Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
The end is near?
I'm hoping that by helping folks find and see what's in the IRS filings, it will usher in a new era of transparency. Especially given that folks can compare what's reported to the government and what's reported in the AMA documents.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:22 PM
franklin_m

So slightly above the median......some might say he's underpaid.
I see no reason why he shouldn't earn more, after all, losing over a million a year on the magazine takes work.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:44 PM
TampaRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I see no reason why he shouldn't earn more, after all, losing over a million a year on the magazine takes work.
Awesome post !

"If at first you don't succeed....
then skydiving is not for you!"
......DON"T JUMP OUT OF A GOOD AIRPLANE

Last edited by TampaRC; 08-12-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:59 PM
franklin_m

And lest anyone question the "proof", here it is right from the document filed with the IRS under penalty of perjury.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Revenue vs Expenses.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	2176696  
Old 08-12-2016, 05:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

What I know is that I asked for it earlier this year. Since the FY aligns with CY, it would have been the 2014 info, which should have been filed months before that. Never received it.

So sent formal request to IRS. Some time later I got a copy on paper from IRS. Now it's available online from the various places that get and post them. Did it get filed late? Don't know.

So whether or not you consider that to be "available" is up to you.
I guess I considered it available to those who asked since someone else had access to it.

Given your vast experience running an org like this, as well as a magazine, your comments are duly noted. If only we ( well, some) could vote to make that happen.

But hey... the good news is we have 4 people who think that they can run this operation and I guess bring it back to the way it used to be back in the good old days of traditional modeling I'm sure they'll put an end two salaries and perhaps even kill the magazine can't help but wonder if that would make everyone happy

And lest anyone question the "proof", here it is right from the document filed with the IRS under penalty of perjury.

Perjury...how ominous, lol.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:58 PM
franklin_m

I guess I considered it available to those who asked since someone else had access to it.
The issue is one of timing. I asked for it a while back. I don't think there's anything in the law that says I have to find and ask the right person. When it wasn't provided, I went to the organization certain to have it, if it existed. SUBSEQUENT to that, by a few months, it's now posted online.

Given your vast experience running an org like this, as well as a magazine, your comments are duly noted. If only we ( well, some) could vote to make that happen.
Your sarcasm aside, organizations have functions, and those functions vary from organization to organization. And it's the staff that manages and executes those functions. I do have considerable experience running small staffs, large staffs, large staffs with globally distributed subordinates - all doing a variety of missions. Oversight of a major staff, which included public affairs, operational and administrative web pages, and oversight of magazine publishing was something I first did over a decade ago. And those were all secondary functions to the primary mission. So yes, I do have experience in managing staffs, ones probably a bit more complex than these.

As for killing a couple salaries and the magazine, I can't say it's not an idea that should be seriously considered. As you (I think) have pointed out, times are tough and non-profit revenues are dropping all over. How can we justify the same staff levels when there's fewer $$ coming in the door? Especially since people are typically one of the larger expenses - over 20% in the case of AMA.

Perjury...how ominous, lol.
I was merely trying to differentiate between the penalty for filing a report for internal use and the penalty for filing a report to the government. There's a vastly different level of accountability between the two. Perjury being the most obvious one.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:35 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

So of course this begs the question , since the magazine has remained fairly unchanged for at least the last year or two , what HAS changed that caused it to loose a million dollars ? I'd rather not see the magazine eliminated but I sure would like to see it not operating in the red if at all possible .

So of course this begs the question , since the magazine has remained fairly unchanged for at least the last year or two , what HAS changed that caused it to loose a million dollars ? I'd rather not see the magazine eliminated but I sure would like to see it not operating in the red if at all possible .

Last edited by RCKen; 08-16-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

The issue is one of timing. I asked for it a while back. I don't think there's anything in the law that says I have to find and ask the right person. When it wasn't provided, I went to the organization certain to have it, if it existed. SUBSEQUENT to that, by a few months, it's now posted online.

Your sarcasm aside, organizations have functions, and those functions vary from organization to organization. And it's the staff that manages and executes those functions. I do have considerable experience running small staffs, large staffs, large staffs with globally distributed subordinates - all doing a variety of missions. Oversight of a major staff, which included public affairs, operational and administrative web pages, and oversight of magazine publishing was something I first did over a decade ago. And those were all secondary functions to the primary mission. So yes, I do have experience in managing staffs, ones probably a bit more complex than these.

As for killing a couple salaries and the magazine, I can't say it's not an idea that should be seriously considered. As you (I think) have pointed out, times are tough and non-profit revenues are dropping all over. How can we justify the same staff levels when there's fewer $$ coming in the door? Especially since people are typically one of the larger expenses - over 20% in the case of AMA.

I was merely trying to differentiate between the penalty for filing a report for internal use and the penalty for filing a report to the government. There's a vastly different level of accountability between the two. Perjury being the most obvious one.
Rather than picking one data point from 2 years ago, I'll wait for the experts and pros to answer any questions or concerns I have. Overall I have no concerns about the viability and financial strength of the organization. Nor would I mention does ANY of the district VPs.....even the ones currently running for office.

So for me I'll just view this as another data point or two pulled out and used to stir up more unrest/concern. If I saw this being brought up by any members if the EC over the past two years I'd be more concerned.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:05 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by init4fun
As many have said over the years;get rid of the rag.it can't be generating much if any profit. This data reinforces that it's a looser..
Old 08-13-2016, 03:16 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by astrohog
Is your entire purpose here to berate and belittle people that don't necessarily agree with you?

The vast majority of your posts overwhelmingly suggest so.

Astro
Oh come on. You should know by now that over here Tom is a self-appointed expert in all things AMA and one of the flag wavers. I'm surprised his sidekick hasn't shown up yet to assist in the verbal attacks !
Old 08-13-2016, 03:53 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
. I'm surprised his sidekick hasn't shown up yet to assist in the verbal attacks !
Can't he was shown the door by Ken. He's now flying solo.
Mike
Old 08-13-2016, 05:35 AM
franklin_m

Rather than picking one data point from 2 years ago, I'll wait for the experts and pros to answer any questions or concerns I have. Overall I have no concerns about the viability and financial strength of the organization. Nor would I mention does ANY of the district VPs.....even the ones currently running for office.

So for me I'll just view this as another data point or two pulled out and used to stir up more unrest/concern. If I saw this being brought up by any members if the EC over the past two years I'd be more concerned.

That's fine.

- But I think it's a valid question why the internal reporting tells us one set of numbers about the magazine, while they're telling the IRS something different?

- I've also shown, in other posts, that based on IRS990 data, their membership revenue has been dropping every year for the past several years. I don't see that in the EC minutes either, yet the filings exist, the numbers are there, and they're undeniable. By your implication above, because it's not being discussed, then it's not a problem? I don't think that's a valid test. Enron wasn't expressing any concern, and we know how that turned out.

- I don't understand the reference about picking a data point from two years ago. That's the most recent financial data filed with the IRS, as the haven't apparently filed the 2015 data yet. But now that you mention it, I'll put in another IRS request for it and see what they say.

Asking questions about filings is what members should be doing, And it shouldn't be met with mockery, sarcasm, or "there's nothing to see here folks, move along," by Leader Members. I'd think those recognized for their leadership in the organization would be all about factually addressing these concerns, not mocking them.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:48 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:14 AM
franklin_m

As many have said over the years;get rid of the rag.it can't be generating much if any profit. This data reinforces that it's a looser..
For those that want to do the math for themselves, here's where to go.

Although the easiest thing to do would be to post the AMA financial report to members side by side with the IRS990 for the same year, I'd probably get reported for sharing members' only information in a public forum.

So, I'll just tell AMA members where to find it, what lines to add in the AMA report, and what to compare them against in the IRS report.

1. Log into AMA site, select "Members Only," then select "Annual Financial Statements"
2. Open/download the "2014 Financial Statement"
3. Go to page 4
4. Add up the "Revenue" from PP, MA Advertising, and MA Subscriptions.
5. On same page, add up "Expenses" from PP & MA
6. Download 2014 IRS 990 from the link in the OP this thread
7. Go to Part VIII, Statement of Revenue. "Aviation Magazine" was reported as $1,153,233
8. Go to Part IX, Statement of Functional Expenses. "Model Aviation Magazine" reported $2,597,872

Take value obtained in step 4 and subtract value obtained in step 5. That's what AMA is telling the members about the magazine revenue vs. expenses.

Take the value from step 7 and subtract the value in step 8. That's what AMA told IRS about the magazine revenue vs. expenses. (loss of $1,444,639)

Why tell members one thing and tell the IRS something else?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Might want to hold off on that....spend some time checking out more current data and you'll see the "rag" is actually a profit center for them .
Old 08-13-2016, 06:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Would be nice if Ken had shown both of em the door , see this nice helpful post , a typical example of what our resident supposed LM likes to post ? I intend to take a sampling of a whole bunch of the best ones , just like this one here , and send them in to the AMA with a question of if this is really how an LM is supposed to "lead" ?
Awe-what..if onlyKken would ban everyone you have long-standing grudges against right? Oh what a great place RCU would be where everyone would agree that the AMA is horrible. I would suggest listening to Ken's previous suggestions. You'll note that the two folks here that seem to have diametrically opposed opinions are able to have an ongoing discussion without resorting to these Petty Antics that you seem to engage in. I know Brian's stopping by will probably invigorate you but really trying not to make yet another thread all about you and your personality conflict with me.

I see you now have a fascination with the leader member status. Is this jealousy or just a genuine interest in the position ? With all of the years you have in the AMA instead of trying to make it yet another point of contention why not step up and become a leading member yourself. At a minimum you can show Franklin all the warmth and openness that he seeks from leader members. It's a rewarding designation and if you want some help filling out the paperwork let me know I'll be happy to help.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-13-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:54 AM
init4fun

For those that want to do the math for themselves, here's where to go.

Although the easiest thing to do would be to post the AMA financial report to members side by side with the IRS990 for the same year, I'd probably get reported for sharing members' only information in a public forum.

So, I'll just tell AMA members where to find it, what lines to add in the AMA report, and what to compare them against in the IRS report.

1. Log into AMA site, select "Members Only," then select "Annual Financial Statements"
2. Open/download the "2014 Financial Statement"
3. Go to page 4
4. Add up the "Revenue" from PP, MA Advertising, and MA Subscriptions.
5. On same page, add up "Expenses" from PP & MA
6. Download 2014 IRS 990 from the link in the OP this thread
7. Go to Part VIII, Statement of Revenue. "Aviation Magazine" was reported as $1,153,233
8. Go to Part IX, Statement of Functional Expenses. "Model Aviation Magazine" reported $2,597,872

Take value obtained in step 4 and subtract value obtained in step 5. That's what AMA is telling the members about the magazine revenue vs. expenses.

Take the value from step 7 and subtract the value in step 8. That's what AMA told IRS about the magazine revenue vs. expenses. (loss of $1,444,639)

Why tell members one thing and tell the IRS something else?
Wow . Simply Wow .

Again , Thank You Franklin for finding these differences in the figures ! It's things like this that put it into clear as day focus why we have people here who try to put up "anti-AMA people" smokescreens to divide the members into arguing among themselves , it takes folks' attention away from things such as this difference in accounting that REALLY bears looking in to . I do have a tax professional in my family , a "CPA" for anyone who knows what that is (I don't) that will be shown these figures and asked what the logical reason for the difference would be . Could it be an accounting mistake ? Could it be something fraudulent that's done to deceive either the IRS or the membership as to the actual financial status of our organization ? Either way , being close enough to this tax person to know that when the figures ARE found to be wrong , for whatever reason mistake or intentional misreporting , an "amended return" is supposed to get sent in to rectify the figures , should the AMA be notified to correct this mistake in figures before it gets to the IRS , who just LOVES to levy penalties & interest on misreported tax returns ?

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Almost all of the information folks want is right there for the taking. If it's not, just ask for it
Old 08-13-2016, 07:04 AM
franklin_m

Almost all of the information folks want is right there for the taking. If it's not, just ask for it
Who exactly should a member ask to get an explanation why the financial report says one thing and the IRS filing for the same year says something else?

I just want your expert opinion, lest I later be told I didn't ask the right person. So I'm turning to you, as a Leader Member, to direct me where / whom to ask.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:04 AM
init4fun

Someone who works with taxes is who I plan on asking .

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 AM
franklin_m

Might want to hold off on that....spend some time checking out more current data and you'll see the "rag" is actually a profit center for them .
Where is that data? Please cite source vs. merely making the statement.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:07 AM
init4fun

Who exactly should a member ask to get an explanation why the financial report says one thing and the IRS filing for the same year says something else?

I just want your expert opinion, lest I later be told I didn't ask the right person. So I'm turning to you, as a Leader Member, to direct me where / whom to ask.
I intend to ask a tax professional this afternoon , and I WILL be posting what gets told to me ....

In Fact , Franklin , Since I will not have my own computer with me when I go visit my relative this afternoon/evening , could you please PM me the figures that you were leery to post in open forum ? I will print the page on paper with all the figures and ask what the reason for this difference would most likely look to the IRS .

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 AM
franklin_m

I intend to ask a tax professional this afternoon , and I WILL be posting what gets told to me ....

In Fact , Franklin , Since I will not have my own computer with me when I go visit my relative this afternoon/evening , could you please PM me the figures that you were leery to post in open forum ? I will print the page on paper with all the figures and ask what the reason for this difference would most likely look to the IRS .
I hope you understand, but in an abundance of caution, because I know some would like nothing more than to have reason for AMA to boot me, I'd prefer not to do that. Merely ask this:

The non-profit produces two magazines that it sends to members and subscribers. In the financial report prepared by their auditing form, they report revenue and expense for these magazines. Yet in the IRS 990, revenue and expenses are different - considerably.

Why revenue and expenses be different depending on whether it's an internal report or a federal filing?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:07 AM
init4fun

I hope you understand, but in an abundance of caution, because I know some would like nothing more than to have reason for AMA to boot me, I'd prefer not to do that. Merely ask this:

The non-profit produces two magazines that it sends to members and subscribers. In the financial report prepared by their auditing form, they report revenue and expense for these magazines. Yet in the IRS 990, revenue and expenses are different - considerably.

Why revenue and expenses be different depending on whether it's an internal report or a federal filing?
Thank You Franklin , you have framed the question perfectly for me , and I will ask it in the exact way you just stated and post back the CPA's answer . I do understand the abundance of caution , grudges seem to run pretty deep in some of these parts and I don't blame you one bit for not taking any chances . Hopefully it will be early evening when I will return with the answer , traffic depending ...

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

It will be interesting to see if the Internet sleuths and "I know an accountant" folks find something the IRS missed in a recent audit of the AMA. I'm betting not, but you never know!! I also find it a bit ironic this intense interest in the AMA's tax returns and yet a person who is running for the most powerful leader in the Free World is being given a pass on releasing his returns, like every single Presidential Candidate has done since the early 70's.

Oh well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.