Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Seems to me

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Seems to me

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:08 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

oops , wrong thread ....
Old 11-02-2016, 03:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taildragger
Well, a large majority of modelers think it's because of AMA including them in our regular modeling membership is the reason that we now have FAA regs to contend with and for one I agree with them. The majority of the drones that are out there are just toys with owners that don't give a crap about rules. I know there are those that are responsible people but they are the minority.
If they hadn't you would likely have a part 101 or 107 license by now. Or studying for it. Or flying illegally putting yourself in danger of a large fine. IMO the AMA did a great job.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by astrohog
He was flying via FPV BLOS. This is against AMA and FAA rules (without the proper credentials, etc.)

THAT is why he grabbed the attention, it wasn't because he was flying fixed-wing.

Remember, those of us that are calling for separation, are calling for separation of the technology (BLOS, autonomous), NOT for separation from MR.

Astro

That was before there were any rules about BLOS. They cited him for flying dangerously, the Judge threw it out. Adminstrative judges overruled that Judge, but only on the grounds that the FAA has no jurisdiction on model airplanes. The defendant was still going to defend himself on grounds that FAR Part 91 clearly did not cover model airplanes. The FAA backed off and settled for a much smaller fine. I don't think flying BLOS was even an issue.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And yet there's all sorts of additional "unwanted attention" waiting to happen... in District V of all places!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYecj5jYCIA

A fine example of AMA self regulation at work - openly flaunting AMA's turbine speed limit, overflight of non-participating people, overflight of structures, overflight of busy highways. But this waiver holder doesn't stop there, he's also ignoring the AMA's BLOS rule by flying his DJI three miles away! Starting from Lake Point Towers in Palm Beach Florida.

Not only is this waiver holder setting the example on compliance, he's also flying BLOS under the lateral limits of the Palm Beach Class C airspace. Let's see. Beaches, good weather, not like there's any VFR FW or Helo's evr operate below 1200 over water near the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivPMLB_DJtQ
This is a clear violation of AMA rules. Have you made the AMA aware? Send to Dick Hanson or whoever is now doing the safety violation compliance.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That was before there were any rules about BLOS. They cited him for flying dangerously, the Judge threw it out. Adminstrative judges overruled that Judge, but only on the grounds that the FAA has no jurisdiction on model airplanes. The defendant was still going to defend himself on grounds that FAR Part 91 clearly did not cover model airplanes. The FAA backed off and settled for a much smaller fine. I don't think flying BLOS was even an issue.
You are correct...it wasn't an issue.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's great to want to set examples and all, but a process should be followed, and that process shouldn't involve yanking a waiver or pulling an AMA membership because of a video. Not saying that's going to happen here, but I wouldn't be shocked to see that be the natural progression of where this conversation might be going. First it's the turbines, next we'll have folks reporting all types of youtube videos and wanting action taken on those too. The whole concept of due process comes to mind. And also, since I'm sure that a punishment/public display of same will work it's way into the conversation, I'll go ahead and say no, unless that's part of an agreed upon process.
Due process is required for the government. It is not required for the AMA or any other membership organization. That said, the AMA should be able to prove who the person in the video is, that they are an AMA member, and do not have a turbine waiver. After being able to prove this they should kick him out and report him to the FAA.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Then there are the guys that live and breath the role and just sit and watch for the smallest possible issues and make it a big deal.
I think that resembles at least one poster here. But at least sometimes they are justified, and better than a safety officer who does nothing. This case for example.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Due process is required for the government. It is not required for the AMA or any other membership organization. That said, the AMA should be able to prove who the person in the video is, that they are an AMA member, and do not have a turbine waiver. After being able to prove this they should kick him out and report him to the FAA.
Oh I've already been corrected on the due process issue by Franklin. Pedantry issues aside, I completely agree. I think Franklin just wants the guys waiver to be pulled, and probably his AMA membership as well, you know, to set an example. Safety first. If it's not the MR/Drones, it's got to be something else that can be used as a battering ram against the AMA. Based on a video online. It's incontrovertible proof! And there was this one time the guy said he did 269 miles per hour too (look past the fact that he didn't say when, or where, or if it was at a club, or in this country, or he was just boasting...etc etc etc). No, let's play judge and jury from the sidelines (hmm....a trend) and teach this guy a lesson. Well he finally got someone to look into it so all is well. I don't suspect he will like the outcome though, as it probably won't be public, no ticket pulled, no scarlet letter.

Hopefully someone talks to the guy and reminds him about safe operation, and he learns from that and takes corrective action, which is the outcome all would hope for.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:32 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport,

I totally agree, that person needs to go. ASAP. After all he is the one violating long established rules..........all on his own!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:40 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

. I don't think flying BLOS was even an issue.
I wasn't talking about the legal aspects of the case itself, I was speaking about why there was outcry about this flight in the first place and it had EVERYTHING to do with flying BLOS (over people and through buildings). Bad press for our hobby.

Astro
Old 11-02-2016, 04:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Sport,

I totally agree, that person needs to go. ASAP. After all he is the one violating long established rules..........all on his own!
Is this a one strike rule kind of thing? No second change, no corrective action, just poof...gone? Are you telling me you've never seen anyone at your club break a rule? Would the same thing apply for that person? There's no middle ground for this guy, just right to banishment?
Old 11-02-2016, 04:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Oh I've already been corrected on the due process issue by Franklin. Pedantry issues aside, I completely agree. I think Franklin just wants the guys waiver to be pulled, and probably his AMA membership as well, you know, to set an example. Safety first. If it's not the MR/Drones, it's got to be something else that can be used as a battering ram against the AMA. Based on a video online. It's incontrovertible proof! And there was this one time the guy said he did 269 miles per hour too (look past the fact that he didn't say when, or where, or if it was at a club, or in this country, or he was just boasting...etc etc etc). No, let's play judge and jury from the sidelines (hmm....a trend) and teach this guy a lesson. Well he finally got someone to look into it so all is well. I don't suspect he will like the outcome though, as it probably won't be public, no ticket pulled, no scarlet letter.

Hopefully someone talks to the guy and reminds him about safe operation, and he learns from that and takes corrective action, which is the outcome all would hope for.
I agree that there should be a fair investigation, but the proof does not have to be incontrovertible as is required for the government (or at least almost incontrovertible). And no actual due process is required by law, though it is a good idea.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by astrohog
I wasn't talking about the legal aspects of the case itself, I was speaking about why there was outcry about this flight in the first place and it had EVERYTHING to do with flying BLOS (over people and through buildings). Bad press for our hobby.

Astro
No, it was flying over people and very close to them, almost hitting one person. I don't think the FAA even mentioned BLOS. If you are talking about yourself and others, well I don't think one person can say why most people were interested in the story.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Is this a one strike rule kind of thing? No second change, no corrective action, just poof...gone? Are you telling me you've never seen anyone at your club break a rule? Would the same thing apply for that person? There's no middle ground for this guy, just right to banishment?
In this case I think so. Though it could be a temporary ban.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:09 AM
porcia83
Banned

I agree that there should be a fair investigation, but the proof does not have to be incontrovertible as is required for the government (or at least almost incontrovertible). And no actual due process is required by law, though it is a good idea.
Whatever name we assigned the "process", it should be a fair one. I don't think watching one video and kicking someone out of a two organizations is fair. No damages were caused to person or property, and it's possible to have a "teachable" moment here and not go to defcon 1 right out of the gate.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

For most violations I would agree. But if what the video seems to show is true then I believe he should be banned form the AMA for at least a year, This is because a jet turbine can cause much more damage than even a giant scale gasser. And to boot it actually is on the border line of not being an FAA legal model aircraft. The FAA is allowing that with a waiver from the AMA. If AMA clubs or the AMA itself is ignoring that someone is flying jet turbines without a waiver, then the waiver is not worth scat. So then the waiver process means nothing, and when the FAA finds that out they would likely make flying jet turbines completely illegal. So this is too serious to allow this person to remain a member.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:30 AM
franklin_m

And there was this one time the guy said he did 269 miles per hour too (look past the fact that he didn't say when, or where, or if it was at a club, or in this country, or he was just boasting...etc etc etc).
You must have missed it when Andy said it was at Markham Park Florida, where AMA membership is required to fly. You must have also missed where I showed the same pilot posting video of his DJI Phantom at 3 nautical miles away, over the beach and out to sea, under the class C airspace in Ft. Lauderdale. Not like there's any VFR traffic at low altitude over beaches and/or just offshore.

What I'm pointing out this that this is a pattern of behavior. That alone justifies yanking his waiver if he has one. If he doesn't have a waiver, then why is he being permitted by others (also presumably AMA members since they're flying at a field that requires it)? That my friend is a safety culture problem. Not just with the individual (he's the most egregious example though), but by all those who stood by and did nothing.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 AM
franklin_m

One rule?
- Potentially flying w/o waiver
- Flying over parking lots w/ non-participating people
- Flying over buildings
- Flying over camping areas
- Flying over busy highway interchanges
- Flying in excess of AMA speed limit
- Potentially busting lower limit of class C outer ring around Ft. Lauderdale (field located under it, if he went above 1200 feet then he was in class C)
- Failure to follow local safety rules (taxing past posted no taxi line)
Old 11-02-2016, 06:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

For most violations I would agree. But if what the video seems to show is true then I believe he should be banned form the AMA for at least a year, This is because a jet turbine can cause much more damage than even a giant scale gasser. And to boot it actually is on the border line of not being an FAA legal model aircraft. The FAA is allowing that with a waiver from the AMA. If AMA clubs or the AMA itself is ignoring that someone is flying jet turbines without a waiver, then the waiver is not worth scat. So then the waiver process means nothing, and when the FAA finds that out they would likely make flying jet turbines completely illegal. So this is too serious to allow this person to remain a member.
Wait a sec, who is alleging that a club or the AMA is ignoring the fact that someone is flying without a waiver? For that matter who has confirmed that the club or the AMA knew that the guy was flying in this manner? It's been brought to their attention now...at least informally, but there is nothing I can see that indicates either entity knew or approved of this, tacitly or implicitly. I'm not sure I agree on the amount of damage being worse with a turbine, speed alone isn't a factor. Size and weight is also. I think the Mac Hodges plane could do more damage than a smaller turbine trainer jet could, but that's not really the issue...even a foamy can cause catastrophic damages/injuries in the right situation. I don't think any of us are in a position to decide what punishment, if any, should be meted out, but I get that we will have our opinions. Let the process work the way it should. The club should be the first involved, then the AMA if at all.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

You must have missed it when Andy said it was at Markham Park Florida, where AMA membership is required to fly. You must have also missed where I showed the same pilot posting video of his DJI Phantom at 3 nautical miles away, over the beach and out to sea, under the class C airspace in Ft. Lauderdale. Not like there's any VFR traffic at low altitude over beaches and/or just offshore.

What I'm pointing out this that this is a pattern of behavior. That alone justifies yanking his waiver if he has one. If he doesn't have a waiver, then why is he being permitted by others (also presumably AMA members since they're flying at a field that requires it)? That my friend is a safety culture problem. Not just with the individual (he's the most egregious example though), but by all those who stood by and did nothing.
Oh no I caught the video vigilantism....., all duly noted. Perhaps we'll figure out who stood next to him and allowed this to happen, and turn them in as well (assuming they are AMA members). This could lead to a new position in Muncie, someone to watch video submissions and do an NCIS level investigation to track folks down to see if they are AMA members.

We can all be deputized, might even get new shirt pins.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	amainternetpolice.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	2188562  
Old 11-02-2016, 06:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

One rule?
- Potentially flying w/o waiver
- Flying over parking lots w/ non-participating people
- Flying over buildings
- Flying over camping areas
- Flying over busy highway interchanges
- Flying in excess of AMA speed limit
- Potentially busting lower limit of class C outer ring around Ft. Lauderdale (field located under it, if he went above 1200 feet then he was in class C)
- Failure to follow local safety rules (taxing past posted no taxi line)
You: One Rule
Me: One Strike Rule.

You get the difference right?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:21 AM
franklin_m

Wait a sec, who is alleging that a club or the AMA is ignoring the fact that someone is flying without a waiver? For that matter who has confirmed that the club or the AMA knew that the guy was flying in this manner? It's been brought to their attention now...at least informally, but there is nothing I can see that indicates either entity knew or approved of this, tacitly or implicitly. I'm not sure I agree on the amount of damage being worse with a turbine, speed alone isn't a factor. Size and weight is also. I think the Mac Hodges plane could do more damage than a smaller turbine trainer jet could, but that's not really the issue...even a foamy can cause catastrophic damages/injuries in the right situation. I don't think any of us are in a position to decide what punishment, if any, should be meted out, but I get that we will have our opinions. Let the process work the way it should. The club should be the first involved, then the AMA if at all.
I seem to remember seeing other people standing around at the ramp area during the flybys. I also saw a gathering of folks in the pilot area as he taxied in. I guess none of those people noticed a non-waivered pilot flying a turbine?

If they didn't notice that, and it was right in front of them, how in the world would they notice a light civil manned aircraft approaching?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:24 AM
franklin_m

Oh no I caught the video vigilantism....., all duly noted. Perhaps we'll figure out who stood next to him and allowed this to happen, and turn them in as well (assuming they are AMA members). This could lead to a new position in Muncie, someone to watch video submissions and do an NCIS level investigation to track folks down to see if they are AMA members.

We can all be deputized, might even get new shirt pins.

The hyperbolic rhetoric is a veiled attempt to distract from the core issue. Namely multiple serious violations of AMA rules and perhaps a FAR violation or two (if he went above 1200' and into class C), at a field where AMA membership is required, and other AMA members stood watching.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:25 AM
franklin_m

You: One Rule
Me: One Strike Rule.

You get the difference right?
It's a pattern of behavior. One strike and your out.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:30 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Of course he missed it Franklin , he misses everything that can't be easily twisted to fit the "AMA = God , unwashed masses = scum" narrative that he so desperately pushes . The fact that LOTS of "blind eyes" are turned away from these types of violations is plainly evident to anyone who cares to spend an hour or two watching Utube and such . The great thing here is that since I don't fly that way , in any way shape or form , I can 100% disavow the unsafe antics shown on the video hosting sites if ever any high profile incident was to happen . When Andy first said "Markham park , Fla." I googled it and knew in about 10 seconds of reading that an AMA membership most certainly is required to fly there , and I believe Andy did search the name the guy identified himself with in his video(s) and found no turbine waiver associated with that name . But it's all good , since the flyer in question was brought up to try to push one of the many agendas , everything he did or does is just fine , so long as the all important narrative is preserved .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.