Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Drone / FPV Survey

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Drone / FPV Survey

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Drone / FPV Survey

Just curious how many of us got it and your thoughts on why? I answered honestly and there was actually a place to put follow up contact info. I'd post the link but my emails on it. I'm not smart enough to figure a way around it.

" AMA would like your input to better understand club views on multirotor, First-Person View (FPV) flying and drone racing. Could you spare a couple of minutes to answer questions about drone, multirotor, and FPV flying at your club field?
If you complete the survey within seven days, your club will be entered in a drawing to win one of four $250 cash prizes. So don't wait-share your input with us in the next seven days to be entered to win!
"

Mike
Old 04-28-2017, 11:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I got it and I filled it out honestly.

Not sure why but my first thought would be to gather more information about how clubs view FPV and drone flying.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:05 PM
rcmiket

I just got a email from Multi Drone Racing with the same survey.

Mike
Old 04-30-2017, 04:13 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I got it and I filled it out honestly.

Not sure why but my first thought would be to gather more information about how clubs view FPV and drone flying.
As surveys go, it's pretty weak. What exactly do they intend to do based on the results? Would be nice to know the "why" behind the survey.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:26 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
As surveys go, it's pretty weak. What exactly do they intend to do based on the results? Would be nice to know the "why" behind the survey.
I was wondering the same by the way the questions were worded.

Mike
Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I was wondering the same by the way the questions were worded.

Mike
Since they're mounting some sort of effort to acquire more fields (as evidenced by TS's efforts on RCG), what might have been more interesting was a survey of club fields and club field usage. Things like are you a club member y/n? If no, why not? Then maybe a data collection effort on amenities asking if they have them or not, if they're acceptable or not. Then a question on annual club dues? Those sorts of things. That data could then be used to understand factors that may be driving the poor membership numbers.

I read this latests survey as an answer in search of justification. It was vaguely worded in a way that if anyone has even an passing interest, it could be used to justify going after drone members. But it was too coarse. It didn't ask question about whether or not someone wants them at their local field, local park etc. No questions about differentiating between racing FPV and photography based FPV. That kind of stuff.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Since they're mounting some sort of effort to acquire more fields (as evidenced by TS's efforts on RCG), what might have been more interesting was a survey of club fields and club field usage. Things like are you a club member y/n? If no, why not? Then maybe a data collection effort on amenities asking if they have them or not, if they're acceptable or not. Then a question on annual club dues? Those sorts of things. That data could then be used to understand factors that may be driving the poor membership numbers.

I read this latests survey as an answer in search of justification. It was vaguely worded in a way that if anyone has even an passing interest, it could be used to justify going after drone members. But it was too coarse. It didn't ask question about whether or not someone wants them at their local field, local park etc. No questions about differentiating between racing FPV and photography based FPV. That kind of stuff.
Looks that way. I've been following SEFF over at RCG and this year they actually had FVP Multi racing going on. There's some pissed "FVP "non racers" over the channel black out during the racing. Guess the feeling was that the racers are being given priority over the non racing FPV crowd attending this year. Looks as the SEFF attendance was way down over past years also.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 04-30-2017 at 09:10 AM.