Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I guess this FPV drone racing fad is becoming mainstream with large Pro Sports owners

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I guess this FPV drone racing fad is becoming mainstream with large Pro Sports owners

Old 09-22-2016, 01:24 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
We just pay the bills nothing more. Were old and useless and are hung up on the past........................... .

Mike
You pay the bills just like I do, just like every paying member does. The fact that you or others might "model" doesn't give rise to any special treatment or consideration.

But the general comments here do reflect that folks feel old, and useless and hung up on the past at times. I've seen comments in threads complaining that people who fly ARFs and foamies are somehow less invested in this hobby, and therefor aren't in the same category as others. C'mon! Also, a sense of entitlement and also a feeling of being slighted, as if being in the hobby for 20 or so years has given the person that right to claim ownership, or credit for the AMA and it's success. That comes through in many different comments, not only here either. Everyone shares some credit by virtue of paying their dues, imo. Others do more, but I would presume for the love of the hobby rather than for the recognition though, right? The hobby is many different things to many different people. Plenty of room for everyone, plenty of recognition and appreciation to go around, and plenty of room to grow and continue to enjoy flying.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just pay the bills nothing more. Were old and useless and are hung up on the past........................... .Tell ya what will be interesting, as we get older and start stepping back from running the clubs and doing all the work I wonder who'll step up to take our place. They'll miss us after were gone.

Mike
FAA separates traditional model aircraft from those operated via FPV, which are drones subject to Part 107 regs whether they have rotary or fixed wings. The biggest segment of the FPV crowd that AMA is romancing is involved in flying for $$$. That's two strikes. What do you think the odds are that AMA will prevail in their attempt to convince FAA that FPV racing drones are model aircraft?
Old 09-22-2016, 04:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
FAA separates traditional model aircraft from those operated via FPV, which are drones subject to Part 107 regs whether they have rotary or fixed wings. The biggest segment of the FPV crowd that AMA is romancing is involved in flying for $$$. That's two strikes. What do you think the odds are that AMA will prevail in their attempt to convince FAA that FPV racing drones are model aircraft?
That's just not the case. They don't need to romance any segment, they are already in and the membership numbers are growing, nothing is going to stop that from continuing to happen. Sort of like helis when they came into popularity. The FPV racers, some of which happen to collect prize money, are in the same category as pilots who fly at "traditional" fixed wing aircraft events, ie Clover Creek. Not a thing in the world separates them. There are no strikes, and the AMA doesn't have to convince the FAA of anything, it's all part of the hobby.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

"....Tell ya what will be interesting, as we get older and start stepping back from running the clubs and doing all the work I wonder who'll step up to take our place. They'll miss us after were gone...."

Mike
Can't tell if you're actually serious, being facetious, or trying to make some other point. If your serious about this and other comments you've made recently, I can't help but think this is an issue with your club that is coming through here, not about how the hobby looks at you or others in similar situations.

As for missing you, well, sure, most clubs miss valuable members. But the reality is you're replaceable, and so am I, and so is pretty much every club officer out there. Sure, we may do a lions share of the work, but there will always be someone to pick up where you or I leave off. Just like working at a company, we're all replaceable. It might be someone who's pushed into taking over, or someone who has been waiting for a chance. The club will continue on, for better or worse, and it will be different, but it will survive. If they don't , it's not because one or two people are gone. This may also be symptomatic of a club membership that hasn't opened themselves up to new or different things. Sometimes those clubs become stagnant, and the vibe isn't all that good.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:38 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Can't tell if you're actually serious, being facetious, or trying to make some other point. If your serious about this and other comments you've made recently, I can't help but think this is an issue with your club that is coming through here, not about how the hobby looks at you or others in similar situations.

As for missing you, well, sure, most clubs miss valuable members. But the reality is you're replaceable, and so am I, and so is pretty much every club officer out there. Sure, we may do a lions share of the work, but there will always be someone to pick up where you or I leave off. Just like working at a company, we're all replaceable. It might be someone who's pushed into taking over, or someone who has been waiting for a chance. The club will continue on, for better or worse, and it will be different, but it will survive. If they don't , it's not because one or two people are gone. This may also be symptomatic of a club membership that hasn't opened themselves up to new or different things. Sometimes those clubs become stagnant, and the vibe isn't all that good.
I have personally witnessed a club close down because one or two of the key members no longer wished to continue on with their responsibility.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEdge
I have personally witnessed a club close down because one or two of the key members no longer wished to continue on with their responsibility.
I suppose there are always exceptions to the rule, and anything is possible. If there were only two people doing anything then perhaps the club needed to be disbanded. That's a shame.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:20 PM
TheEdge
Banned

I suppose there are always exceptions to the rule, and anything is possible. If there were only two people doing anything then perhaps the club needed to be disbanded. That's a shame.
What is the rule that you reference?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

What is the rule that you reference?
I guess the generally rule that most clubs aren't run by two people, unless the club is made up of two people. I'll clarify since I suspect this is heading somewhere else. Based on my personal experience being an officer in a club, and being a member of 4 clubs in two states, and visiting clubs in many more states, I've never seen one that was run by or relied on two people to keep it running.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:11 PM
TheEdge
Banned

I guess the generally rule that most clubs aren't run by two people, unless the club is made up of two people. I'll clarify since I suspect this is heading somewhere else. Based on my personal experience being an officer in a club, and being a member of 4 clubs in two states, and visiting clubs in many more states, I've never seen one that was run by or relied on two people to keep it running.
Well what a surprise that you would think that this is leading elsewhere, probably because that is what you do.
Context Tom.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well what a surprise that you would think that this is leading elsewhere, probably because that is what you do.
Context Tom.
LoL, great talking with you Bob, at least for a comment or two. Have a good night.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:29 PM
TheEdge
Banned

LoL, great talking with you Bob, at least for a comment or two. Have a good night.
It can't be that great Tom, I keep what I say short which in turn, doesn't leave you much to do your craft with. Great job today by the way, taking init to the ground, slamming him for his thread about transparency in elections and ballots. Took it completely out of context in a wonderfully executed deflective move
Hardly worth mentioning this anyway really as I know how insensitive you are and what your agenda is.
Good night Tom
Old 09-23-2016, 04:51 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

It can't be that great Tom, I keep what I say short which in turn, doesn't leave you much to do your craft with. Great job today by the way, taking init to the ground, slamming him for his thread about transparency in elections and ballots. Took it completely out of context in a wonderfully executed deflective move
Hardly worth mentioning this anyway really as I know how insensitive you are and what your agenda is.
Good night Tom
I credit my walking away from that thread to Ken , who gave me the great advice of just simply walking away from any thread that appears to be becoming combative/aggressive toward myself , and not responding in kind . Not bad , it took me only 3 times saying good bye till it finally appeared to sink in that I'm no longer playing the receiving end of the "bait & taunt" game . When you are dealing with folks who think inane sayings in a sig line are some kind of big taunt to the rest of the board , or maybe they are supposed to be some kind of all encompassing "gotcha" to his "sworn enemies" (which , of course , they are not , all they do is prove to everyone exactly what he's here for) it's best to recognize what kind of conversation that person is looking for and simply walk away rather than engage someone whose here for conflict only . He or anyone else cares to have a real discussion that involves the AMA , I'm all for it . He or anyone want's to play the game as it appears in most of these threads , sorry , I have no use for that whatsoever .
Old 09-23-2016, 04:56 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
I credit my walking away from that thread to Ken , who gave me the great advice of just simply walking away from any thread that appears to be becoming combative/aggressive toward myself , and not responding in kind . Not bad , it took me only 3 times saying good bye till it finally appeared to sink in that I'm no longer playing the receiving end of the "bait & taunt" game . When you are dealing with folks who think inane sayings in a sig line are some kind of big taunt to the rest of the board , or maybe they are supposed to be some kind of all encompassing "gotcha" to his "sworn enemies" (which , of course , they are not , all they do is prove to everyone exactly what he's here for) it's best to recognize what kind of conversation that person is looking for and simply walk away rather than engage someone whose here for conflict only . He or anyone else cares to have a real discussion that involves the AMA , I'm all for it . He or anyone want's to play the game as it appears in most of these threads , sorry , I have no use for that whatsoever .
I've said it once and I'll say it again the ignore feature is the best thing since sliced bagels. If used enough by more people this whole thing would just die a natural death.

Mike
Old 09-23-2016, 05:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ok so you are overly sensitive. Actually I don't see anything wrong with agenda's. As long as one argues fairly and I think he does.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:24 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Ok so you are overly sensitive. Actually I don't see anything wrong with agenda's. As long as one argues fairly and I think he does.
Meh , thank you for your opinion , but "sensitive" is in the eyes of the beholder and when conversations with the same person become a repeated pattern of conflict over and over again , I'd say that's all the proof I need of whose here for actual conversation (like we had in the "this is why" thread yesterday) VS someone whose here only to argue and browbeat anyone who sees anything wrong with the AMA . If you remember , the former "Agenda" was HK , and anyone with an HK problem was set upon , pretty much as anyone now who questions the AMA is .

Last edited by init4fun; 09-23-2016 at 05:37 AM. Reason: clarify a point
Old 09-23-2016, 05:33 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Those that continue to drive their agendas as opposed to supplying their opinions and the facts that support those opinions are really not conducive to keeping these threads on track and pertinent. It is really very clear to most of us, yet it continues. It really is too bad, but not a big deal as we all know how little pertinence these threads have in real-life. I mean, there are what, MAYBE just a handful of folks that even bother to read this forum, let alone participate.I mean, 2,900 threads in the AMA forums, as opposed to 51,000 plus in the jets forum, I'd say that tells a story!

The ignore idea is a good one. Don't give the trolls any attention and they quickly wither away.

Regards,

astro
Old 09-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have or have had people on ignore but I suspect it is a completely different set.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by astrohog
+1

Those that continue to drive their agendas as opposed to supplying their opinions and the facts that support those opinions are really not conducive to keeping these threads on track and pertinent. It is really very clear to most of us, yet it continues. It really is too bad, but not a big deal as we all know how little pertinence these threads have in real-life. I mean, there are what, MAYBE just a handful of folks that even bother to read this forum, let alone participate.I mean, 2,900 threads in the AMA forums, as opposed to 51,000 plus in the jets forum, I'd say that tells a story!

The ignore idea is a good one. Don't give the trolls any attention and they quickly wither away.

Regards,

astro
Hi Astro ,

Very good points indeed . When I got into trouble with my past combative posts , Ken spoke with me and laid it out that even if I do feel something is an attack , be it the subtle veiled just inside the rules kind or an out and out obvious attack , I am not to respond and that my best tack is to walk away and let him do the moderating , if in fact any moderating needs to be done . I agreed with him and genuinely feel sad that the guy has endured contention in the AMA forums pretty much since the beginnings of the AMA forum and I promised myself I would NOT add to his workload here again . Hence my stepping out of the "serial numbers" thread yesterday . Plenty of my past posts WERE combative , of this I freely agree , and so after Ken and I had our talk I decided I'd go and delete as many past posts as I could , to eliminate any negativity brought to the forum by me and to preclude any "post mining" where my old , combative posts would be reported in the attempt to earn me some more "bad boy points" here . Well yep , don't ya know , that our agenda driven member tried to use my deleting of the bad posts as some kinds of reason to taunt me about it in one of his goading posts to me , which I truly did laugh off , but believe me it did not go unnoticed that he was throwing my post deletion in my face in attempt to stir conflict . Why else would it have been mentioned other than to start an argument ? I had no problem whatsoever deleting my old posts because I don't believe ANYTHING written here is "historically worthy of eternal preservation" , as you so rightly mention the lack of any "real world" pertinence to these threads .

Thank You for your well reasoned post , I really do appreciate your perspective in this ....

Last edited by init4fun; 09-23-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:16 AM
franklin_m

I would love to see some updated data on the actual number of charter paying clubs. For example, I ran the websites of those listed in my district III website. A bit more than 10% of the cited club websites don't exist anymore. Is that because they're closed or because they're just not good at updating website data? Don't know for sure but it does make it difficult for folks to find clubs.

If nothing else, AMA should scrub all the websites that don't exist anymore. Then if there is a paid charter for the club, ask them to update the info.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:21 AM
franklin_m

The other question is what happens to AMA when the DRL decides they're big enough to be their own CBO? What's their incentive to remain under the AMA umbrella, when their flying sites are fundamentally different (and much more flexible) than AMA club fields? If no other reason, then all those charter payments could go to the DRL instead of going out the door to the AMA.

I maintain that the long term success of AMA is tied to availability of quality flying sites close to where members live and work. The farther away they are, or the more the value doesn't align with the club cost, the greater reason for folks to not be members at all - just buy a park flier and fly in any open field.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Well for some here the DRL folks leaving wouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I would love to see some updated data on the actual number of charter paying clubs. For example, I ran the websites of those listed in my district III website. A bit more than 10% of the cited club websites don't exist anymore. Is that because they're closed or because they're just not good at updating website data? Don't know for sure but it does make it difficult for folks to find clubs.

If nothing else, AMA should scrub all the websites that don't exist anymore. Then if there is a paid charter for the club, ask them to update the info.
More work for the AMA to do, even when this is all on the clubs? Some clubs don't have or want a websites. Some have sites but don't update them. Now the AMA needs to go and crosscheck all of them?
Old 09-23-2016, 06:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The other question is what happens to AMA when the DRL decides they're big enough to be their own CBO? What's their incentive to remain under the AMA umbrella, when their flying sites are fundamentally different (and much more flexible) than AMA club fields? If no other reason, then all those charter payments could go to the DRL instead of going out the door to the AMA.

I maintain that the long term success of AMA is tied to availability of quality flying sites close to where members live and work. The farther away they are, or the more the value doesn't align with the club cost, the greater reason for folks to not be members at all - just buy a park flier and fly in any open field.
Success is based on the work members do at the local level. The AMA will HELP and provide SUPPORT...but it's not their responsibility to hunt for new clubs and members and set them up with a club. Nor is it their job to stop clubs from going under because of a lack of interest.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

And yet they aren't leaving...in fact their ranks are consistently growing. Although let's humor the thought they suddenly they all up and leave. 20,000 members just disappear. Imagine the complaints about the AMA losing that many members. Good thing it's only a what if. It will never happen as many if these folks are also fixed wing pilots...both prior to FPV racing, and also after. I've seen that first hand. They will stay involved because they like different aspects of the hobby.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:02 AM
init4fun

Sport , if the DRL is flying under the present #550 rules , then as far as I'm concerned they're just as good as any other AMA subset . Drone racing is not bringing any kinds of negative attention to our hobby that I know of so why would anyone want to see that pushed away and alienated ? Are those guys flying unrestricted BLOS over cities or taking pictures through celebrities windows ? Of course not , if they're flying #550 FPV they are doing none of those things and deserve all the same AMA endorsements that the rest of the hobby gets . Yea , I don't fly MRs , , Don't fly Blimps or jets or Autogyros either , but if those flyers and more want to be AMA members following the applicable AMA rules for their type of flying , bring em on and more power to em ! Conversely , bring disrepute & scorn onto our hobby (such as the drone hovering outside the Actor's window did) , and yea I got no use for ya whether your a menace with an MR , a glider , or a biplane .....

So I guess that makes me not part of the "some here"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.