Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:03 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
As for the mag stats, they are out there somewhere. They too were taken from financial reports and were discussed here (in the AMA threads). I'll seek apologies for not going back to find a single data point so as to re-argue the issue. I know it's out there, where is the question. Someone can look it up I'm sure, or just completely discount it.
Somebody else can look it up to make your point. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Somebody else can look it up to make your point. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.
Well, some folks love to count posts, others love to read 'em....to each their own.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:47 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I don't know why someone would take issue with comparing public statements with formal filed documents, but apparently some do. Should we not question when we're told X dollars of our money was spent on something, then we find IRS documents that show only 1/4 of that was spend as they said? Should we not expect them to represent accurate numbers to the members? Apparently not.
Maybe because of different ways of filing taxes, that can benefit the organization, is why what is filled is different than the independent auditor report.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Yes, I think that's exactly the case. I'd prefer to see the independent reports, as well as the IRS ones in order to determine what has happened, and what will or should happen in the future. The AMA has a CFO on hand and uses banks and accounting firms to assist with an monitor their transactions.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TimJ
Maybe because of different ways of filing taxes, that can benefit the organization, is why what is filled is different than the independent auditor report.
I all reality we really shouldn't look that hard for accurate information but what do I know..........................................

Mike
Old 08-19-2016, 02:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I all reality we really shouldn't look that hard for accurate information but what do I know..........................................

Mike
Well, for one thing it appears that when the AMA gets net proceeds of $50,000 and more members from a program, that seems to be a bad result. Even though the numbers are accurate, and posted in black and white, they are somehow a bad thing.

Or that an increase in overall paid membership, and a 99% renewal rate are also somehow a negative.

One doesn't really have to look that hard for accurate, or good information for that matter. It's out there.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 AM
TimJ

Mike
Why can't people take the independent auditor for their word? Why is there a belief that some sort of conspiracy is happening?

Why the mistrust in the facts from the auditor? It just does not make sense to me. The EC isn't stealing from the organization. Okay, so what, folks have a differing opinion on how the organization's money is spent. I get it. Voice your opinion to your district VP. Not good enough for you? Get a group of people to hound your district VP. Still not good enough? Then volunteer and put in some sweat equity towards the organization to help guide it into the direction you think is better.

Seriously............
Old 08-22-2016, 12:45 PM
rcmiket

Then volunteer and put in some sweat equity towards the organization to help guide it into the direction you think is better.

Seriously............
Been doing that for years.Now if everything is so honky dory in the AMA world why are 1/2 of the candidates running for president running on a change in direction platform?
Mike
Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 PM
TimJ

Been doing that for years.Now if everything is so honky dory in the AMA world why are 1/2 of the candidates running for president running on a change in direction platform?
Mike
Never said the AMA was perfect. There is always room for improvement.

Because some of the candidates are dated or playing politics? Clearly those playing on a platform of change don't seem to have a complete pulse on the world of model aviation, AMA programs, new generation of tech etc.........
Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike
And related, why all of this interest in this election? If everything is going so swimmingly, why the interest?

BTW I saw a professional drone site with an "anybody but Tougas" message...

Badge of honor if you ask me!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Probably because "change" is a great general slogan that people love to hear, and politicians love to talk about. Out with the old, in with the new. Not the samo samo. Didn't Harville run on the same platform of "change", and what has changed so far in his District? Have you looked at his voting record? Almost every vote for the past few years as been unanimous! Looks identical to the last guys. And Tougas sort of ran the same way in his last election. Did anything change in his District? The few comments that have been made about him would seem to indicate nothing changed.

"change" seems to be an empty slogan without specific details. What do they think didn't happen the way it should have, what are their plans to make it better, and how will they determine if they are successful or not. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
And related, why all of this interest in this election? If everything is going so swimmingly, why the interest?

Wait what? Why all the interest in the election? Is that rhetorical? That 4 people want to run should be good no? some of the "interest" was generated by one of the candidates himself, complaining that he wasn't on the ballot. That, and it's a very critical time for the hobby, that would be my guess for the interest in this election.

Interesting comment on the drone site, I guess they haven't read all of the campaign statements yet! Although the Northeast seems to have the biggest cluster of MR/Quad purchase and interest, California isn't that far behind. I wonder if he has a good pulse check on the constituency out there? Tougas may want to add that comment to his campaign site and statement, lol.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:40 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83
Although the Northeast seems to have the biggest cluster of MR/Quad purchase and interest, California isn't that far behind. I wonder if he has a good pulse check on the constituency out there? Tougas may want to add that comment to his campaign site and statement, lol.
Actually I think Tougas does have a good pulse and is only running on an anti drone campaign because many of old guard of fixed wing complained about the new technology. An effort to gain votes. But yet, I know Tougas worked pretty good at getting a few new drone only clubs together or asked his AVPs to help guide these new clubs through the AMA waters.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:43 PM
TimJ

Would you like to share a link with us? Why would a "professional drone" site have any care about non commercial organizations such as the AMA?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Actually I think Tougas does have a good pulse and is only running on an anti drone campaign because many of old guard of fixed wing complained about the new technology. An effort to gain votes. But yet, I know Tougas worked pretty good at getting a few new drone only clubs together or asked his AVPs to help guide these new clubs through the AMA waters.
Without knowing him as you do, I would agree in general, I think a politician has to try to appeal to the broadest audience possible. I'm glad to hear that he worked towards something that his constituents wanted though, whether he "bought in" or not.
Would you like to share a link with us? Why would a "professional drone" site have any care about non commercial organizations such as the AMA?
Doubtful you'll see one, perhaps it's the same source that noted the AMA was only getting $50.00 a head for the BB program (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Old 08-22-2016, 03:31 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure thing

sUAS News

http://www.suasnews.com/2016/08/lawr...t-just-say-no/
Old 08-22-2016, 05:11 PM
TimJ

Excellent! Thank you.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 PM
rcmiket

Wow.

Mike
Old 08-22-2016, 05:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

Wow.

Mike
Guess the haven't seen Tiano's campaign statement(s) yet.

Not a shocker to see them taking this position, but as Tim noted earlier about some of Tougass' work, I wonder if this author/writer knows about all of the work Tougas has done, or is just focusing in on one aspect of his platform.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:37 AM
franklin_m

One doesn't need to look any farther than Enron to know that just because you have "independent auditors" does not mean the numbers are accurate. I tend to trust the IRS numbers.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 AM
franklin_m

Why can't people take the independent auditor for their word? Why is there a belief that some sort of conspiracy is happening?

Why the mistrust in the facts from the auditor?
Enron had "independent auditor(s)".
Old 08-23-2016, 04:42 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
He's not going to provide it because he can't cite the source.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Enron had "independent auditor(s)".
So now you accuse the AMA of hiring a paid hired gun to do their cheating for them? You are now officially a conspiracy theorist!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

it is what it is...just another data point to argue over, lol. Even black and white numbers get disputed now.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So now you accuse the AMA of hiring a paid hired gun to do their cheating for them? You are now officially a conspiracy theorist!
No. Just pointing out that "independent auditor" does not guarantee the numbers are perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.