Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Drone hits Army Blackhawk

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Drone hits Army Blackhawk

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:50 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Drone hits Army Blackhawk

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...dent-in-rotor/

Sounds like he didn't even get a slap on the wrist for his ignorance. At the very least he should have been fined the cost of repairs to the Blackhawk. And people say they can't do harm. Parts of the drone were stuck in the helicopter.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:38 AM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is lucky he did not kill everyone on board the helicopter. He should have been at least been charged with "reckless endangerment".

Bill Hodges
Old 12-30-2017, 04:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It didnt say anything about being punished or not being punished.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

He violated at least two rules:
1) Out of line of site, especially at dusk
2) Flying into a no-fly area.
That should cost him something, just how much is up for debate
Old 12-31-2017, 07:16 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And THIS type of stupidity is why "Drone" operators should be dis- associated with our hobby.
And why we should insist that the AMA take steps to curtail any further damage to our hobby by "Drone" operators.
What these types of incidents cost the individual "Drone" operators is of no interest to me.
Rather, the damage that the "Drone" operators are doing to our hobby and the businesses associated with our hobby is my greatest concern.

You don't "fly"a "drone".
You simply program it or point it to go where you want.
If you aren't dealing with all the variables that are constantly changing in guiding a plane or helicopter thru the air IN LINE OF SIGHT, then you aren't flying.
There is no building, craftsmanship skill associated with assembling a "Drone"
They have nothing to do with the fundamentals of model aviation.
They are simply a fast track to instant gratification for any ID10t that has the financial ability to gain access to one.

Last edited by Tommy_Gun; 12-31-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:58 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Tommy_Gun
And THIS type of stupidity is why "Drone" operators should be dis- associated with our hobby.
And why we should insist that the AMA take steps to curtail any further damage to our hobby by "Drone" operators.
What these types of incidents cost the individual "Drone" operators is of no interest to me.
Rather, the damage that the "Drone" operators are doing to our hobby and the businesses associated with our hobby is my greatest concern.

If you aren't dealing with all the variables that are constantly changing in guiding a plane or helicopter thru the air IN LINE OF SIGHT, then you aren't flying.
They are simply a fast track to instant gratification for any ID10t that has the financial ability to gain access to one.
Well said and 100% Agree. So sick of seeing all these toys advertised, because that is what they are. No skills required, just take it out of the box and go vrroom like a kid and his fire engine.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Hydro Junkie

Unfortunately, just about every RTR/RTF is an accident waiting to happen. Since there's no invested effort or time, they're looked upon as disposable and not as something that can be dangerous to the operator or anyone else in the area. It's a sad truth that people die every year due to R/C products being used in unsafe ways. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if it's a plane, boat, car, buggy or quad-copter, people seem to leave common sense and safety in their car or, worse still, at home when they head out for some fun with the toy.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-02-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Tommy_Gun

Comparing a fixed wing or even helicopter model intended to be flown at a DEDICATED RC FLYING SITE, in line of sight,
to a drone that has not had the same constraints or intentions for use EMPHASIZED by its manufacturer, is not even a close comparison.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Actually, it is a close comparison, to the non-R/C public. The media has lumped everything that is R/C into the "drone" camp. You have to remember, you can install a camera on a plane or chopper and have the same basic capabilities as the quad does. The difference is you would actually have to fly it for the whole trip, not just out to where you decide to hit the "home" button
Old 01-03-2018, 03:28 AM
Tommy_Gun

Ahhhh, OK, Now I see.
You 're just here for the argument.
Please note my original post on this page..

Originally Posted by Tommy_Gun

Old 01-03-2018, 10:00 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Actually, it is a close comparison, to the non-R/C public.
Not looking to be contrary here , but my experience has been different .

Since I'm around a lot of people in my day to day life , and since this subject has come up in the past here at the RCU AMA forum , I did an experiment some months back that gave me much hope . I took a photograph of a multicopter and a photograph of my plane in my avatar . I showed randomly chosen non aviation familiar folks both photos and asked them what they would call the flying device in the picture . I stopped the experiment at around 25 or so people asked , and each and every one of them identified the multicopter as a "drone" and my PT-17 as either an "airplane" or as 2 respondents said "Snoopy VS the Red Baron"

Public perception wise , the die has been cast , if it's got one or two sets of conventional wings it's an airplane , if it's got 4 rotors it's a drone . Now , since it IS greater public usage that determines what a word means , the public has themselves decided what is a drone VS conventional airplane , the same public I'll remind you that decided "Gay" should no longer mean happy but instead something different altogether , and the "word purists" among us are just gonna have to accept the public at large's definition .

Try it yourself if you don't believe me , you'll quickly find what the general public thinks a drone is ......
Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Hydro Junkie;12394967]Actually, it is a close comparison, to the non-R/C public. The media has lumped everything that is R/C into the "drone" camp. You have to remember, you can install a camera on a plane or chopper and have the same basic capabilities as the quad does. The difference is you would actually have to fly it for the whole trip, not just out to where you decide to hit the "home" button[/QUOTE

I must disagree to a point, in that we do not want this comparison to happen yet agree with your statement about fixed wing flying. I have flown my fixed wing FPV and it is a lot more harder to fly and to concentrate. It's practically impossible for anyone with limited flying experience to fly a fixed wing, and even more complicated with a helicopter. Just about all the quads are self flying, or have flying assist features. AMA needs to keep this type of flying separated from the traditional plank flyers if they expect the government to respect traditional flying and flying sites.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

[QUOTE=scottrc;12395664]
Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Actually, it is a close comparison, to the non-R/C public. The media has lumped everything that is R/C into the "drone" camp. You have to remember, you can install a camera on a plane or chopper and have the same basic capabilities as the quad does. The difference is you would actually have to fly it for the whole trip, not just out to where you decide to hit the "home" button[/QUOTE

I must disagree to a point, in that we do not want this comparison to happen yet agree with your statement about fixed wing flying. I have flown my fixed wing FPV and it is a lot more harder to fly and to concentrate. It's practically impossible for anyone with limited flying experience to fly a fixed wing, and even more complicated with a helicopter. Just about all the quads are self flying, or have flying assist features. AMA needs to keep this type of flying separated from the traditional plank flyers if they expect the government to respect traditional flying and flying sites.
My point is that, thanks to the media, most people think of anything that flies that is R/C is a drone. Yes, you can fly a plane FPV, just like a quad. I refrained from saying how difficult it is since I've not flown anything FPV and don't plan to. That was why I said that you would have to fly for the whole time, not just until you hit the "home" button
Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 AM
acdii

[QUOTE=Hydro Junkie;12395677]
Originally Posted by scottrc
My point is that, thanks to the media, most people think of anything that flies that is R/C is a drone. Yes, you can fly a plane FPV, just like a quad. I refrained from saying how difficult it is since I've not flown anything FPV and don't plan to. That was why I said that you would have to fly for the whole time, not just until you hit the "home" button
Too true! There needs to be a Clear and Well Defined separation between "drone" and the typical RC aircraft we have been flying since the dawn of RC. This is something the AMA NEEDS to work on!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:05 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii

Too true! There needs to be a Clear and Well Defined separation between "drone" and the typical RC aircraft we have been flying since the dawn of RC. This is something the AMA NEEDS to work on!
But this is the problem , the public does indeed know the difference between what they call a drone (multicopter) vs a model airplane , it's OUR OWN AMA that is deliberately "blurring the line" in it's own desperate fight for survival , deliberately blurring the line (to any elected officials who will listen) between LOS & BLOS and hobby VS commercial .
Old 01-06-2018, 05:47 PM
acdii

Well there is the intelligent public, and there are the buttercup and snowflakes who suck up bad information and spread it and believe every word of it. However, if you look at what I wrote in CAPS, Isn't that what I said?