Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should the AMA charge a membership fee for children.

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Should the AMA charge children to join?
Yes, they should pay just like we do!
42.31%
No, let them keep their piggy banks safe!
57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Should the AMA charge a membership fee for children.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:41 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should the AMA charge a membership fee for children.

Polls around here seem to be an almost perfect bellwether to determine the wants and needs of the AMA membership, so I figured I'd see what 20-40 people think about the above noted question.

Although there doesn't appear to be a shortage of operating funds at the present, and the membership numbers keep going up and up, (no doubt due to the AMAs newest and largest SIG, the MultiGP), it appears that's not enough. Some here have suggested charging a fee for youths to join, as high as $30.00 in one instance. With over 50k in that membership category, that would surely mean a significant increase in dues, ostensibly more to hand out to clubs perhaps, or for upkeep at Muncie. There is no shortage of ways the money could be spent, but it's more likely than not membership in that area would drop with the dues. That could be the basis for another poll. This one is easy though.

Should the chidren pay a fee, what say yee?

Last edited by porcia83; 10-30-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:16 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Please provide some facts that mgp members are the latest and greatest "new" members of the ama.

You keep touting this on all of your threads all based off of a counter you saw when you clicked on their home page.
Any facts to back up your statements or shall we keep on with your spinning agenda?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:23 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, I got the first vote in - and I voted YES. However, I might add that NO KID OUT THERE NEEDS TO BE PAYING THE FULL ADULT MEMBERSHIP FEE.

IMHO, Yes, I believe you should pay for services you receive. Nothing should be free - wouldn't serve AMA, wouldn't serve the kids. But I also believe kids need to be given a break on how much is paid - like any other thing, this should be as much educational as fiscal. I think it could actually be made into a new category of membership - YOUTH - something like 5-10 year olds (or whatever ages those many people who are smarter than me might determine) for $10/year, 11-18 yrs for 20/year.

The income could help AMA guide the kids in the proper way to do things. Actually paying something would help the kids learn to be better citizens.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
OK, I got the first vote in - and I voted YES. However, I might add that NO KID OUT THERE NEEDS TO BE PAYING THE FULL ADULT MEMBERSHIP FEE.

IMHO, Yes, I believe you should pay for services you receive. Nothing should be free - wouldn't serve AMA, wouldn't serve the kids. But I also believe kids need to be given a break on how much is paid - like any other thing, this should be as much educational as fiscal. I think it could actually be made into a new category of membership - YOUTH - something like 5-10 year olds (or whatever ages those many people who are smarter than me might determine) for $10/year, 11-18 yrs for 20/year.

The income could help AMA guide the kids in the proper way to do things. Actually paying something would help the kids learn to be better citizens.
Thanks for the vote and comments.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Please provide some facts that mgp members are the latest and greatest "new" members of the ama.

You keep touting this on all of your threads all based off of a counter you saw when you clicked on their home page.
Any facts to back up your statements or shall we keep on with your spinning agenda?
Hi Brian,
Welcome to the thread! The question is noted above, you can vote using the two options, or you can leave a comment in the thread about how you might vote. As for the rest of it, let's try just for once to leave the drama out of a thread for a change, o/k? If you want to continue the other conversation we can go round and round in the other threads, or you can start your own. Fair enough?

What would your vote be?
Old 10-30-2016, 03:51 PM
franklin_m

I think a more fair question to ask would have been:

"Should people under 19 and under* receive free AMA memberships?"
or
"Should people 19 and under* be charged for their members an amount that renders it revenue neutral to the other members of the AMA?"

* Free AMA Youth Membership is valid through age 19 as of July 1
Old 10-30-2016, 05:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I think a more fair question to ask would have been:

"Should people under 19 and under* receive free AMA memberships?"
or
"Should people 19 and under* be charged for their members an amount that renders it revenue neutral to the other members of the AMA?"

* Free AMA Youth Membership is valid through age 19 as of July 1
You can start your own poll and ask the question you want, I asked the question I wanted. You know it's impossible to ask a poll question that makes everyone happy lol. Thanks for the comments nonetheless, and/or your vote.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:33 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that children should receive reduced dues, but they should pay enough to cover whatever it costs the AMA to carry a member (magazine, insurance, etc.).

The AMA is NOT a charity, it is a by the modelers, for the modelers organization, and its' membership should understand that it is supported in a large part by membership dues.

Astro
Old 10-30-2016, 09:43 PM
vin76
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we could categorize by age groups 5-10 yrs $10, 11-14yrs $20,
15 - 19yrs $25 or $30 whatever covers AMA cost.
I think paying would make kids realize at an early age that nothing comes free n therefore they would realize the importance of education and hopefully better financial planning for themselves.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
I think that children should receive reduced dues, but they should pay enough to cover whatever it costs the AMA to carry a member (magazine, insurance, etc.).

The AMA is NOT a charity, it is a by the modelers, for the modelers organization, and its' membership should understand that it is supported in a large part by membership dues.

Astro
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 03:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by vin76
I think we could categorize by age groups 5-10 yrs $10, 11-14yrs $20,
15 - 19yrs $25 or $30 whatever covers AMA cost.
I think paying would make kids realize at an early age that nothing comes free n therefore they would realize the importance of education and hopefully better financial planning for themselves.
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 03:28 AM
rcmiket

Reduced dues would be the way to do it. IMO. Might as learn early on that nothing in life is free.

Mike
Old 10-31-2016, 03:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Reduced dues would be the way to do it. IMO. Might as learn early on that nothing in life is free.

Mike
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 04:57 AM
bruceal

I would go with reduced dues as well. Even $10.00 or $15.00. Some of the additional revenue could go towards purchasing another sim equipped trailer. While the current unit is great, the AMA needs more than one.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by bruceal
I would go with reduced dues as well. Even $10.00 or $15.00. Some of the additional revenue could go towards purchasing another sim equipped trailer. While the current unit is great, the AMA needs more than one.
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 06:35 AM
rcmiket

Here are 3 "hobby" related organizations that have family or reduced memberships for those underage.

http://www.nar.org/

http://www.tripoli.org/

http://www.roarracing.com/

Mike
Old 11-01-2016, 09:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

Holy cow we got us a barn burner here, we are closing in on 20 actual votes here, the suspense is palpable. So far a huge, overwhelming, and demonstrable majority have spoken. I bet folks are sitting up and taking notice.

Keep those votes coming in, my goal is to see maybe 40, then we"ll have a mandate.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:23 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think any child that has a parent that is already a AMA member should receive free membership. The reason I say that is because the free membership could help to bring more young people into the hobby
and it could be prohibitively expensive if a parent had to pay dues for all their kids.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:27 AM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks for the comments Ira!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:50 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Actual costs, rounded off of course!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Actual costs, rounded off of course!
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2016, 05:37 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I think any child that has a parent that is already a AMA member should receive free membership. The reason I say that is because the free membership could help to bring more young people into the hobby
and it could be prohibitively expensive if a parent had to pay dues for all their kids.
Totally agree, we have a hard enough time getting kids to take up the hobby now, start charging them and it will become harder in my opinion. If there is a paying parent then they should be free until they reach age 18. If there is no parent member then there should be some reasonable fee, just like many clubs charge. Remember that most kids will only get to go to a flying field if a parent takes them, until they are able to drive. Maybe a 3rd option needs to be added to the poll, "like only if there is no paying adult"
Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Totally agree, we have a hard enough time getting kids to take up the hobby now, start charging them and it will become harder in my opinion. If there is a paying parent then they should be free until they reach age 18. If there is no parent member then there should be some reasonable fee, just like many clubs charge. Remember that most kids will only get to go to a flying field if a parent takes them, until they are able to drive. Maybe a 3rd option needs to be added to the poll, "like only if there is no paying adult"
A free membership ( or even a paid membership ) does not guarantee participation. They actually have to want to pursue the hobby.

Mike
Old 11-02-2016, 05:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Thanks for the comments! No new questions added....trying to keep it simple...
Old 11-02-2016, 09:24 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
A free membership ( or even a paid membership ) does not guarantee participation. They actually have to want to pursue the hobby.

Mike
That goes without saying, I would however have the free membership expire every year and those interested would have to renew every year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.