned about why the auditor's report differs from the IRS filing by a million bucks.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:45 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R

Well, 22.3% of the revenue just goes to pay salaries and expenses. Here's some things I found interesting:

Salaries and benefits : $2,340,146 (22% of all revenue)
Travel : $100,886
Conferences : $265,165 vs. $32,000)
Magazine loss : $1,444,639
Office expenses : $164,770
Marketing : $363,920

Scholarships : $32,000 ( a 24% drop from last year)

Also it appears their investments (where they lost $600K) included "Financial derivatives"
Old 08-12-2016, 02:47 PM
franklin_m

Another data set though that's suddenly of interest, yet has always been out there.
Not true. It was not available when I asked for it. So I went to the IRS and asked for a copy.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well, 22.3% of the revenue just goes to pay salaries and expenses. Here's some things I found interesting:

Salaries and benefits : $2,340,146 (22% of all revenue)
Travel : $100,886
Conferences : $265,165 vs. $32,000)
Magazine loss : $1,444,639
Office expenses : $164,770
Marketing : $363,920

Scholarships : $32,000 ( a 24% drop from last year)

Also it appears their investments (where they lost $600K) included "Financial derivatives"
The end is near?
Old 08-12-2016, 03:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Not true. It was not available when I asked for it. So I went to the IRS and asked for a copy.
So it was available...you just didn't know who to ask?
Old 08-12-2016, 04:07 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your entire purpose here to berate and belittle people that don't necessarily agree with you?

The vast majority of your posts overwhelmingly suggest so.

Astro
Old 08-12-2016, 04:14 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt

It's almost as much fun as trying to calculate actual paying members numbers.

Mike
Old 08-12-2016, 04:18 PM
franklin_m

What I know is that I asked for it earlier this year. Since the FY aligns with CY, it would have been the 2014 info, which should have been filed months before that. Never received it.

So sent formal request to IRS. Some time later I got a copy on paper from IRS. Now it's available online from the various places that get and post them. Did it get filed late? Don't know.

So whether or not you consider that to be "available" is up to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.