Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Poll , Are you an AMA member because you WANT to be , or because you HAVE to be ?

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Are you an AMA member because you want to be , or because you have to be ?
Want to be
35.96%
Have to be
64.04%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Poll , Are you an AMA member because you WANT to be , or because you HAVE to be ?

Reply

Old 07-16-2018, 06:06 AM
  #76  
r ward
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 481
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
I was being sarcastic! However, a thought occurs to me. A flying site has something to offer. So approaching it as a stranger is not unlike a potential customer entering a store. How many times have you gone into a store looking for something but couldn't find it? But while looking you encountered numerous employees of the store. Yet not a one of them asked if they could help you.

Would you buy anything at that store?
funny you should mention this. not too long ago I walked around an unfamiliar hardware store looking for something for quite while,...didn't find what I wanted and decided to leave. as I approached the exit door, an employee that was sitting at the cash register talking to the cashier casually asked me if he could help me,....I calmly and shortly answered "nope" and continued out the store. i'll bet that employee just thought to himself, "man,.... that's why I hate dealing with the public".
r ward is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 AM
  #77  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 809
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by r ward View Post
funny you should mention this. not too long ago I walked around an unfamiliar hardware store looking for something for quite while,...didn't find what I wanted and decided to leave. as I approached the exit door, an employee that was sitting at the cash register talking to the cashier casually asked me if he could help me,....I calmly and shortly answered "nope" and continued out the store. i'll bet that employee just thought to himself, "man,.... that's why I hate dealing with the public".
Yep! Walked into a Homeless Depot once looking for a core for a Moen bathroom faucet. Had the old core in my pocket. Asked a 20 something kid in a blue apron where they hid the Moen faucet cores. He asked for the model number to which I pulled out the old one and showed it to him. He continued to insist he needed the model number even after I explained Moen uses the same core for most their bathroom faucets. Nope! Couldn't help me without a number. Went to Ace instead. Three minutes in and out. Last time I ever tried to give Homeless Depot any of my money.

Problem is you find these attitudes everywhere at every age.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 AM
  #78  
init4fun
Thread Starter
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,253
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

98 votes , not bad ....

Figured I'd give this one a bump to see if anyone has anything new to add .
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 AM
  #79  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 809
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
98 votes , not bad ....

Figured I'd give this one a bump to see if anyone has anything new to add .
I think the reality of it is, that without the hook of the club and insurance, the AMA would cease to exist. The only caveat to this would be those who wish to compete.

I support the idea of an organization like the AMA. But I believe the current organization has a number of serious issues and has basically missed the boat on several occasions.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:49 AM
  #80  
Adui
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 675
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Was an AMA member because it was required by the club I flew at. Will be again for the same reason when I can start flying again. WISH I could find a stretch of desert out here smooth enough for takeoff and landing then I wouldnt have to be out the nearly $100 for AMA and the over $100 to join the dang club..
Adui is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:38 PM
  #81  
mongo
My Feedback: (14)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 2,610
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

dry lake beds.
mongo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:04 PM
  #82  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 23,023
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Adui View Post
Was an AMA member because it was required by the club I flew at. Will be again for the same reason when I can start flying again. WISH I could find a stretch of desert out here smooth enough for takeoff and landing then I wouldnt have to be out the nearly $100 for AMA and the over $100 to join the dang club..
Interesting.

I have an outstanding RC facility 15 minutes from my house and get bored in 15 minutes if there's nobody to hang out with and most of my circle of friends I hang out with socially are members. Not all of course, but most especially the regulars. But i work from home so hanging out with someone from the office means walking the dog.
BarracudaHockey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:24 PM
  #83  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,499
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Interesting.

I have an outstanding RC facility 15 minutes from my house and get bored in 15 minutes if there's nobody to hang out with and most of my circle of friends I hang out with socially are members. Not all of course, but most especially the regulars. But i work from home so hanging out with someone from the office means walking the dog.
Very close to the same situation as me except although I work at a huge aerospace manufacturing facility, I deal with the same 8 or so guys 99% of the time. The trend that I have noticed is that most of the guys dissatisfied with the AMA are not interested in the social aspects of the hobby.
speedracerntrixie is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:52 PM
  #84  
Adui
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 675
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Interesting.

I have an outstanding RC facility 15 minutes from my house and get bored in 15 minutes if there's nobody to hang out with and most of my circle of friends I hang out with socially are members. Not all of course, but most especially the regulars. But i work from home so hanging out with someone from the office means walking the dog.
Well, I must admit I did enjoy the social aspect VERY much. The trouble is, at the field I flew at in Oregon there was seldom anyone there unless an event was happening or the monthly meeting night was upon us. Any other time, weekday eve, Saturday, Sunday etc.. the field was usually empty. I bored holes in the sky alone, save for the museum goers that would see my plane in the air and walk out through the trees to see what was what. The RC field was directly behind the Evergreen Aviation Museum, with a small grove of trees between it and the museum proper. My understanding is it was moved farther away, but on the same properly.

Likely the occasional museum patron visiting the RC strip doesn't happen any more, but I dunno I haven't been there in over 8 years. I live in Mesa AZ now, and will likely be flying off the club field that is about 20 min from my house.
Its going to be a slow rebuild for me though, money is as always tight so I will have to build my collection one part at a time. Engine radios and fuel being the final parts just before I spring for the AMA so I can use the club strip. I'm looking at a year or two, maybe more. But then I've been away from the hobby going on 9 years, I guess I can wait another couple to do it right this time.
Adui is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:03 PM
  #85  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,499
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I was very impressed with the R/C field there at the Evergreen museum. Not to mention the workshop the club enjoyed in the second museum building. Since the field was right there at the airport they were limited to 400' altitude. That may have something to do with the lack of usage. I was there on a Sunday afternoon returning home from Portland and there was just one guy there flying. That was only two years ago.
speedracerntrixie is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:23 PM
  #86  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 23,023
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Adui View Post
Well, I must admit I did enjoy the social aspect VERY much. The trouble is, at the field I flew at in Oregon there was seldom anyone there unless an event was happening or the monthly meeting night was upon us. Any other time, weekday eve, Saturday, Sunday etc.. the field was usually empty. I bored holes in the sky alone, save for the museum goers that would see my plane in the air and walk out through the trees to see what was what. The RC field was directly behind the Evergreen Aviation Museum, with a small grove of trees between it and the museum proper. My understanding is it was moved farther away, but on the same properly.

Likely the occasional museum patron visiting the RC strip doesn't happen any more, but I dunno I haven't been there in over 8 years. I live in Mesa AZ now, and will likely be flying off the club field that is about 20 min from my house.
Its going to be a slow rebuild for me though, money is as always tight so I will have to build my collection one part at a time. Engine radios and fuel being the final parts just before I spring for the AMA so I can use the club strip. I'm looking at a year or two, maybe more. But then I've been away from the hobby going on 9 years, I guess I can wait another couple to do it right this time.
We have 20 + when the weather is good and triple that if there's free food.
BarracudaHockey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:29 PM
  #87  
Adui
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 675
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

With that kind of turn out, if Jacksonville Florida was a mite closer Id start showing up even before I have the gear and the AMA just to enjoy the talking and watching!
Adui is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:08 AM
  #88  
init4fun
Thread Starter
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,253
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Interesting.

I have an outstanding RC facility 15 minutes from my house and get bored in 15 minutes if there's nobody to hang out with and most of my circle of friends I hang out with socially are members. Not all of course, but most especially the regulars. But i work from home so hanging out with someone from the office means walking the dog.
Sometimes there are 20 people at my club field and we do WAY more socializing than flying , and sometimes I'm the only one there , working on perfecting my barrel rolls , either way it's all good . And yes , events with food are always well attended
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:32 PM
  #89  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 809
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Sometimes there are 20 people at my club field and we do WAY more socializing than flying , and sometimes I'm the only one there , working on perfecting my barrel rolls , either way it's all good . And yes , events with food are always well attended
Use to do a lot of cookouts.
But then someone would bit@% if we took up a collection to pay for it. Too many members expect the club to pay for all the food all the time.
Then they bit@% again when asked to cut the grass or paint the facilities. They expect us to hire people to do that.
Then threaten to quit the club if the dues is raised.

Probably bit@% if the porta john was out of TP......................
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:59 PM
  #90  
speed is life
 
speed is life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redstone, CO, USA
Posts: 379
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
I think the reality of it is, that without the hook of the club and insurance, the AMA would cease to exist. The only caveat to this would be those who wish to compete.
I support the idea of an organization like the AMA. But I believe the current organization has a number of serious issues and has basically missed the boat on several occasions.
+1
Late to the party & I rarely post in “comment” forums.

My sole reason for AMA membership is that it is REQUIRED for the one or two events a year that I attend........
Social aspects? Nah, my thing is flying models not sitting around polishing them and shooting the breeze.
Flying sites? Sure, ask the drone guys or park flyer fiasco guys.

Do I expect the amatures at AMA to do anyting but beat their chests about the excellent job they are doing with the FAA and the drone/sUAV issues? No.......corporate UAV and FAA big brother are bending Muncie over.
”Growing” the AMA via drone/quad members? Yea, right, the numbers speak for themselves.

IMO the AMA is quite analogous to AARP, nothing but a glorified insurance organization.
Thanks, but my personal liability insurance will protect me long before AMA finally kicks in.
speed is life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:24 AM
  #91  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,964
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
The trend that I have noticed is that most of the guys dissatisfied with the AMA are not interested in the social aspects of the hobby.
And so what? Last time I checked the mission statement of AMA, a social club wasn't part of it's core missions. If I want social, I'll go to VFW with my my Dad and my Uncle, go to a ballgame with the family, dinner with my wife and our friends, or even just dinner just the two of us. But then again, when I go to fly, I go to fly. Not to talk.

If AMA survival is dependent on people who like to fly sUAS AND be social, it's an even smaller pool of potential members.
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:00 AM
  #92  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 809
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I grew tired of the rule Nazis badgering others over rules they themselves do not understand. The mis-information is rampant and extends to forums like this. I dare say there are people here (and at the field) who would misunderstand it when I say, "The Sky is Blue!"

And some of them do so intentionally simply because that is the way they are!

I go to a field to fly. Flying by myself is relaxing and saves me the time of waiting for a spot and avoids the rule Nazis. If I want bickering, I'll move to a neighborhood with a HOA.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:40 AM
  #93  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 23,023
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

It happens, I know we took great strides to clean any of that out of our club. Have fun, be friends, fly what you bring and enjoy yourself. 3D guys, jet guys, glider guys, quads, helicopters, everyone gets along, and thats in a 200 member club.
BarracudaHockey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 AM
  #94  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 809
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Talking

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
It happens, I know we took great strides to clean any of that out of our club. Have fun, be friends, fly what you bring and enjoy yourself. 3D guys, jet guys, glider guys, quads, helicopters, everyone gets along, and thats in a 200 member club.
I suspect for a club that size you're the exception rather than the rule. Or you make sure all the old retired farts in the club stay on their medications?

I've been in clubs with periods of peace and quiet. But that can change oh so easily and oh so fast. Probably the best is the first one I belonged to in Germany. We averaged 10-20 members, German and American with a core of some 4 Americans and 3 Germans. We put on shows for the local Dutch Army post, the annual Bremerhaven German/American VolksFest and others. We had an indoor club area provided by the Army. A building table over 20 feet long x 8 foot wide. Club owned Shop tools and a paint booth. Never a conflict in the 4 years I was there. Not so for the clubs in Virginia and Alabama. Texas wasn't as bad but did have some issues. Alaska simply tried to stay warm. But I flew Helicopter, Kavan Jet Ranger, in an empty maintenance hanger capable of housing several 707's (KC-135's). Second club in Germany I think I flew twice in four years thanks to my deployment schedule. Yes, I have experienced coming home to be greeted by my 2 year old daughter with that "Who the heck are you?" expression on her face. Last club in Virginia was thrown under the bus by the AMA. Little more than lip service from Muncie as we fought for a flying site.

A long time ago I made a decision to be able to afford my own flying site in retirement. I recently purchased it. The runway is laid out and will be smoothed and seeded come spring. AMA discouraged!
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:24 AM
  #95  
Stickslammer
 
Stickslammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Nice you will be able to enjoy your own flying site. We get reminded every monthly newsletter that we can`t fly at our field or at some function somewhere else unless we have a current AMA card. Dang, mine expired 11-30
Stickslammer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service