Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Foundation Sweepstakes, NICE!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Foundation Sweepstakes, NICE!

Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA Foundation Sweepstakes, NICE!

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...n/sweepstakes/

A nice paid trip to CA for the Expo, and as a bonus, a ride in a P-51.

• Round-trip airfaire for two
  • Three days & two nights at Doubletree by Hilton
  • Free admission to AMA Expo, a family aeromodeling show (Learn more at www.amaexpo.com)
  • Rental car
  • $250 food/fuel stipend

How bad can CA be in January?

You can enter once a week too.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I was there last year, there was snow in the mountains visible from the hotel but we were running around in short sleeves by mid morning but there was a nip in the air in the morning.

If you make the trip a visit to Planes of Fame at Chino Airport shouldn't be missed
Old 10-13-2016, 04:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

I stumbled upon their Valle,AZ museum and was completely blown away at what they had there. For a smaller place literally out in the middle of nowhere, it was a fantastic display of some unique airplanes. I think I paid 15 for two of us to go in and where there almost two hours. 3 other people there at the same time, lol.

Looking forward to getting to the West Expo at some point, I know I'm going to enjoy the East one next year! I guess the AMA could run a similar sweepstakes for that one, the grand prize is a subway ride around the city.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:14 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So who is paying for this? You can enter without making a donation. AMA membership is getting pretty generous.

PS
Old 10-17-2016, 10:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by paulsf86
So who is paying for this? You can enter without making a donation. AMA membership is getting pretty generous.

PS
Not sure what "pretty generous" means, that's sort of subjective. The documentation I've seen doesn't say who is paying for it, it's not really an issue for me. It might be from our dues, it might be underwritten by an outside group or advertiser, or it might come out of the Foundation donations too. I suspect they might get some donations from people submitting an entry, although as you note that's not mandatory.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:37 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

My take on this ;

Well I figure one way or another we AMA members with dues , grants , or other donations are paying for it . Maybe it falls under part of the advertising budget or like Porcia said maybe some donations from RC companies are helping pay for it but either way , offering a contest to win a trip to an event sounds like an appropriate good will gesture and good PR move to me . Hopefully the couple who wins the trip writes a nice Thank You letter that gets printed in M.A. and there ya just put a nice human face on the business of running the AMA .

'sides , sure beats another raffle to win a damn drone , now don't it ?

Kidding , just kidding , I'll take all the free drones that wanna drop outta the skies and into my backyard !
Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 AM
BarracudaHockey

No dues money is involved.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:11 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
So who's responsible for the generous donation? For reference the Collings Foundation P-51 ride is $2200.00 for 30 minutes plus the rest of the travel and so on this cost someone a pretty penny. The radio was donated by Merrill Lynch...
Please don't read anything into my question as I'm just curious who's providing this.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-18-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:23 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why is there an AMA Foundation separate from the AMA>?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM
BarracudaHockey

Sorry Mike I don't have the details. The foundation board approves any expenditures so it may be that the publicity for the raffle raises more money than they spend. The foundation is responsible for scholarships, grants etc. I would imagine it's a tax thing but a call to Mandee at HQ would resolve any questions, that's her gig and she does a great job managing it.

Also this explains what the Foundation is and does
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amafoundation/
Old 10-18-2016, 07:57 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

It's nice that there is a foundation separate from the dues paying for it , but even if it was dues money it wouldn't bother me since all organizations advertise and have contests and such , like I said in my earlier post it puts a human face on the business side of running an organization and the good will and good PR generated is , to steal an advertising slogan , "Priceless !" .
Old 10-18-2016, 07:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Why is there an AMA Foundation separate from the AMA>?
Because they serve different purposes.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
So who's responsible for the generous donation? For reference the Collings Foundation P-51 ride is $2200.00 for 30 minutes plus the rest of the travel and so on this cost someone a pretty penny. The radio was donated by Merrill Lynch...
Please don't read anything into my question as I'm just curious who's providing this.

Mike
Wouldn't it be ironic if the drone racing league donated that.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:22 AM
rcmiket

Sorry Mike I don't have the details. The foundation board approves any expenditures so it may be that the publicity for the raffle raises more money than they spend. The foundation is responsible for scholarships, grants etc. I would imagine it's a tax thing but a call to Mandee at HQ would resolve any questions, that's her gig and she does a great job managing it.

Thanks for the info. I've made a inquiry on it. I do know that Dan Bott (a foundation board member) and the same of The Bott Group of Merrill Lynch. The group that donated the radio.

"Why is there an AMA Foundation separate from the AMA>? "

"The AMA Foundation was established in 2013 to serve as a supporting organization that will fundraise and grant funds exclusively for and on behalf of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, founded in 1936."

Mike
Thanks

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-18-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

there is a foundation, because, it is not bound by the restrictions that are on a 501 c3 org.
it can lobby and whatever else it wants, it just cannot accept tax deductible donations.
forming a foundation was one of hoss's ideas, by the way.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:42 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mongo
there is a foundation, because, it is not bound by the restrictions that are on a 501 c3 org.
it can lobby and whatever else it wants, it just cannot accept tax deductible donations.
forming a foundation was one of hoss's ideas, by the way.
https://www.modelaircraft.org/supportama/donations.aspx

"The AMA Foundation is a not-for-profit 501c3 organization; your donation may be tax deductible. Please consult your tax advisor for more information. "

Mike
Old 10-18-2016, 09:14 AM
rcmiket

Her reply.

Hi Mike,

The AMA Foundation does have a general fund that we pull marketing monies from. We did have some help with pricing cuts and we had donors provide the main prizes. This sweepstakes helps us to raise money and promote the AMA Foundation and its mission.

Mandee Mikulski

Mike
Old 10-18-2016, 10:08 AM
BarracudaHockey

Told ya

Yea, sorry Mongo but they are non profit, or not for profit (i'm not an accountant so I couldn't tell you the difference!)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:42 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

When dealing with the AMA or its affiliates I would suggest you read all the rules at least 10 times before entering.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
When dealing with the AMA or its affiliates I would suggest you read all the rules at least 10 times before entering.
O/K, I'll bite. Is the first 3-5 times not sufficient?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:22 PM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
I'll bite too, whats up? You enter the contest, if you win you get a trip to Expo and a ride in the Mustang. So unless you're an employee, EC member, or family of above, I don't see an issue.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:39 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"

"The AMA Foundation was established in 2013 to serve as a supporting organization that will fundraise and grant funds exclusively for and on behalf of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, founded in 1936."
I though the AMA raised funds and grants funds on its own behalf.....why did it need another foundation to do the same thing? Do they have a paid staff?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:16 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I though the AMA raised funds and grants funds on its own behalf.....why did it need another foundation to do the same thing? Do they have a paid staff?
That's a great question and I'm not sure why they needed the foundation to raise money for the AMA but it certainly looks like that's the purpose.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...able-bequests/

Guess we could poke around the old AMA EC minutes and see what we could find as far as paid employees..

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...n/ec/news.aspx

The Foundation Link

http://amafoundation.modelaircraft.org/

From the above site.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amafoundation/staff/

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...on/board-bios/

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-18-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

That's a great question and I'm not sure why they needed the foundation to raise money for the AMA bit it certainly looks like that's the purpose.

Guess we could poke around the old AMA EC minutes and see what we could find.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...n/ec/news.aspx

The Foundation Link

http://amafoundation.modelaircraft.org/

From the above site.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amafoundation/staff/

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...on/board-bios/

Mike
By all means, I'm sure there's something nefarious going on, there always is right? Reminds me of the whole tax audit issue.....
Old 10-19-2016, 03:39 AM
franklin_m

I'll bite too, whats up? You enter the contest, if you win you get a trip to Expo and a ride in the Mustang. So unless you're an employee, EC member, or family of above, I don't see an issue.
Seems folks at HQ have been told not to respond to anything I send (been a month w/o response to question). I'm sure my entries will end up in the trash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.