Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Interesting data on 2014 AMA Financial/tax statement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So now you accuse the AMA of hiring a paid hired gun to do their cheating for them? You are now officially a conspiracy theorist!
Now?
Old 08-23-2016, 05:11 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
it is what it is...just another data point to argue over, lol. Even black and white numbers get disputed now.
When "black and white" numbers to the members do not match the "black and white" numbers reported to the IRS, some think that's worth questioning.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
No. Just pointing out that "independent auditor" does not guarantee the numbers are perfect.
is there such a thing as perfect numbers? The results are almost always disputed, even more so if they appear positive.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 AM
franklin_m

is there such a thing as perfect numbers? The results are almost always disputed, even more so if they appear positive.
They should agree, and they don't.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Well, I'll wait to get the official word from those folks who deal with perfect numbers...the IRS. When they say something is wrong, then perhaps we can say something is wrong. Of course, the IRS has had their own issues and opportunities in the past as well. Meanwhile, the "questioning" will continue as it has for more than a decade. Haven't seen an instance yet where there was anything ever found to be incorrect.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:40 AM
franklin_m

Meanwhile, the "questioning" will continue as it has for more than a decade.
Do you ever stop to ask why, if everything is so great, why do folks keep "questioning?"
Old 08-23-2016, 05:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Do you ever stop to ask why, if everything is so great, why do folks keep "questioning?"
Interesting logic. If a small group of people keep asking questions, there must be something wrong? Sort of self fulfilling circular logic there no?

I've never said nor claimed that "everything is great", nor has anyone else here for that matter. As for why people keep questioning, the answer is simple. Because we are inquisitive by nature. Nothing wrong with questioning things, even on minutia, like say the cost of a lapel pin.

The thing is though...most of those questions are asked here, and are postured more as statements than actual questions. And when the aren't answered here, the conspiracy theories start going, and basically feed themselves.

The best place to ask is on the AMA blogs if you want an official answer from the AMA. Or better yet the district AVPs, and VPs. They have historically been pretty responsive from what I see in the blogs as well as when I've asked them questions.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:01 AM
franklin_m

I've never said nor claimed that "everything is great", nor has anyone else here for that matter.
I can't remember a single substantive issue with which you've disagreed with the AMA. On the other hand, these pages are full of examples where you're quick and prolific in your defense of AMA against any criticism.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:02 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets just say people that actually care want to know and have every right to ask, although were publicly criticized for even thinking about asking any questions at all..
Now for the first time I can remember we have 1/2 of the people running for AMA President on the "if your not happy with things ticket vote for them". Now that's interesting.
Please remember that everything's just fine please shut up and move on.

Mike
Old 08-23-2016, 06:04 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Lets just say people that actually care want to know and have every right to ask. Although were publicly criticized for even thinking about asking any questions at all..
Now for the first time I can remember we have 1/2 of the people running for AMA President on the "if your not happy with things ticket vote for them". Now that's interesting.

Mike

I find it interesting as well, the half the people running thing.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Lets just say people that actually care want to know and have every right to ask, although were publicly criticized for even thinking about asking any questions at all..

Mike
Nobody has ever claimed people don't have a right to ask, nor were criticized for asking questions. Oddly enough though, I've been severely criticized for asking questions of one candidate. I guess I'll say I actually care, and want to know, and have every right to ask right?

I'm a big believer in getting out as much information as possible, and that's one of the main reasons I asked Ken to get those threads up and running. I'm glad he did it, as well as reaching out to the AMA.

I find it interesting as well, the half the people running thing.
Since the dawn of time, candidates have run on that same premise of change. I'll do better than the last guy, just elect me. Tired of the samo samo, then I'm your man. Do you want change, put me into office and I'll do it.

Harville did the exact thing last year for District 8. Have we seen any substantive change now? I will say I like the D8 MA page changes, he's highlighting the AVPs and their work int he district. But in terms of real change, not so much. Check out the voting record so far.

Tougas ran on the same platform of change for D10. Hows that "change" thing worked for him? Check out the voting record first..it's the same as it's always been. The universal feedback (at least here) from his constituents, is not good. Nothing really changed, and his campaign promises were not kept.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the other two candidates aren't looking for wholesale change, so why run on that platform? Both have been involved in the AMA (just as Tougas has) and probably don't think any wholesale change is needed. They might have a more accurate pulse check on what the majority of members want...the samo samo. They want to go to the field and fly, and have their "insurance", and have fun. In the past two years nothing drastic has changed for the membership. They still fly where they want, when they want, and with the machines they want. Other than spending 5 minutes registering (and many did this for free), that's the sum total of change that has directly affected the membership. That's it.

Do they really think something is going to change by someone coming in with a "us versus them" strategy? It simply won't happen.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Good numbers wrong, bad numbers right.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

I can't remember a single substantive issue with which you've disagreed with the AMA. On the other hand, these pages are full of examples where you're quick and prolific in your defense of AMA against any criticism.
I can't remember a single substantive issue with which you've agreed with the AMA. Actually, lets take out "substantive" as a qualifier. Forget big picture, you've gone from big picture issues to nit picking spelling errors on a website page, or a dead link, or the cost of pins they sent out to club officers.

And that's fine by the way, it's your prerogative.

As for "quick and prolific defense", that's your narrative and opinion and your entitled to it. That's the usual response, I'm used to it. It's not factual imo. Showing an alternative viewpoint, countering misinformation, or providing context is just that.

But yes, you are absolutely correct, I have absolutely no issue at all with any substantive issues (whatever that is) with the AMA. None. I think they do a fantastic job overall. I'm happy to be a member, have no problem paying my dues, and in addition, regularly donate additional funds to them for various programs. I've also volunteered my personal time working the flight simulator trailer at an event, I found it very rewarding. That being said, I've noted several opportunities where they can make improvements, both here and directly with my DVP, as well as the members of the EC when I've seen them at events. All have been very receptive to my comments. Perhaps it's about the message delivery.

If I contrast that with the outlook and actions others have taken regarding the AMA over the past 5,10,15 years...and the results of that, I'm o/k with my opinion on the AMA, name-calling, titles, and characterizations notwithstanding.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:54 AM
TimJ

They should agree, and they don't.
There are a number or reasons why the number should not agree. But since you are a professional account I guess we will have to go by your word.

Now, since you seem like a professional accountant, why don't you set up an appointment with the AMA accountant and check out the numbers for yourself. Then you can report back to here as to what tax programs the AMA took advantage of due to owning real property, a magazine, a trade show, donations to many different youth organizations, etc..........All of these items fall into different areas when filling for taxes. Until you've done so, then questioning the numbers filed with the IRS vs the independent audit is just a reason for you to ***** and argue, nothing more.

You can take your non trusting conspiracy rubbish elsewhere, thank you.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 AM
franklin_m

I can't remember a single substantive issue with which you've agreed with the AMA. Actually, lets take out "substantive" as a qualifier. Forget big picture, you've gone from big picture issues to nit picking spelling errors on a website page, or a dead link, or the cost of pins they sent out to club officers.
Is raising dues on 120,000 paying members big enough? In that context, is it not acceptable to question spending? It's not about the errors on a website, but rather those as a symptom of a staff being paid to do a job that's clearly not getting done. It's not about pins, but rather choosing to do that over more lobbying. Those are details that are symptoms of the larger issue - how the organization prioritizes spending, and whether that prioritization makes sense when you've just jacked up the dues.

But yes, you are absolutely correct, I have absolutely no issue at all with any substantive issues (whatever that is) with the AMA. None. I think they do a fantastic job overall. I'm happy to be a member, have no problem paying my dues, and in addition, regularly donate additional funds to them for various programs. I've also volunteered my personal time working the flight simulator trailer at an event, I found it very rewarding. That being said, I've noted several opportunities where they can make improvements, both here and directly with my DVP, as well as the members of the EC when I've seen them at events. All have been very receptive to my comments.
Perhaps you'd grace us with those recommendations? I'm most interested in anything where you find the AMA less than perfect. I'd be interested in seeing if I could lend a hand by advocating them to my VP as well.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ
There are a number or reasons why the number should not agree. But since you are a professional account I guess we will have to go by your word.

Now, since you seem like a professional accountant, why don't you set up an appointment with the AMA accountant and check out the numbers for yourself. Then you can report back to here as to what tax programs the AMA took advantage of due to owning real property, a magazine, a trade show, donations to many different youth organizations, etc..........All of these items fall into different areas when filling for taxes. Until you've done so, then questioning the numbers filed with the IRS vs the independent audit is just a reason for you to ***** and argue, nothing more.

You can take your non trusting conspiracy rubbish elsewhere, thank you.

Perhaps if there were more "non trusting" folks asking questions of Enron, many would still have retirement savings.

I trust until I see reason not to trust. When numbers reported to members don't match numbers reported to the IRS, that seems to be ample justification to ask questions.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

Perhaps if there were more "non trusting" folks asking questions of Enron, many would still have retirement savings.

I trust until I see reason not to trust. When numbers reported to members don't match numbers reported to the IRS, that seems to be ample justification to ask questions.
Yes, keep talking about Enron. It's about as on point as the reference by another to slavery. Do you really think the AMA is in an Enron like situation here...or do you just want to keep inferring it over and over hoping to link the two? You can't get numbers to add up so we're going right to Defcon Enron?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 AM
franklin_m

Yes, keep talking about Enron. It's about as on point as the reference by another to slavery. Do you really think the AMA is in an Enron like situation here...or do you just want to keep inferring it over and over hoping to link the two? You can't get numbers to add up so we're going right to Defcon Enron?
The individual insinuated that somehow "non trusting" was bad. In fact, he said I should take it elsewhere. I use Enron as an example of why non-trusting is good - and in fact should be welcomed. As always, organizations that are as good and pure as they say they are have nothing to fear.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

The individual insinuated that somehow "non trusting" was bad. In fact, he said I should take it elsewhere. I use Enron as an example of why non-trusting is good - and in fact should be welcomed. As always, organizations that are as good and pure as they say they are have nothing to fear.
So far I haven't seen any fear on behalf of the AMA, nor attempts to hide antyhing. The EC minutes certainly don't reflect that. Is it possible all these folks who volunteer their time are part of a conspiracy?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I guess I can put my one post here, about as good of spot as any.
Now, my thoughts on a couple of issues:
1) Numbers don't match; seems the AMA needs to be called on the carpet on this one. A simple explanation on why they don't should be easy enough to get, unless they are trying to hide something
2) Magazine is losing money; not a problem. Give members the option of getting it on line or hard copy. For any member that doesn't respond, give it to them on line. That could save thousands on printing costs alone. If someone wants to change their way of receiving the magazine, they can pay the difference(if going to a hard copy) or wait until the end of the membership year
3) Running on the "Time for a change" platform; isn't this what pretty much every candidate uses if they don't already hold the office? Roosevelt used his "New Deal" in the 30s, nothing but a "time for a change" reworded, isn't it? He followed up with how well things were improving over the next election and stayed in office after that due to WWII.
Okay I'm done here
Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 AM
TimJ

Franklin seems to want to debate about non-sense. Bummer
Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Is raising dues on 120,000 paying members big enough? In that context, is it not acceptable to question spending? It's not about the errors on a website, but rather those as a symptom of a staff being paid to do a job that's clearly not getting done. It's not about pins, but rather choosing to do that over more lobbying. Those are details that are symptoms of the larger issue - how the organization prioritizes spending, and whether that prioritization makes sense when you've just jacked up the dues.

_________________porcia83 comments
I'm fine with the increase personally, but I understand why others wouldn't be. I would actually argue they took to long to do it. How they choose to prioritize that is up to them. Not us. Yes, that's right, not us. We are members, not the EC. If we don't like what they have done, we can vote them out. That's our remedy. For better, and what many would say is worse...they lead. They don't take membership pulse checks when they want to buy lapel pins for club officers. The EC as a whole make those decisions. Probably should mention again...those DVP spots aren't paid positions. I don't take a random misspelling of a word on a webpage as a symptom of ineffective leadership and a waste of money, imo.

Also...they probably should have increased it higher, perhaps to 90.00. the fact is that amount would be absorbed without considerable angst (other than the usual complaints) and probably wouldn't have resulted in a huge drop in membership. Heck, this huge increase lead to a 99 percent retention rate, and about 10,000 new members. Yes yes I know, just wait until next year.

I think the dues are fair, you clearly don't. You no longer belong to a club, don't feel there is value for the insurance as it's secondary to your HO coverage...but most importantly were offered a refund on your membership but chose to keep it. I would have to guess you find some value in it then.

_________end of porcia83 comments.

Perhaps you'd grace us with those recommendations? I'm most interested in anything where you find the AMA less than perfect. I'd be interested in seeing if I could lend a hand by advocating them to my VP as well.
Thanks for the offer, I'll pass. It would be a waste of my time and serve no real purpose. I know exactly what I've written here, and discussed in person. You've quoted many if my past comments so I welcome you or others to search them out for my thoughts on what could be improved upon. They are right there in black and white. I'll do my advocating, you do yours.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-23-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Best I could do right now...
Old 08-23-2016, 10:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I guess I can put my one post here, about as good of spot as any.
Now, my thoughts on a couple of issues:
1) Numbers don't match; seems the AMA needs to be called on the carpet on this one. A simple explanation on why they don't should be easy enough to get, unless they are trying to hide something
2) Magazine is losing money; not a problem. Give members the option of getting it on line or hard copy. For any member that doesn't respond, give it to them on line. That could save thousands on printing costs alone. If someone wants to change their way of receiving the magazine, they can pay the difference(if going to a hard copy) or wait until the end of the membership year
3) Running on the "Time for a change" platform; isn't this what pretty much every candidate uses if they don't already hold the office? Roosevelt used his "New Deal" in the 30s, nothing but a "time for a change" reworded, isn't it? He followed up with how well things were improving over the next election and stayed in office after that due to WWII.
Okay I'm done here
All good points. Until an expert says there are problems with the numbers, I'm going to hold off on comment until then. As of now we have one person who has partial, and older information who is alleging this.

Same with the magazine. While it might not have always turned a profit, I'm certain it has since 2014. Nobody us forced to get it, they can opt out, a fact many are ir were not aware of. The electronic mag format is gaining in popularity however it should be mentioned...that is not free. It's not cheap to keep a website of that size and complexity up and running. So even that means of delivery carries a cost.
You are absolutely right on the last point. It's a timeless and universal mantra that's a go to for anyone new running for office. Pick me, I'm new and different and I am all about change.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM
franklin_m

Same with the magazine. While it might not have always turned a profit, I'm certain it has since 2014. Nobody us forced to get it, they can opt out, a fact many are ir were not aware of. The electronic mag format is gaining in popularity however it should be mentioned...that is not free. It's not cheap to keep a website of that size and complexity up and running. So even that means of delivery carries a cost.
Why opt out when it saves you nothing? Now, if they would let me opt out and save the $20 or so a year it represents (as a percentage of my membership), I'd be in for it. I'd even opt out of the electronic version and save them even more!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:23 AM
franklin_m

Thanks for the offer, I'll pass. It would be a waste of my time and serve no real purpose. I know exactly what I've written here, and discussed in person. You've quoted many if my past comments so I welcome you or others to search them out for my thoughts on what could be improved upon. They are right there in black and white. I'll do my advocating, you do yours.
You made your comments look as if they were mine. The paragraphs that begin as follows are not my words:
- "I'm fine with the increase personally..."
- "Also...they probably should have increased it higher..."
- "I think the dues are fair, you clearly don't..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.