Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

July EC Meeting minutes

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

July EC Meeting minutes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default July EC Meeting minutes

Academy of Model Aeronautics - 0717 EC Meeting minutes

The July EC Meeting minutes are up if your interested.

Mike.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting points I noticed from July 2017 EC minutes

"President R. Hanson spoke of FAA Reauthorization Bill ... FAA wants testing to ensure safe flying. FAA seems willing to allow a community-based organization (CBO) to administer the testing."
- Sounds like the FCC / ARRL model for HAM licensing. Of note, I took the ARRL Technician test on Saturday. FCC caps fee at $15. The local club administers the tests free of charge though.

"FAA registration possibly coming, but AMA feels that its members should be excluded from registration. If the FAA were to accept that an AMA membership would be an alternative means of compliance to the registration requirement, then AMA would have to provide the FAA with membership information or allow access to AMA system."
- AMA continues to push for its members to be exempt from registration. I think this is pure fantasy. Why? AAA members are not exempt from vehicle registration rules. AOPA members are not exempt from aircraft registration requirements. EAA members are not exempt from aircraft registration requirements. BoatUS members are not exempt from boat registration requirements. Registration is inherently governmental. I don't see how they can logically make this argument as nowhere else in our transportation law/regulation is there anything similar.

"A. Argenio reviewed changes since 2014. He discussed all proposed changes/revisions, which include:
Article V, change mail to sent and mailed to email or electronically;
Article VI, phrase deleted, include and have AMA insurance coverage after the 30-day grace period;
Article VIII, delete part about sending individual meeting announcements, change to announced in official publication, print, and electronic media;
Article X, first proposed change was postponed;
Article X, deletion of a section that applied to sitting EC members when term limits were first enacted and insert the requirement that Leader Member status to be confirmed by Membership department on the date of nomination;
Article X, insert clause stating that associated vice presidents are required to hold Leader Member classification;
Article XIII, insert printed or electronic to publication concerning vehicles of communication to membership;
Article IX, Nominations and Elections Section 1 reworded for clarity and to eliminate redundancy;
Article IX, Nominations and Elections Section 5 reworded for clarity and to eliminate redundancy;
Article III, Section 1, insert discriminatory clause regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, age, or disability to membership qualifications."

- It took 3 YEARS to accomplish this?

"J. Nance: Presented a concept for a new member benefit, commercial drone insurance. The estimated cost is 60% of other insurance. This will reinforce membership value and offers an opportunity to increase AMA membership. He discussed an ad campaign for drone insurance coverage: “Fly for Fun. Fly for Business."
- I thought the mission of AMA was for hobby flyers. They're now delving into commercial ops. I wonder how if this will cause any problems with their tax exempt status -- especially if they begin offering commercial flight training (as mentioned later in the passage).

"Magazine revenue was down..."
- And yet not a single mention of what they're going to do about it
Old 08-23-2017, 06:51 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
"President R. Hanson spoke of FAA Reauthorization Bill ... FAA wants testing to ensure safe flying. FAA seems willing to allow a community-based organization (CBO) to administer the testing."
- Sounds like the FCC / ARRL model for HAM licensing. Of note, I took the ARRL Technician test on Saturday. FCC caps fee at $15. The local club administers the tests free of charge though.

"FAA registration possibly coming, but AMA feels that its members should be excluded from registration. If the FAA were to accept that an AMA membership would be an alternative means of compliance to the registration requirement, then AMA would have to provide the FAA with membership information or allow access to AMA system."
- AMA continues to push for its members to be exempt from registration. I think this is pure fantasy. Why? AAA members are not exempt from vehicle registration rules. AOPA members are not exempt from aircraft registration requirements. EAA members are not exempt from aircraft registration requirements. BoatUS members are not exempt from boat registration requirements. Registration is inherently governmental. I don't see how they can logically make this argument as nowhere else in our transportation law/regulation is there anything similar.

"A. Argenio reviewed changes since 2014. He discussed all proposed changes/revisions, which include:
Article V, change mail to sent and mailed to email or electronically;
Article VI, phrase deleted, include and have AMA insurance coverage after the 30-day grace period;
Article VIII, delete part about sending individual meeting announcements, change to announced in official publication, print, and electronic media;
Article X, first proposed change was postponed;
Article X, deletion of a section that applied to sitting EC members when term limits were first enacted and insert the requirement that Leader Member status to be confirmed by Membership department on the date of nomination;
Article X, insert clause stating that associated vice presidents are required to hold Leader Member classification;
Article XIII, insert printed or electronic to publication concerning vehicles of communication to membership;
Article IX, Nominations and Elections Section 1 reworded for clarity and to eliminate redundancy;
Article IX, Nominations and Elections Section 5 reworded for clarity and to eliminate redundancy;
Article III, Section 1, insert discriminatory clause regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, age, or disability to membership qualifications."

- It took 3 YEARS to accomplish this?

"J. Nance: Presented a concept for a new member benefit, commercial drone insurance. The estimated cost is 60% of other insurance. This will reinforce membership value and offers an opportunity to increase AMA membership. He discussed an ad campaign for drone insurance coverage: “Fly for Fun. Fly for Business."
- I thought the mission of AMA was for hobby flyers. They're now delving into commercial ops. I wonder how if this will cause any problems with their tax exempt status -- especially if they begin offering commercial flight training (as mentioned later in the passage).

"Magazine revenue was down..."
- And yet not a single mention of what they're going to do about it
Agree on all counts. I can't believe 3 years to amend the By-Laws. Another interesting fact is the number of free youth members, Still with no plan to convert them into paying members.
" Membership numbers currently at 183,927 which is on par with 2016 numbers; there are 59,000 Youth members."

This is interesting also.
"Indoor Flying Site report: T. Stillman and M. Mikulski have reached out to local community for funding. One anonymous donor has already committed $100,000 to the indoor facility. D. Mathewson believes renting the facility to various local groups is a possibility for funding. Use of facility by educational groups is an opportunity for AMA. He feels that the building can be built without having to rely on member dues money.

T. Stillman invited to speak: This project is a result of the 2001 Strategic Long Range Plan, where need for indoor facility on-site was determined. It will be a Category III site: 200 x 300 feet with 100-foot ceiling. It will be built specifically for the Indoor FF community, but will have additional aeromodeling uses, including RC and CL Indoor flying. It is planned that it will be a steel prefabricated building with insulation, bathrooms, meeting rooms, and roll-up doors. Educational components will be included. It will be a multiuse facility. Concept hopes to tie all three buildings together, give better access to museum and new building. Plan includes modifications to the current museum to allow indoor flight.
Funding: No funds from dues to be used for project. T. Stillman will work with AMA Foundation to obtain funding. M. Mikulski presented plans to approach the community for funding. Another possible source of funding would be companies that provide grants for utilizing green technology.

T. Stillman and D. Mathewson introduced Scott Black of the Charles C. Brant contractor, who is a longtime modeler, and Tom Strayer, the architect from Quantum.D. Mathewson: This is Phase 1 of Indoor facility. Previous ideas have not been followed through. This is a long-term plan but we need to get funding in place before beginning. He feels that this plan has the potential to be a great educational opportunity/education center without tapping into member dues. Educational component/use will support AMA’s 501(c)(3) status.

T. Stillman: Reiterated that no contracts have been signed. This is conceptual only. The size of the facility would fit a niche locally because of its size as a rental area, and offer year-round activity on-site.

Discussion ensued concerning priorities and other site needs (Sites 3, 4, camping areas) before this project is undertaken. Council requested a report of Indoor participation and Indoor income generated over last 10 years as well as projected income to be generated by new facility. Council asked for a pro forma statement concerning revenue generation.

Motion IV: By J. Tiller (IX), seconded by L. Tougas (X) to move forward with projected Indoor Flying Site facility pro forma report that will be presented at the fall EC meeting.
Motion passed unanimously."

Than this.

"Utah Drone Festival. Tulinda Larsen made significant promises, but failed to maintain contact. D. Mathewson listed promises and offers that haven’t been kept. The event was shortened from three to two days. Cost of entry to general public is $50 per day. He feels the event is more commercial than recreational. D. Mathewson’s recommendation is to carefully word a message that AMA is withdrawing from the sponsorship based upon changes made to the program.
Motion II: Moved by T. Jesky (VII), seconded by J. Tiller (IX), to make a partial withdrawal from participation in the Utah Drone Festival.
Motion passed unanimously."

Mike
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It would definitely cause problems since, to be tax exempt, they CANNOT have any connection to anything commercial and, by adding COMMERCIAL DRONE INSURANCE, they become an insurance broker, not a hobby CBO as they claim to be
Old 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

They already have commercial income, its counted differently for tax purposes.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
So, are you telling us that, by offering COMMERCIAL DRONE INSURANCE for 60% less, they won't violate the IRS tax-exempt status rules? Do you mind explaining how that can be since most 501C3 organizations not only can't make over a certain income per year but also cannot be involved in any sort of commercial venture
Old 08-23-2017, 10:40 AM
BarracudaHockey

I'm not a tax lawyer and I don't want my answer picked out word per word.

Personally I don't think its a good idea myself.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Hydro Junkie

I'm not a tax lawyer either, just have listened to the requirements needed to be tax exempt over and over and, by this point, I know enough of the basics to see a problem in the making
Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
So, are you telling us that, by offering COMMERCIAL DRONE INSURANCE for 60% less, they won't violate the IRS tax-exempt status rules? Do you mind explaining how that can be since most 501C3 organizations not only can't make over a certain income per year but also cannot be involved in any sort of commercial venture
They better be careful the way they're funnelling money to AMA via the AMA Foundation, trying to be commercial w/o being commercial, etc. All it takes is a call to an IRS hotline...
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 AM
franklin_m

Yes, but there are limits on it. As I recall from looking through their IRS 990's, it's based on a percentage of their non-commercial (i.e. membership) revenue.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 AM
BarracudaHockey

They better be careful the way they're funnelling money to AMA via the AMA Foundation, trying to be commercial w/o being commercial, etc. All it takes is a call to an IRS hotline...
IRS hotline, you're funny.

They just had a very VERY complex, lengthy, and complete on site audit. They crawled all over the books for weeks. I doubt they missed something that a disgruntled hotline call would point out.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:49 PM
franklin_m

IRS hotline, you're funny.

They just had a very VERY complex, lengthy, and complete on site audit. They crawled all over the books for weeks. I doubt they missed something that a disgruntled hotline call would point out.
I'm glad you think it's funny, possible impact on their tax exempt status from growing commercial activity.

As for the contacting the IRS, I have a single data point, but it is interesting. As a tax exempt organization, they're required to make their IRS 990's available. When I was unable to get a copy of their 2015 filing, I sent a letter to the IRS requesting a copy. By the time the next EC meeting rolled around, suddenly there's an audit. Now I'll never know if the two events are related, but the timing of the audit is at least a curious coincidence.