Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

End of AMA EXpos?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

End of AMA EXpos?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 01:04 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default End of AMA EXpos?

AMA Expo
There was some discussion about AMA Expo West that will be continued during the budget meeting. Keith Sessions suggested that trade shows are no longer viable and won’t break even, much less pay for themselves. There was some comparison between the AMA Expo and the Toledo Show: R/C Model Expo and the Southeastern Model Show in Perry, Georgia other shows which are staffed solely by volunteers. Chad discussed the cost-cutting measures he had put in place last year and again this year to make the show financially viable, but the show will continually lose money. Rich Hanson (President) questioned what sun setting the 2020 event would do to the relationship with our members and the message it would send. An informal straw poll indicated that most of the council was in favor of closing down the Expo. Rich suggested giving it until the end of September before deciding whether or not to continue the event into 2020. [Do you want to announce this yet?]
Old 09-03-2019, 01:43 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

it is about time,
shoulda given up on those things 5 or so years ago.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:00 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Sadly I think you are right. It used to be that the trade shows was a way of learning about new products, getting some good deals and meeting guys in the industry that you respected. All that can be done via the internet now. I'm glad that I was able to attend the IMS show ( Now AMA west ) the Chicago model expo and the Puyallup Wa hobby show while they were at their peak.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:47 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The Puyallup show still exists, just in a different venue and under new management. The Puyallup Fairgrounds got to be too expensive, so I've heard, so the people running the show called it quits. Another group took over, moved up to the Monroe Fairgrounds, and started holding them again, two years later. granted, it's not as large but it is better than not having one at all.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:50 PM
speedracerntrixie

That's always an option especially if they have a swap shop along with the show. A couple decades ago it was fun to see new stuff, back then we were still coming up with new things. The past few years it just seems like the same stuff over and over.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:11 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the problem is that all the expenses associated with doing the show keep rising while the number of exhibiters and vendors are dropping. Also attendance is down because of less attractions to draw attendance.
At the Expo west show there has always been a swap shop but there is only so much draw from that.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The attendance at the recent AMA Expo West appeared pretty light. As a Swap Shop vendor some of us made more sales dollars than many of the vendors. Some listed vendors were no-shows and several packed up Saturday afternoon.

While some commercial vendors had good show prices others were full price. Best bargains were in the swap shop. Current online sales and new product announcements pretty much take away the excitement once offered by trade shows.

Nothing against young people in the industry but the large vendors were staffed by guys spending more time yucking it up with each other. Interrupting the gaggle to ask a question or two brought stares of "what do you want."

An attending AMA official did tell me the Expo is finished. Don't know if both expos (East-West) are done or just the West. Would not surprise me if West only as AMA appears to distribute more attention to Mid-west and East.

Just my observation.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick T.
The attendance at the recent AMA Expo West appeared pretty light. As a Swap Shop vendor some of us made more sales dollars than many of the vendors. Some listed vendors were no-shows and several packed up Saturday afternoon.

While some commercial vendors had good show prices others were full price. Best bargains were in the swap shop. Current online sales and new product announcements pretty much take away the excitement once offered by trade shows.

Nothing against young people in the industry but the large vendors were staffed by guys spending more time yucking it up with each other. Interrupting the gaggle to ask a question or two brought stares of "what do you want."

An attending AMA official did tell me the Expo is finished. Don't know if both expos (East-West) are done or just the West. Would not surprise me if West only as AMA appears to distribute more attention to Mid-west and East.

Just my observation.
Just asking your opinion do you think anything can be done to bring the show back to anywhere close to what it was 20 years ago?
Old 11-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Dick T.

Doubtful. Internet and YouTube make it very easy to see new offerings daily. Competitive pricing is out there too except for Horizon who fixes advertised prices. Commercial vendors get more bang for their buck as a web presence.

A commercial vendor at the show was floating an idea of planning a huge weekend outdoor swap meet as a replacement. Commercial vendors would be welcome too. I believe this is how the Toledo show stared years ago and still remains the premiere swap meet/trade show.

As I mentioned previously some of us in the swap shop took in more cash than some commercial vendors.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:36 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
Just asking your opinion do you think anything can be done to bring the show back to anywhere close to what it was 20 years ago?
Sure. Eliminate the Internet, break up Horizon and Hobby King, and bring back a 100 or so small vendors.
Done!!
Old 11-14-2019, 11:38 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Sure. Eliminate the Internet, break up Horizon and Hobby King, and bring back a 100 or so small vendors.
Done!!

My thoughts exactly. Hobby King will be gone soon enough, Horizon has pretty much the same business model as Great Planes, only time until they bleed out as well. They need to stop trying to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible and start looking towards the long term health of the hobby. IMO Horizon should start setting up hobby shop franchises and making sure the owners are able to make a decent profit. On average current shop owners if they match the Horizon direct prices will only average 25% to 30% intake. Then they have to pay rent/Mortgage, payroll, insurance, inventory, utilities etc. If Horizon increased those profit margins and supported the retail industry better then we would have more hobby shops again. The hobby as a whole would enjoy a higher level of enthusiasm which of course would mean higher volume of sales......everyone wins.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:33 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
My thoughts exactly. Hobby King will be gone soon enough, Horizon has pretty much the same business model as Great Planes, only time until they bleed out as well. They need to stop trying to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible and start looking towards the long term health of the hobby. IMO Horizon should start setting up hobby shop franchises and making sure the owners are able to make a decent profit. On average current shop owners if they match the Horizon direct prices will only average 25% to 30% intake. Then they have to pay rent/Mortgage, payroll, insurance, inventory, utilities etc. If Horizon increased those profit margins and supported the retail industry better then we would have more hobby shops again. The hobby as a whole would enjoy a higher level of enthusiasm which of course would mean higher volume of sales......everyone wins.
What makes you think there is enough profit margin in these products to allow for that AND do it at the price YOU want to pay? You stated, "only average 25% to 30% intake" (I will assume you meant margins), what margins do you think are appropriate? Got any real-world experience or facts to support your, "everyone wins" theory?

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-14-2019, 04:29 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog
What makes you think there is enough profit margin in these products to allow for that AND do it at the price YOU want to pay? You stated, "only average 25% to 30% intake" (I will assume you meant margins), what margins do you think are appropriate? Got any real-world experience or facts to support your, "everyone wins" theory?

Regards,

Astro
has

Astro, if you wish to address me as a peer I will be more then happy to discuss just about anything with you. If you can't manage that then I suggest you not ask any questions of me.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:38 PM
astrohog

has

Astro, if you wish to address me as a peer I will be more then happy to discuss just about anything with you. If you can't manage that then I suggest you not ask any questions of me.
Not sure what you mean? I simply asked for you to qualify some of your statements. What part of my post bothers you?
Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 PM
speedracerntrixie

Most of your posts come off with a condescending tone, if you can't ask a question without the attitude then don't expect an answer.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:50 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

astro, you are fighting a loosing battle.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:41 PM
astrohog

Most of your posts come off with a condescending tone, if you can't ask a question without the attitude then don't expect an answer.
You, sir, are a real piece of work! You are more than happy to jump on the name-calling bandwagon, and then refuse to engage in a conversation that you started because you read a certain tone into one's written words?? LOL
I cannot help how you perceive the written word. That is your problem and I do not appreciate you continually projecting your unfounded perceptions on me.
Astro
Old 11-14-2019, 05:42 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by mongo
astro, you are fighting a loosing battle.
Yes, I am aware. It is too bad that one cannot engage in a discussion in a discussion forum……….

Astro
Old 11-14-2019, 05:53 PM
speedracerntrixie

You, sir, are a real piece of work! You are more than happy to jump on the name-calling bandwagon, and then refuse to engage in a conversation that you started because you read a certain tone into one's written words?? LOL
I cannot help how you perceive the written word. That is your problem and I do not appreciate you continually projecting your unfounded perceptions on me.
Astro

By all means show me where I called someone a name. As far as having a discussion goes, communicate with me the same as you would with somone standing directly in front of you and we will have whatever discussion you would like. I'm not the only one here that perceives your attitude as aggressive.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 PM
astrohog

By all means show me where I called someone a name. As far as having a discussion goes, communicate with me the same as you would with somone standing directly in front of you and we will have whatever discussion you would like. I'm not the only one here that perceives your attitude as aggressive.
Read my words, do not spin them. If you want to ignore the fact that you clearly supported Dick T. in his little name-calling rant, that is on you. The fact is, you cannot support your baseless blather on here.

Astro
Old 11-14-2019, 06:13 PM
speedracerntrixie

What makes you think I supported Dick T. All I said in that thread was that I had known him for 30 years and he had always been a stand up guy to me. That however is because we have always treated one another with respect. Showing respect gets you respect. Perhaps that is why you have a rough time with some people.

As far as me not having experience to support my views about how the business should operate, how do you come to that conclusion?
Old 11-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Dick T.

Actually took longer than I thought for the destroyer to show up. Oh well, downhill now.

Read my words, do not spin them. If you want to ignore the fact that you clearly supported Dick T. in his little name-calling rant, that is on you. The fact is, you cannot support your baseless blather on here.

Astro
Old 11-14-2019, 07:18 PM
astrohog

What makes you think I supported Dick T. All I said in that thread was that I had known him for 30 years and he had always been a stand up guy to me. That however is because we have always treated one another with respect. Showing respect gets you respect. Perhaps that is why you have a rough time with some people.

As far as me not having experience to support my views about how the business should operate, how do you come to that conclusion?
Because that is the topic at hand, yet you continue to bloviate about just about everything BUT the topic at hand.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:28 PM
speedracerntrixie

LOL, we all were on topic until you showed up with your " And what makes you think " silliness. Had you asked in an acceptable manner you would have received an answer. The thread derailment was YOUR doing right down to dragging in a situation from a different thread. Stop coming into threads with a " I got him now " attitude and we may just get something accomplished.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:59 PM
astrohog

LOL, we all were on topic until you showed up with your " And what makes you think " silliness. Had you asked in an acceptable manner you would have received an answer. The thread derailment was YOUR doing right down to dragging in a situation from a different thread. Stop coming into threads with a " I got him now " attitude and we may just get something accomplished.
LOL well if you say so....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.