Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:57 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
It will be interesting to see if the Internet sleuths and "I know an accountant" folks find something the IRS missed in a recent audit of the AMA. I'm betting not, but you never know!! I also find it a bit ironic this intense interest in the AMA's tax returns and yet a person who is running for the most powerful leader in the Free World is being given a pass on releasing his returns, like every single Presidential Candidate has done since the early 70's.

Oh well.
You seem to take issue with members asking why internal reports give one set of numbers and IRS reports give another. Are we not allowed to ask? That seems to be what you're implying with disparaging comments like "internet sleuths" or bringing up issues unrelated to AMA's financial statements.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:43 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Almost forgot.....HAPPY MODEL AVIATION DAY.

Hope everyone gets some flying in and celebrates this great hobby!

Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

It will be interesting to see if the Internet sleuths and "I know an accountant" folks find something the IRS missed in a recent audit of the AMA. I'm betting not, but you never know!! I also find it a bit ironic this intense interest in the AMA's tax returns and yet a person who is running for the most powerful leader in the Free World is being given a pass on releasing his returns, like every single Presidential Candidate has done since the early 70's.

Oh well.
Lol.

And now another set up for nefarious activity from the ama...getting kicked out for reporting public information. I can't deny it...I love seeing one conspiracy theory after another. Sort of like the national election...."if i lose its because the fix is in".

Lol..endless entertainment, and free!
Old 08-13-2016, 03:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Who exactly should a member ask to get an explanation why the financial report says one thing and the IRS filing for the same year says something else?

I just want your expert opinion, lest I later be told I didn't ask the right person. So I'm turning to you, as a Leader Member, to direct me where / whom to ask.
Geez Franklin...is this really you? Hard to distinguish between the others now. Are you really asking or just putting on a show for the fans?

In case you're serious you can start with your district VPs, or go right to Chad, or perhaps the appropriate person in Muncie. I'll be happy to connect you with the right person if you really want
Old 08-13-2016, 03:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Someone who works with taxes is who I plan on asking .
That's probably the best choice.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Where is that data? Please cite source vs. merely making the statement.
Sorry...Leader Member only newsletter.

I've already provided the source at least once, probably twice in other threads. Not inclined to dig it up again, so you can take it with the usual grain of salt.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Would be nice if Ken had shown both of em the door , see this nice helpful post , a typical example of what our resident supposed LM likes to post ? I intend to take a sampling of a whole bunch of the best ones , just like this one here , and send them in to the AMA with a question of if this is really how an LM is supposed to "lead" ?
Lol. Just ask Ken
Old 08-13-2016, 03:21 PM
franklin_m

The rich irony of this post is deeply amusing coming from a person who prefers to comment from behind the wall of anonymity.
Like "Silent-AV8R?"
Old 08-13-2016, 03:24 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Geez Franklin...is this really you? Hard to distinguish between the others now. Are you really asking or just putting on a show for the fans?

In case you're serious you can start with your district VPs, or go right to Chad, or perhaps the appropriate person in Muncie. I'll be happy to connect you with the right person if you really want

Well, you should recall the criticism I got for other questions to HQ. Not asking the right person, or emailing when I should have called, etc. So I figured I'd just ask a Leader Member up front.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:26 PM
franklin_m

Sorry...Leader Member only newsletter.

I've already provided the source at least once, probably twice in other threads. Not inclined to dig it up again, so you can take it with the usual grain of salt.

Leader member only info. The serfs are told only what the nobility decides they need to know.

Sure tells me a lot about how much the AMA values the rank and file members.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Anyone can get banned from RCU just ask Porcia83.

Mike
Uh Mike...you are swinging for the low ball shot and still missing. I know folks are wishing I was banned from RCU, but i think I'm still here. At least for now, but if I was asked to leave, well that would be it.

Before you get high and mighty about mod actions from other sites ( which really have nothing to do with this site or subject matter) keep in mind there's at least one person here in this thread that was banned from that place not once but twice under different names

Last edited by porcia83; 08-13-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well, you should recall the criticism I got for other questions to HQ. Not asking the right person, or emailing when I should have called, etc. So I figured I'd just ask a Leader Member up front.
Well, I guess that's how it will be. Truly disappointing. I get the vitriol from the others, didn't see it coming from you. I guess you'll be trying to weaponize the leader member status going forward. You do realize how that looks right?

If you want some names I'm happy to get them for you.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:41 PM
porcia83
Banned

The rich irony of this post is deeply amusing coming from a person who prefers to comment from behind the wall of anonymity.
I don't really have a problem with people using handles or sign on names at a website given the amount of scary individuals that one might encounter online. The irony or perhaps hypocrisy is those folks purposefully using people's first and last names as a personal sort of dig.

And yet another thread descends into personal attacks and intolerance because of a difference of opinion.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:26 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok , here's what was said ;

Any company , especially one subject to public examination of it's financial records like a non profit is would not be immediately suspected of wrongdoing in an instance such as this by the IRS and as long as all the other records were kosher , it would be taken as a simple accounting error if the difference was discovered for instance during an audit . Now if the error ended up causing the company to owe the IRS then of course an amended return would be expected to be filed . If , however , there were multiple errors across multiple years , and especially if the errors resulted in less taxable earnings reported to the IRS , then thing could "get dicey" was the term used . Now whomever discovered the difference in figures would be well advised to send copies of the internal report and the 990 filing to the CFO to see to it that the difference in the reports is corrected .

So , since I highly doubt from the answer I got that the difference in figures is intentional , It sure sounds like someone likely put the wrong figure in the wrong line someplace and it should be easily correctable . I am honestly relieved to have heard that it's far more likely a mistake , I really do think our organization is better than and above the intentional under reporting of earnings to evade taxes .

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:54 PM
porcia83
Banned

Leader member only info. The serfs are told only what the nobility decides they need to know.

Sure tells me a lot about how much the AMA values the rank and file members.
Lost your sense of humor too eh? I'd tell you we have a secret handshake and language too, but i think at this point you would believe it. Next thing you know we'd have a poll asking if people thought it was true.

But seriously nothing I ( or anyone else for that matter ) could say or ever do would change the way you feel about the AMA. Your set with your beliefs and the only real change that's been noted over the past ten plus years is more complaints, suspicions, and now conspiracy theories. We believe what we believe right?
Old 08-13-2016, 04:58 PM
franklin_m

Well, I guess that's how it will be. Truly disappointing. I get the vitriol from the others, didn't see it coming from you. I guess you'll be trying to weaponize the leader member status going forward. You do realize how that looks right?

If you want some names I'm happy to get them for you.
Vitriol? Hardly. It's a reaction to how I was treated the last time I posted here about asking questions of HQ and not getting an answer. As I recall, you were one of the ones very engaged in saying I should have contacted an AVP, or the VP, or called to follow up, etc.

So yes please. Who would I need to contact?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:02 PM
franklin_m

Lost your sense of humor too eh? I'd tell you we have a secret handshake and language too, but i think at this point you would believe it. Next thing you know we'd have a poll asking if people thought it was true.

But seriously nothing I ( or anyone else for that matter ) could say or ever do would change the way you feel about the AMA. Your set with your beliefs and the only real change that's been noted over the past ten plus years is more complaints, suspicions, and now conspiracy theories. We believe what we believe right?
Hardly. I come from a rough line of life where strongly held opinions are common.

AMA could easily change my opinion. But I'd expect the first steps would be some of its leadership recognizing that the only thing worse than people asking hard question is when nobody is asking questions. And instead of mocking, belittling, or berating them, maybe a different approach?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hardly. I come from a rough line of life where strongly held opinions are common.

AMA could easily change my opinion. But I'd expect the first steps would be some of its leadership recognizing that the only thing worse than people asking hard question is when nobody is asking questions. And instead of mocking, belittling, or berating them, maybe a different approach?
The ama has mocked you? Oh wait...I'm going to be your face of the AMA now, so when I disagree with you the AMA does? Right, saw that one coming. You'll have yet another thing to complain about now. Bio means if you've seen me speak officially on behalf of the AMA you let me know, I've never done it because I don't speak on their behalf even though I am a LM. Again, this will be your twist and spin on the issue I'm sure.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:24 PM
porcia83
Banned

Vitriol? Hardly. It's a reaction to how I was treated the last time I posted here about asking questions of HQ and not getting an answer. As I recall, you were one of the ones very engaged in saying I should have contacted an AVP, or the VP, or called to follow up, etc.

I'll be happy to send that information over to you probably won't be tonight though.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:10 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might try googling "related business." I think the magazine falls into that category.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:23 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
You might try googling "related business." I think the magazine falls into that category.
Well aware of the "related business" concept, and those numbers are on the IRS990T, which I have 2014's filing as well. Bottom line:

AMA reported one set of numbers to members on page 4 of the 2014 financial reports
AMA reported another set of numbers on their 2014 IRS990
AMA reported yet another set of numbers on their 2014 IRS99T

The total reported to IRS, 990 + 990T, doesn't match what AMA reported to members
The IRS990 doesn't match what AMA reported to members
The IRS990T doesn't match what AMA reported to members
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IRS990 and IRS990T Summary.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	2176835  

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-14-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:26 AM
franklin_m

The ama has mocked you? Oh wait...I'm going to be your face of the AMA now....
In terms of decorum and how leadership views questions from the rank and file? Yes.
In terms of how rank and file members are treated, at the field or in forums? Yes.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:12 AM
init4fun

Ok , here's what was said ;

Any company , especially one subject to public examination of it's financial records like a non profit is would not be immediately suspected of wrongdoing in an instance such as this by the IRS and as long as all the other records were kosher , it would be taken as a simple accounting error if the difference was discovered for instance during an audit . Now if the error ended up causing the company to owe the IRS then of course an amended return would be expected to be filed . If , however , there were multiple errors across multiple years , and especially if the errors resulted in less taxable earnings reported to the IRS , then thing could "get dicey" was the term used . Now whomever discovered the difference in figures would be well advised to send copies of the internal report and the 990 filing to the CFO to see to it that the difference in the reports is corrected .

So , since I highly doubt from the answer I got that the difference in figures is intentional , It sure sounds like someone likely put the wrong figure in the wrong line someplace and it should be easily correctable . I am honestly relieved to have heard that it's far more likely a mistake , I really do think our organization is better than and above the intentional under reporting of earnings to evade taxes .

In case anyone missed this during the page change I thought I'd repost it here ......

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 AM
franklin_m

Per the 2014 IRS 990, Schedule A, Part III, line 15, 94.4 percent of AMA's revenue comes from "public support"

In terms of where the money goes, here's a breakdown by percentage of expenses listed on IRS 990 Part IX Lines 1-24e

Of note:
53.2% of the money goes to two places: Magazine & employee costs

$100K in travel
$960K, or 9.8%, in "All other expenses" (non categorized)

Grants (scholarships I think) are 0.33%, roughly 1/3 what they spend on travel, and 1/10 what they spend on conferences and meetings
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA Expense Percentages.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	2176850  

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-14-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:38 AM
init4fun

Franklin , between "Marketing 4%" which is green and "All other expenses 10%" which is yellow , there is a blue slice of pie unlabeled and without a percentage listed of it's share of the entire 360 degrees of the pie . Is there something missing there ?

Last edited by RCKen; 08-15-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.