Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Serial Numbers on AMA Ballots ????

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Serial Numbers on AMA Ballots ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
I think it's best to agree to disagree here .........
Fair enough, I guess I just don't see the logic in not trusting the AMA (the staff really) to count ballots, but trusting them to hire someone else to do it for a fee.

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Good for you. I belong for two reasons only: insurance and a local club requires it. I haven't seen any reason to trust anyone in headquarters for a long time. The amount of trust is inversely proportional to salary, benefits and expense reimbursements.
Odd when 95% of the EC works for free, and get no benefits other than expense reimbursement for their Alamo car rental and lunch at Chilis. They do get adorned shirts, but no lapel pins. Perhaps it's those admin and clerical folks who deserve to have their integrity questioned.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

So expense reimbursements aren't considered being paid?
Actually no...it's not...but is that really what your issue is with. Expenses for a lunch at Outback Steak House and an Enterprise Rental car?
Old 09-20-2016, 10:45 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
That's the spirit. The ballot will be counted even if you didn't get the spelling of the name right, don't worry!
I'm not that naive; it'll end up in the trash before being counted.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Hi Franklin ,

That's an interesting choice of a word there ; naive ........

It's what I was called when I tried to assert a few months ago that my fellow AMA members are honest enough to not go filing false insurance claims if there were no police report or proof of signs of forced entry required . And yet I'm supposed to unflinchingly accept that each and every one of the entire AMA EC and all staff are incapable of having an all too human moment and giving in to the temptation of skewing results in their favor ? So I guess I gotta ask , what do you Franklin think is the cutoff point whereby us untrustworthy basic members suddenly become infallible robots , incapable of ever making a human mistake and taking advantage , is it just above basic member ? Maybe ya gotta be a leader member before your infallible ? Life member perhaps ? Or does it take appointment to the EC staff to reach such elevated superhuman status as to never be able to even consider giving in to temptation ? Jesus said ; "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" because he in his divinity knew that ALL humans are likely at one time or another to have given in to temptation , and that far more have than would ever publicly admit it . Checks & balances work . They were created with good reason , to keep temptation in check . And I believe the integrity of our election does deserve the check & balance of an outside count .
Old 09-20-2016, 11:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

That's a whole new level of conspiracy and cynicism. And you still want to be a member of this organization?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:31 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People are honest until they think it serves them ( or think it's best for us) to be dishonest. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mike
Old 09-20-2016, 11:39 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rcmiket
People are honest until they think it serves them ( or think it's best for us) to be dishonest. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mike
Mike , your mention of "absolute power corrupts absolutely" made another great saying pop into my head from years past , I believe it was President Reagan who said ;

"Trust , But Verify"

Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 PM
init4fun

Good for you. I belong for two reasons only: insurance and a local club requires it. I haven't seen any reason to trust anyone in headquarters for a long time. The amount of trust is inversely proportional to salary, benefits and expense reimbursements.
Hi RG ,

Yes I do believe the AMA does a good job of representing aeromodeling and I am happy to be a part of our organization because of things like the scholarships given to the young members . I really wouldn't change much except maybe I'd put less into the magazine and more into the scholarships and of course the outside counting of the ballots but I can't really think of much else , maybe a 5 year renewal option or something like that but I don't know of any other changes I'd make . I do think having a national organization gives the hobby a bit of "Hobby Cred" in the same way many other hobbies have their own organizations .
Old 09-20-2016, 12:18 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
....OR when they think nobody is looking!!!!

Astro
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM
rcmiket

Mike , your mention of "absolute power corrupts absolutely" made another great saying pop into my head from years past , I believe it was President Reagan who said ;

"Trust , But Verify"

Good one.

Mike
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
....OR when they think nobody is looking!!!!

Astro
Yep.

Mike
Old 09-20-2016, 01:49 PM
franklin_m

Hi Franklin ,

That's an interesting choice of a word there ; naive ........

It's what I was called when I tried to assert a few months ago that my fellow AMA members are honest enough to not go filing false insurance claims if there were no police report or proof of signs of forced entry required . And yet I'm supposed to unflinchingly accept that each and every one of the entire AMA EC and all staff are incapable of having an all too human moment and giving in to the temptation of skewing results in their favor ? So I guess I gotta ask , what do you Franklin think is the cutoff point whereby us untrustworthy basic members suddenly become infallible robots , incapable of ever making a human mistake and taking advantage , is it just above basic member ? Maybe ya gotta be a leader member before your infallible ? Life member perhaps ? Or does it take appointment to the EC staff to reach such elevated superhuman status as to never be able to even consider giving in to temptation ? Jesus said ; "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" because he in his divinity knew that ALL humans are likely at one time or another to have given in to temptation , and that far more have than would ever publicly admit it . Checks & balances work . They were created with good reason , to keep temptation in check . And I believe the integrity of our election does deserve the check & balance of an outside count .
There's several good posts below that in part or in whole capture my feelings. First and foremost, I think that any organization that handles money should always default to the most transparency practicable. Whether handling money or ballots, so long as there is any chance of impropriety (as is always the case with humans), then the organization should be as open a possible. "Trust but verify" is the way I think of it.

It's common to see stories of embezzlement and ballot stuffing in something as minor as little league chapters, or high school booster clubs (have had both in my immediate area). When you're talking about someone leading a group that deals with millions of dollars annually, then there's millions of reasons to ... "Trust but verify."

So I guess the answer has nothing to do with size of the organization, it is really whether or not humans are involved -- especially if those humans stand to be affected in some way depending upon how the results come out (almost always).
Old 09-20-2016, 02:40 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I gotta say, you guys are making me a little mad.

The folks at HQ work hard and have very little invested in who wins the presidential election. They work for the Executive Director, not the AMA President.

I disagree with you on many counts but until now have always respected your opinions and your service Frank, but quite honestly this is a new low, to accuse the HQ staff of rigging an election or trashing your ballot.

Poor taste.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:24 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'd also add that there are retired service members at the AMA on the EC as well, one of whom was a pilot in Viet Nam. The allegations are dishonorable.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

The folks at HQ work hard and have very little invested in who wins the presidential election. They work for the Executive Director, not the AMA President.

I disagree with you on many counts but until now have always respected your opinions and your service Frank, but quite honestly this is a new low, to accuse the HQ staff of rigging an election or trashing your ballot.

Poor taste.
Sorry you feel this way but I can understand why others may see this a little different for a number of reasons. The sad thing is all of this could be avoided by ballots being handled by a outside source.

Mike.

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-20-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:29 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Poor taste.
well,,
several yeas ago, one group of staff/ec folks got caught rigging a DVP election, so, we went to out of house counting. now, what has occurred once can occur again.
that is the real point here.

remember, "those who do not learn from the past, are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past."
Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by mongo
well,,
several yeas ago, one group of staff/ec folks got caught rigging a DVP election, so, we went to out of house counting. now, what has occurred once can occur again.
that is the real point here.

remember, "those who do not learn from the past, are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past."
In and around all of the stuff being posted about people directly accusing veterans here , It's nice to see someone bring a bit of sense to the thread . Yes sir , with an in house election count there IS the chance of what happened before happening again , unfathomable as this may seem to some . I once believed 100 % that Rock Hudson was a ladies man and that Lance Armstrong didn't dope and that Pete Rose would never bet in violation of MLB rules . Then over the years as the truth came out these once thought of as superhuman folks were shown to be just as likely as any other human is to give in to temptation , and thus with such examples & many more (Sandusky ? Madoff ? and how many others ?) my "trustability rating" of my fellow humans will always remain at 95 to 98 % and not 100 % , because of just that , that humans DO occasionally give in to temptations they shouldn't .

Last edited by init4fun; 09-25-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: not typos this time , got a name wrong I had to fix instead
Old 09-20-2016, 06:15 PM
init4fun

I truly hope folks realize that my call for an outside count is by no means a direct accusation of anyone , and intended only to preserve the integrity of the election . Yes I do believe a good 95 to 98 % of all folks to be honest , maybe even more , maybe 99% , but with the belief I have that in any given population there could be 1 to 5 % of the folks who might take advantage , an outside count would assure that a weak moment by someone wouldn't falsely skew the results . That's all , no direct accusations or saying that I think there is some patent dishonesty running rampant through the EC , cause I don't think that at all , just the desire to have the purest results possible by removing one variable , that of temptation .....
I said this in another thread earlier today , but I figured I'd just leave it right here as a possible further clarification of my view on the reason why an outside count would be a good idea
Old 09-20-2016, 10:06 PM
franklin_m

Poor taste.
"You guys.." but then turning it into a personal attack by calling me out by name?

Hardly fitting of someone who is trying to say that I should trust the process, and trust the people in it. Why should we trust the process when there's been vote rigging at the district level? Seems that if the Muncie royalty was interested in removing all doubt about the integrity of the process, and never give members ANY reason to doubt, they'd avoid counting the votes themselves - but they did not.

As Mike said above, people are honest and trustworthy until "they think it serves them ( or think it's best for us) to be dishonest." I've been vocal in my criticism of the ED, their boss as you pointed out, so that alone is incentive to trash a ballot. Or perhaps some of those counting are long time friends of one candidate? That might serve as incentive to trash a ballot or two. Or lastly the ones counting are some who are involved more heavily in MR stuff, and who's jobs might be at risk if someone was elected that didn't support MRs. That might be incentive. If someone is themselves a member, as small as that might seem, that too could be an incentive to slide a vote or two here and there toward the trash - especially when the voting numbers are small - and a few votes either way can influence the outcome.

Despite your personal attack, there's nothing wrong with anyone questioning the integrity of a process by which the votes are counted by people who are part of staff.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 PM
franklin_m

I'd also add that there are retired service members at the AMA on the EC as well, one of whom was a pilot in Viet Nam. The allegations are dishonorable.
Randy Cunningham was a "pilot in Viet Nam," earned the Navy Cross in fact - and it didn't stop him from accepting bribes.

The fact that folks are retired service members or were Viet Nam pilots guarantees nothing. The process itself is flawed. These folks of which you speak had the opportunity to remove all doubt, but did not. That alone is enough reason to question the outcome.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Randy Cunningham was a "pilot in Viet Nam," earned the Navy Cross in fact - and it didn't stop him from accepting bribes.

The fact that folks are retired service members or were Viet Nam pilots guarantees nothing. The process itself is flawed. These folks of which you speak had the opportunity to remove all doubt, but did not. That alone is enough reason to question the outcome.
Perhaps the EC heard the complaints or concerns of the membership regarding expenses, and decided to cut them where they could. The same folks complaining about expenses are the same ones looking to have more money spent on an election for a non paid position. This process didn't seem to be an issue for DVP positions until now. Should they use an outside vendor for every decision involving membership voting, including DVP races, as well as Leader Member Bylaw changes? That could get expensive.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:44 AM
init4fun

"You guys.." but then turning it into a personal attack by calling me out by name?

Hardly fitting of someone who is trying to say that I should trust the process, and trust the people in it. Why should we trust the process when there's been vote rigging at the district level? Seems that if the Muncie royalty was interested in removing all doubt about the integrity of the process, and never give members ANY reason to doubt, they'd avoid counting the votes themselves - but they did not.

As Mike said above, people are honest and trustworthy until "they think it serves them ( or think it's best for us) to be dishonest." I've been vocal in my criticism of the ED, their boss as you pointed out, so that alone is incentive to trash a ballot. Or perhaps some of those counting are long time friends of one candidate? That might serve as incentive to trash a ballot or two. Or lastly the ones counting are some who are involved more heavily in MR stuff, and who's jobs might be at risk if someone was elected that didn't support MRs. That might be incentive. If someone is themselves a member, as small as that might seem, that too could be an incentive to slide a vote or two here and there toward the trash - especially when the voting numbers are small - and a few votes either way can influence the outcome.

Despite your personal attack, there's nothing wrong with anyone questioning the integrity of a process by which the votes are counted by people who are part of staff.

Very VERY well said Franklin , and I do believe you are owed an apology for the unfounded attack(s) against your character . Those kinds of posts , especially from someone whose supposed to be a moderator , have no place in a conversation such as this where a simple matter of election policy is being discussed .

Andy , if you don't agree with Franklin's viewpoint that's all well and fine , tell him so ! But to do so in the way you did , by attacking his personal integrity like that , greatly diminishes YOUR image here , as far as I'm concerned . Personal attacks ? From a moderator ? Sorry buddy , but there IS a line of decency and decorum expected of ALL RCU posters , and your post has very clearly stepped over that line !

Edited to add ;

As to Humans being Human , and making bad decisions at times no matter what station of life they hail from , I'd like to relate here the case of a different , highly decorated helicopter pilot who served in Viet Nam ....

Please google , if you will , the case of a Mr. Alfred Hunter , a Viet Nam veteran and (now) former postal worker . Mr. Hunter , during a conflict with his wife , shot her dead in front of their young child and then stole a Cessna aircraft from a local small airport and flew by and strafed the Post office in Boston , Massachusetts he worked at with the same semiautomatic rifle he used to kill his wife with . Several passes were made and the building was hit multiple times by the rounds he fired . The area this happened in was SO congested with buildings & such that it was said that only an expert pilot could have flown the route he did without hitting something , during his multiple strafing passes of the building . Folks inside were naturally diving for cover and several were injured in the chaos . This is public record , available to anyone who cares to look it up , and is yet another proof of the fact that people , no matter where they come from , can "have their moments" and that there really IS no "Litmus test" of who could snap at a moment's notice as Mr. Hunter did .

Last edited by init4fun; 09-21-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:29 AM
franklin_m

Perhaps the EC heard the complaints or concerns of the membership regarding expenses, and decided to cut them where they could. The same folks complaining about expenses are the same ones looking to have more money spent on an election for a non paid position. This process didn't seem to be an issue for DVP positions until now. Should they use an outside vendor for every decision involving membership voting, including DVP races, as well as Leader Member Bylaw changes? That could get expensive.
Integrity of the election process is pretty darned important and worth expense to keep it beyond question.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:32 AM
franklin_m

Those kinds of posts , especially from someone whose supposed to be a moderator , have no place in a conversation such as this where a simple matter of election policy is being discussed .

Andy , if you don't agree with Franklin's viewpoint that's all well and fine , tell him so ! But to do so in the way you did , by attacking his personal integrity like that , greatly diminishes YOUR image here , as far as I'm concerned.
Not only is he a moderator, who himself makes personal attacks, he's a member of the AMA EC!

On both counts, it appears to be "Do as I say, not as I do."
Old 09-21-2016, 03:38 AM
rcmiket

Integrity of the election process is pretty darned important and worth expense to keep it beyond question.
It is to me. After all the turmoil over the last few years seems like that's a no brainier.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.