Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA EC July 2016 minutes

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA EC July 2016 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
That's a good catch. So they "netted" about $50,000. I had previously noted they got about 600 new members, in reality it was about 1000.
Hopefully way more than that by now.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Yes the ama made some money and enrolled some new members via bb but how do they plan to retain them ? I agree that many of these new members will not renew after the novelty of the quad wears off. What is going to keep them as members? What is the ama's plan?
We all should know membership is fluid; new members join ,then for various reasons(personal, club related,etc...) soon leave with a small percentage returning again.
It's great to go out spend some money and recruit new members but what are you going to do to keep them?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

A lot of people join the AMA when they buy their first model airplane. Wreck it and never re-join. I don't see any difference at all..
Old 08-22-2016, 06:08 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Yes the ama made some money and enrolled some new members via bb but how do they plan to retain them ? I agree that many of these new members will not renew after the novelty of the quad wears off. What is going to keep them as members? What is the ama's plan?
We all should know membership is fluid; new members join ,then for various reasons(personal, club related,etc...) soon leave with a small percentage returning again.
It's great to go out spend some money and recruit new members but what are you going to do to keep them?

I would ask....What are we doing to keep them?

I would have to say their plans to retain new members for MR are going to be same for any other discipline. Promote the hobby as a whole, show members the benefits of belonging to the AMA, and keep them posted via e-mail, websites, and videos, just like they do now. I doubt they will have a specific targeted plane for them that's any different from what they have now for anyone else. Whether the renewal rate is many, few, or none, I'd have to say nothing ventured, nothing gained. At least the AMA did something to appeal to them. I'm not aware of any other program that targeted new membership that had these results (other than the Google leads which have already been criticized as pandering to new members, over 10,000 of which joined)

Just as important as the AMA, local clubs and members have an equal ability to help attract and retain membership, If anything, how it goes at the club level will be more of a determining factor if someone might stay in the hobby or not. Is the new member welcomed with their ______ (quad, drone,foamy,heli). Does the club even look for new members? Is the club "exclusive, invite only"? Have they closed membership? Do they exclude "drones" and even helis. Any training programs for noobs, or kids? Anyone willing to help after the first crash? Any community programs, etc etc etc. Only so much a national organization can do to get people to join up, this should really be a club initiative as well.

**Forgot to mention the comment about what happens after the novelty of the quads wear off. I agree that's going to happen, but again that might happen with heli or fixed wing too. But it has happened already at our club over the past year. The funny thing is when they got over the initial interest (and like the rest of us, many went all in with new quads) then slowly migrated to fixed wing. Most went the standard route of foamy trainers, Bixlers, Apprentice etc, and some have even gotten into larger scale 3D planes and even some 70-90 mm ducted fan jets. It's been a great opportunity for a few of us at the club who are always buying and selling. Although we allowed helis in the club there was some apprehension about the MR guys joining and "taking over the club", but that of course did not happen. Probably 85% of the membership is fixed wing, 10% helis, and 5% MR only. We'll get those 5 over to fixed wing eventually, lol.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-22-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
A lot of people join the AMA when they buy their first model airplane. Wreck it and never re-join. I don't see any difference at all..
Absolutely, 100%. Didn't look like the new member retention issue was ever a concern to this degree in the past but because this program has targeted the MR/Drown crowd suddenly we are worried about how many will stick with the AMA afterwards? That metric may be hard to quantify if any of these folks migrate over the fixed wing or heli as well. I noted earlier, a better analysis (assuming these BB members stay strictly with MR) would be to take those new members and look at the drop/retention rate as "new members". Then we would need to see all the other news membership numbers and at the end of the year look at those retention/drop rates. Now we have two more accurate sets of numbers to review and compare. I would say the numbers would be similar.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:53 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more concerned about the plan to retain the 54,668 youth members ( when they come of age) than I am about 900 that got the free membership through BB.

Mike
Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Thats a tough fight, airplane's aren't cooler than girls at that age
Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
You got that right.

Mike
Old 08-22-2016, 07:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm more concerned about the plan to retain the 54,668 youth members ( when they come of age) than I am about 900 that got the free membership through BB.

Mike
I'm more concerned with what local clubs are doing to retain membership, or for that matter what they have done to attract youth membership. There is only so much the AMA can do to get new members and based on the meeting notes and reactions here, everything they do is being criticized.

As for what they are doing to retain all members, I'm not concerned. They have many many programs already in place that helps with retention of all members, and youths as well. They present us with the programs, it's up to us to utilize them. The value proposition is there, are we all utilizing them as effectively as we can?

Day Camp: information available to club and educators to use, are we using that to our best abilities?
UAS4STEM: Wildly successful this year, so much so they had to open up registration for next year early, it's already open.
STEM: another program targeting youth and schools program for science and technology. Has your club used this program? How many have each year, would it be safe to say more could?
AMA Flight School: http://www.amaflightschool.org/campama
CampAMA: sold out this year
Youth Ambassadors: http://amaflightschool.org/youth-ambassador
Scholarships: Over a million dollars paid to date
Emails/Website: Targeted to youth members with content geared towards them.

Could they put more programs in place? Sure. Would it cost more money? Sure.

Have any of the candidates addressed youth membership, and come up with a specif plan to attract and retain youth, above what the AMA has already done? Nope.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 AM
porcia83
Banned

Amen. We had a youth member recently drift away from the hobby (still a member though) after getting more involved in fishing...and it just so happened his new girlfriend enjoyed that as well. When does that ever happen? LOL. His brother is still a member thankfully, and probably one of the best pilots I've ever seen fly.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
They have been doing youth membership for a very long time so the metrics are there if you are concerned. Not always free I recall it used to cost a buck or maybe three bucks, but the metrics should be the same.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Amen. We had a youth member recently drift away from the hobby (still a member though) after getting more involved in fishing...and it just so happened his new girlfriend enjoyed that as well. When does that ever happen? LOL. His brother is still a member thankfully, and probably one of the best pilots I've ever seen fly.
At that age what I tried to fish wasn't fish! LOL

Actually it was hot rod parts.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

At that age what I tried to fish wasn't fish! LOL

Actually it was hot rod parts.
Cars, bikes, athletic shoes, video games, cell phones, and ya cars too...there's a lot of stuff to take their attention away. One of our clubs best giant scale scratch builders also restores cars and carts them around to national competition.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:44 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
ya know, i been thinking i had read that the best buy program did have some costs associated with it, and there it was, right there in the minutes:

"6. Executive Director’s Report

Best Buy – Revenue continues to trickle in; to date we have received $70,376 as a result of the program. The cost to implement the program was $23,000 so we have realized significant revenue. AMA realizes about $72.33 per member that joins AMA as a result of the Best Buy program. AMA also realized about 1,000 new members as a result of the program."

never hurts to re read things a week or so later.
OK this is your third and final warning re: "fact and logic".

I heard the memberships got US$50 from Best Buy for each new member, but maybe I heard wrong. I must say that number was not easy to get.

To me the absolute membership numbers are not the issue. What was the goal for conversion rate? Would 900 new members gained from a free Best Buy membership program be considered a success from the outset of the program?? With hundreds of thousands of coupons offered?

Another interesting number, the number of Park Pilot memberships....does anyone really think that if you went back in time and told the EC that after years of effort and untold treasure we would have less than 2500 Park Pilot members that they would support the program? Remember the rationale for all of this chasing of the droners is very very similar to the arguments made to establish the Park Pilot program. "We just have to have them"..."we will die without them" Apparently Park Pilots do not value what the AMA is offering much either.

I think the important cost for these program is less to do with $$ and more the opportunity cost......what is the AMA not doing while they are chasing these ghosts (Drones and Park Pilot)? Could they do more with STEM programs? Isn’t that what our 501c3 is about, education? Do more with STEM outreach and stop all of this mind share being wasted on Park Pilot and Drone chasing. That keeps the IRS happy and does a lot for youth membership.

I know many HATE to hear it (I mean like nails on a chalkboard) but most of the members, I would guess 90%, value the AMA most for one thing, the insurance program (needed to secure the land for a fixed field).
Of course if you don’t need the landowner insurance for a fixed field, then you place little to no value on AMA membership. And we only spend 14% of our revenue on the program that is most important to most members, is that right? Valued by most traditional modeling members, the ones that enjoy the flying and need a flying field to do it.

Last edited by mr_matt; 08-22-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: mangeled cutting and pasting with Windows 10...ugh
Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You're aware that UAS 4 STEM nats just took place at AMA HQ?

87 students from 8 states on 12 teams took part.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mr_matt

I heard the memberships got US$50 from Best Buy for each new member, but maybe I heard wrong from the AMA. I must say that number was not easy to get from them.

To me the absolute membership numbers are not the issue. What was the goal for take rate? Would 900 new members gained from a free Best Buy membership program be considered a success from the outset of the program?? With hundreds of thousands of coupons offered?

Another interesting number, the number of Park Pilot memberships....does anyone really think that if you went back in time and told the EC that after years of effort and untold treasure we would have less than 2500 Park Pilot members that they would support the program? Remember the rationale for all of this chasing of the droners is very very similar to the arguments made to establish the Park Pilot program. "We just have to have them"..."we will die without them" Apparently Park Pilots do not value what the AMA is offering much either.

I think the important cost for these program is less to do with $$ and more the opportunity cost......what is the AMA not doing while they are chasing these ghosts (Drones and Park Pilot)? Could they do more with STEM programs? Isn’t that what our 501c3 is about, education? Do more with STEM outreach and stop all of this mind share being wasted on Park Pilot and Drone chasing.

I know many HATE to hear it (I mean like nails on a chalkboard) but most of the members, I would guess 90% value the AMA for one thing, the insurance program (needed to secure the land for a fixed field).
Of course if you don’t need the landowner insurance for a fixed field, then you place little to no value on the AMA. And we only spend 14% of our revenue on the program that is most important to most members? Most traditional modeling members, the ones that enjoy the flying and need a flying field to do it?
I suspect you would have been even unhappier if those hundreds of thousands of coupon's had been redeemed. Maybe next year will be better in your area and your field parking lot will be forever full of droner's. Be careful what you ask for.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:05 PM
mr_matt

I suspect you would have been even unhappier if those hundreds of thousands of coupon's had been redeemed. Maybe next year will be better in your area and your field parking lot will be forever full of droner's. Be careful what you ask for.
Boy you must have me confused with someone else!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:06 PM
mr_matt

You're aware that UAS 4 STEM nats just took place at AMA HQ?

87 students from 8 states on 12 teams took part.

I know, fantastic. Do even more. Vector resources from Droning into these STEM programs. Winner
Old 08-22-2016, 12:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

I heard the memberships got US$50 from Best Buy for each new member, but maybe I heard wrong from the AMA. I must say that number was not easy to get from them. I think I see why it was hard for them to release that number, it doesn't look right. Who is your source for this? The number given to us right in the meeting notes was $72.33, right there in black and white. How does that equal $50.00?

To me the absolute membership numbers are not the issue. What was the goal for take rate? Would 900 new members gained from a free Best Buy membership program be considered a success from the outset of the program?? With hundreds of thousands of coupons offered? Does your source or anyone here for that matter know for certain that hundreds of thousands of coupons were offered via the BB program specifically, as this was the only program of it's kind? Nobody has stopped to think that some of the units purchased might have been purchased by folks already part of the AMA, so they wouldn't need to redeem the coupon. We probably need the total number handed out, not a wild guess, in order to gauge the success of the program. Meanwhile, the AMA said it was a success, and by the new membership numbers, and income, it appears to be the case. What metric would be used to say it wasn't successful?

Another interesting number, the number of Park Pilot memberships....does anyone really think that if you went back in time and told the EC that after years of effort and untold treasure we would have less than 2500 Park Pilot members that they would support the program? Remember the rationale for all of this chasing of the droners is very very similar to the arguments made to establish the Park Pilot program. "We just have to have them"..."we will die without them" Apparently Park Pilots do not value what the AMA is offering much either. I'd have to guess that the folks who purchased and kept their Park Pilot membership feel that it ads value to them. This was another attempt to gain membership and while it might not have been the most successful, what was the alternative? Do nothing? Hope those folks showed up at clubs on their own? I would say perhaps the AMA should have advertised more but based on recent comments on their marketing campaigns, that would have been a mistake too. What was the alternative then, and what is the alternative for now? Has anyone put a specific plan up that goes above or beyond what the AMA is doing now? None of the candidates have given specifics.

I think the important cost for these program is less to do with $$ and more the opportunity cost......what is the AMA not doing while they are chasing these ghosts (Drones and Park Pilot)? Could they do more with STEM programs? Isn’t that what our 501c3 is about, education? Do more with STEM outreach and stop all of this mind share being wasted on Park Pilot and Drone chasing. That's a great idea, but keep in mind that is already going on. In fact, the AMA added a UasSTEM program that was so successful this year it sold out, and the registration for 2017 is already open. I've noted above all of the different programs they have to attract youth, but I also noted the AMA can only do so much. It really ends with the clubs, local leaders, and local members. And let's not forget they really need to target all potential new members, not just giant scale guys/turbine and/or one discipline over another. I would have to guess that the majority of new folks coming into this hobby are not into the big, scratch built expensive stuff. Right now, that's probably park scale stuff, quads, arfs, and the dreaded foamy planes, even the larger ones. HH, Tower, and Motion catalogs can attest to that. The companies aren't turning their back on that tech (MR specifically) since it sells, why would the AMA?

I know many HATE to hear it (I mean like nails on a chalkboard) but most of the members, I would guess 90% value the AMA for one thing, the insurance program (needed to secure the land for a fixed field).
Of course if you don’t need the landowner insurance for a fixed field, then you place little to no value on the AMA. And we only spend 14% of our revenue on the program that is most important to most members? Most traditional modeling members, the ones that enjoy the flying and need a flying field to do it? It's not that this information is hated, it's just that it appears to be a generalization that's not supported by fact. I absolutely agree many folks have the AMA because they have to, but nobody is forced to join. I don't think the AMA survives and grows on 10% of the membership. The proposition value of the membership is different for everyone. And I've always said I would guess there are at least the same if not more folks who enjoy the hobby that don't have AMA or even fly at fixed fields.
it would be great to see more involvement in STEM, or the Camp AMA program as well, but again these cost money, and need our help along the way to make them successful.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-22-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

I know, fantastic. Do even more. Vector resources from Droning into these STEM programs. Winner
Here is a list of some of the programs, some of which have to do with "traditional" aviation, ie fixed wing and helis. It looks like you would take money away from "droning" to give it to the other programs. Not sure how that would work, or how fair that would be.

http://www.amaflightschool.org/programs
Old 08-22-2016, 01:39 PM
cj_rumley

Those 12 teams paid AMA about $29,940 for the UAS 4 STEM program, about $345/student. Not exactly charity here. The program includes one drone kit per team and some on-line instruction videos. The competitions include performance of a typical drone task, such as a search and rescue mission, IOW it is all about droning. Presumably one lucky student on the average team (greater than 7 students in this nats competition) gets to keep the drone.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Those 12 teams paid AMA about $29,940 for the UAS 4 STEM program, about $345/student. Not exactly charity here. The program includes one drone kit per team and some on-line instruction videos. The competitions include performance of a typical drone task, such as a search and rescue mission, IOW it is all about droning. Presumably one lucky student on the average team (greater than 7 students in this nats competition) gets to keep the drone.
No, it's not all about droning, but that's part of it. Are you famiiar with the programs, and who is involved with them? Did Andrew Jesky suddenly take up droning and decide to teach that? I didn't see that announcement. The week long camp program is 795.00, nothing is free nor should it be. A shared expense proposition. If they gave away all these programs for free I could imagine some folks complaining about that, and how money didn't get sent to their club instead.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
http://amaflightschool.org/youthamba...dor-rj-gritter

Giant Scale

http://amaflightschool.org/youthamba...r-andrew-jesky

Giant Scale, Pattern. Take a look at what he does for a living now. Interesting.

http://amaflightschool.org/youthamba...r-nick-maxwell

Heli Pilot, big helis too!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.modelaircraft.org/education/campamawest.aspx
Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

ok
70,376 in from bb members minus the 23,000 spent leaves 47,376 in actual revenue.
divided by the almost 1000 members gives us approx 47.00 per.

now where they came up with the 72.33 per member number is anybody's guess. possible did not subtract the 23,000 cost. because i can not see anyone paying AMA more than going rate for memberships to hand out, i do not think that bb paid 70,376 plus 23,000 to be able to give away the memberships.(about 90.00 per member)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.