Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should the AMA "Go Commercial" , or die ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Should the AMA go commercial , or die ?
Go commercial , AMA survival at all costs .
26.09%
Die , once the hobby is gone the AMA should perish with it .
73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Should the AMA "Go Commercial" , or die ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:40 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank You for the response J330 . Where I live there are two kinds of fields one can fly at , the RC club field which each club does require AMA membership and then there are the unoccupied wide open spaces that aren't club owned fields that folks gather at and fly whether they have AMA or not . I am a member of an RC flying club and hence the AMA membership but of course it ends up being that the local "free for all" field is the one I end up spending the most flying time at . For many years I believed the AMA was championing aircraft modeling above all else and I thought that was a worthy cause to spend a bit of charitable cash on . Recently however it has become more & more apparent that the AMA is in the business of championing the AMA first , above all else , even above the hobby that built it , and I must admit I am beginning to question my steadfast support (better that 50 years membership) in light of the recent events (CBO farce , chasing the commercial operators , etc) .
Old 12-30-2017, 01:02 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out page 11 of the new Model Aviation. Two references to the AMA has you covered. To anyone thumbing thru the magazine it looks like and worded as if the AMA was in the commercial drone insurance business,

Mike
Old 12-30-2017, 03:16 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean, amadroneinsurance.com?
kinda hard to say you’re not in the insurance business when you create a web portal devoted to insurance!!

Astro
Old 12-31-2017, 04:36 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
kinda hard to say you’re not in the insurance business when you create a web portal devoted to insurance!!

Astro
Yes sir.

Happy New Year.

Mike
Old 01-05-2018, 08:44 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog

Astro
And that just demonstrates that AMA is clueless when it comes to "optics."
Old 01-08-2018, 05:06 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like we now need an option like the SFA that failed years ago. The AMA is destroying our hobby by having anything to do with quad copters (drones). Today I read of drones flying at the College Football Championship in Atlanta even though they are not allowed. Anyone can buy a drone and it takes no skill to fly some of them. These drone pilots also don't belong to any clubs or the AMA. The AMA is foolish for thinking they can make money to survive by getting all of the drone owners to join them. I just hope that it does not destroy this great hobby that I have been enjoying for more than 40 years.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

init4fun, I appreciate your comments and agree that the AMA is going in the wrong direction. As an occasional sport flyer ,though, I feel like I don`t have much "skin in the game".
Is $75.00 a year too much for access to the local club with a not too good runway? I really have no idea. If an AMA official called and asked "What do you want from us?", I`d have to say "I want the club meetings to not be a total bore-fest and the runway to look like a putting green or be smooth concrete". Wishful thinking, I know.

I am confident that the hobby will live on AMA or no AMA. I love everything r/c, but mostly airplanes. I build wood kits for glow, but sometimes like a cool foam electric. One of these days I`d like to try a nice quad copter.

Here`s hoping things work out for the best.

Charlie.