Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Poll , Are you an AMA member because you WANT to be , or because you HAVE to be ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Are you an AMA member because you want to be , or because you have to be ?
Want to be
34.72%
Have to be
65.28%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Poll , Are you an AMA member because you WANT to be , or because you HAVE to be ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:31 AM
geezopeet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had enough land to fly to fly off of, I would dump the A.M.A in a heartbeat. I have been flying rc since 1964, and have been around to see most off the changes to the a.m.a. now its all about the fifty dollar foamys, and drones, and not much else matters.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:06 PM
GeoffS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I'm in the "none of the above" category.

Before the 2018 FAA Re-authorization recreational rules changes I mostly flew under Part 107 because the old "not within 5 miles from an airport or helipad" restriction basically eliminated almost everyplace near where I live. When LAANC came on-line for my local airport that opened up even more possibilities.
Now that recreational flyers are not restricted from flying near airports (at least when using the FAA interim guidelines), and LAANC is available for recreational flying, I don't remember logging a 107 flight.

With that said, I recently looked at the AMA insurance exclusions and got a nice and very complete reply from Ilona Maine at the AMA about insurance coverage when flying in parks and other locations that aren't official flying fields.

I am now seriously considering becoming a "want to be" AMA member.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:43 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoffS
.... I recently looked at the AMA insurance exclusions and got a nice and very complete reply from Ilona Maine at the AMA about insurance coverage when flying in parks and other locations that aren't official flying fields.
Back a number of years ago the AMA had it's very own discussion forum hosted on the AMA's website (which was eventually axed due to rampant Trolling , go figure ) , and Mrs. Maine posted this answer to a member who asked if the AMA insurance only covered a member when flying at an AMA sanctioned club field ;

"As long as your flying somewhere that hasn't prohibited flying , and your faithfully following the AMA Safety code , your covered"
Old 10-29-2019, 03:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

That you're not covered if you're not an AMA field is a WIVES TALE/INTERNET MYTH that has been busted numerous times
Old 10-29-2019, 06:06 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
That you're not covered if you're not an AMA field is a WIVES TALE/INTERNET MYTH that has been busted numerous times
Yes , it's amazing how many people still believe that myth , that's why it was SO great that Mrs. Maine clarified the truth regarding the insurance coverage back when the AMA forum was active .
Old 10-29-2019, 07:44 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Human nature to beleive what you want to beleive. Prime example is a non AMA member telling others the safety atmosphere at Cub sites or that a Canadian modeler who frequents AMA club sites has no business discussing AMA matters. Andy, is it not against RCU rules to attempt to exclude members from threads based on nationality?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:45 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Human nature to beleive what you want to beleive. Prime example is a non AMA member telling others the safety atmosphere at Cub sites or that a Canadian modeler who frequents AMA club sites has no business discussing AMA matters. Andy, is it not against RCU rules to attempt to exclude members from threads based on nationality?
Please , my friend , leave that other thread to itself , and let's let this thread be about itself rather than become an extension of that other thread .

Got my November MA today , I kinda like the Peanut scale 1909 Wright military flyer ...
Old 10-29-2019, 10:04 AM
BarracudaHockey

I'm partial to that Fusion heli article
Old 10-29-2019, 10:16 AM
speedracerntrixie

Im partial to the members models section.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:33 AM
init4fun

You did a great review of that Heli , to see that the Blade has evolved with the carbon fiber frames and lots of machined aluminum parts is really cool . I thought your description of the smart flybarless controller was interesting and good for you describing how it helped to trim out the forward drift you experienced with it during your first test hover

Im partial to the members models section.
I ALWAYS check out that section first !!! I love seeing what everyone else is flying , there is a pretty cool variety of RC models there for sure .
Old 10-29-2019, 10:38 AM
speedracerntrixie

You should be able to recognize one model in particular.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:39 AM
BarracudaHockey

Thanks!!
Old 10-29-2019, 10:56 AM
init4fun

You should be able to recognize one model in particular.
Yes indeed , your Divergent is one sweet looking model . How do you charge a 10 cell battery , as a pair of 5 cells or do you have a charger that'll charge/balance 10 cells all at once ?

Thanks!!
Your welcome , your article was very well written and I enjoyed reading it .

I of course expected the NATS coverage , but what I also really liked was seeing the coverage of the NAR festival held at Muncie back in the Summer . If it weren't for model planes , Lionel trains , and Estees rockets I wouldn't have had anything fun to play with all these years except for maybe women , and we all know how dangerous THEY can be
Old 10-29-2019, 11:08 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yes, I run two 5s packs in series. My charging station are a couple ISDT Q6 chargers running off a single 75 amp power supply.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:06 PM
init4fun

Nice setup ! So is it true that LIPO chargers today still can do up to a 5 or 6 cell pack only , as it was back when I bought my chargers (I have a pair of oldie but goodie Hyperion chargers that I think can do up to a 6 cell) ?

It's funny , I own more fuel powered planes than electric , but I seem to fly my electric planes more
Old 10-29-2019, 05:14 PM
speedracerntrixie

There are versions of the Cellpro chargers that will do up to 10 cells. I opted for the dual charger setup do that if one of them failed I would be able to function through a pattern contest. Having to ask other guys to charge your batteries can be a bit stressful and while competing I like to be as stress free as possible.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 PM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yes indeed , your Divergent is one sweet looking model . How do you charge a 10 cell battery , as a pair of 5 cells or do you have a charger that'll charge/balance 10 cells all at once ?

Your welcome , your article was very well written and I enjoyed reading it .

I of course expected the NATS coverage , but what I also really liked was seeing the coverage of the NAR festival held at Muncie back in the Summer . If it weren't for model planes , Lionel trains , and Estees rockets I wouldn't have had anything fun to play with all these years except for maybe women , and we all know how dangerous THEY can be
Women! Now there is something we need better safety practices to follow for the care and handling of! Maybe there should even be a test we are required to pass before getting involved with them!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmors
Women! Now there is something we need better safety practices to follow for the care and handling of! Maybe there should even be a test we are required to pass before getting involved with them!
Not happening. I've been married twice(still married to #2), had many female friends over the years and can tell you that no training or safety practice listing will help any guy out in dealing with them. In my many years of trying to understand them, I've learned that they are beyond understanding and will always frustrate the hell out of us. On the flip side, if you can find one that you can relate to in some way, that's one to grab on to. IF you don't, you may never get another chance
Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 PM
speedracerntrixie

Find a woman that not only can call the pylons for you but one who will do it with Leapord print gloves and ribbons on her hard hat.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:57 PM
jcmors

Find a woman that not only can call the pylons for you but one who will do it with Leapord print gloves and ribbons on her hard hat.
That would be one lucky fellow!
Old 11-01-2019, 08:13 PM
speedracerntrixie

I thank my lucky stars every day. She goes to each and every event with me. Gave up racing a few years ago but she still calls for me in pattern contests and is my timer at Soaring contests.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:16 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Just a bunch of hypocrites in here.
If you would like to post about something other than the topic at hand, start a new thread.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:53 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog
Just a bunch of hypocrites in here.
If you would like to post about something other than the topic at hand, start a new thread.

What, was it bothering you that we were all getting along for a few posts?
Old 11-02-2019, 08:12 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

What, was it bothering you that we were all getting along for a few posts?
No, it bothered me that you constantly complain about keeping threads relevant and then post off-topic yourself. Is that a difficult concept for you?
Old 11-02-2019, 08:16 AM
speedracerntrixie

If you hadn't noticed the tread topic had pretty well played out. You are just going to have to wait until another one comes up to get your argument fix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.