Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Foundation Sweepstakes, NICE!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Foundation Sweepstakes, NICE!

Old 10-19-2016, 04:45 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Seems folks at HQ have been told not to respond to anything I send (been a month w/o response to question). I'm sure my entries will end up in the trash.
I'm sure the upcoming election is "rigged" too. Always a conspiracy.

Why don't you post your question in the AMA blog, they always seem to get answered there.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I though the AMA raised funds and grants funds on its own behalf.....why did it need another foundation to do the same thing? Do they have a paid staff?
Looks like Mike answered your question. The Foundation is 4 years old and now it's purpose and cause is being questioned?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:58 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems that since there are a some members here with questions about the AMA Foundation, and since there are at least a few regular contributors to these threads that are AMA LM, that this would be a perfect place for those LM to help answer some of the questions instead of just being confrontational, no?

Astro
Old 10-19-2016, 05:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
Seems that since there are a some members here with questions about the AMA Foundation, and since there are at least a few regular contributors to these threads that are AMA LM, that this would be a perfect place for those LM to help answer some of the questions instead of just being confrontational, no?

Astro
Ah, we're going back to the Leader Member well again, if all else fails, lets try to wrap that in somehow, because that's related to a sweepstakes. LoL.

I would, in as non confrontational way as possible...suggest you read up on the whole LM thing again. Start a thread on it even. I can't control what you think every LM should be,and act, and respond, etc etc, after they receive that designation. It's more of an achievement thing than anything. That you think it's something different is your prerogative. Have you applied for it yet by the way? I know Franklin was in the process, I'll be interested when that happens and see what standards are applied then. In the meanwhile, I'm o/k with my LM designation, both of them actually. If you want to continue to try to weaponize that, have at it.

This is a open forum with lots of different points being discussed. As per the usual, when any thread about the AMA is remotely positive, we see it turn more towards the negative. Now we see the whole Foundation issue being questioned, 4 years after it came to be. Mike immediately wants to know who paid for this sweepstakes, Matt wonders what this whole Foundation thing is all about, and Mike suggests we poke around the EC meeting notes to see about paid employees, Cessna intimates we read the rules 10 times... etc etc. Yes yes I know, we should be able to "question" things and not be criticized for that. None of that "nothing to see move along" is going on here. Question away....

As per my repeated suggestions in the past though...the best place to ask for questions and get answers isn't going to be here, it's going to be directed to the AMA folks. We've already seen evidence of that right in this thread right? Mike asked, Mandee answered promptly! These threads are more for general conversations and the occasional opinions but if folks want specific answers to specific questions, it's best that they ask the right people. The folks at AMA have always been great responding to questions.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:01 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm sure the upcoming election is "rigged" too. Always a conspiracy.

Why don't you post your question in the AMA blog, they always seem to get answered there.

Are you saying the "Ask AMA" feature of the website and/or their staff processes for answering them is unreliable?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'm saying you seem the be the only one with chronic and ongoing communication issues with the AMA, based on your own comments. That being said, you've referenced discussions with DVPs, and it looks like Chad has no problem answering your questions on the AMA blog. If there wasn't one insinuation after the next about the AMA ignoring you, throwing your ballot away, refusing the respond to you etc etc, I'd consider it might just be a one off computer glitch. What have you done specifically to follow up on the issue, such as a phone call?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:52 AM
franklin_m

I'm saying you seem the be the only one with chronic and ongoing communication issues with the AMA, based on your own comments. That being said, you've referenced discussions with DVPs, and it looks like Chad has no problem answering your questions on the AMA blog. If there wasn't one insinuation after the next about the AMA ignoring you, throwing your ballot away, refusing the respond to you etc etc, I'd consider it might just be a one off computer glitch. What have you done specifically to follow up on the issue, such as a phone call?
It seems they've stopped responding to "Ask AMA" feature submissions - been almost a month since submission.
The blogs are tedious, as I try and keep to the topic, and not getting emails from them isn't one of the current blog items.
DVP did not respond to question about how exactly the money spent on magazine adds up, audit vs. tax filings.

And I just called on the email...two transfers and ultimately got a voicemail. Will have to see how quick it gets a response.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:53 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Her reply.

Hi Mike,

The AMA Foundation does have a general fund that we pull marketing monies from. We did have some help with pricing cuts and we had donors provide the main prizes. This sweepstakes helps us to raise money and promote the AMA Foundation and its mission.

Mandee Mikulski

Mike
Well in my experience a foundation is set up because it has its own way to get money and wants to allocate the funds as it sees fit without going through the normal (political) system.

I wonder if the AMA itself donates to the AMA foundation?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:34 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Well in my experience a foundation is set up because it has its own way to get money and wants to allocate the funds as it sees fit without going through the normal (political) system.

I wonder if the AMA itself donates to the AMA foundation?
Good question.

Mike
Old 10-19-2016, 04:29 PM
astrohog

Have you applied for it yet by the way?
I was never going to. Just don't see the value. I can support the AMA and the hobby just the same with or without LM status.
If you want to continue to try to weaponize that, have at it.
LOL. I asked a question of the LM's that hang out here and I am accused of weaponizing LM status? NICE!!

Astro
Old 10-19-2016, 05:04 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
I was never going to. Just don't see the value. I can support the AMA and the hobby just the same with or without LM status.

LOL. I asked a question of the LM's that hang out here and I am accused of weaponizing LM status? NICE!!

Astro
I'm a LM and I have no freaking clue what's going on and I make it a point to ask. Over the weekend I was at a Fly - In and a AVP was there and I (as did other modelers there) voiced our concerns over a few subjects including the LM's being left out of the loop on many of the decisions being made. Hopefully he relays our concerns to the powers to be.

Mike
Old 10-19-2016, 05:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'm a LM and I have no freaking clue what's going on and I make it a point to ask. Over the weekend I was at a Fly - In and a AVP was there and I (as did other modelers there) voiced our concerns over a few subjects including the LM's being left out of the loop on many of the decisions being made. Hopefully he relays our concerns to the powers to be.

Mike
Mike,
Being a LM doesn't get someone special access to anyone at the EC level, nor does it allow one to be more clued in to going on. I'm mainly to recognize achievement, not admission to a club or different level of membership with different levels of access. From a practice standpoint, the only additional thing it does is allow us to vote on bylaw issues. That's it. It's up to all of us as members, LM or not, to be aware of whats going on and to stay current. Setting aside the issue of not knowing what's going on, the AMA e-mails are the best place to get a general idea. The AMA website and blogs is another, in addition to the Model Aviation Magazine. Then of course there is your local AVP and District VP. In most cases the Districts have their own website. In addition, as a LM and a club officer you get a separate e-mail with updates. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but that's 8 different ways the AMA communicates with members. How many more different ways can they communicate with us?
Old 10-20-2016, 05:22 AM
astrohog

From the AMA website:

Q. What is a Leader Member?

An AMA Leader Member is an Adult* member who has demonstrated an above-average interest and/or participation in AMA matters and who qualifies in accordance with Executive Council-approved requirements. *Park Pilot members do not qualify

I guess I thought that a LM with, "above-average interest and/or participation" may have more insight/knowledge of the organization than the, "average" member. I guess not. My bad.

It would also seem the AMA views foamies as a different tier of modeler (maybe not as much skin in the game?), as, "park pilot members do not qualify". LOL
Q. What are the duties of a LM?

Leader Member duties vary by category. While it is the responsibility of every Leader Member to represent and promote AMA and the sport of aeromodeling, Leader Members within the categories of Education Support and Flight Support have specific duties and responsibilities including public outreach, assisting clubs, member support, membership development, and other duties as defined by the Leader Member Program.

Call me weird, but, by the AMA's own definition, LM duties and responsibilities include,"public outreach, assisting clubs, member support, membership development". I just thought that maybe one or more of the LM's present here would dig a little deeper to find answers for a question posed by an "average" AMA member. I guess not, My bad.

BTW, anyone that reaches for an "above-average" status in any organization, and makes it widely known on a public forum, should hold themselves to a higher standard, especially when dealing with other members of the same organization, NOT call them out and accuse them of "weaponizing" the very title/status that they so proudly (and deservedly so) tout in the public arena. With that title/status comes the responsibility to represent the organization in an "above-average" way.

Regards,

Astro
Old 10-20-2016, 05:24 AM
porcia83
Banned

2nd entry completed today, that P-51 ride sounds fantastic!
Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I can only imagine. I had an RC buddy set me up with a B-25 ride and I near about wet myself. I even got to fly it for about 30 minutes, up in the front turret for 200 foot passes over a 4th of July boat parade, and up in the top turret. WOW

A Mustang ride would be very special as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BMGOPR2194.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2186538   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMGOPR2198.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	2186539   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMIMG_1524.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2186540   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMIMG_1541.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2186541   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMIMG_1543.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2186542   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMIMG_1548.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	2186543  
Old 10-20-2016, 08:04 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I can only imagine. I had an RC buddy set me up with a B-25 ride and I near about wet myself. I even got to fly it for about 30 minutes, up in the front turret for 200 foot passes over a 4th of July boat parade, and up in the top turret. WOW

I got to do the Collings Foundation B-17 a few years back and it's the best money I've ever spent.
Mike
Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 AM
porcia83
Banned

Amazing pics and experience for sure. I'd like to see them do something similar here with the AMA Expo East. Was at a scale fly in/car show this past month and a guy was giving rides in his T-6 Texan, $275.00 for a 15 minute ride. He was booked up pretty much all day otherwise I would have given it a shot. The cost isn't cheap, but a great value for what you get, imo. Where else can you get a ride in that kind of plane for that kind of money? I'll be reaching out to the event coordinators to see what could be put together. The guy who owns that plane also owns 6 Cessna Agwagons, wouldn't mind taking a ride in those either, too bad it's a one seater.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

I got to do the Collings Foundation B-17 a few years back and it's the best money I've ever spent.
Mike
A buddy of mine did a ride in the Aluminum Overcast B-17 and said it was the flight of a lifetime. At the time he paid something close to $750. It's down in the $500 range now, still seems like a great deal considering whats involved.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Mike
Hi Mike ,

The largest aircraft I've ever flown in was the C-5A Galaxy and it didn't cost me a Dime

Westover AFB , Chicopee Massachusetts , circa 1980s .....
Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

Take off, two passes down the runway and a short flight around the area and a landing, about 15 minutes overall. A couple of folks got some smoke and a sharp turn or two, no aerobatics were allowed. Can't imagine this wouldn't be a popular choice for Expo East.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160925_094504466.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2186547  
Old 10-20-2016, 03:28 PM
franklin_m

Looks like a lot of fun and a beautiful day as well. I got to fly a P51H back in early 90's at Pax. Quite a bit of fun doing simulated vertical fights. Laminar flow wing stalls so nice and pretty across the top. Fingertip control.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

entered again today!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:49 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, I read above that P51 Mustang rides are up in the 2000 dollar plus bracket, I recall hearing 1000 dollars along time ago.However when you think about it.. you would never forget that money spent.. I have forgotten the hotel rooms and gas tank fill ups that have totaled much more.....