Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Can you believe it, even more fantastic news from the AMA

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Can you believe it, even more fantastic news from the AMA

Old 09-21-2016, 06:19 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can you believe it, even more fantastic news from the AMA

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...february-2017/

Talk about another great idea. The Expo in CA is so successful, why not bring bring in the noise, bring in the funk to the East Coast! Fantastic news, I've been suggesting this for a few years now hoping someone would take this over, looks like someone was listening! This is a major coup for District Two presidential candidate Eric Williams (Tougas has the other Expo). The event has been lagging over the past couple of years. Less vendors were showing up, and more floor space devoted to static models, and the swap shop was heading South too.

A short ride for the folks in New England, and easy to get to from PA, Deleware, etc.

It's the oldest event of it's kind in the hobby, looks like the AMA has made another great decision sure to thrill the members!

Old 09-22-2016, 04:09 AM
GerKonig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I saw that! I have attended the WRAM for almost 2 decades and it went down in exhibitor numbers, year after year. They moved it to a better place a couple of years ago, but still it was not growing. I hope the AMA can bring this show back to it's former glory, and not just add 40 done vendors to the dwindling aircraft vendor lineup. One can only hope it will be a good change...
Old 09-22-2016, 06:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agree. I'm sure Tony and the flight sim trailer will be there. And I am sure there will be some great speakers and discussions going on, if not there then at the hotels next store. I'm hopeful they can apply some gentle pressure to the big hobby companies to show, and just as importantly...look for the mom and pop companies to show up as well. I wouldn't have a problem with the AMA providing discounts for that type of vendor to show up. It's expensive for some if tgem to travel, and then have to pay big bucks for vendor booths. I'm sure it won't change overnight but I'm optimistic thus will get the event back on solid ground.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:25 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wait.....invite and subsidize the very vendors that stand to profit from its members????

Astro
Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Absolutely! Do you think Horizon or Tower, or Hobby King needs any help? How about those "traditional" one man operations, or mom and pop companies that are giving it a go in this competitive market. Is there something wrong with vendors selling to customers, you make it sound like making a profit is a bad thing? Have you ever owned your own business or been involved in trade shows such at this? Do you have any idea what the costs involved are. Just the cost of the booths, and lodging, and travel for this event can easily top $2500.

Take these two vendors. Two guys who own their own companies, do their own marketing, actually build their own products and go to fly ins and events and support their fellow hobbyists.

http://www.racores.com/

http://www.warbirdpilots.com/aboutus.asp

RC Cores sells foamy kits, some in the under 50 price point. The pilots run a bit higher, there isn't exactly a ton of profit built into that merchandise. You would charge them the same amount as Hobbyking for a booth? I'd certainly have no problem with the AMA cutting them a break on rent for a booth or two and help promote the hobby that way, then charge them the same as HobbyKing, or Nitroplanes. For me, a much wiser use of funds than say, paying 10k or more counting ballots.

It will take a few years to get the event back up and fully running and hopefully participatory. I doubt the intention is the shoot for a windfall, and I would suspect it might not result in huge (or any) profits right away. The AMA isn't into flash in the pan quick buck stuff, they are in it for the long haul. The old sponsors did a good job but it's tough for a club to run that operation every year. Every now and then it's great to shake up the apple cart and get some new blood involved!