Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

CES 2018 FAA sez CBO mebership NOT required

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

CES 2018 FAA sez CBO mebership NOT required

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Salaries and benefits went up $900,000 in 2016 vs. 2015

Holy Smokes! They must think that there`s a limitless "Vast Galaxy Of Cash" out there. Not much longer at this rate I`m afraid.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I think Franklin's graphs show why the AMA is trying to "force" anyone that FLIES ANYTHING R/C to be a member, they need the dues income to keep feeding the bloated and inefficient mechanism commonly referred to as the AMA headquarters as well as the pet projects the EC is trying to force down the membership's throats

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-01-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:08 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What bothers me is why doesn't AMA be open about these trends? Why is that rank and file members have to do the research? What is it about being open and transparent that is so frightening to them... unless of course they don't have any idea how to cut costs or change the trends.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

This is actually a simple question to answer:
1) To admit they are running out of money means to admit the powers that be failed the membership
2) To admit they failed the membership means that they have to admit to the fact that there was and is a problem
3) To admit there was and is a problem means they have to admit they hid that fact
4) To admit they hid information would be almost suicide to their reputations
Old 02-01-2018, 03:41 PM
franklin_m

For what it's worth, I sent those charts to my VP, Mark Radcliff, along with this email:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Mark,

Just as a board is accountable for the company's financial performance, so too is the AMA's leadership accountable for the organization's financial performance. The attached charts show very disturbing trends across the board. As my representative, I'd like to know what is AMA doing to address each of these trends.

Frank
--------------------------------------------------------

I'm reasonably certain I will not even get a response.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:37 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let us know if he does.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
I think you are late to this conversation. According to the AMA there is a rule that you must be a member of a CBO. According to the FAA, you do NOT need to be a member of a CBO. Therein lies the rub...Astro
I've been loosely following and nowhere did I see the AMA state you had to belong. Follow the same guidelines is not the same as belonging.

The rules as written make absolutely no mention of flying at a "registered" field of a CBO. Please be sure of your "facts" before posting in order that the already muddy waters do not become even more murky.

Regards,

Astro
If non members face restrictions on altitude and proximity to airports where members are allowed to fly at altitude as in glider contests and clubs operate on airports around the country these are exemptions for members of the AMA flying at registered fields.

Last edited by Propworn; 02-01-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:48 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Propworn
I've been loosely following and nowhere did I see the AMA state you had to belong.
The AMA has been saying all along that you must be a member to be in compliance.

Follow the same guidelines is not the same as belonging.
That is what AMA is saying, That is NOT what the FAA is saying.

If non members face restrictions on altitude and proximity to airports where members are allowed to fly at altitude as in glider contests and clubs operate on airports around the country these are exemptions for members of the AMA flying at registered fields.
The FAA says non-members DO NOT face these restrictions, as long as they are abiding by the same rules as AMA members.

Are you really having a hard time understanding, or are you just being obstinate?

Regards,

Astro
Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 PM
astrohog

I've been loosely following and nowhere did I see the AMA state you had to belong.
I understand that you are Canadian and may not be an AMA member, but one needs to look no further than Rich Hanson's editorial in February's issue of Model Aviation.

He says, "To operate with AMA's community-based safety program one must: 1) affirm that you will abide by AMA's safety guidelines as a condition of membership; 2) provide the AMA with up-to-date contact information so we can communicate with you concerning relevant safety matters; and 3) be financially responsible (e.g., you must have adequate insurance to respond to any third-party claim for injury or property damage). In short, you must be a member."

Regards,

Astro
Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 PM
franklin_m

I understand that you are Canadian and may not be an AMA member, but one needs to look no further than Rich Hanson's editorial in February's issue of Model Aviation.

He says, "To operate with AMA's community-based safety program one must: 1) affirm that you will abide by AMA's safety guidelines as a condition of membership; 2) provide the AMA with up-to-date contact information so we can communicate with you concerning relevant safety matters; and 3) be financially responsible (e.g., you must have adequate insurance to respond to any third-party claim for injury or property damage). In short, you must be a member."

Regards,
Astro
You wanna know what's really funny? I can't think of ever receiving a communication from them about "a relevant safety matter." Not one*. Ever.

* Excluding of course the "master of the obvious" stuff like "don't stick your finger in a spinning prop," "don't burn your house down charging batteries," "don't drink gasoline," or "don't look at the sun."
Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by franklin_m
You wanna know what's really funny? I can't think of ever receiving a communication from them about "a relevant safety matter." Not one*. Ever.

* Excluding of course the "master of the obvious" stuff like "don't stick your finger in a spinning prop," "don't burn your house down charging batteries," "don't drink gasoline," or "don't look at the sun."
I also got a laugh about the article regarding the drone incident with the Blackhawk. They were really rough on the drone pilot! Isn't that the crowd they are trying to force to join the AMA? LOL Do they think that if they were to capture these people as members that they would have any effect whatsoever how they operate away from an established flying field? LOL. NOPE. How, pray tell, do they think they would retain their CBO status (if they were ever to be officially granted CBO status) if their members repeatedly cause incidents with full-scale aircraft? Rich Hanson's article also mentioned, "adequate insurance". What is considered adequate when you are cause, "hundreds of thousands of dollars" of damage?

Did you notice the article written by the Editor-in-chief, Jay Smith titled, "Who is to blame?". LOL Apparently, "they" ARE reading the forums and hearing what we are saying, but they are just quick to deflect to "what they HAVE done". Maybe they ought to look at the statistics you have compiled. Might be easier for them to see the forest for the trees?

Regards,

Astro
Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 PM
franklin_m

I also got a laugh about the article regarding the drone incident with the Blackhawk. They were really rough on the drone pilot! Isn't that the crowd they are trying to force to join the AMA? LOL Do they think that if they were to capture these people as members that they would have any effect whatsoever how they operate away from an established flying field? LOL. NOPE. How, pray tell, do they think they would retain their CBO status (if they were ever to be officially granted CBO status) if their members repeatedly cause incidents with full-scale aircraft? Rich Hanson's article also mentioned, "adequate insurance". What is considered adequate when you are cause, "hundreds of thousands of dollars" of damage?

Did you notice the article written by the Editor-in-chief, Jay Smith titled, "Who is to blame?". LOL Apparently, "they" ARE reading the forums and hearing what we are saying, but they are just quick to deflect to "what they HAVE done". Maybe they ought to look at the statistics you have compiled. Might be easier for them to see the forest for the trees?

Regards,

Astro
The biggest joke about their safety program is the communications part. Any credible safety program requires an acknowledgement of receipt and of understanding. AMA requires neither. For all they know their "relevant" communications end up in SPAM folders.

On the other stuff, I didn't see their article. Is it in the Feb issue? On the financials, I can't help but remember Gary Fitch telling me, about the EC, that "we're pretty smart." Well, their "smart" is on display in the performance metrics. Hardly something to brag about. Which I suppose is why they deflect and change the subject to things that can't be measured. Things like their "influence" sprinkled with a lot of "working on...." stuff.

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-01-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:39 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been loosely following and nowhere did I see the AMA state you had to belong. Follow the same guidelines is not the same as belonging.

It's being heavily implied just like the " AMA has you covered" with commercial drone insurance but keep insisting they are not in the commercial drone insurance business. Have you read Hanson's op ed in the hill or this months presidents column in MA? If not you should.

Mike
Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 AM
Hydro Junkie

If you do, it would probably be worded something like this:
Frank,
I don't know where you obtained that information but it's probably not correct. I will look into the matter and let you know what I find out
Mark

I personally think the board is well aware of the problem and will try to cover it up, if for no other reason, just to save face
Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 AM
revmix

dues reality news

paysa.com/salaries/academy-of-model-aeronautics--executive-editor

projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/520799408
Old 02-02-2018, 07:17 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Link doesn't work for me....
Old 02-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Regards

Astro
Hanson is correct; “To operate with AMA’s community-based safety program” one must belong. To abide and follow AMA’s safety guidelines is what is required but you do not have to be a member to do so. I do not have access to the Feb issue to read the full editorial not just a snippet of a few lines but several you tube interviews he always addresses the non member and member as two separate entities. He also addresses exemptions carved out for the CBO because of its history of safe/responsible operation.

Last edited by Propworn; 02-02-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:07 AM
rcmiket

Hanson is correct; “To operate with AMA’s community-based safety program” one must belong. To abide and follow AMA’s safety guidelines is what is required but you do not have to be a member to do so. I do not have access to the Feb issue to read the full editorial not just a snippet of a few lines but several you tube interviews he always addresses the non member and member as two separate entities. He also addresses exemptions carved out for the CBO because of its history of safe/responsible operation.
Did you heard what the FAA representative said at the CES answer and question on this "you must belong" crap?

Mike
Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Did you heard what the FAA representative said at the CES answer and question on this "you must belong" crap?

Mike
Mike , do you know what they say about feeding Trolls ? Maybe if folks stop feeding this Troll it'll go back to the MAAC forums to try to stir up some stink there ?
Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Hydro Junkie

I have to look at WHO HAS MORE CLOUT, the AMA or FAA. If the FAA says I don't need to be a member to be in compliance with 336, how can Mr Hanson say the FAA is wrong? Since the FAA is the one with the power to enforce, not the AMA, I'm going to go with the FAA's interpretation since it's got the power to back it up
Old 02-02-2018, 09:41 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Mike , do you know what they say about feeding Trolls ? Maybe if folks stop feeding this Troll it'll go back to the MAAC forums to try to stir up some stink there ?
The funny thing is he lives up in Canada.. So what the AMA does or doesn't do has no effect on him.

Mike
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The funny thing is he lives up in Canada.. So what the AMA does or doesn't do has no effect on him.

Mike
Exactly , and if he behaves at the Canadian version of the AMA's forum , the MAAC forum , like he behaves here maybe that's why he's here in the first place , maybe his fellow countrymen have already tired of his "disagreement purely for disagreement's sake" style of trying to stir up trouble ?

It's quite obvious what the FAA intends , by their own words AMA membership is not required , so anyone arguing otherwise is doing so simply to stir up trouble ; "The Sun is Yellow , NO the Sun is Orange" doesn't even come into play here , there is NO "alternative meaning" in the FAA's directive regarding "No CBO membership required" .
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Exactly , and if he behaves at the Canadian version of the AMA's forum , the MAAC forum , like he behaves here maybe that's why he's here in the first place , maybe his fellow countrymen have already tired of his "disagreement purely for disagreement's sake" style of trying to stir up trouble ?

It's quite obvious what the FAA intends , by their own words AMA membership is not required , so anyone arguing otherwise is doing so simply to stir up trouble ; "The Sun is Yellow , NO the Sun is Orange" doesn't even come into play here , there is NO "alternative meaning" in the FAA's directive regarding "No CBO membership required" .
Not to worried about what some organization that doesn't effect me does. Got enough keeping up with what's happening here.

Mike
Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I have to look at WHO HAS MORE CLOUT, the AMA or FAA. If the FAA says I don't need to be a member to be in compliance with 336, how can Mr Hanson say the FAA is wrong? Since the FAA is the one with the power to enforce, not the AMA, I'm going to go with the FAA's interpretation since it's got the power to back it up
The biggest issue with the AMA being membership and the dwindling numbers thereof , I would think the AMA EC should be looking into ways to entice folks to want to be members , rather than looking for ways to force folks to be members . I want to be a part of an organization dedicated to model aircraft , not an organization dedicated to itself first and model aircraft second . In other words , I'd FAR rather the hobby survive and the AMA didn't rather than the AMA survive and the hobby didn't . Forced members are never happy members , willing to do the things we've always done (mentor newbies , help run events , and so on) and I see a bleak future for this spirit of helpful friendliness if the AMA were to become a forced membership organization .

I rode motorcycles for years and I can't ever recall a time that the motorcyclist's AMA ever tried to pull a forced membership stunt on any one of us ......
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 AM
revmix

The push for mandatory membership via lobbying Congress has nothing to do with safely operating r/c but all about the nonprofit tax-free dough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.