Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

CES 2018 FAA sez CBO mebership NOT required

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

CES 2018 FAA sez CBO mebership NOT required

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by revmix
The push for mandatory membership via lobbying Congress has nothing to do with safely operating r/c but all about the nonprofit tax-free dough
EXACTLY!!!!!!
And it's what the EC is counting on getting
Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by revmix
The push for mandatory membership via lobbying Congress has nothing to do with safely operating r/c but all about the nonprofit tax-free dough
Except for the fact that safety is the main basis for the AMA’s lobby to begin with. Even though they have no way of ensuring compliance to the safety code outside the boundaries of established flying fields.

Not a very prudent plan

Astro
Old 02-02-2018, 12:10 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Propworn
Hanson is correct; “To operate with AMA’s community-based safety program” one must belong. To abide and follow AMA’s safety guidelines is what is required but you do not have to be a member to do so. I do not have access to the Feb issue to read the full editorial not just a snippet of a few lines but several you tube interviews he always addresses the non member and member as two separate entities. He also addresses exemptions carved out for the CBO because of its history of safe/responsible operation.
so, to answer my previous question, you are just here to be obstinate.

I gave you the direct quote from Mr. Hanson, but that is not good enough for you?

Good-bye, troll.

Astro
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
revmix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
Except for the fact that safety is the main basis for the AMA’s lobby to begin with.
To operate r/c properly is up to the hobbyists, the lobbying is just self-serving for their own survival
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
so, to answer my previous question, you are just here to be obstinate.

I gave you the direct quote from Mr. Hanson, but that is not good enough for you?

Good-bye, troll.

Astro
You must be a little slow on the uptake. First of all I never have advocated one must be part of the organization to fly, in fact quite the opposite. Read what you have quoted very slowly you might comprehend my take on it. Hanson’s quote states to be part of the program, a program developed for members you must be part of the organization. Many organizations have programs and you have to be part of that organization to participate in that program. However anyone can follow the guidelines of that program and not be part of the organization. I believe that is what the FAA is requiring not membership.

We have the same thing in Canada and not so surprising we have a similar number, a few who will argue that MAAC is trying to dictate to non members or heaven forbid they aren’t doing enough to support the modelers that choose to shun membership. I guess things north or south of the boarder are never going to change. Thank goodness you guys only amount to a handful and would never have the gumption to do much else than whine about it. Have at it fellas but try and develop some spine and actually do something about it then maybe when you write to your reps you won’t get ignored LOL.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:04 PM
astrohog

You must be a little slow on the uptake. First of all I never have advocated one must be part of the organization to fly, in fact quite the opposite.
LOL. I do not care what YOUR take is, doesn't matter your take or my take, we are discussing what the AMA's position is.

Astro
Old 02-03-2018, 03:36 AM
rcmiket

Thank goodness you guys only amount to a handful and would never have the gumption to do much else than whine about it. Have at it fellas but try and develop some spine and actually do something about it then maybe when you write to your reps you won’t get ignored LOL.
That's nothing but a assumption on your part. You have no clue on just how involved we are in trying to change the way our organization operates. The sad fact is a majority of AMA members don't care and belong simply because the flying field they fly at REQUIRE membership. Now looking at the numbers they indicate that our organization is losing members at a startling rate so in the very near future the ones that want change will grow and have more of a impact on decisions.

Mike
Old 02-03-2018, 03:56 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no doubt that our numbers are dwindling, but just what can they do at AMA headquarters or anyone else for that matter?
Old 02-03-2018, 05:12 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by fliers1
There is no doubt that our numbers are dwindling, but just what can they do at AMA headquarters or anyone else for that matter?
NAR (National Association of Rocketry ) has had great success in attracting youth into rocketry. I know for a fact the President of NAR gave the AMA EC council a presentation on this topic. As a NAR and AMA member our club has embraced rocketry and the kids love it and are exposed to model aviation at the same time. Droners are not the only group out there that we should be working to attract.

Mike
Old 02-03-2018, 05:41 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me guess. They were not in the least interested? I once belonged to a club that no matter what was suggested, the regular reply was, "no" most of the time before who ever made the suggestion was finished talking.
I call it CRS. contrary reflex syndrome. lol
Old 02-03-2018, 12:34 PM
jcmors

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And, for that matter, so do many other nuts due to anaphylactic shock. I do have an issue with your comparison:
coconuts kill people by falling on them, this being a matter of bad luck
being killed or injured by an R/C is usually due to operator error or stupidity
You know if you think about it, it really is the "nuts" that are causing all of the issues... Coconuts, and nuts who fly their aircraft beyond line of site like the nut who recently took pictures of an airliner in a landing approach beneath his drone in Vegas!

Sigh...
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to say that this hobby is in such shambles that its down right scary for an old school builder like me. Every other day you hear about some RC related business going belly up.I have been a member of the AMA several times over the years. I first joined when I was in California in the early 90's and I was never impressed with this organization at all. I rejoined a couple times and then just stopped flying and building because where I lived at the time I would have drive 25 miles or more one way just to get to a flying field and then there was the high cost of belonging to a club. Another thing that ticked me off where some of these guys at these clubs where very standoffish to say the least.I currently belong to a small club that has two fields and the guys are nice be around. I started flying at a small airport in the 1970s in SE Kansas. We where not a club for say but we did have a permission to fly at this small airport until th day some jack@## called the FAA and turned us in.The FAA said we where not authorized to fly at this site. So we got banned from flying there for 10 years then all of sudden they let us fly there again. But the catch was we had to have proof of home owners insurance and a aircraft band radio just in case a full size plane was coming in. In years before the one guy that flew out of there would buzz over once to let us know he was coming and we we land and get out of the way.
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Stickslammer

The 10 year ban was very unfortunate but it seems like a pretty good deal now if you`re still able to fly there. No AMA mandate, all you need is homeowners insurance and aircraft band radio. Sounds pretty reasonable to me for safety`s sake.