Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ama expo west

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ama expo west

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
In the past there was always some form of coverage on various forums I can't find a single picture anywhere.

Mike
When I was there Friday I thought I saw Jim Graham from rc groups filming but I cant see his posts or blogs about the show
Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also noticed quite a few middle aged men at the show....and much fewer "OLD" men like me (73 and counting)!
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjetflyer0718-RCU
When I was there Friday I thought I saw Jim Graham from rc groups filming but I cant see his posts or blogs about the show
So far nothing.

Mike
Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM
tailskid

Usually Mike Herr covers the show for RCG but I didn't see him there either.....
Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Sunny_B

Default AMA Expo West

I have to say this is the third Expo I have attended and been very, very disappointed. This used to be a gathering of Flyers and venders. No matter what your interests it was exhibited and products to purchase were available. I went and found that nothing I was looking for was there. It was not even a good representation of drones ( the new craze).. I don't believe I will be at any future expos. It wasn't worth the price of the ticket or the $10.00 parking a good distance from the center. Good luck to the new generation of flyers.
Sunny_B
Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree the show was a big disappointment compared to previous years, I don’t what can be done to improve things but something needs to be done.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 AM
rcmiket

Thanks guys for.your input. It will be interesting to see how the East Coast Expo goes in February.

Mike
Old 01-09-2017, 08:36 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ira d
I agree the show was a big disappointment compared to previous years, I don’t what can be done to improve things but something needs to be done.
It'll be interesting to see how it will be characterized in upcoming AMA communications. Will it be "Greatest ever" ... "Most successful" ... or "Well attended" ... "Big crowds" etc.?

If indeed it was more poorly attended, as I suspect it was, AMA has to confront this is yet another data point on top of "Open adult membership renewals are on the decline" and other similar leading indicators. Maybe plowing more money into "Taj Muncie" instead of where most members actually fly (local clubs) is not a successful strategy? I mean if local clubs aren't as nice as Muncie, then why not switch to park fliers and take advantage of a lot more locations? Seems that many are making that decision: "As the dues went up, the Park Pilot memberships increased almost 33%, 2015 to 2016."
Old 01-09-2017, 01:20 PM
rcmiket

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=207790

I just ran across this.

Mike
Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM
warningshot

By the looks of the pictures , not much of a crowd.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM
rcmiket

Seems that way.

Mike
Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM
tailskid

I think those were taken on Friday AM as some pics show NO ONE which means he took them before the show opened and then continued taking pics.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Thats correct, many of those were shot before the show opened for the day.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:49 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Thats correct, many of those were shot before the show opened for the day.

How was the attendance?

Mike
Old 01-09-2017, 04:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Friday and Sunday were light, Saturday was pretty steady. I dont have the numbers.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Silent-AV8R

I only attended on Sunday, but it was as light a crowd as I can ever recall in the numerous years I have been there on Sundays. There seemed most of the time to be more vendors than attendees.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:00 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
I think those were taken on Friday AM as some pics show NO ONE which means he took them before the show opened and then continued taking pics.
Some of the pics showed the swap shop that was not open on Friday so some of the pics had to be taken on Sat or Sun after the show opened. I went on Friday and there was definitely a light crowd I noticed that as
soon as I pulled in the parking lot. Inside I was able to talk to a couple of vendors and make some hardware purchases a lot easier than in previous years.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:17 AM
franklin_m

I think AMA is going to need more than "steady" if they want to still be around in ten years.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Friday and Sunday were light, Saturday was pretty steady. I dont have the numbers.
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I only attended on Sunday, but it was as light a crowd as I can ever recall in the numerous years I have been there on Sundays. There seemed most of the time to be more vendors than attendees.

Thanks guys any "revelations at the AMA / FAA Q&A?

Mike
Old 02-12-2017, 06:47 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I was on the west coast for business and went to the show. I was open about the disappointment from the NY show and thought this west coast show would be incredible. To say I was saddened by the state of the industry is the best way of describing the show. Sparse, companies going under and local clubs and or shops with the biggest presence.
I live in Pa and will defiantly not attend show east.
Over the past few years I have found the best show are simple giant swap meets, as we know individual hobbiest have more planes and parts then most Hobby shops these days so swap meets are a wealth of fun and eye candy.
If your on the east coast or have any reason to be in March get to the Central Pa swap meet in Litiz Pa , you wont regret the experience.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by LDM
If your on the east coast or have any reason to be in March get to the Central Pa swap meet in Litiz Pa , you wont regret the experience.
Just between us Pennsylvanians, don't get how Lilitz (east of York) is considered "central". But I digress.

In all seriousness, what are the dates? I travel a lot for business, so don't know if I can make it, but at least I can put a marker on my calendar.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:36 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Lol , I hear you, I travel the USA and get a kick out people on the west telling me that the Hobby King Warhouse in ARK is the east coast DC lol !!
Show info from last year and this years dates , I will double check the dates, they have been known to post wrong dates

The 2016 event is now history. Hope everyone had a good day both buying and selling. Thanks to all who participated as either a buyer or a seller. It is you folks who make this event possible and such a success year after year. Look for info on next years event here. The date is March 11, 2017. Hope to see all of you there.Keep watching this space for more info. Remember advanced tickets will speed entry the day of the event. Click here to order your Advanced tickets.
Building layout below showing identification of rows in each space

[HR][/HR]
AS always you should plan to reserve you spaces as early as possible. Also remember that ADVANCED GENERAL ADMISSION TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE AGAIN THIS YEAR. Entry the day of the event will go much easier and smoother with this feature. See the ticket sales page and the flier for information about advanced tickets
For future planning here are the next dates for this event.
March 11, 2017 – March 10, 2018
Plan accordingly to attend

[h=3]Leave A Reply [/h]You must be logged in to post a comment.