Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Registration to return 2018

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Registration to return 2018

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:38 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FAA Registration to return 2018

NDAA National Defense Authorization Act, which is supposed to pass both house and senate and signed by Trump for 2018

Last edited by GSXR1000; 11-10-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:29 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised but I thought the FAA was charged with dealing with it.
Drone Registration Included In DOD Authorization Bill | Aero-News Network

""The language is included in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2018. It would again require the registration of drones weighing more than about half a pound with the federal government.Congress finalized legislation that will reverse the earlier court ruling in the John Taylor case and restore the FAA’s UAS registration requirement, including for AMA members," the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) said in a statement emailed to Aero-News."

Mike
Old 11-11-2017, 01:16 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Not surprised but I thought the FAA was charged with dealing with it....

Mike
I guess Congress can make whomever they want reponsible.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Not surprised but I thought the FAA was charged with dealing with it.
Drone Registration Included In DOD Authorization Bill Aero-News Network

""The language is included in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2018. It would again require the registration of drones weighing more than about half a pound with the federal government.Congress finalized legislation that will reverse the earlier court ruling in the John Taylor case and restore the FAA’s UAS registration requirement, including for AMA members," the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) said in a statement emailed to Aero-News."

Mike
Yes it will be the FAA charged with doing it, they just are regiving the FAA back the authority as part of NDAA
Old 11-13-2017, 02:45 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Yes it will be the FAA charged with doing it, they just are regiving the FAA back the authority as part of NDAA
Our government never met a database it didn't like
Old 11-20-2017, 04:05 PM
HunkaJunk

If I have to register again, so be it I guess, but I still stand by my long standing actions that government agents wanting to search or inspect my stuff without a warrant can go jump in a lake. I can produce ID and registration form, but if they think they are going to inspect or search in any way without a warrant, I'll be arrested before I comply.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They might as well just require an FAA certification for flying unmanned aircraft. When you get your certification it should be good for life unless revoked. Then you can get your check outs.
i.e.
1. Fixed wing
2. Rotary wing including drones
3. FPV
4.Commercial
etc,etc, etc,

Than the AMA can sell insurance, educate, sanction this or that and get out of the lobbying business.

One time FAA certification for fixed wing aircraft uder a certain size $ . ? Additional permissions $ . ?
Annual AMA membership- maybe a lot less than it is now?
Old 11-22-2017, 03:54 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hunkajunk-I am sure if government agents that decide to search your property know how to deal with resistance and the outcome will not be favorable for you.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 AM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
Hunkajunk-I am sure if government agents that decide to search your property know how to deal with resistance and the outcome will not be favorable for you.
You're not scaring me. Government scamps have a real bad habit of overstepping their authority and making rules up on the spot to assist them in doing so. I have sued over this behavior in the past over issues unrelated to this discussion and have no problem doing it again should I feel it necessary.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-22-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 AM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
They might as well just require an FAA certification for flying unmanned aircraft. When you get your certification it should be good for life unless revoked. Then you can get your check outs.
i.e.
1. Fixed wing
2. Rotary wing including drones
3. FPV
4.Commercial
etc,etc, etc,

Than the AMA can sell insurance, educate, sanction this or that and get out of the lobbying business.

One time FAA certification for fixed wing aircraft uder a certain size $ . ? Additional permissions $ . ?
Annual AMA membership- maybe a lot less than it is now?
With everything you just proposed, I find it difficult to believe that dues would do anything but skyrocket. I do believe however that the AMA has already gotten away from lobbying and just got into bed with our government overseers as a way to increase thier business substantially, we just haven't been informed of it yet.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:14 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
With everything you just proposed, I find it difficult to believe that dues would do anything but skyrocket. I do believe however that the AMA has already gotten away from lobbying and just got into bed with our government overseers as a way to increase thier business substantially, we just haven't been informed of it yet.
And here's why...

This is membership revenue data straight from AMA's IRS990's (public documents), with numbers inflation adjusted to constant 2013 dollars. It's evident that except for years where AMA raised dues, they've been unable to reverse declining membership revenue. If anyone's interested in raw data, I've got their 990's to support the data in graph. It's clear, they're failing financially, and they've got to find some way to make people join.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Membership Revenue Trends.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2245959  
Old 11-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
How'd that work out in Nevada again?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If I have to register again, so be it I guess, but I still stand by my long standing actions that government agents wanting to search or inspect my stuff without a warrant can go jump in a lake. I can produce ID and registration form, but if they think they are going to inspect or search in any way without a warrant, I'll be arrested before I comply.
And since at the point in time of the confrontation the action the officials take is at their discretion your reaction alone might be just cause for arrest and confiscation. If a judge finds your actions in any way unreasonable or suspicious you most likely will be the looser. Probable cause is very open ended and interfering with an authority who is attempting to carry out an investigation is still an offence even if it is later deemed improper. There is a whole battery of serious and less serious charms that a police officer can charge you with. Yes you may get the charges stayed/dropped or dismissed but unless you have something to hide is the aggravation going to be worth it. Chances of recovery of money/time and effort spent are going to be very slim.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Propworn

So if I never bothered to ask for my registration money back does that mean I'm going to be good to go. I guess I don't have to remove the stickers I installed on all my models. Had a buddy make up a stack of 50 or so hope I can keep the same number. LOL.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Stickslammer

I think the registration is good for 5 years. Has anyone visited the FAA website? All I can see is something about UAV Pilot Integration Program. It has a picture of a guy flying a multirotor.
It looks like they have a long way to go in figuring this all out. I didn`t see the AMA mentioned at all. What the heck are they all doing up there?
Old 11-23-2017, 05:04 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
I think the registration is good for 5 years. Has anyone visited the FAA website? All I can see is something about UAV Pilot Integration Program. It has a picture of a guy flying a multirotor.
It looks like they have a long way to go in figuring this all out. I didn`t see the AMA mentioned at all. What the heck are they all doing up there?
Academy of Model Aeronautics - FAA UAS Frequently Asked Questions

Nothing but working very hard at doing nothing. The goverment relations updates verify they are very busy going to this meeting and that meeting with nothing to report on progress.They did send out a email to the members on regeatration. If you registered and never did anything when the Taylor case was announced your still registered.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-23-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:42 AM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by Propworn
So if I never bothered to ask for my registration money back does that mean I'm going to be good to go. I guess I don't have to remove the stickers I installed on all my models. Had a buddy make up a stack of 50 or so hope I can keep the same number. LOL.
I'm operating under that assumption, mine doesn't expire until next year, my models are marked on the inside with a very tiny sticker along with plainly visible anti-government profanity. I figure if I DECIDE to allow anyone to inspect any of my models for a registration number, they will know exactly what I think of them at that point, if not before.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-23-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:58 AM
HunkaJunk

And since at the point in time of the confrontation the action the officials take is at their discretion your reaction alone might be just cause for arrest and confiscation. If a judge finds your actions in any way unreasonable or suspicious you most likely will be the looser. Probable cause is very open ended and interfering with an authority who is attempting to carry out an investigation is still an offence even if it is later deemed improper. There is a whole battery of serious and less serious charms that a police officer can charge you with. Yes you may get the charges stayed/dropped or dismissed but unless you have something to hide is the aggravation going to be worth it. Chances of recovery of money/time and effort spent are going to be very slim.
I don't need your advice, so save your breath. I am very experienced and trained at standing up to numerous authorities, I'll give a general example and that will be it. FDA, USDA and others... show to do an inspection. OK, but every time they try to break their cameras out, NOPE! you are not authorized to photograph anything in our plant, they take issue, legal gets involved and they back off every time because their legal authority is specifically outlined and they have been sued who knows how many times for overstepping it.

This is just one general example, I have dozens of examples in recent memory from agencies at various levels of government, you can either know your rights and stand up for them, or suffer under the jack boot of an un-elected government bureaucrat, because if you let them; they will walk all over you every single time.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-23-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:08 AM
Stickslammer

[QUOTE][/QUOTE
Nothing but working very hard at doing nothing. ]
How true. Reminds me of my workplace. All the "managers" having all those meetings. Just sitting around b/sing and figuring out where to get lunch that day.

Last edited by Stickslammer; 11-24-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Propworn

I don't need your advice, so save your breath. I am very experienced and trained at standing up to numerous authorities, I'll give a general example and that will be it. FDA, USDA and others... show to do an inspection. OK, but every time they try to break their cameras out, NOPE! you are not authorized to photograph anything in our plant, they take issue, legal gets involved and they back off every time because their legal authority is specifically outlined and they have been sued who knows how many times for overstepping it.

This is just one general example, I have dozens of examples in recent memory from agencies at various levels of government, you can either know your rights and stand up for them, or suffer under the jack boot of an un-elected government bureaucrat, because if you let them; they will walk all over you every single time.
Not advice just observation seen more than a few blowhards yammering about their rights as they get arrested and carted off to the local hotel. wish i lived near by its always entertaining as they slide you guys in the back seat. Too mouthy and they just might forget to protect your head when your put inside. Seen more than one drip edge with a big dent in it. We used to call it an attitude adjustment LOL. Cuff one hand and leg then in the back of the van and a quick ride to the house with lots of sharp turns and bumps usually gets them in a co-operative mood. Pizz in the cornflakes you just might have to eat them.

Last edited by Propworn; 11-24-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:55 AM
HunkaJunk

Not advice just observation seen more than a few blowhards yammering about their rights as they get arrested and carted off to the local hotel. wish i lived near by its always entertaining as they slide you guys in the back seat. Too mouthy and they just might forget to protect your head when your put inside. Seen more than one drip edge with a big dent in it. We used to call it an attitude adjustment LOL. Cuff one hand and leg then in the back of the van and a quick ride to the house with lots of sharp turns and bumps usually gets them in a co-operative mood. Pizz in the cornflakes you just might have to eat them.
No, you are the one who is acting like a total blowhard. And it sounds like you have engaged in abusive and illegal activity. Maybe you should quit while your ahead. I'm taking your statement a threat.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:52 PM
init4fun

No, you are the one who is acting like a total blowhard. And it sounds like you have engaged in abusive and illegal activity. Maybe you should quit while your ahead. I'm taking your statement a threat.
Well said HunkaJunk , and I agree 100% with your assessment of the present interaction .

I wonder if the behavior is the same on the MAAC site ?
Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Propworn

Don't see how an observation can be a threat LOL unless one happens to be a little insecure.

Have a friend who showed attitude when he was arrested he refused to co-operate they bent the drip rail with his forehead. Changed his tune after that. Not right but it happens.

Its common if you prove to be a problem child to get a ride with one hand handcuffed to your leg or both behind your back best to lay down on the floor keeps you from bouncing around with nothing to stop you. Ask me how I know.

Yep found out young if you pizz in the cornflakes they might make you eat them.

In the old days there was a place called Yaqui Bush it was large wood lot 5 or 6 miles out of the city. Used to be a a place where the local officers used to drop you off to walk home if you needed time to cool off or think about your actions. Seen guys show up after the walk back sporting fat lips and bruises.

Its a fact of life no mater how many rights you think you have they do what they want and worry about the consequences after they have their way with you. As long as they don't go to far overboard they claim the force was justifiable to control you. They are even smarter and craftier today with all the cameras/observers out there.

Yep seen more than a few carted off in handcuffs screaming about their rights. Good luck on that one. Ever notice the ones who seem to get carted off are the ones yelling the loudest about their rights.

Me threatening?????? you two are just too funny.

Last edited by Propworn; 11-24-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:38 PM
init4fun

Allrighty then , , lesson learned , , , , NEVER eat Cornflakes in Canada ! , sounds like they use something other than Milk on em . Eww , Yuck .....

So meanwhile , back at the ranch , since I never canceled mine I'm going flying tomorrow , Canadians are of course welcome but they can leave their Cornflakes at home , thank you very much ....
Old 11-25-2017, 09:41 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I am FAA registered. The FAA came to the local small airport where we have been allowed to fly our jets for years and told the person that runs it that if he allows us to fly there any more they would either shut him down or fine him. Now we don't have any good place for turbine planes. This is a small airport that you might see one full size take off or land on any day. If We have to be registered like full size planes then why can't we fly there with permission of the owner? I sure wish that we could get the AMA to help us with this issue. I contacted the AMA president back in the spring and he said he would look into it and get back with me. Have not heard a thing since then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.