Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Today's A.M.A. Email

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Today's A.M.A. Email

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:42 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm not a moron. I turn my spam filters completely off on all accounts. It was turned off when they said there was a problem with my earthlink address. I switched to a Google domain and made sure it was off. Since August I haven't received anything at that address.
Never said you were, I'll cease any other attempts to troubleshoot.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
While I think MR/Drone will continue to be popular, at some point the sales will drop off and we won't hear about hem as much as we have over the past two years. They are a fad to some degree, at least for the general public. I'll use the club I belong to as an example. We have a part of our field solely for MR and Helis. We saw a big influx of MR only guys over the past two years, about 25 overall. I actually expected more since we allow them in the club, and even have a track cut out in our field, but it didn't happen. What did happen is that more than half of these guys slowly gravitated over to fixed wing flying. Not only the foamies, but larger size balsa planes, and ducted fan as well. Most of these guys spend more time flying planks now then they do the aerial blenders. I'm sure some folks will stay MR, and some will stay plank...but there is cross-over happening on both sides. I don't think the club scene or the hobby as we know it is going to drastically change. There are so many new planes, and new technologies coming out for fixed wing to keep folks very interested for a long time, imo.
yes variable pitch 3d plank flying will be the next big thing in my opion,
Old 10-19-2016, 11:35 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
LoL, who knows anymore. HH just came out with a pretty bizarre little fixed wing aircraft-delta wing called the Convergence.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Funny thing is, thats been around a while, I saw that at E-Fest like 6 or 7 years ago and only a very few planes with it ever since.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:12 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Funny thing is, thats been around a while, I saw that at E-Fest like 6 or 7 years ago and only a very few planes with it ever since.
maybe next will be 3d variable pitch prop with vectored on the fly adjustable thrust line angles...
Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

maybe next will be 3d variable pitch prop with vectored on the fly adjustable thrust line angles...
There was another plane I saw online, I think it was at Nall. It was a highly modified 3D plane, an Extra 300 or something like that. In between he cockpit and the vert stab sat a big 'old motor and prop, and that plane did some absolutely bizarre things in the air. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:27 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been around for some time and never caught on.

Mike
Old 10-19-2016, 02:06 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
It's been around for some time and never caught on.

Mike
Gents when we talk "variable pitch" are we speaking of the propeller only , as in being able to make a 10 inch prop have a pitch of between for instance 3 to 9 while in flight , or are we talking being able to vary the thrust , ALA the full scale "Osprey" ?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:40 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Horizon teased one last week I think and it looks like it is now up, called the Convergence. It has a kind of vectored thrust.

I built one years ago, a VTOL designed by Tom Hunt from Grumman, the Vertigo. What a colossal pain with a nitro ducted fan .45!

things have come a long way with this technology, especially the stabilzation systems we have now.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:49 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Gents when we talk "variable pitch" are we speaking of the propeller only , as in being able to make a 10 inch prop have a pitch of between for instance 3 to 9 while in flight , or are we talking being able to vary the thrust , ALA the full scale "Osprey" ?
I think maybe both. There have been variable pitch props in one shape or another for a long time, earliest I remember was the Schneider props that Hobby Lobby sold in the 70s. A friend on mine worked on a much bigger one about 10 years ago and JetCat had prototypes for a big turbo prop I saw when I was last at the factory again maybe 10 years ago. The idea just never took off I guess
Old 10-19-2016, 03:36 PM
rcmiket

Variable pitch props have been around for some time and did not catch on.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-19-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM
fragile

Originally Posted by Lifer
Received today's email blast from the AMA. It seems to be about 80% Drone related. I'm SICK of drones. When are they going to stop romancing these things?
To Lifer:

Your smear campaign on AMA and drones makes me SICK.

Like it or not, the drones are the greatest invention of mankind, and they are definitely the future of RC.

I strongly recommend that you learn to calculate percentage since your 80% figure is far off.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My question,in relation to drones, is this.

What are you, as a traditional modeler, doing differently now than when this all started?

1. You're writing a reg number that costs for 3 years less than a trip through the dollar menu for breakfast at McDonalds. Yes.

But other than that? What are you doing differently?
Actually my modeling activity has changed drastically. I refuse to register with the FAA, so I can only fly planes weighing less than 8-1/2 ounces. I used to have 27 scratch built airplanes, gave away every one above the maximum weight. I now have 1 RC plane and 3 control line planes.

I figured since I am no longer allowed to fly planes over 8-1/2 ounces, I no longer need much of a shop to build them. Don't need much space to build and store 1/2 pound planes, so I figured I no longer need my house with shop. Selling the house and moving into something much smaller on the golf course.

The hobby has been great to me for the past 50 years but now the FAA has sucked all the fun out if it as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty bummed out by the Drone/FPV thing and the resulting FAA involvement.

I have to deal with the FAA on a professional basis, having them "watching over my shoulder" while I fly my models is a bit too much to bear.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Actually my modeling activity has changed drastically. I refuse to register with the FAA, so I can only fly planes weighing less than 8-1/2 ounces. I used to have 27 scratch built airplanes, gave away every one above the maximum weight. I now have 1 RC plane and 3 control line planes.

I figured since I am no longer allowed to fly planes over 8-1/2 ounces, I no longer need much of a shop to build them. Don't need much space to build and store 1/2 pound planes, so I figured I no longer need my house with shop. Selling the house and moving into something much smaller on the golf course.

The hobby has been great to me for the past 50 years but now the FAA has sucked all the fun out if it as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty bummed out by the Drone/FPV thing and the resulting FAA involvement.

I have to deal with the FAA on a professional basis, having them "watching over my shoulder" while I fly my models is a bit too much to bear.
We are all allowed to fly. Nobody has stopped any of us from doing so. You have made a personal choice to not register, and not fly. The FAA isn't watching over anyone's shoulder either. Other than a random one off visit by an FAA person (that was reported here, and with cause), I've year to hear about any FAA involvement at the field level. It's a shame you gave almost all of it up, but I'm sure the folks who got your planes are appreciative.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:33 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by fragile
To Lifer:

Your smear campaign on AMA and drones makes me SICK.

Like it or not, the drones are the greatest invention of mankind, and they are definitely the future of RC.

I strongly recommend that you learn to calculate percentage since your 80% figure is far off.
"smear campaign on AMA and drones makes me SICK" your kidding right why not direct your hostilities to the ones who deserve the credit for all this issues we now have, Reckless operators?.

On a side note that email is 80% drone related that same number can be used as far as the AMA energy to TRY and get them into the organization which seems to be a failing..
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-20-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

"smear campaign on AMA and drones makes me SICK" your kidding right why not direct your hostilities to the ones who deserve the credit for all this issues we now have, Reckless operators?.

On a side note that email is 80% drone related that same number can be used as far as the AMA energy to TRY and get them into the organization which seems to be a failing..
Mike
Would love to see some actual numbers and/or stats to back up the assertion that the AMA is failing to get MR into the fold. ESPN shows, the multiple drone racing events across the country that the AMA is deeply involved, and their own SIG seems to run contrary to your constant denials of their popularity. 200 pilots from 38 countries are in Hawaii at this very moment competing at the races. Even Tougas confirms how many folks are MR focused within the AMA...10% of the membership. The numbers are only going to grow.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:04 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Mike
Hey Mike , take a look at the video that's been posted to the thread about these "world championships" and tell me where the required by AMA doc. #550 spotter was positioned so as to have LOS contact with the drone during all of it's flight ? Once you get past the footage of the jetliner landing at the airport you have drone footage that clearly violates #550 as there is no possible location where an LOS spotter could have seen the entire flight .

I know of no other class of RC flying where the rules are swept aside as soon as they become burdensome , do you ?
Old 10-20-2016, 05:28 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We are all allowed to fly. Nobody has stopped any of us from doing so. You have made a personal choice to not register, and not fly. The FAA isn't watching over anyone's shoulder either. Other than a random one off visit by an FAA person (that was reported here, and with cause), I've year to hear about any FAA involvement at the field level. It's a shame you gave almost all of it up, but I'm sure the folks who got your planes are appreciative.
We have a few "bad apples" at our field who would not hesitate to call the FAA. In the past they have not hesitated to call the police for infractions they didn't like.

I have experience dealing with the FAA and do not want any further experience.

And yes my flying buddy was very appreciative,
Old 10-20-2016, 05:36 AM
rcmiket

Hey Mike , take a look at the video that's been posted to the thread about these "world championships" and tell me where the required by AMA doc. #550 spotter was positioned so as to have LOS contact with the drone during all of it's flight ? Once you get past the footage of the jetliner landing at the airport you have drone footage that clearly violates #550 as there is no possible location where an LOS spotter could have seen the entire flight .

I know of no other class of RC flying where the rules are swept aside as soon as they become burdensome , do you ?
When you put all your eggs in one basket ( as the AMA has done) you have no choice but to "play" with the rules when you have to..

Mike
Old 10-20-2016, 05:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

When you put all your eggs in one basket ( as the AMA has done) you have no choice but to "play" with the rules when you have to..

Mike
Not sure which basket you are referring to. Here is a link to the 2016 Nats which seem to show a huge variety of interests, and not a single "drone" involved.

http://www.modelaviation.com/nats-2016
Old 10-20-2016, 06:32 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Even Tougas confirms how many folks are MR focused within the AMA...10% of the membership.
Excuse me, but this is just another of your mis-quotes to further your agenda. Tougas' actual statement was, "LESS than 10%" and he did not quantify that, it could be 2%, not to mention, the source of that comment was the voluntary, "check the box of your primary interest" on the AMA renewal form. I have not put a check in any box for many years now, due to the wide variety of RC disciplines in which I participate. Not very scientific, yet you continue to mis-quote that statement as gospel. LOL Just more Pocia spin!

(fact-check complete! LOL)

Regards,

Astro

Last edited by astrohog; 10-20-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What email?????? I never received it.

Paul S
Old 10-20-2016, 07:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by paulsf86

Paul S
I believe the OP was referring to the 10-18-16 update E-mail from the AMA, one of the many different ways the AMA communicates with members. It was titled "AMA Today: AMA strategic partnerships flourish". You can log into the AMA site and basically get the same information.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/
Old 10-20-2016, 02:16 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been an AMA member for over 50 years and now a lifetime member. I guess when they have all the money they are going to get from you they stop communicating.

Paul S
Old 10-20-2016, 02:43 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by paulsf86

Paul S
I put it up in one of my posts but unfortunately it had a personal email address on it and I deleted it from my post. It featured various drone related links including a discount to AMA members on prepping for the Part 107 exam. Unless your a "droner" there was nothing interesting or vaguely related to anything I'm interested in. That seems to be the theme of all their correspondence as of late.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.