Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

All that AMA money, ever wonder where it all goes?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

All that AMA money, ever wonder where it all goes?

Old 09-24-2016, 12:26 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, an afterthought......
You are in Texas, which has a recreational use statute that protects landowners that allow use of their property for certain recreational purposes (specifically included model airplane flying) from liability that may be incurred by such use. Buying liability insurance for the landowner, whether public or private, seems unnecessary. Anyone planning to take advantage of that statute should of course do what it takes to be certain that it applies to you and your club.

Last edited by cj_rumley; 09-24-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:40 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
But yes...the AMA isn't there to keep clubs running that can't do it for themselves. Read the grant requests, something not everyone is able to do and understand.
No problem with that, so long as they apply the same standard to the "club" in Muncie. Let those who use it pay for it in its entirety.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:56 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
No problem with that, so long as they apply the same standard to the "club" in Muncie. Let those who use it pay for it in its entirety.
That seems more than fair,
Mike
Old 09-24-2016, 03:48 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
You were looking for alternatives to paying into AMA's primary money making machine. Right, sure you were.............
Oh absolutely...unlike some that just whine and wonder, I do. Like asking how much an audit of ballots would be...I was the one who asked brown, Hanson and others. Amazing right...asking questions from the folks that are in the know...as opposed to trading in rumor and supposition.

So ya..thanks for asking...great point.

Oh...the reason I was looking into the quote wasn't toreplace the ama (I mean, why bother)...rather it was to show how expensive it would be to go it alone. To show how much else comes along with the membership dues. You and others might have missed it because it had a slight positive ama tinge to it. That happens a lot.

In general though, I'd have no problem with another CBO or competitor to the AMA. I'm a big believer in competition. It forces all the players to up their game, and gives consumers a choice. I'd love to see one now if for no other reason than to show how good the folks have it with the AMA.

Gotta wonder why nobody else has stepped up to get a piece of the pie eh?
Old 09-24-2016, 03:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
An impossible standard to apply, but you knew that already. No other club or location is like the HQ. No other location hosts the number of events and people that Muncie does. No other location has a museum.
Nothing is stopping you or anyone else from flying there. I hear it's a fantastic site...world class!
Old 09-24-2016, 03:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
That seems more than fair,
Mike
How much money has your club received from the AMA?
Old 09-24-2016, 03:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Mike, an afterthought......
You are in Texas, which has a recreational use statute that protects landowners that allow use of their property for certain recreational purposes (specifically included model airplane flying) from liability that may be incurred by such use. Buying liability insurance for the landowner, whether public or private, seems unnecessary. Anyone planning to take advantage of that statute should of course do what it takes to be certain that it applies to you and your club.
And in his clubs case, the land is privately held, so it's not like a municipality is requiring the AMA coverage. Might be another club I'm thinking of.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh absolutely...unlike some that just whine and wonder, I do. Like asking how much an audit of ballots would be...I was the one who asked brown, Hanson and others. Amazing right...asking questions from the folks that are in the know...as opposed to trading in rumor and supposition.

So ya..thanks for asking...great point.

Oh...the reason I was looking into the quote wasn't toreplace the ama (I mean, why bother)...rather it was to show how expensive it would be to go it alone. To show how much else comes along with the membership dues. You and others might have missed it because it had a slight positive ama tinge to it. That happens a lot.

In general though, I'd have no problem with another CBO or competitor to the AMA. I'm a big believer in competition. It forces all the players to up their game, and gives consumers a choice. I'd love to see one now if for no other reason than to show how good the folks have it with the AMA.

Gotta wonder why nobody else has stepped up to get a piece of the pie eh?

Listen at you, unlike the whiners and complainers I did this and I did that, amazing I am, right...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ality_disorder
Old 09-24-2016, 06:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Listen at you, unlike the whiners and complainers I did this and I did that, amazing I am, right...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ality_disorder
Hey, it ain't easy being me, lol...but it's not surprising that I would be criticized for taking the time to get the information that others can't seem to get on their own. Just trying to help where I can. Mike was kind enough to share all that information on spending that others weren't able to find themselves. This I thought was a good thing no?

But yes, your link is interesting. Would you say that also fits someone who follows another online for 7 years, calls out the alleged attention seeking behavior of one person, while simultaneously doing the same thing himself? 7. Years. Consider that. There is a clinical term for it, I'm sure. Here's to 7 more, or 8.

I know this will be fodder for yet another comeback, yet another post directed at me (the bulk of your posts here are that), but really, this seems like yet another catch 22 here. If I talk about the things I do or experience or enjoy hobby related, that's not good. If I talk about the experiences with clubs, and how it might promote the hobby (like Init says I'm now somehow required to do as a LM), that's not good either. If I don't talk about any of those things at all, well, then that's not good either because then, well, I'm just selfishly enjoying the hobby and not fulfilling all these other duties thrust upon me as a LM. So what's the middle ground here?

You've been in the hobby far longer than I have been. I don't have any real idea about your experiences, or work promoting clubs, or the hobby,or your ideas about how the make the hobby better. Would you be so kind as to share some thought and suggestion on those issues? Give me some instruction about how I should share my experiences on a go forward basis, keeping in mind I'll need to stay away from Agenda like comments I guess. I'm sincere here, I'm open to actual non personal attack advice.

Case in point. I'll be at a scale fly in and car show tomorrow working beside an EAA chapter tent (we'll help with flight sims, etc), and Boy Scouts. The club I'm with will also have our tent and will be promoting the club, and the hobby of course, and the benefits of joining the AMA. As a bonus, myself and another member will be doing a formation flying demo at noontime (no pay involved, not even free parking). Am I allowed to talk about the event afterwards? If so, how do I document what happened, what we might have done, or who we spoke with, or if we got new members to sign up, or how many people walked past our giant scale planes and walked over to the DJI Phantom. If we gave out Delta Darts that were either donated by the AMA (another expense on their part) or paid for by the club, can I mention that, or the table we might set up to help kids build them? Can I mention any discussions/seminars we might be holding, or activity with local FAA reps? Can I mention the reporter we asked to come and speak with us regarding the event, so we can submit that story to the AMA for a check?

is there a way to talk about this event from your perspective that you or others would not find offensive or annoying, or "self promoting"? If so, I'd love to know how. If you're unable to tell me, I welcome the insight and guidance from Init, or Astro, or CJ, or Mike, or anyone else for that matter.

I've got to get some packs charged and the planes set up, so I'll check in after the event tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2016, 10:43 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

the clubhouse or the events forums would be the place to talk about what you did at an event, not the AMA discussion forum.
reach more people there as well.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:19 AM
Gadgeter

Originally Posted by mongo
the clubhouse or the events forums would be the place to talk about what you did at an event, not the AMA discussion forum.
reach more people there as well.
I kinda thought that's what he said he was doing
Old 09-25-2016, 03:36 AM
franklin_m

No other location hosts the number of events and people that Muncie does....I hear it's a fantastic site...world class!
If there's so many events and people that use it, then collecting a buck or two here and there shouldn't be a big deal. Should MORE than cover the expenses right?

After all, that's what AMA expects all of us to do at our sites.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:52 AM
TheEdge
Banned

It was just another opportunity to promote himself, to compliment himself and to look for credit.
I've never followed you Tom.
Once I saw you were spinning your craft here after being banned from RCG is when I spoke up about how nice it would be if you learned from that banning and avoid doing the same thing here as here, is my favorite place and I didn't wish to witness your continual upsetting of people. I didn't want to see you spoil it for others here as you had on RCG. This is the only site where I comment on how you post.
The good you do is something you do for the rewards you feel from doing such. Putting your time into such rewarding efforts is a good thing Tom, nothing wrong with that at all, it's just not very humble of you to look for additional credit by doing the self promoting you do.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:42 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEdge
It was just another opportunity to promote himself, to compliment himself and to look for credit.
I've never followed you Tom.
Once I saw you were spinning your craft here after being banned from RCG is when I spoke up about how nice it would be if you learned from that banning and avoid doing the same thing here as here, is my favorite place and I didn't wish to witness your continual upsetting of people. I didn't want to see you spoil it for others here as you had on RCG. This is the only site where I comment on how you post.
The good you do is something you do for the rewards you feel from doing such. Putting your time into such rewarding efforts is a good thing Tom, nothing wrong with that at all, it's just not very humble of you to look for additional credit by doing the self promoting you do.
I would say Tom that after multiple bannings elsehwere, a come to Jesus here along with the multiple criticisms from RCG members, that you are dishonest to yourself about what is going on in your life.
Recognizing Tom, that until that changes, nothing about Toms postings does.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:04 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

One would think it would be hard to fly a model plane with broken arms due to all of the self-back patting. .