Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Model Aviation Flying Event Calendar Somethings Missing

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Model Aviation Flying Event Calendar Somethings Missing

Old 10-22-2016, 03:52 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Aviation Flying Event Calendar Somethings Missing

Every month when I receive MA magazine I always flip to the back to check on events in my area that I might be able to go to. Seems like there's never any drone events listed. I have to ask why. Traditional modeling is dying according to some and drone related hobbyist are taking off, What's the deal?

Mike
Old 10-22-2016, 05:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Mike now that you've mentioned this I did check my October MA and I saw no Drone events listed in my area either . Just pretty much the same events listed every year at the same time ....
Old 10-22-2016, 05:40 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Mike now that you've mentioned this I did check my October MA and I saw no Drone events listed in my area either . Just pretty much the same events listed every year at the same time ....

I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions why. It just seemed weird that there are none. Granted many flying events around the country are not sanctioned and would not be posted there.

Mike
Old 10-22-2016, 07:50 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Every month when I receive MA magazine I always flip to the back to check on events in my area that I might be able to go to. Seems like there's never any drone events listed. I have to ask why. Traditional modeling is dying according to some and drone related hobbyist are taking off, What's the deal?

Mike
Lol....at least someone is reading the mag and not just lining the birdcage with it. But does it really matter how anyone answers this question you already say that there's no such thing as AMA drone users so why would you expect any events? Yet another in a long line of attempts to delegitimize and minimize the multirotor crowd into the hobby. At least this will take over from the AMA is an insurance scam mantra.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions why. It just seemed weird that there are none. Granted many flying events around the country are not sanctioned and would not be posted there.

Mike
Right.... of course you're overlooking the fact that many events involve multiple disciplines of flying not just drones, but why let logic or context work it's way into the discussion.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the people that are having the events do not contact the AMA and let them know to put the information in the back of the Magazine, it won't get there. The AMA is many thing, but mind reader is not one of them. ( at least I don't think so.)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:54 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

every sanctioned event, that is sanctioned within the magazines lead time for publication, gets put in the event calendar. so what the op is referring to, is a lack of sanctioned events for the guys that do the mr racing, and other mr/fixed wing fpv events.

non sanctioned events, i do not know if there is a way to get them listed in the events calendar or not.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:44 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mongo
every sanctioned event, that is sanctioned within the magazines lead time for publication, gets put in the event calendar. so what the op is referring to, is a lack of sanctioned events for the guys that do the mr racing, and other mr/fixed wing fpv events.

non sanctioned events, i do not know if there is a way to get them listed in the events calendar or not.
Bingo. The fact is there are no sanctioned drone events listed there.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-23-2016 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:13 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Some clarifications if I might.

1. 90 days is the minimum for a sanction to appear in the print mag.
2. Any approved sanction, even it doesn't make the print deadline almost immediately shows up on the online calendar.
3. There aren't that many sanctioned so called drone events. I do see them from time to time but not often.
4. The FPV racing SIG folks maintain their own race calendar on the MultiGP web site. I think that the web site they use is integrated to their scoring and event management but it's not really my thing so I don't know for sure.
5. And last, other than FPV racing and the occasional get together, I just don't think the casual drone crowd is interested in what most of us consider events/fly-ins.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:44 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

2. Any approved sanction, even it doesn't make the print deadline almost immediately shows up on the online calendar.
3. There aren't that many sanctioned so called drone events. I do see them from time to time but not often.
4. The FPV racing SIG folks maintain their own race calendar on the MultiGP web site. I think that the web site they use is integrated to their scoring and event management but it's not really my thing so I don't know for sure.
5. And last, other than FPV racing and the occasional get together, I just don't think the casual drone crowd is interested in what most of us consider events/fly-ins.
Granted but NOT ONE is ever listed.
Every other form from control line to jets ( all are SIG's) are listed there except one, drones ( multi rotors).
Why?

Mike
Old 10-24-2016, 03:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Simple, because nobody has joined the AMA who flies MR, and there are no events going on, and no spectators spectatin! Looks like the problem is solved, we don't need to kick anyone out of the AMA or draw any lines of distinction or separation. Now we can go back to wondering about safety issues like will a MR damage an airplane, or complaining about the MA magazine for drone ads.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

+1
Old 10-24-2016, 05:04 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by porcia83
we don't need to kick anyone out of the AMA
Gotta admit , in all my reading of the AMA forum here at RCU , I can not recall one person calling for anyone to be kicked out of the AMA . Can you point me to a thread where someone specifically calls for a member to be kicked out of the AMA for flying any AMA condoned flight classification ?
Old 10-24-2016, 05:44 AM
rcmiket

Gotta admit , in all my reading of the AMA forum here at RCU , I can not recall one person calling for anyone to be kicked out of the AMA . Can you point me to a thread where someone specifically calls for a member to be kicked out of the AMA for flying any AMA condoned flight classification ?
The can't afford to kick anyone out right now.

Mike
Old 10-24-2016, 12:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Assuming you are really looking for the information, it's there. Pick virtually any thread having to do with MR/Drone, you're bound to find what I'm talking about. Heck, even Franklin is starting in on the Turbine guys now too. I presume we'll start seeing video clips from Youtube popping up here now where he'll show a safety violation, or perhaps a lack of a spotter, and he'll hold it up to show how the AMA is failing in terms of safety. Or something like that.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

The can't afford to kick anyone out right now.

Mike
ya, 5th year of increases for membership, they are hurting!
Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM
init4fun

Assuming you are really looking for the information, it's there. Pick virtually any thread having to do with MR/Drone, you're bound to find what I'm talking about. Heck, even Franklin is starting in on the Turbine guys now too. I presume we'll start seeing video clips from Youtube popping up here now where he'll show a safety violation, or perhaps a lack of a spotter, and he'll hold it up to show how the AMA is failing in terms of safety. Or something like that.
Franklin has a thing for safety , yep we'll both agree on that . You see it as nefarious on his part , and I don't see the evil intent in his safety quest that you do . With that stated and out of the way I believe what I remember Franklin to have said is that he thinks there should be more accountability in the event of incidents with all the different forms of UAS . I remember me asking him how could this ever possibly work when unless there is a paper trail (like an insurance claim for an injury or property damage) , whose gonna turn themselves in when no other evidence exists other than a smoking hole in the ground surrounded by balsa (or foam , your choice) ? Do you remember that conversation he and I had ? Now I don't think he laid out any kinds of punishment schedule like removal from the AMA that I recall , in fact I think he declined to post how he'd force compliance with the reporting rule to compile a database because he didn't want to "start a firestorm" was something like what he said (not an exact quote) .

I still don't think there is anybody posting here who wants to see anyone kicked out for flying "drones" as you asserted . Flying BLOS with a MR or fixed wing in defiance of AMA rules ? well I'll leave dealing with that up to the powers that be ....
Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
init4fun

They can't afford to kick anyone out right now.

Mike
ya, 5th year of increases for membership, they are hurting!
What's with all this "They can't afford" and "They are hurting" talk , maybe if we as AMA members started thinking more as "we" instead of "they" , agreements rather than arguments may be easier to come by "round these here parts" ....
Old 10-24-2016, 02:56 PM
rcmiket

What's with all this "They can't afford" and "They are hurting" talk , maybe if we as AMA members started thinking more as "we" instead of "they" , agreements rather than arguments may be easier to come by "round these here parts" ....

They are us and no they ( we ) can't afford to lose any PAYING member. Remember there are over 50,000 members that do not pay dues.

Mike
Old 10-24-2016, 04:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

They are us and no they ( we ) can't afford to lose any PAYING member. Remember there are over 50,000 members that do not pay dues.

Mike
Ya...those darn kids sucking up all those free memberships. The nerve. Of course many of them are becoming paying dues members. Like Andrew Jesky. Or say Tyler McCormack, who started in the hobby via the TAG program (yet another great AMA program). Both fantastic pilots and ambassador to the hobby, one of them even teaches at the TAG/AMA Camps. No more perfect example of what happens with programs put in place by people who actually DO.

Absent in the chronic criticism of the AMA and this benefit (among so many others that aren't liked), you've never actually proposed something different to do with youth programs. You mock and complain so bitterly of the AMA's attempts to attract new members of all ages, but never offer a single viable solution to what you think is a problem (again, 5th year of membership growth). The BB membership drive that got us 900 members and 6 figures worth of dues, a complete waste of time to you. Meaningless, they will never stay with the AMA. Then the spend money via Google...what was that per member fee it ended up costing, about $7.00 per member. Oh that was horrible too, now the AMA is selling out and pandering to get members, so desperate.

By all means, please share what you think would be a better, more meaningful marketing program that would bring in any new members, let alone youths. Do you know what the average age of the membership is, 57 I believe. So, how would you go about attracting new members? Make sure it's free, because it seems that any efforts at new membership should be done expense free. What does your club do specifically? Has the membership grown, whats the age of the new members? We should all be sharing the successes we have at the local level so that we might be able to replicate it nationally.

Think any kid reading the MA donated to his/her school ever read a notice of an event and showed up at a field, or better yet decided to join the AMA?
Old 10-24-2016, 05:06 PM
init4fun

Mike
Ya...those darn kids sucking up all those free memberships. The nerve.
I would like to think that if we actually were having an honest discussion about fiscal solvency , the discussion should be above the emotional aspect of alluding to the free memberships as freeloading , and would stay focused on how many paying members strong are we , as that's what counts toward "keeping the lights on" . I too 100% believe in the free youth memberships and am proud of them , but I can see the analytical side of the fact that our AMA agenda* is being forwarded and funded by 125K folks and not 175K if we have 50K free memberships in our 175K total (or whatever the exact numbers are) . That in my view is not a knock in the least on those free memberships , merely a recognition that we are actually 50K less members when the annual dues revenue is being discussed and considered . Sound fair ?

* The agenda disclaimer ;

I mean nothing by using the word agenda here other than it's strict context definition and it's use is not a jab at the recent past use of the word . For real .
Old 10-24-2016, 05:20 PM
rcmiket

I would like to think that if we actually were having an honest discussion about fiscal solvency , the discussion should be above the emotional aspect of alluding to the free memberships as freeloading , and would stay focused on how many paying members strong are we , as that's what counts toward "keeping the lights on" . I too 100% believe in the free youth memberships and am proud of them , but I can see the analytical side of the fact that our AMA agenda* is being forwarded and funded by 125K folks and not 175K if we have 50K free memberships in our 175K total (or whatever the exact numbers are) . That in my view is not a knock in the least on those free memberships , merely a recognition that we are actually 50K less members when the annual dues revenue is being discussed and considered . Sound fair ?

* The agenda disclaimer ;

I mean nothing by using the word agenda here other than it's strict context definition and it's use is not a jab at the recent past use of the word . For real .
I'd like to now just where did I saw I wanted to cut off the youth memberships or hated kids? Pointing out just who's paying the bills is a FACT nothing more.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-24-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:51 PM
init4fun

I'd like to know just where did I say I wanted to cut off the youth memberships or hated kids? Pointing out just who's paying the bills is a FACT nothing more.

Mike

Mike I know you meant no slur toward the youth memberships and my post was in response to this comment ;

Ya...those darn kids sucking up all those free memberships.
as an attempt to put fourth the notion that a civil discussion of how financially strong we are doesn't need this kind of stuff to be posted . I included your post in my quote for the context of who Porcia was saying this to only , and not to imply that you did indeed see them as freeloaders as Porcia tried to make it look like you did .
Old 10-24-2016, 06:39 PM
franklin_m

Franklin has a thing for safety , yep we'll both agree on that . You see it as nefarious on his part , and I don't see the evil intent in his safety quest that you do . With that stated and out of the way I believe what I remember Franklin to have said is that he thinks there should be more accountability in the event of incidents with all the different forms of UAS . I remember me asking him how could this ever possibly work when unless there is a paper trail (like an insurance claim for an injury or property damage) , whose gonna turn themselves in when no other evidence exists other than a smoking hole in the ground surrounded by balsa (or foam , your choice) ? Do you remember that conversation he and I had ? Now I don't think he laid out any kinds of punishment schedule like removal from the AMA that I recall , in fact I think he declined to post how he'd force compliance with the reporting rule to compile a database because he didn't want to "start a firestorm" was something like what he said (not an exact quote) .

I still don't think there is anybody posting here who wants to see anyone kicked out for flying "drones" as you asserted . Flying BLOS with a MR or fixed wing in defiance of AMA rules ? well I'll leave dealing with that up to the powers that be ....
When I was the authority holding people accountable for their actions, I based my decisions heavily on whether the act was deliberate or not. If someone knows the rules and inadvertently violates one, that's handled one way. On the other hand, if someone knows the rule and deliberately violates it, that's another matter all together. Another factor was the seniority and/or experience level of the individual. More senior and/or experienced people were held to a much higher standard than the youngster. In fact, senior people could not use say "I didn't know" as a defense. They were held to a "knew or should have known" standard.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:14 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

--

Last edited by ira d; 10-24-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: posted in wrong thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.