Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Poll , Are you an AMA member because you WANT to be , or because you HAVE to be ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Are you an AMA member because you want to be , or because you have to be ?
Want to be
34.72%
Have to be
65.28%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Poll , Are you an AMA member because you WANT to be , or because you HAVE to be ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Me? No Clue?

Thanks, I needed a laugh.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:38 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
insurance, has long since overshadowed everything else.
Mongo , I do believe that were it not for the insurance , and if the AMA had to survive on the proceeds of competition only , that today's AMA would be a far different (smaller , that's for sure) organization than it is today . That's why the SFA was such a threat , It was to be a direct competitor to the most lucrative part of what keeps the AMA in business . With the results of my poll here running solidly in favor of "have to be" I'd say the better percentage of members are likely members for the insurance to fly at the local club first , with being able to participate in competition a distant second .
Old 05-06-2018, 01:07 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think organizations survive when some significant percentage of your membership are there only because they "have to."
Old 05-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Mongo , I do believe that were it not for the insurance , and if the AMA had to survive on the proceeds of competition only , that today's AMA would be a far different (smaller , that's for sure) organization than it is today . That's why the SFA was such a threat , It was to be a direct competitor to the most lucrative part of what keeps the AMA in business . With the results of my poll here running solidly in favor of "have to be" I'd say the better percentage of members are likely members for the insurance to fly at the local club first , with being able to participate in competition a distant second .
Competition may be a smaller part of a reason but how about just flying at a different club as a guest? How many do that? If you attend any events/fun fly's/fly ins etc you most likely will need AMA to participate. You cannot fly in Canada without belonging to your home organization just like we cannot fly in the US without MAAC. You cannot join the other organization and have flying rights without membership in your home countries organization.

Dennis
Old 05-06-2018, 04:00 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Propworn
Competition may be a smaller part of a reason but how about just flying at a different club as a guest? How many do that? If you attend any events/fun fly's/fly ins etc you most likely will need AMA to participate. You cannot fly in Canada without belonging to your home organization just like we cannot fly in the US without MAAC. You cannot join the other organization and have flying rights without membership in your home countries organization.

Dennis
Hi Dennis ,

Yes indeed flying at a different club as a guest is another great reason to have an AMA membership , but the bottom line of that is of course that by being an AMA (or MAAC) member you automatically come with insurance so your credentials need no verification beyond that .

Somewhere in the sunny USA ; "Guy is on vacation from Canada and wants to fly here at our club as a guest , should we let him ?" .... "Does he have a MAAC card ?" .... "Yea , he does ? Great he can fly here" ... It's the insurance that's the common bond for just about all of the membership reasons beyond the organization of competitions , and even those competitions themselves are promoted & protected by the fact that all who participate are insured .
Old 05-06-2018, 09:13 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I don't think organizations survive when some significant percentage of your membership are there only because they "have to."
I wonder how the auto and home insurance companies would do if they did not have a significant number of mandated customers.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:22 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by ira d
I wonder how the auto and home insurance companies would do if they did not have a significant number of mandated customers.
In the case of homes, that's usually required by the lender. Otherwise, there's no requirement to have insurance at all - at least in my state. In the case of vehicles, they're operating on public roads, and as a consequence of that they're required to either have insurance or post a bond. So there are other options.

If Congress wants to make insurance mandatory for operation of recreational sUAS in the airspace, fine. But they haven't.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:32 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
In the case of homes, that's usually required by the lender. Otherwise, there's no requirement to have insurance at all - at least in my state. In the case of vehicles, they're operating on public roads, and as a consequence of that they're required to either have insurance or post a bond. So there are other options.

If Congress wants to make insurance mandatory for operation of recreational sUAS in the airspace, fine. But they haven't.
you don't think the mandated membership in the AMA for clubs that are sponsored by the AMA, is a step towards mandated insurance coverage?. it all has to start somewhere..... and if they can get the ball rolling with what i'll call "voluntarily co-operative compliance",...all the better and all the easier to make a mandate in the future. think about hunter safety programs. (i'm not saying it's a bad thing here, just using it as a example) they started out as a highly suggested activity for young hunters and now you have to take the classes to hunt if you are under a certain age everywhere in the country and in some states everyone of all ages has to have the class. when the percentage of participants gets great enough co-operation with a mandate is just a small step,.....it's just a matter of time. unfortunately the very approach to mandating the requirement is what is also stagnating participation in the hobby.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:19 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some clubs seem to always have have a "click" and if your not in it. the fun is just not there. That is why members break away & find a private place to fly. Most times the private places to fly the group is small & have more fun. AMA is good t have, but not needed at some of these places as there is nothing around of any expense to damage. It works for a lot of folks.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:31 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by revmix
I was a member once for a year, now tinkering with r/c on my property
What's the reason that the hobbyists have to be in clubs?
Before 2012 it wasn't an issue, after sec.336 came this one-size-fits-all idea, now the hobby individual reg.ID is good enough,
Why push something that's unwanted by many?
I agree 100% Thanks
Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

many areas, membership in a club is the only way to have a decent and dedicated area to fly in. if the field is privately owned and the owners' insurer is aware of the AMA coverage,....you can bet they are going to require it to maintain thier coverage of the field.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:17 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by captinjohn
Some clubs seem to always have have a "click" and if your not in it. the fun is just not there. That is why members break away & find a private place to fly. Most times the private places to fly the group is small & have more fun. AMA is good t have, but not needed at some of these places as there is nothing around of any expense to damage. It works for a lot of folks.
I can see where you are coming from here but you also need to remember that you are the new guy in that situation. It is up to you to present yourself in a social manner. Every club that I have visited and/or been a member of has welcomed me and my wife with open arms. Whenever there is a get together of a certain number of people, there will always be the element of " the cool crowd ", been that way for centuries. You had to deal with it in school and then later in life at the job so why should an R/C club be any different?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:07 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF I were a member it would be because I have to be. But the last club I belonged to is no more. And though asked, the AMA did nothing to help. I now fly from my own property even though there is a local club now. I simply want nothing to do with the AMA any longer. I no longer believe they place the interests of the hobby above their own interests.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:14 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

I can see where you are coming from here but you also need to remember that you are the new guy in that situation. It is up to you to present yourself in a social manner. Every club that I have visited and/or been a member of has welcomed me and my wife with open arms. Whenever there is a get together of a certain number of people, there will always be the element of " the cool crowd ", been that way for centuries. You had to deal with it in school and then later in life at the job so why should an R/C club be any different?
My career took me all over the place so I have been a member of half a dozen clubs and access to a good half dozen more. I have seen clubs at both ends of the social spectrum. My test has always been to go to their field and quietly stand there and watch. And see how long it takes for anyone to come up and introduce themselves. Been to several clubs where I stood there for over an hour and no one came up. No one said boo to me. Even though many had the opportunity. But been to other clubs where someone was striking up the conversation almost before I got out of the car. The latter I would consider joining. The former obviously don't need my participation.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:14 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Appowner
My test has always been to go to their field and quietly stand there and watch. And see how long it takes for anyone to come up and introduce themselves. Been to several clubs where I stood there for over an hour and no one came up. No one said boo to me. Even though many had the opportunity. But been to other clubs where someone was striking up the conversation almost before I got out of the car. The latter I would consider joining. The former obviously don't need my participation.
And of course the flip side of this is the people who show up asking dozens of questions , never to be seen again when the cost of a basic trainer is mentioned . In life some folks are friendly , some aren't , and this basic fact of human nature permeates ALL aspects of social life , I guess I'm far too independent minded to care whose friendly or not in any of my various hobby endeavors . In this case I'm there to fly model airplanes , period , folks wanna be friendly and converse fine , folks want to be "Grumpy Gus" best of luck to em there are plenty of friendly people around that I don't give the grouches a second thought . Also of note , friendliness begets friendliness and standing amidst a group of folks who don't know who you are for a solid HOUR without uttering a word yourself just looks plain damn creepy , remember they are the already established group and you as the newcomer to the group very well could have been the one to say "Hi , just here to watch your planes fly" with a smile and I'll bet you'd have been welcomed far sooner than just standing there wordless , leaving them to wonder if your some terrorist or angry neighbor looking to kvetch about the noise ....
Old 06-16-2018, 11:17 AM
fliers1

When I belonged to clubs, if a spectator showed, someone in the club would immediately ask if the spectator had any interest in the hobby/sport. Whether they said they were or not, we would insist that they at least give flying one of our trainers a try, which we always had ready to fly.
More times than not, the spectator would take us up on our offer. We found it was the formula for signing up new members. I would usually be the only interested instructor there , so I would have the newbie fly for at least 15 minutes and have them make circuits and approaches and eventually assist them in a landing. Take about "where do I sign up and where can I buy a complete outfit?" As far as price,some had hobbies that were much more expensive so they were very surprised at how low a cost it would be.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:29 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of clubs tend to be or are just perceived to be clique-ish. I show up with in my old pick-up with my ancient flight box and my .40 glow powered sport plane along side the guy with the much newer truck and a enclosed trailer full of big beautiful 3D flyers. I just figure we`re both therefor the same thing. He might be looking down his nose at me a little bit, but what the heck. I built most of my planes and his are all ARFs. He may be a little shy like I am. I doubt he`s interested in watching me fly a few boring loops and spins, but that's ok. I enjoy watching him make his plane look like a helicopter. I`m new to this club but I`m gonna hang in there. I`m getting to know some of the guys better and you usually find that you have quite a bit in common.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:41 PM
speedracerntrixie

I guess I just don't understand the mentality that an AMA club has to any different then what we encounter in real life. I do agree that when an unfamiliar face shows up that it would be best that someone within the club approach them. For that reason I will if I am able to give them a " Hello ". This way they realize that I am open to conversation should they choose. Sometimes those new faces just want to watch and not talk. Now if they happen to show up at a field that I am a guest and in the middle of a competition I can see where someone may perceive me as unwilling to be chatty. In other words visiting an AMA club is just like anything else you encounter. You don't always get an open arms welcome everywhere you go, sometimes you have to dig a little for that guy who has the time to spend with you.

This has NOTHING to do with the AMA. They are there to provide us with resources when they are able. It is the club's responsibility to reach out to the public in their region. As chances would have it my home club just had our annual open house. We gave introductory buddy box flights to over 20 people of all ages and gave demonstrations including sport, pylon, scale, 3D and pattern aircraft. I put on a composites workshop and we had 2 simulators running all day. This is what the club does on its own, AMA not involved other then some of us long time modelers feel that this is within the true spirit of what the AMA is.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:09 PM
init4fun

Well I'm glad I'm not alone in my belief that friendliness is a two way street and that the newcomer has just as much responsibility to reach out by saying hello as do the clubmembers . In fact , in my opinion the new person may even have a bit MORE responsibility to break the ice by saying something , even if it is just a simple "Hi" with a smile , first . This notion that the club should roll out the red carpet for anyone and everyone , including weird folks who would just stand there wordless , is not a belief that I'll ever subscribe to . Any of you members of a gun club ? Could you imagine if you and your fellow clubmates are all hanging around talking guns , shooting guns , and doing all the fun things gun club members do , and some dude shows up and just stands there for over an hour wordless ? How welcome do you think that guy would be , and why would that be any different for a model airplane club , a gun club , or even a flippin tiddleywinks collectors club for that matter ?

Also , I agree with the point of this NOT being an "AMA problem" . As I've said in the past in other AMA discussions when this subject has come up could you imagine the outcry if the AMA were to adopt some kind of "forced friendliness mandate" ? The AMA has tried in the past to encourage members to reach out to the community with things like the "sign 3 and you fly free" program but an actual "be nice or else" policy would go over like a literal lead balloon and would likely draw ire from folks even outside the model aviation hobby (ACLU maybe ?)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Appowner
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by init4fun
......................................Also of note , friendliness begets friendliness and standing amidst a group of folks who don't know who you are for a solid HOUR without uttering a word yourself just looks plain damn creepy , remember they are the already established group and you as the newcomer to the group very well could have been the one to say "Hi , just here to watch your planes fly" with a smile and I'll bet you'd have been welcomed far sooner than just standing there wordless , leaving them to wonder if your some terrorist or angry neighbor looking to kvetch about the noise ....
Actually I stood in the designated spectator area. So it should have been pretty obvious to the members what I was. And while there was occasion for members to walk by, it wasn't exactly located with "the group".

Maybe next time I'll ride the Harley to the site and stay on it as I cruise up and down the pit area looking at the planes. Maybe that will get someones attention?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM
speedracerntrixie

I would suggest a better approach would be to park the bike and walk up to a club member and say “ Hi, my name is Richard. Can I ask you a few questions?”.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Appowner
Banned

I would suggest a better approach would be to park the bike and walk up to a club member and say “ Hi, my name is Richard. Can I ask you a few questions?”.
I was being sarcastic! However, a thought occurs to me. A flying site has something to offer. So approaching it as a stranger is not unlike a potential customer entering a store. How many times have you gone into a store looking for something but couldn't find it? But while looking you encountered numerous employees of the store. Yet not a one of them asked if they could help you.

Would you buy anything at that store?

Last edited by Appowner; 06-20-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:54 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good point!
Old 06-20-2018, 03:55 PM
speedracerntrixie

I will certainly say we have different perspectives. As for your store example, my LHS is owned by a man named Chet. I usually get helped by Rob, Joe or Andrew. I know them by name because I have put forth the effort to get to know them. For my efforts they know me and my wife by name and I get great service. I however did not expect the same level of service the first time I walked into the place. I had to take the initiative first. The same can be said for any situation when you are the unknown person. I do not expect that sort of situation from other stores such as Home Deopt etc. When I require help, I ask for it politely.

As an AMA club member I am not selling anything. I am there to enjoy my hobby. I really have no responsibility towards anyone else at the field other then to operate in a safe manner. That being said, if anyone approaches me and starts up a conversation I will do my part as a good ambassador to promote our hobby. IMO it is up to the new face to establish contact. This demonstrates interest on your part, lets other guys know that you are open to conversation.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:43 AM
Appowner
Banned

I will certainly say we have different perspectives. As for your store example, my LHS is owned by a man named Chet. I usually get helped by Rob, Joe or Andrew. I know them by name because I have put forth the effort to get to know them. For my efforts they know me and my wife by name and I get great service. I however did not expect the same level of service the first time I walked into the place. I had to take the initiative first. The same can be said for any situation when you are the unknown person. I do not expect that sort of situation from other stores such as Home Deopt etc. When I require help, I ask for it politely.

As an AMA club member I am not selling anything. I am there to enjoy my hobby. I really have no responsibility towards anyone else at the field other then to operate in a safe manner. That being said, if anyone approaches me and starts up a conversation I will do my part as a good ambassador to promote our hobby. IMO it is up to the new face to establish contact. This demonstrates interest on your part, lets other guys know that you are open to conversation.
The LHS is a small specialty store where everyone has a common interest. I have the same relationships at my local Harley dealer and gun store. But it didn't happen over night. Try it in a Home Depot, Walmart or similar and see what happens.

Does your club seek/desire more members?
If yes, then you must offer something to draw in the new members.
If no, then please continue as before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.