Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Expo East

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Expo East

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by style fly
I was at the expo all 3 days as a vendor. As I saw it, Friday was a bit slow , however the people that were there did show lots of interest. We went home Friday night nervous that Saturday would be a repeat- that was not the case- The expo was packed. At the BOB DIVELY booth, were slammed all day. You could not get through the isles. We had a fantastic day that was well worth attending. OK, for Sunday , yes it thinned out but we were able to make some great sales and gave out some advise to what was left of the builders in the hobby. Keep in mind that Sunday the DAYTONA 500 was on, so I think that kept the crowd lite as well. The AMA did a fantastic job with this event and the layout was very refreshing. I hear a lot of people *****ing on how " the show is a dud" -well perhaps if more hobby shops would get involved with this event and stop complaining about the hobby "that its dying" perhaps it could be saved by inspiring not just the young crowd but there whole families. I'm not sure what everybody wants to see at this event ? Unless the AMA is giving away free flights up to space nobody will be happy- then again I'm sure you guys would complain about that too. I'm looking forward to next year.
I'm skeptical that RC flying and NASCAR pull from the same demographic. But that's just me. I'm glad you were busy. I'm glad it's a good show for local folks who's cost of attendance is low. But for those of us that live outside the area, AMA thinking that I'm going to drive five plus hours one way, probably at least one night in a hotel due to driving distance, and pay for a ticket on top of that -- just to save a few dollars? Maybe? Granted, I'm not one that turns toward "Taj-Muncie" every morninig and chants "I'm not worthy," so for me cost/benefit is a major factor. You're a businessman, I'm sure you get that point.

I'm one where it's about time, logistics, and bang for the buck. While I love the idea of a LHS, in my experience it's been a bust. For example, I value my dollar and I'm not going to pay more and wait for parts that I could have had sooner and more quickly from Amazon prime (with greater selection). With the Internet forums, I can get most questions answered so that I don't need to go in and touch things anymore.

Online folks have really figured out the customer service thing. They work to earn my business as opposed to trying to shame me into spending more because of some unwritten book of things I "should" do.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Nice report.

I don't know about the northeast but I can promise you down here NASCAR and RC guys (myself excluded I could care less) are well intertwined. In fact I know several NASCAR people that are involved in the hobby.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Nice report.

I don't know about the northeast but I can promise you down here NASCAR and RC guys (myself excluded I could care less) are well intertwined. In fact I know several NASCAR people that are involved in the hobby.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't NASCAR something integrated in the DNA south of the Ohio River and east of the Mississippi? I know hydroplane racing is in the DNA in Madison IN and Seattle WA so why should NASCAR be any different in the south?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:48 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice report.

Interesting that NASCAR would be mentioned , seeing how it's facing quite the decline of it's own . If you folks down south are that much of die hard NASCAR racing fans you'd best be getting your butts back into the seats since audience attendance figures are down to close to half of their all time high and the attendance slump continues in a downward trend . (just type "NASCAR attendance decline" in your search bar to read of the attendence and TV ratings drop that NASCAR is presently suffering through)

And no , here in the northeast , especially Boston , NASCAR ain't all that popular , maybe because the day to day driving on Route 3 looks kinda like NASCAR so no one wants to watch a replay of their daily commute to work and back .....
Old 03-02-2017, 05:12 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Interesting that NASCAR would be mentioned , seeing how it's facing quite the decline of it's own . If you folks down south are that much of die hard NASCAR racing fans you'd best be getting your butts back into the seats since audience attendance figures are down to close to half of their all time high and the attendance slump continues in a downward trend . (just type "NASCAR attendance decline" in your search bar to read of the attendence and TV ratings drop that NASCAR is presently suffering through)

And no , here in the northeast , especially Boston , NASCAR ain't all that popular , maybe because the day to day driving on Route 3 looks kinda like NASCAR so no one wants to watch a replay of their daily commute to work and back .....

Me and my flying buddies are all NASCAR fans and not one of us were born in the south. The popularity decline was due to several reasons over the last 8 years the economy tanking was a huge reason. Doing a 3 day excursion race is a pretty penny when you figure in travel , room and board and tickets.

Mike
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Me and my flying buddies are all NASCAR fans and not one of us were born in the south. The popularity decline was due to several reasons over the last 8 years the economy tanking was a huge reason. Doing a 3 day excursion race is a pretty penny when you figure in travel , room and board and tickets.

Mike
Kinda like it's expensive to attend RC Expo East unless you live locally (gas, food, lodging, tickets). Especially when one could sthe vendor page and see the lackluster support from big names. Looking at the list, one might be tempted to think it was the Academy of Model Aqua-nautics!
Old 03-02-2017, 05:40 AM
franklin_m

Nice report.

So, reports here indicate the west coast event was also attended more lightly than in the past. Was there a NASCAR race that same day too?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

No idea, I told you I'm not a fan. I went to exactly one Daytona 500 because a customer gave me a package that included hospitality passes, good seats, and free parking.

It was neat once but I wouldn't do it again.

Now, Unlimited Hydroplane Racing, that I can get into!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

No idea, I told you I'm not a fan. I went to exactly one Daytona 500 because a customer gave me a package that included hospitality passes, good seats, and free parking.

It was neat once but I wouldn't do it again.

Now, Unlimited Hydroplane Racing, that I can get into!
Then this should make you happy.
June 17 has an Unlimited test session in Guntersville Alabama
June 30-July is the Madison Regatta and, trust me, THAT ONE IS WORTH GOING TO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say that from experience
Old 03-04-2017, 10:33 AM
init4fun

Mike
Hi Mike ,

One of the articles I read actually went as far as citing NASCAR's lack of edgy/charismatic characters compared to years past as one of the several reasons for the decline . Who knows ? could be , folks just love the whole good guy VS bad guy thing , it's what the WWF lived on all those years
Old 03-04-2017, 11:39 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Mike ,

One of the articles I read actually went as far as citing NASCAR's lack of edgy/charismatic characters compared to years past as one of the several reasons for the decline . Who knows ? could be , folks just love the whole good guy VS bad guy thing , it's what the WWF lived on all those years
Now with Tony Stewart retired we lost another fun to watch racer. We'll have to see who emerges as or next "edgy/charismatic character", I'm sure someone will pickup the slack.

Mike
Old 03-05-2017, 07:57 AM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now with Tony Stewart retired we lost another fun to watch racer. We'll have to see who emerges as or next "edgy/charismatic character", I'm sure someone will pickup the slack.

Mike
A couple of younger drivers come to mind, Logano and Keslowski. Chase Elliot and Daniel Suarez will also be ones to watch in the near future.

Back to the op's subject...two fellow club members and I made the 8 hr. round trip from VT. We all agreed on one thing...it will be our last AMA Expo trip.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:57 AM
init4fun

Mike
Hi Mike ,

Damn the years fly by , huh ? This is how I remember Tony Stewart and to think of him retiring just makes me feel , , old .....

Originally Posted by dryverman
A couple of younger drivers come to mind, Logano and Keslowski. Chase Elliot and Daniel Suarez will also be ones to watch in the near future.

Back to the op's subject...two fellow club members and I made the 8 hr. round trip from VT. We all agreed on one thing...it will be our last AMA Expo trip.
Hi dryverman ,

Can I ask what turned you off about the event ? Was it too sparsely populated ? Was there no real value to you as an RC modeler to have made the 8 hour round trip ? I do believe the trade show is going the way of the dinosaur , trade shows having been the entertainment of a different age that don't really mesh with today's instant accessibility of info & bargains on line .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tony Stewart.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	2204031  
Old 03-05-2017, 10:35 AM
rcmiket

Keep a eye on Bell in the truck series. He's going to be a good one.

Mike
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM
rcmiket

[QUOTE=init4fun;12312708] Hi Mike ,

Damn the years fly by , huh ? This is how I remember Tony Stewart and to think of him retiring just makes me feel , , old .....

You and me both.

Mike
Old 03-05-2017, 12:56 PM
dryverman

Hi dryverman ,

Can I ask what turned you off about the event ? Was it too sparsely populated ? Was there no real value to you as an RC modeler to have made the 8 hour round trip ? I do believe the trade show is going the way of the dinosaur , trade shows having been the entertainment of a different age that don't really mesh with today's instant accessibility of info & bargains on line .[/QUOTE]

My interest in the hobby is mainly giant scale...other than a few very nicely done models on static display, there wasn't much for me to get excited about. I'm just not into drone racing or r/c boats.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:59 PM
dryverman

Hi dryverman ,

Can I ask what turned you off about the event ? Was it too sparsely populated ? Was there no real value to you as an RC modeler to have made the 8 hour round trip ? I do believe the trade show is going the way of the dinosaur , trade shows having been the entertainment of a different age that don't really mesh with today's instant accessibility of info & bargains on line .
My interest in the hobby is mainly giant scale...other than a few very nicely done models on static display, there wasn't much for me to get excited about. I'm just not into drone racing or r/c boats.[/QUOTE]

Sorry...double post...

Last edited by dryverman; 03-07-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 AM
rcboaterbill

A trio of us drove down from New England to attend yesterday. ( Saturday, 23 Feb 2019.)

To us, it felt like the show is in a death spiral- fewer exhibitors, nothing really new to see, lighter attendance. Our feeling was that when a hobby show is resorting to Anderson replacement windows, real estate, and other non-hobby vendors to try to fill the floor, that it is on the way out.

We probably won’t bother doing the “four hour each way” drive in the future....
Old 02-24-2019, 08:27 AM
fliers1

I guess when it gets to the point where there are more vendors than spectators, it may be time to shut it down.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:16 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

With the current state of the AMA they really don't have the money or time to spend(waste) on things like this. Sponsoring this trade show is not going to cure their financial woes or bring in more members.The AMA needs to get their house in order
Old 02-24-2019, 09:30 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
With the current state of the AMA they really don't have the money or time to spend(waste) on things like this. Sponsoring this trade show is not going to cure their financial woes or bring in more members.The AMA needs to get their house in order
AMA Chief Financial Officer Keith Sessions:He asked at what point do you determine that traditions no longer have the importance they once did (ex.: trade shows, competitions) and suggested considering strategic changes in allocation of available funding.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:36 AM
franklin_m

Which one of the esteemed "Knights of the Model Aircraft Roundtable" pushed this idea? Not that anyone will be voted out of office for wasting members' money or making poor strategic decisions (like this). The prior EVP referred to AMA leadership as "pretty smart," so think it would be good to know which one of them came up with the Edsel that is Expo East.

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-24-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Appowner
Banned

Isn't this the one previously known as the WRAMS or something like that? In Baltimore?
Old 02-24-2019, 03:30 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Appowner
Isn't this the one previously known as the WRAMS or something like that? In Baltimore?
Yes . It used to be in White Plains, NY , then moved to Secaucus, NJ in 2012 and then it was sold to the AMA in 2017.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 AM
Appowner
Banned

Yes . It used to be in White Plains, NY , then moved to Secaucus, NJ in 2012 and then it was sold to the AMA in 2017.
Ah Yes! That one. Never made it to that one. There was one in Baltimore, maybe still is, that I went to once. Lived an hour and a half from it for 29 years and went once. That should tell you something.

I grew up 35 miles from the Toledo show. Have yet to see anything to match that one. Even so, it's been years since I've attended that one too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.