Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Spaceport America Drone Summit

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Spaceport America Drone Summit

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 05:15 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spaceport America Drone Summit

While reading over the event "rules" I came across this.

All pilots must have registered their drone with the FAA at https://registermyuas.faa.gov and be current members of the AMA https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinrenew.aspx.

http://spaceportamericadronesummit.com/racetrack-rules/

First I've seen of a event requiring FAA registration.

Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 05:22 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. First I've heard of having to register an individual "drone", as opposed to the pilot registering....

Is this something specific to drone racing?

Astro
Old 11-04-2016, 05:32 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
Interesting. First I've heard of having to register an individual "drone", as opposed to the pilot registering....

Is this something specific to drone racing?

Astro
No and I'll bet the fixed wing demo guys will need to provide proof also. I'm pretty sure they are referring to pilot rather than drone registered.
Again all I'm pointing out is this is the first I've seen or read about FAA registration being required and I imagine checked at a event.

Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 06:23 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm pretty sure they are referring to pilot rather than drone registered.
It would be nice if they used specific words with specific meanings. There are plenty of "gray areas", mis-interpretation and mis-information around regarding all of the rules and regulations, it would be helpful if they used proper, specific terms when communicating to the masses.

Astro
Old 11-04-2016, 06:31 AM
rcmiket

It would be nice if they used specific words with specific meanings. There are plenty of "gray areas", mis-interpretation and mis-information around regarding all of the rules and regulations, it would be helpful if they used proper, specific terms when communicating to the masses.

Astro
True makes me wonder just who they looked at for advise on these things. I would imagine the AMA was involved since they are a sponsor. I would think that someone would catch such a blatant error.

Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 10:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Astro
No gray area, registration is required for the pilot, it's always been that way since this started.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:08 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crystal clear directions. Not sure what is confusing about their registration AND AMA membership requirement. They even went so far as to spell out pilot/spotter requirements.

Good to see they also noted the traditional aircraft that will be flying demos, including turbines. Nice !!!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:54 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
No gray area, registration is required for the pilot, it's always been that way since this started.
Originally Posted by porcia83
Crystal clear
Well, the quote in Mike's original post read, "Register your drone".
I beg either one of you to show me how or where I can "Register" a drone. It didn't read, "Pilot must register". There has been a lot of confusion on this topic, especially with folks not as involved or newer to the hobby.

Astro
Old 11-04-2016, 12:08 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I understand who and what needs to be registered with the FAA.
My post was to call attention to that this is the first event I have seen where registration was actually mentioned as a requirement for entry. So is this going to be the norm in the future? The AMA has made it a point in writing in the FAQ's on registration that registration checks were not club and club officers responsibility.
Anyone think this policy may change?

Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 12:35 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Mike , The club I belong to has right on the yearly application a place for the FAA number right next to the AMA number . This is because the agreement with the land specifies that all applicable laws must be followed so that the landowner is not liable for folks breaking the law on the property . Yes I do believe as we get further along with the new regulations that an FAA number will be right next to an AMA number for pretty much everything beyond flying in your own backyard with small sub parkflyer sized planes .
Old 11-04-2016, 01:17 PM
cj_rumley

I beg either one of you to show me how or where I can "Register" a drone. It didn't read, "Pilot must register". There has been a lot of confusion on this topic, especially with folks not as involved or newer to the hobby.

Astro
Astro, try this -

FAA requires registration of drones. One registration number is applicable to all the drones an individual owns. Some have incorrectly interpreted that the pilot is registered under the false presumption that the owner of the drone is necessarily the pilot. An individual other than the owner may pilot a registered drone, and is not required to have a personal registration or own a registered drone.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:50 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Astro, try this -

FAA requires registration of drones. One registration number is applicable to all the drones an individual owns. Some have incorrectly interpreted that the pilot is registered under the false presumption that the owner of the drone is necessarily the pilot. An individual other than the owner may pilot a registered drone, and is not required to have a personal registration or own a registered drone.
The person who that registration number is assigned to would be the responsible party if that number was involved in a "issue" would it not? Why would anyone in their right mind want someone else using their number? Seems risky to me considering the consequences.

Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 03:26 PM
cj_rumley

The person who that registration number is assigned to would be the responsible party if that number was involved in a "issue" would it not? Why would anyone in their right mind want someone else using their number? Seems risky to me considering the consequences.

Mike
IANAL, Mike -
I'm sure it varies from one agency to another, but as a 'for example' to show it doesn't always apply, when some CA cities contracted for red light camera services, a violator could get off if he wasn't identifiable from the camera image and denied he was driving when the infraction was recorded. Not compelled to finger the 'other' driver, either.
At any rate I frequently fly model airplanes registered to others, both for instruction and test/trim flights, and for a bud that loves modeling but is vision impaired to an extent that would make it unsafe. Nothing that unusual or improper, no more than when I'm driving a car registered to Avis or sailing a boat that belongs to a dealer or marina.

edit to add: the situations i mentioned involved use of others registered vehicles with permission. You know the 'what if' sans that condition.

Last edited by cj_rumley; 11-04-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:34 PM
rcmiket

IANAL, Mike -
I'm sure it varies from one agency to another, but as a 'for example' to show it doesn't always apply, when some CA cities contracted for red light camera services, a violator could get off if he wasn't identifiable from the camera image and denied he was driving when the infraction was recorded. Not compelled to finger the 'other' driver, either.
At any rate I frequently fly model airplanes registered to others, both for instruction and test/trim flights, and for a bud that loves modeling but is vision impaired to an extent that would make it unsafe. Nothing that unusual or improper, no more than when I'm driving a car registered to Avis or sailing a boat that belongs to a dealer or marina.
How am I being "anal" ?
Were dealing with the FAA here and the FAA only. Their ball and their rules and I'm not going to try and interpret any of it. It is what it is.
You show up at the drone summit and show your AMA card with the name Joe Blow. They ask for your FAA card that has Harry Who-cares on it just how will that will work out?
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-04-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:52 PM
init4fun

Astro
Hi Astro , I thought the way it was gonna work is that any "drone" flown for hobby purposes will have the one pilot registration for all of his (or her) hobby drones but once the drone gets big enough or commercial and is flown under 107 then the drone itself will need to be registered , along with the pilot registration that is a part of 107 .
Old 11-04-2016, 03:56 PM
init4fun

How am I being "anal" ?
Were dealing with the FAA here and the FAA only. Their ball and their rules and I'm not going to try and interpret any of it. It is what it is.
You show up at the drone summit and show your AMA card with the name Joe Blow. They ask for your FAA card that has Harry Who-cares on it just how will that will work out?
Mike
Hi Mike , You lost me with that . How would someone have an AMA card with one name and an FAA card with a different name ? If you borrowed your friend's drone wouldn't both you AMA and FAA cards still have your name on them ?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:58 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Mike , You lost me with that . How would someone have an AMA card with one name and an FAA card with a different name ? If you borrowed your friend's drone wouldn't both you AMA and FAA cards still have your name on them ?
I was responding to Post #13 In reference to using other peoples equipment. Please remember this whole topic is about the requirement the "powers to be" made that you had to have FAA and AMA to fly at the drone summit.
Not about flying at the local field where nobody cares.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-04-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:14 PM
cj_rumley

How am I being "anal" ?
Mike
Whoa, Mike

I Am Not A Lawyer
Old 11-04-2016, 04:26 PM
rcmiket

Whoa, Mike

I Am Not A Lawyer

Sorry man maybe I need glasses.

Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 04:52 PM
bdoxey
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True makes me wonder just who they looked at for advise on these things. I would imagine the AMA was involved since they are a sponsor. I would think that someone would catch such a blatant error.

Mike

I think the problem starts with the FAA. Here's the wording on their very own faa.gov page concerning registration:

[h=1]Welcome to the Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) Registration Service[/h] This site will allow you to register your small UAS with the FAA and update your registration.

I believe the answer is.....the whole thing is messed up at the source. Your tax dollars at work.

Bryan
Old 11-05-2016, 05:33 AM
init4fun

I was responding to Post #13 In reference to using other peoples equipment. Please remember this whole topic is about the requirement the "powers to be" made that you had to have FAA and AMA to fly at the drone summit.
Not about flying at the local field where nobody cares.

Mike
Hi Mike , To keep the topic event focused I'd have to say that even though the AMA's FAQs have said that the AMA wont make it the club's responsibility to check for FAA registration , a club running an event will likely want to check for the FAA registration themselves if for no other reason than to legally protect the club by insuring all pilots are indeed in compliance with the FAA requirement . The mention of my club was in reference to the point that once a year when the annual membership renewal is done the FAA number is right next to the AMA number and so all members are known by the club officers to be good with both the FAA & AMA . But at a flying event where there may be more than just the members of one club , how would the club officers running the event know who had their AMA & FAA in order without asking to see the person's AMA & FAA numbers ?

I believe in the future any such event like this drone one or any other public RC outing beyond one's club will require proof of AMA & FAA registration if for no other reason than to protect the event's organizers . This wont be mandated from the AMA to be done , It'll be mandated by the club running the event to protect themselves from not registered pilots flying at their event .
Old 11-05-2016, 05:41 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Mike , To keep the topic event focused I'd have to say that even though the AMA's FAQs have said that the AMA wont make it the club's responsibility to check for FAA registration , a club running an event will likely want to check for the FAA registration themselves if for no other reason than to legally protect the club by insuring all pilots are indeed in compliance with the FAA requirement . The mention of my club was in reference to the point that once a year when the annual membership renewal is done the FAA number is right next to the AMA number and so all members are known by the club officers to be good with both the FAA & AMA . But at a flying event where there may be more than just the members of one club , how would the club officers running the event know who had their AMA & FAA in order without asking to see the person's AMA & FAA numbers ?

I believe in the future any such event like this drone one or any other public RC outing beyond one's club will require proof of AMA & FAA registration if for no other reason than to protect the event's organizers . This wont be mandated from the AMA to be done , It'll be mandated by the club running the event to protect themselves from not registered pilots flying at their event .
Fair enough. If that's the case than the AMA must change it's stance on this. As a club officer I'm not a cop and not in favor of making club officers check on FAA Registration. If I recall correctly your clubs landowner required FAA along with AMA that's different altogether. If our landowner required that proof also I'm afraid than it becomes a club officers responsibility.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-05-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:04 AM
init4fun

Fair enough. If that's the case than the AMA must change it's stance on this. As a club officer I'm not a cop and not in favor of making club officers check on FAA Registration. If I recall correctly your clubs landowner required FAA along with AMA that's different altogether. If our landowner required that proof also I'm afraid than it becomes a club officers responsibility.
Mike
Mike , I do 101% agree with you that a club officer should never have to check for FAA compliance because to me the whole notion of FAA registration on top of AMA membership is crazy , an AMA membership should have been enough to keep one from having to get an FAA registration in the first place . But here we are , FAA registration is required by the FAA to fly what we fly and so a pilot is not legal without it . Now , yes indeed the landowner of my club wants everyone following all applicable laws to cover him from liability and has this spelled out in writing , and going forward I can see where ALL clubs who run events are gonna want to cover their own Butts by making sure all pilots are in fact legal to fly . It wont have to be an AMA decreed thing that clubs check for FAA at events , the clubs themselves will want to do it to protect themselves and their officers from an ugly lawsuit should the unthinkabe ever happen with an event participant who was flying without the required FAA registration .
Old 11-05-2016, 06:49 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Astro, try this -

It doesn't matter how many times some people are told this they just don't listen. Again, the FAA ahs always required that aircraft be registered. They made an exception for hobbyists in that one registration number is good for all hobby aircraft owned by that person.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:50 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

And Mike, you must have been sleeping all year because many contests have required the FAA registration information be known.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.